AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-07-12, 03:43   Link #281
outcast_within
pita ten pyjama!

heeee, yaaahaah korre shinketsudondenai qweh qweh ....
taihennandeoi aaah wankeh aaah doshokahwa
yaah korewa tjotto mina ta.... ikuo ikuo ganbaraio

or sth like that :P
it cracked me up
Old 2007-07-12, 05:29   Link #282
Simon
気持ち悪い

EDIT: Sorry, wrong thread.

Last edited by Simon; 2007-07-12 at 05:48.
Old 2007-07-12, 09:37   Link #283
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
Another thing about Monkey Magic I really liked was that for at least a little bit, Kona was trying to translate the English into Japanese, kind of (tonaitto... tonaitto ga monkei no majikku da yo). I had assumed since I heard it as the short ED version that the English words were put on the screen instead of katakana, as AVPlaya said, because Kona was obviously having a lot of trouble.

Aah, so funny. x3
When I first heard her "attempts" at translation, I was a bit confused, but then I realized what she was trying to do. Since she saw there's only English on the screen and she can only pronounce "Monkey Magic", she tried the next best thing - she's going to translate the words into Japanese and then sing the translated Japanese - that's very otaku BTW. But then she run into a little problem: she can't translate them either. So she was just dying out there, hoping the entire song is made out of "Monkey Magic".

Near the end she was just begging for her life... this situation is highly embarrassing for an otaku. You're supposed to be "cool" knowing lyrics to obscure OPs, and there she was suffering worse than your average OL trying to sing Britney Spears. It was an apt punishment for her, I thought. Kagami-sama knows her too well, and put Kona in her place.

Why is Kagami the one she's begging? It's obvious that she's the Remote Master. Karaoke Systems in Japan are pretty similar - there's a huge catalog on the table and you order songs via a Remote-like device via number codes shown in the catalog. The remote also has functions like volume control, song skip and line cutting. Kona's in the front performing like a good little otaku, and kagami's there smiling with the remote in her hand. Kona can't do anything but keep performing if Kagami does nothing but looks at her with a smile in her eyes. The other two were probably enjoying the performance while pretending to be shocked by Kagami's "insensitivities".
Old 2007-07-12, 11:10   Link #284
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
When I first heard her "attempts" at translation, I was a bit confused, but then I realized what she was trying to do. Since she saw there's only English on the screen and she can only pronounce "Monkey Magic", she tried the next best thing - she's going to translate the words into Japanese and then sing the translated Japanese - that's very otaku BTW. But then she run into a little problem: she can't translate them either. So she was just dying out there, hoping the entire song is made out of "Monkey Magic".

Near the end she was just begging for her life... this situation is highly embarrassing for an otaku. You're supposed to be "cool" knowing lyrics to obscure OPs, and there she was suffering worse than your average OL trying to sing Britney Spears. It was an apt punishment for her, I thought. Kagami-sama knows her too well, and put Kona in her place.

Why is Kagami the one she's begging? It's obvious that she's the Remote Master. Karaoke Systems in Japan are pretty similar - there's a huge catalog on the table and you order songs via a Remote-like device via number codes shown in the catalog. The remote also has functions like volume control, song skip and line cutting. Kona's in the front performing like a good little otaku, and kagami's there smiling with the remote in her hand. Kona can't do anything but keep performing if Kagami does nothing but looks at her with a smile in her eyes. The other two were probably enjoying the performance while pretending to be shocked by Kagami's "insensitivities".
I never knew that's actually what happened. Thank you for the explanation.
Old 2007-07-12, 11:51   Link #285
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
So in the end, despite being one of the worst ED karaoke sessions L*S has had so far IMO, I really think the full version of Monkey Magic is shimmeringly awesome. >w<.b

(Hope I didn't mention this before, but..) I just got the BGM soundtrack recently as well, and even though there isn't all that many pieces on it, I *really* like it. L*S has some excellent BGM pieces.
Old 2007-07-12, 12:37   Link #286
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Alright since we're all loving Kona's Monkey Magic, here's the lyrics to the song which has tortured our little otaku to no end. THIS is what Kona's trying to pronounce/sing/translate:

[LYRICS DELETED SINCE IT'S IN THE NEXT POST]

NO WONDER she's dying. Just ask a Japanese to pronounced "cocky saucy monkey" or "The punkiest monkey that ever popped". "Pilgrimage"?! Poor Kona! Now I feel her pain...

katakana fun:

"cocky saucy monkey":
コーキー ソーシー モンキー
koukee soushii monkee

The punkiest monkey that ever popped:
ザプンキーエスト モンキー ザト エーバー ポップド
za punkee esuto monkee zato eebaa poppudo

Pilgrimage:
ピルグリマ-ジ
pirugurimaaji

All right:
オーライト!!!
She got this one alright!!! Yay Kona-chan!

