AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-07-27, 18:15   Link #121
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I should mention that even though Pacal owns the city of Chichen Itza, I have the actual wonder which gives me +25% in all cities.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 19:40   Link #122
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Games over folks. Here's a brief outlay of our last few turns Archon style:

Spoiler for African Resources:

Spoiler for Versailles:

Spoiler for Permanent Alliance:

Spoiler for Vassalage:

Spoiler for Eiffel Tower Signals The Final Countdown:

Spoiler for Victory:

Spoiler for My place in history:

Spoiler for The Aftermath:
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 19:45   Link #123
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Anyhow, it wasn't long before Kaioshin and I signed our (un)holy alliance. After that it was just a matter of time. Interestingly, Khan had joined our cause for some reason as a vassal.

The election was a astounding success, with over 90% of the delegates voting for the Egyptian/French empire. It appears the message was not a waste of time. Although there are still a few skeptical unfaithful ones, they will be dealt in due time.

And thus, without a single shot being fired in the last hundred years, finally peace could be achieved. The world accepted the new religious order and would enter a new era of prosperity. Sure, many soldiers died, and a few civilizations were subjugated or wiped out, but the ends justify the means. They all were sacrificed for a good cause. We can finally have a world without war, or at least a need for me to instigate any more...

And thus, the leaders of the individual nations set aside their pride, and bowed. They should all have been honored, since they were the first witnesses to the birth of the god of the new world. No longer would this year be known as 1660 AD, but year zero of the new age.

*Insert Death Notey music here*

Some side notes and stats:
Demographics (with broadway and stuff even happiness and health weren't big issues):

Army stats:

Great people stats:

Military Power:

Culture

Production

Top 5 cities:

Spoiler for Nidaros:

Spoiler for Cahokia:

Spoiler for Thebes:

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2011-07-27 at 20:31.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-29, 16:15   Link #124
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

questions for the civ 5 owners.

did civ5 ever fix the Navy and aircraft issues? That Aircrafts can't destroy land or naval units and Battleships being the most powerful naval unit. And is the game still limiting the number of missiles on Cruisers and Jet crafts on Carriers?
Old 2011-07-29, 16:31   Link #125
Kyuu
=^^=

Hmm, I'm trying to think. Can you sink other ships using ships and planes? Yes.

Can they destroy land units? Gosh... trying to think here... I believe that's a "yes". But don't take my word for it. XD

And yes, ships are limited in the number of stuff they carry. And this game needs transports back again. I just don't like the idea of units able to build boats on their own once they jump in the water.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-29, 17:51   Link #126
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

The worst is the pathfinding being retarded and it decides to swim across, promptly getting eaten by a enemy ship or whatever.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-07-29, 18:53   Link #127
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
questions for the civ 5 owners.

did civ5 ever fix the Navy and aircraft issues? That Aircrafts can't destroy land or naval units and Battleships being the most powerful naval unit. And is the game still limiting the number of missiles on Cruisers and Jet crafts on Carriers?
Aircraft can destroy land and naval units. Battleships are kind of so-so IMO, but I'm a stickler for the maneuverability of higher movement naval units. Missiles/nukes/fighters on carriers is still limited, but in the end game missile duty is split between nuclear subs and missile cruisers.

Pretty stupid how even archers are guaranteed one damage on my stealth bombers in retaliation.
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-02, 05:39   Link #128
Kyuu
=^^=

How about Triangle Wars?

Basically:

A at war with B
A at war with C
B also at war with C

In short a warring circle jerk. XD

With the way I play -- even with Civ V... I usually devote TWO cities towards wonder building. 'cause I'm a wonder hog, However, in my current game, I'm a subject towards wars started by the AI... 'cause like the cheaters they are -- have a pretty darned good idea what my army strength is... which ain't all that much.

