AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Infinite Stratos

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-02-13, 17:28   Link #41
Seihai
スマイリウム

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasDingus View Post
Now I'm probably just being silly at this point, but wouldn't all of Ichika's actions up to this point be consistent with him being gay? It's not that he hasn't chosen a girl so much that he seems completely indifferent to his entire harem. He has a legion of attractive women practically throwing themselves at him and rather than taking advantage of all of them, or choosing one, or even pondering his circumstances he seems completely indifferent to all of it. It's as if he doesn't consider any of these girls to be potential lovers but rather they're all just potential friends.

The only person he shows any interest towards is "Charles." But in this case he seems almost too friendly. He seems to be interested in physical closeness in addition to emotional closeness as evidenced by his holding Charles close in various scenes as well as his desire to change with Charles. Then he goes ahead and walks in while Charles is in the shower, which seemed odd to me, but his reaction after seeing Charles' "assets" was more telling in my mind. He seemed almost horrified like he realized the man he had been attracted to was actually a woman. Then the icing on the cake is when Charlotte's breasts touch his arm and she asks if he wants to see them. His reaction is not one of confirmation or a hasty denial but rather confusion, as if he never considered such a thing.

I have no serious expectation that this would be the case but it is a fun alternate character interpretation and it amuses me that all of the events so far could be consistent with a gay harem lead.
First a Magical Girl deconstruction, then a harem deconstruction? Urobuchi Gen doesn't have influence on Infinite Stratos, does he?

On a bit less unserious note:

His personality is quite dense and he's the act-before-think type of guy. He possibly even leaves the "think" part away in some circumstances. Add the possibility that since he is the only guy in the academy, he is already used to skimpy beauties and the majority of them which yearns after him. So it could be that he has a hard time differentiating flag and non-flag, and that he knows one girl more than another wouldn't play a big factor in this either.

About "Charles": he was just very happy that there's another guy. You know, I have a real life example that could standardize things. In 11th grade a transfer student befriended me. He was very direct with me (and some others), he even asked me to eat together with him, or take a shower with him after P.E. Any ulterior meaning? Nope, he just didn't want to be "alone". He does have a girlfriend, too, so yeah (bleh...).

About the fact that he walked in on Charlotte's assets: looks like a normal reaction to me. He just didn't see that coming. If it wasn't just for natural speechlessness in that situation, the fact that Charlotte was supposed to be "Charles" might've created the after effect that there was no need to scream in such a situation (or whatever usually happens). I assume what was more prioritized than to get embarassed was to think about just why she is a girl and not a guy, and why she needs to hide that fact. There was obviously good reason for it, or a problem that might've been very uncomfortable for her (on top of being seen naked that is). Well, those things were clearly wondered by Ichika when he sat on the bed silently. To our relief, the issue was solved between the two.

Ichika was the one who reminded Charlotte that her breasts were touching his arm. And he was the one who reminded her that her zipper exposed her breasts, too. He looked embarassed as well so those speak for his straightness. As for his reaction towards Charlotte's suspicion that he might want to touch them after all... well, I can only say that he is dense and he's either used to those situations (nah). Or he just simply never got that close in such a natural way although he >is< surrounded by girls' bodies. But the way the Harem triplettes cling to Ichika are different to Charlotte's and Ichika's interactions.

Actually, the one thing that I can't come up with an argument against is the fact that Ichika ran away with "Charles" holding hands. That is definitely not a common thing between boys. And does he really expect that "Charles" can't keep up with his pace that he has to take him by hand so he can come along? Ironically, you didn't mention that fact.

Last edited by Seihai; 2011-02-13 at 18:02.
Old 2011-02-13, 21:18   Link #42
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanish View Post
The thing is he doesn't notice.
doesn't notice or doesn't want to notice? That is the question.
Old 2011-02-13, 21:23   Link #43
Taufiq91

@DasDingus

Or maybe the IS Institute made him Dense/Asexual/Gay before enrolling so that they won't ruin the morale of the students due to romance.
Old 2011-02-14, 00:32   Link #44
demonfang

Or Chifuyu could be emitting a "Keep Ichika dense so that these thieving cat burglars won't steal my Ichika away from me" aura.
Old 2011-02-14, 00:37   Link #45
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonfang View Post
Or Chifuyu could be emitting a "Keep Ichika dense so that these thieving cat burglars won't steal my Ichika away from me" aura.
Chifuyu isn't that mean. Besides, with her relationship with Tabane, she could simply as that bunny-ears to sabotage the girls' IS-es.

P.S Someone should actually make IS models to replace the Viking templates in Starcraft 2.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-02-14, 10:55   Link #46
Blue-Ultimate
Strategic Impersonator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taufiq91 View Post
@DasDingus

Or maybe the IS Institute made him Dense/Asexual/Gay before enrolling so that they won't ruin the morale of the students due to romance.
I think it was his friend that made him slighty gay if I where to look at this image

Old 2011-02-14, 18:49   Link #47
Himeji
Twintails are wintails!

I've noticed an interesting thing - the ED contains an indication of how close each girl currently is to Ichika

Episode 1:
Only Houki is there yet, who is not running particularly close to Ichika.

Episode 2:
Cecil has joined, and has relegated Houki to the back seat.
Cecil isn't running too close to Ichika either, though.

Episode 3:
Just the same as episode 2.
Cecil is running first after Ichika, and Hoiki is running second.

Episode 4:
Rin joined in as the third girl.
Rin takes the spot right after Ichika, and other than Cecil and Hoki before, she's running very close to Ichika.
Behind Rin, Houki overtook Cecil who is now running last.

Episode 5:
No change to episode 4.
Rin is first, running close, followed by Houki as second and Cecil as third.