Poor thing... I was too harsh on her. The lyrics are really difficult to pronounce AND rather too 70's funky to be translate by a Japanese otaku teenager. I can understand now why the song is in English; Katakana won't fit on the screen. If I ever go to a Japanese karaoke again, I will definately order this song.

I'll listen and try to catch which part she was trying to translate. I think I heard "magic trick". Anyone else like to share while I slave away at work?

Last edited by AVPlaya; 2007-07-12 at 22:08.
Old 2007-07-12, 21:42   Link #287
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Monkey Magic - Kona's Lyrics

Okay this is probably one of the craziest thing I've ever done. I have transcribed exactly what Kona sang during her rendition of "Monkey Magic", and compared them to the original lyrics. Now you will get to know exactly what transpired. And what I found out after repeated listening, was that Kagami-sama spoke. So here it is.

Here's Monkey Magic lyrics, Kona vs. original. The original in bold face, Kona lyrics in quotes, and I put parentheses around my English translations. My own comments are in square brackets. Please listen to the song as you read this. A link to a youtube version is hidden below; you can play it as you read the lyrics. Enjoy!

Spoiler for Expand to Play Youtube version of the full song:

==== Part I

[endless music...]

"Achaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!"

Born from an egg on a mountain top
"Boan furomu an egu on a montain... ah ba eh... (it's English so let's skip it)"

The punkiest monkey that ever popped
"Hmmm...eh..."

He knew every magic trick under the sun to tease the Gods
"Na..na..de..de..de..de.. Gotsu... ah... gotsu..."

[Gotsu=Gods?]

And everyone and have some fun
"Eh... eburi-uwan... ah.. minna kami, minna kami..."

[Minna kami = everyone's gods?]

==== CHORUS I

Monkey magic, Monkey magic, Monkey magic, Monkey magic
"Monkii majiku... monkii majiku... monkii maji... monkii majiku..."

"Monkii maji... (this is nakayama no hon) majiku...monkii maji... monkii ma...ji..."

[I can't understand that nakayama part...]

==== Part II

What a cocky saucy monkey this one is
"Eheheh..eh.. kuukii... kuukii a monkii de... ue.."

[Cookie monster?]

All the Gods were angered, and they punished him
"(This)...(this)... angu...de..."

[angu=anger?]

Until he was saved by a kindly priest
"Eeeeh.....ueeeeeeeeh! (What is this?)"

And that was the start of their pilgrimage west
"Sutaato! Sutaato! Se... pirigurimage uesuto..."

[Start and pilgrimage west! I'm impressed.]

==== CHORUS II

"Monkii majiku... monkii majiku... monkii majiku... monkii majiku..."

"Monkii (maybe we should stop here?) eh....majiku... majiku... monkii majiku..."

KAGAMI-SAMA: (It doesn't matter, just sing!)

[Kagami-sama puts her feet down. Kona will finish the song.]

==== Intermission Music

"Eeeeeeh... (that's enough)...(that's enough)... (I don't understand!)... (English study)... Eeeeee???!! (WAIT A SECOND! THE REMOTE IS REALLY GONE!! WAIT!!!) EEEEEEEEEH!!!! Eeee de... etou... ze.... eh... (here, here, I don't know! I don't know! I don't know the climax of the song!)"

[Kagami-sama hides the remote so no one can cancel the song.]

==== CLIMAX

With a little bit of monkey magic, there'll be fireworks tonight
"Eh... de...de... de...de..de.. tunaito tunaito... tunaito mo monkii no majiku de (tonight also with the monkey's magic)"

[Translation attempt start after learning remote is missing]

With a little bit of monkey magic, every thing will be all right
"Eh... de.. etou... Olai... Olai~~!"

[Alright!]

"Oh Ha Ugn.. (More? Really?) Eh.. oh (I'll continue... ready...)

==== Part I REPEAT

Born from an egg on a mountain top
"Boan furomu an egu on montain... mon..montain..."

The punkiest monkey that ever popped
"Za pin... Ah! Panku no monkii ga eburi poppu!! (punk monkey is a tree billboard)"

[First successful translation attempt! OLAI!]

He knew every magic trick under the sun to tease the Gods, and everyone and have some fun
"Hiii...hiii.... (Ah, he's not the son of magic... because it's majiku!).."