So, I have two enemy countries at war with me. Thanks to a choke point, I don't require all that much anyways to hold 'em off. And then eventually, they declared war on each other -- while both still fighting me. And quite frankly, that arrangement is awefully silly, don't ya think?
Old 2011-08-02, 19:10   Link #129
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Its simple, B is mad at C for not destroying A fast enough. So B thinks he/she can defeat C, take all of his/her properties, and use it against A
Old 2011-08-02, 19:19   Link #130
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

That seems to be another retarded aspect of Civ V's AI; they can and will declare war when they're already preoccupied with another war. Tends to lead to epic fail.

Haven't they heard of "enemy mine" and not attack people who have a mutual enemy with them? Then again it's Civ V, so retarded things aren't hard to miss.

In IV, once the AI is planning war, it cannot be lured into another war unless you reject a demand.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-08-02, 19:58   Link #131
Kyuu
=^^=

Actually, this Triangle War setup has been in existence since Civ II. So, after all this time, they never really did get rid of that. Although, in IV, that was actually reduced by applying attributes that may or may not set one nation more aligned against another. For example, nations of similar "religions" have a greater chance of not declaring war with each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves
Its simple, B is mad at C for not destroying A fast enough. So B thinks he/she can defeat C, take all of his/her properties, and use it against A
And it's quite amusing "winning" a defensive war given that scenario.
Old 2011-08-02, 20:06   Link #132
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Well, the thing is, in IV the AI would fight one war at a time. If it sees and someone else fighting the same person then they will frequently align. That actually makes sense.

What doesn't make sense is declaring war when you already have problems.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-08-06, 20:01   Link #133
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

*Bump*, for purposes of entertainment and attention whoring, I’ve uploaded another session of Civ IV in case you were curious on how to play starts. I also managed to record it in full screen by lowering the resolution; however the screen sometimes glitches in between turns later on which can be distracting. However, I really don’t expect anyone to watch all 1hr45min of me failing to conduct a strategy; skimming and using full screen is suggested.
Playing in full screen does make life easier as keyboard scrolling sucks, but those graphic glitches are annoying. Hopefully upgrading those video drivers for next time will help. On the other hand, the early game is what really matters anyways. Most mistakes are made there and have a snowball effect. You could play the modern age like complete crap and it won’t matter if you have a really solid start.
It was played on Prince difficulty, normal speed, on the Terra map. Ironically the new world was completely ignored by me, defeating the purpose of the map. :S
Same basic strat as last time, but with slightly better control since I’m not playing in window mode. Get a decent amount of land, find horses, and invent rifles without dying, typically by appeasing everyone before that at every given opportunity to build up relations, and then backstab them when you have the advantage. Then use it to capture enough votes to win a diplomatic victory. One of these days I’ll go for some high tech conquest win, but that late game lag while recording turns me off. More thoughts can be found in the video descriptions.
Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWPEIJLLF5A
Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP7la2L9vMk
Part 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waq0Yoq6ntc
Part 4:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdVkf83-RGg
Part 5:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeoLkBauuC4
Part 6:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZovQnrlJU4
Part 7:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svNVa8rM7eM
Part 8:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOynPsLcvg8
Part 9 (final):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pfZfFC33c8

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2012-01-30, 02:11   Link #134
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

*bump* Damn tumbleweeds!
Oy, this should really just be a "general Civilization thread" since I don't feel like we need to start one for each game, but for more Civ 4 lols. I will hint that a certain associate of mine and me are engaged in yet another life and death struggle vs malicious AI that has been put off due to damn RL reasons. If my comp doesn't lag to hell, I'd like to record that too.

Oh, and I've been hearing reports from a few of you guys that warring in Civ IV is hard past the easy difficulties, if not impossible, due to the damn RNG and massive city defense bonuses It is indeed annoying but, well I'll leave you with this game I played that was offered lately on civfanatics. Sometimes there are attack forces, and sometimes there are actual armies.

Spoiler for look at the event log on the right, goes from down to up:

Oh no, this capital is pathetic. It takes this capital an entire 2 turns to make infantry. What a failure. This war is obviously lost.

Spoiler:

But what if they miraculously hold me off? Well... halfway across the world, there's already a new army waiting to pick up the slack.