Episode 6:
Charlotte joined in.
She manages to get the first place right away, running close.
Houki and Cecil maintain their second and third place, respectively.
Rin seems to have totally fallen from grace, from first in the two episodes before to a meager last place, running as fourth.
Old 2011-02-14, 18:52   Link #48
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

One can wonder why Charles is "very" "very" close to Ichika compared to how close Rin was... This might be implying something very important here..
Old 2011-02-14, 19:18   Link #49
Himeji
Twintails are wintails!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
One can wonder why Charles is "very" "very" close to Ichika compared to how close Rin was... This might be implying something very important here..
Yes, and Charlotte even seems much more adept at handling Ichika than the other girls
In such a short time only, she already got him to feed her. If it goes on like this, we'll have a definite couple, even with ultra-dense Ichika.
Old 2011-02-14, 19:37   Link #50
Taufiq91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-Ultimate View Post
I think it was his friend that made him slighty gay if I where to look at this image

hmm, reminds me of that "How i know you're gay" scene from 40 Year Old virgin:

Old 2011-02-15, 00:36   Link #51
DasDingus
Dango Daikaizoku

Quote:
hmm, reminds me of that "How i know you're gay" scene from 40 Year Old virgin:
Dan: Know how I know you're gay?

Ichika: How?

Dan: Because you're the only boy in an all girls school and you haven't made a move on any of them yet.
Old 2011-02-15, 21:22   Link #52
Taufiq91

Dan: you hit on a Hot French girl when she dressed as a man.
Old 2011-02-15, 22:31   Link #53
SoFarGone
H.A.M.

I doubt the 4th girl that appears in series would win.
Old 2011-02-15, 22:32   Link #54
lightsenshi
Author

Quote:

Either that or he's really perceptive....

Nah, he's gay.
Old 2011-02-16, 00:48   Link #55
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

That's fine, I'll take the spoils that he leaves behind.

What he should do is get to training to use that sword's Barrier Void aspect better. Turning it on and off within a second to conserve the energy as well as improving his overall agility & speed (dodging & manuvers) as well as his endurance (how long he can dodge/manuver quickly)(I'm sure the girls would love to help him work on that one ). For me, that just means some bonding time with my world-champion Chifuyu-nee. Despite her saying she won't favor Ichika, she kinda has to in order for him to learn how to use that sword of hers.
Old 2011-02-19, 13:42   Link #56
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsenshi View Post
Either that or he's really perceptive....

Nah, he's gay.
Quote:

It was bound to happen... I feel sad for the other girls who fell for Ichika...

But I really do like Vanish's take on what lead Ichika to be completely dense to girls that might actually love him, and the majority of other girls who like him since he is the only guy in the academy. Of course we are introduced to all the girls in the academy liking Ichika and just falling head over heels for him, he simply can't tell if Rin/Cecilia/Houki/Charles actually love him, or just sharing in with the other girls in the academy by joining in with them.
Old 2011-02-20, 03:12   Link #57
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

From what I've noticed in real life...

Actually, Ichika might simply be oblivious to such things. He might suspect, but then dismiss those suspicions. As an example, there have been several girls who bit the bullet and confessed to me. In my previous interactions with them I hadn't seen anything. But then after the confessions, I looked back and with hindsight it's all clear. Problem was, I'd had hints but ignored them, thinking that nobody'd be interested in me.

Another, more crucial point: he's the only guy in the world who can operate an IS. He's the younger brother of the mighty Chifuyu. He has a lot to live up to. He can't be thinking of romantic entanglements, he's got to concentrate on what's more important: school and piloting.

Besides, let's face it, if he got serious with any of the haremettes, Chifuyu would find out and kick his ass for slacking off. Possibly with Cutlass.

...and also because Chifuyu-nee is the only real answer for a pairing with Ichika...

*Goose is shot repeatedly by Outer Cadian snipers*

I believe in miracles.

Old 2011-02-20, 08:51   Link #58
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
*Goose is shot repeatedly by Outer Cadian snipers*
Scratch one pervert.

Ichika should go with Houki. Charlotte is wasted on him. She should be with me!

*fleez from half a dozen fanboys*
Old 2011-02-20, 10:58   Link #59
Pocky Yoshi
Disabled By Request

Ichika is those "been there, done that" leads that you have to turn off your brain to. However, he has this whole series or so to prove that he is worth it. So far, he's typical type guy everyone knows about.
Old 2011-02-25, 18:30   Link #60
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Is it just me or does Ichika have the most useless IS ever? He's got one short-ranged weapon in a sea of long-ranged fighters. The battles consist of him dodging bullets for 1/2 the time and chasing the opponent around for the other half.

Then, when he does finally get in to use his attack, he misses... constantly... using up his own shield power in the process, which, when he finally does get close enough to hit, causes him to power down and get destroyed.

I also don't get what the harem sees in him. He doesn't do ANYTHING. He loses--a lot-- and says a few nice words here and there. Honestly, if it wasn't for the fact that he's the only guy in an all girl's school, I doubt anyone would even give him a second glance. It's kind of like a woman going into a man's prison-- doesn't matter what she looks like or how she acts, she's still a woman.

There's a lot of good harem leads out there, and a lot of bad ones. Ichika is near the bottom of the list as one of the most useless I've seen, just above Haruto from KNIM.

And I will never understand what the Japanese audience sees in loser and/or butt monkey protagonists. I can understand that the author's want to make characters that appeal to the reader, but I highly doubt Japanese men are anywhere near as pathetic as some of these leads are. I'd prefer characters that are more well-rounded and average-- people who have strengths and weaknesses-- instead of guys who just suck at everything.

Tags
characters