[Third translation attempt. "He" was perfect English!]

==== CHORUS FINAL

"Monkii majiku... monkii majiku... monkii magiku... monkii majiku..."

"Monkii majiku... monkii majiku... monkii majiku... monkii majiku..."

"(Ah, there more?!)... monkii majiku... monkii magiku... monkii majiku..."

"Monkii ma..ji... monkii majiku? Monkey Magic?!... MONKEY MAGIC!!!"

[Kona turning into gaijin due to endless humiliation.]

"(It is okay to stop it now?... cus I will study properly...) Hu..hu..... monkii majiku.. monkey magic! MAGIC!!!"

"(PLEASE I'm begging... STOP IT FOR ME... I'M SO SORRY KAGAMIN... KAGAMIN... KAGAMIN... KAGAMIN...)"

====

Corrections welcome! Don't you love them even more now???

Last edited by AVPlaya; 2007-07-15 at 15:13. Reason: Perfecting the transcription...
Old 2007-07-12, 21:56   Link #288
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Quote:
Okay this is probably one of the craziest thing I've ever done. I have transcribed exactly what Kona sang during her rendition of "Monkey Magic", and compared them to the original lyrics. Now you will get to know exactly what transpired. And what I found out after repeated listening, was that Kagami-sama spoke. I still can't believe I did this.
Ahh, you're so awesome for doing this! XD!! I really had no idea what some of the larger Engrish words Kona sang were - this really helped shed some light on it. I also didn't know Kagamiya spoke at all. It must've been fun (and a little frustrating) transcribing it ne.
Old 2007-07-12, 22:21   Link #289
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Owned. That's what they did.
Old 2007-07-13, 02:24   Link #290
Right

Hello.Have someone original version of Chijou no Hoshi?
Old 2007-07-13, 11:20   Link #291
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Ok of all the endings I think the Monkey Magic one was the most well thought out segment, the least being Sorega Ai Deshou. That's too hilarious looking to pass up listening too. Aya Hirano/Konata Izumi needs lessons from Moetan.
Old 2007-07-13, 12:10   Link #292
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
...Aya Hirano/Konata Izumi needs lessons from Moetan.
Aya spent a couple of years living in the US as an infant/toddler, but she mustn't have learned much English when she was there. The only English worse than this was her English in that one scene in class in Manabi Straight where she reads from a somewhat Moetan-like textbook. Tamura Yukari, however, says that when they offered her Moetan, she said she couldn't speak English at all, but they said it didn't matter. Yet her pronunciation there is pretty decent. I'm hoping Aya is mainly playing it in character, for laughs. But I doubt it.

By the way, big thanks to AVPlaya for the translation.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2007-07-13, 12:44   Link #293
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Me too, more because of the Mei scene in Manabi Straight than Monkey Magic, though; it wouldn't be OOC of Mei to be able to pronounce the English well enough that, well, at least *we* could understand her. It was also in a setting where Mei would be trying to do very well, which is why I believe that scene is pretty much the extent of how well Hirano can pronounce English.

And anyways, Monkey Magic's funny point is that Kona is stumbling over the English. Quite badly.
Old 2007-07-13, 14:36   Link #294
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Rissa-chan, I screwed up earlier:

Quote:
I think she's saying "Kona-chan, konno serifu watashi no uta kara, watashi ga utau kara" which I think means "Kona-chan, since this is my song I'm going to sing this part". I can barely make out the serifu part out, and so it's a guess, since serifu usually refer to lines in a play, but I think it can refer to song lyrics, not sure. Anyone else know what word is? I can't think of any other word that fits. Solo (ソロ)?
What Tsukasa really said was "Kona-chan, konno ZABI watashi no uta kara, watashi ga utau kara". サビ is usually used in conjunction with "dora" as in dramatic, which is what Kona said in Monkey Magic. A "dora zabi" is the highlight or climax of a song, thus "dramatic zabi". The word, as I've found, actually came from WASABI, as when you sing this part of the song your face's supposed to make the same dramatic impression of eating really hot wasabi.