Spoiler:

MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2012-01-30 at 02:28.
Old 2012-02-16, 18:29   Link #135
Kyuu
=^^=

Well, here's some big news on Civ V:

Quote:
Tons of New Stuff. I know I just mentioned it, but I want to draw attention to just how many new things we've got here: 27 new units, 13 new buildings, 9 new wonders, and 9 new playable civilizations. Among the new civilizations are the Netherlands (William I, Prince of Orange), the Celts (Boudicca), and the Mayans (Pacal the Great).

Religion. That's right; quite possibly the most requested major addition to the game is coming in the Gods & Kings expansion. Using the new "Faith" resource, you'll be able to found your own religion and grow it from a simple Pantheon of the Gods to a world-spanning fully-customized religion.

Reworked Combat System. The expansion has a reworked combat system along with an AI that places more emphasis on balanced army composition. Among the changes to the combat system is the addition of melee naval units, which will force you to really rethink the way you execute your naval assaults.

Enhanced Diplomacy, with Espionage. In addition to being able to establish embassies with your rival civilizations, spies will now be an important part of how you conduct your foreign affairs. Surveilling foreign cities, stealing advanced techs, and garnering influence with city-states are some of the things you'll be able to do with this new powerful mechanic.

New City-States. With religion being added to the game, it only made sense to introduce Religious city-states which will interact with your religion in special ways. In addition, Mercantile city-states will be attractive for those of you who love to grow your civilization's treasury. All city-states will use the greatly expanded quest system, making city-states more dynamic and diplomatic victories more challenging, while decreasing the importance of gold when dealing with city-states.

New Scenarios. Three new scenarios will be coming in Civilization V: Gods & Kings. Experience the fall of Rome, explore the medieval era, and my personal favorite: a unique scenario in a Victorian science-fiction setting.
http://www.2kgames.com/blog/civiliza...pack-announced

Well. This may give me reason to play the game again... as vanilla has been... too vanilla. (When it comes to ice cream, I prefer vanilla bean).

Anyways. Religion and Espionage. Oh, those two features alone has me willing to shell out another $40 or so on an expansion.
Old 2012-02-17, 08:12   Link #136
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

I'll have to watch a few playthroughs of the new "religion" feature before I decide to buy it.
Old 2012-02-19, 16:15   Link #137
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Oohh, they're finally adding things that they should have added in the first place. I can't wait.

Wonder if they'll fix the interface... or the AI. Oh wait, this is failaxis we're talking about here. After playing these Civ games for a while, they make Blizzard look like angels.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2012-05-29, 17:13   Link #138
Kyuu
=^^=

Well, I haven't kept up with the updates on this game:

http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread...uper-Sleuthing

$29.99, June 19th in America

Another $30 bucks, huh? Well, if that completes this game... then so be it.

Quote:
Computer Player AI
The AI is much more intelligent now in combat maneuvers and it's been stated specifically that the AI builds and deploys armies more intelligently, so hopefully there will be less zerg rushing and more proper use of ranged units. We're told that the AI can plan a betrayal 15 turns in advance now, and they have been programmed to intelligently plan amphibious invasions. Until we get to play it, it will be difficult to know exactly how much tougher the AI is.
OK. This upgrade better be in place.

Oh snap. More relevant uses for a Navy:

Quote:
G&K introduces Melee-type Boats that can capture coastal Cities. For instance, Battleships are ranged units, while Destroyers are melee and may therefore conquer Cities. All Embarked Units can now defend themselves and can stack with Naval units as if they were Civilian units. Siege units will be almost necessary to take Cities, especially those who've built Walls and Castles. They have a 200% bonus VS Cities and a lower base strength, meaning they're even worse when used VS units.
Old 2012-05-29, 17:22   Link #139
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Improving the AI isn't much to do.

Destroyers can conquer cities? What the shit? Unfortunately the changes seem to make combat even more convoluted, so no thanks. Cities are already stupidly hard to attack.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2012-05-29, 17:30   Link #140
RandySyler
Onee-Chan Power~!

That's mainly why I passed off buying Civ 5 the first time around, the combat system seemed terribly difficult and unnecessary. But it appears that the expansions aren't fixing that.

And why the hell can destroyers take cities?