The part Tsukasa wanted to sing was the high point of the song, and that's the part usually reserved for the person who ordered the song. Of course Kona didn't care, so two songs later Kagami avenged her sister with Monkey Magic. But then Kona had HER revenge two songs later with Kagami's "I'm Proud"... Let's just say that there's a lot of behind the scene emotional confrontations during this seemingly innocent karaoke session.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
It must've been fun (and a little frustrating) transcribing it ne.
It is fun but more than a little frustrating. I really don't mind hearing Monkey Magic like 20 times, but trying to figure out that one part I didn't understand was really bugging me. I think it was supposed to be a reference to the actual Monkey Magic MV they were looking at, and I know next to nothing about the show. I really wish some otaku-god will tell me, but as I searched and searched it seemed that no Japanese Otaku has done the insanity I've performed here yet. I'm sure it's coming soon enough.

A big you're welcome to everyone who has enjoyed this. I'm just glad you all love L*S enough to share my joy. I did this because this song is uniquely positioned for us foreign fans to enjoy: you have to understand the original English lyrics to get the laughs. I think this will only work in this forum. I can't stop laughing when I read the original lyrics, I just wish I had something like this, but when I heard KAGAMI-SAMA actually spoke in the song, I know I just have to do it. That sentence basically validated my guestimation that this song is about Kagami punishing Kona, and I just have to share it with everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Aya Hirano/Konata Izumi needs lessons from Moetan.
Hey, Kona-chan did say "Monkey MAGIC" like she was raised in Cali. But she could use some Moetan labulabu. I'm sure she'll skip the English part and drool on the moe part though.

Just think, if Aya-chan would have stayed in the US, then we would have one less seiyuu goddess, but she could have hanged with us on animesuki.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right View Post
Hello.Have someone original version of Chijou no Hoshi?
I don't and since it was a rather old single, I doubt anyone has it. Just buy it off amazon if you really wanted. Seach for these terms to try your luck:

中島みゆき (Nakajima Miyuki)
地上の星 (Chijou no Hoshi)

Last edited by AVPlaya; 2007-07-13 at 15:01.
Old 2007-07-13, 14:57   Link #295
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Aya spent a couple of years living in the US as an infant/toddler, but she mustn't have learned much English when she was there. The only English worse than this was her English in that one scene in class in Manabi Straight where she reads from a somewhat Moetan-like textbook. Tamura Yukari, however, says that when they offered her Moetan, she said she couldn't speak English at all, but they said it didn't matter. Yet her pronunciation there is pretty decent. I'm hoping Aya is mainly playing it in character, for laughs. But I doubt it.

By the way, big thanks to AVPlaya for the translation.
According to her panel at AX, she was in the US until she was 3. She can speak some english (intonations are better than most) and definitely understands some english said at her.
Old 2007-07-14, 15:26   Link #296
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

There's an interesting clip on nicovideo.jp that somehow mixes the original version of Sore ga Ai Desho by Shimokawa Mikuni (Wikipedia)with Konata's (Hirano Aya's) version from Lucky Star, so that they seem to be singing a duet. Really quite beautiful.

And it has got me looking for more music by Shimokawa. Here is her PV of Sore ga Ai Desho on YouTube.

And thanks for the info, bayoab.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2007-07-14, 16:08   Link #297
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
There's an interesting clip on nicovideo.jp that somehow mixes the original version of Sore ga Ai Desho by Shimokawa Mikuni (Wikipedia)with Konata's (Hirano Aya's) version from Lucky Star, so that they seem to be singing a duet. Really quite beautiful.

And it has got me looking for more music by Shimokawa. Here is her PV of Sore ga Ai Desho on YouTube.
Excellent links... They really have very similar voices don't they? It really does feel like a duet until Kona-chan showed up... I love it when Kona decided to show off by singing the zabi with both voices and keep telling the other three how great she was... This song is actually one of my favorites, right up there with Monkey Magic and Valentine Kiss. My wife and I were listening and she kept asking "are these two voices the same person?" Nicovideo comments were filled with superlatives, but I have to agree with them - Aya is truly a seiyuu genius.

This got me wanting to watch Fumoff again... it was a fun little series...

Last edited by AVPlaya; 2007-07-15 at 15:04.
Old 2007-07-15, 05:59   Link #298
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

L
O
V
E

Lovely Tsukasa <3
Old 2007-07-15, 09:21   Link #299
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Sore ga Ai Desho is such an awesome song and i just have to praised aya for such an awesome job...seriously you wouldnt think that she was capable of singer her own duet (just loved the way she said "no...no more! im tired" at the end of the song )

it brings a tear to my eye to hear than song again...*good job* i think i should take AVPlaya's example and go for a rewatch

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-07-16, 06:12   Link #300
outcast_within
pita ten pyjama!

Quote:
There's an interesting clip on nicovideo.jp that somehow mixes the original version of Sore ga Ai Desho by [/B].
link doesn't work for me.