AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-01-09, 20:02   Link #2061
Siphine
The Dreamer

For me... and I know a lot of people will hate me for this.... Tengen Toppa Gurrenn Lagann... I'm sorry, but I was so pissed about the whole Yoko and Nia thing that I just couldn't watch it. It was good until that came up then I hated it. I was just like "so a girl who doesn't come into this series until maybe the last 8 episodes
Spoiler for GODAMN IT!!!!!!:
sorry about getting so mad there, it brought back some angry memories

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Old 2013-01-09, 20:20   Link #2062
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siphine View Post
For me... and I know a lot of people will hate me for this.... Tengen Toppa Gurrenn Lagann... I'm sorry, but I was so pissed about the whole Yoko and Nia thing that I just couldn't watch it. It was good until that came up then I hated it. I was just like "so a girl who doesn't come into this series until maybe the last 8 episodes
Wasn't she introduced quite early on in the series though? She was introduced more towards the first eight episodes.

There certainly are a lot of things that are hard to deal with in TTGL. It doesn't always make the most sense especially as far as combat is concerned, but I give it a pass for that since that was seemingly the intention.
Old 2013-01-09, 20:21   Link #2063
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
I can parallel on this one. The first half of the series I absolutely loved (before the time skip) - the sci-fi, the comedy, the characters. The second half? Was largely everything that makes my eyes roll about the genre. It just reminded me of why I ignored anime for so many years. OTOH, I can see *how* Simon ends up with who he does (there can be such a thing as too much sad history with someone) but I was disappointed to watch Yoko's story go the way it did (kiss of death).
Old 2013-01-09, 20:21   Link #2064
Rayneing
Trombe!

Quote:
I was just like "so a girl who doesn't come into this series until maybe the last 8 episodes
...She came in at episode 9 out of 27. She was present for two-thirds of the series.
Old 2013-01-09, 20:40   Link #2065
ChainLegacy
廉頗

I feel like romance was a fairly minor plot element of the show to single-handedly make you dislike it. Unless you meant that was the turning point at which you began to dislike the plot. I liked Yoko and Simon better and was never too fond of Nia, but I can't imagine that fact alone making one dislike the show.
Old 2013-01-09, 21:03   Link #2066
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
mahou shoujo madoka magica to cute for my taste and im not in to magic girl that much.
Looks like everyone is pushed away by art... me included. Don't like cute art nor do I like magical girl shows. However, this one is an exception.

The art here was made look cute on purpose so you would lower your defense before getting hit by depression.

I personally loved this show, beside it has some of the best soundtracks. ED alone is a masterpiece.

If you haven't actually given it a try, I would recommend to do so. As I said cute art is meant to deceive you on purpose. Won't promise that you'll love the shows but I still would insist on watching at least first 3 episodes since episode 3 is where mostly everything begins.

Quote:
I dislike TTGL but have to disagree here... the girl was introduced way back in arc 1 and played big role there. Her relation with Simon got explored and developed too and then we had massive time skip. I see no problems there at all...

You are probably unhappy because your fantasies were not realized =/

To be honest I don't get everyone's fascination with Yoko, she was pretty stereotypical... Noy saying that Nia was very exciting either... actually there were no decent characters in the show. They all had 2D mind if not even 1D.
Old 2013-01-09, 21:21   Link #2067
Traece

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Looks like everyone is pushed away by art... me included. Don't like cute art nor do I like magical girl shows. However, this one is an exception.

The art here was made look cute on purpose so you would lower your defense before getting hit by depression.
Art can be a big factor. I certainly wasn't pushed away from Madoka by the art style. I actually found that the art style was somewhat appropriate for the tone of the series. It was cutesy, but it also had that sort of look you expect to see in an anime where shit goes down. A kind of grit, I guess you could say.

What bothered me about Madoka most was the story and the characters. I didn't really feel anything for the characters in the series, and I felt like there wasn't really a clear path being taken by them. The story was just hard to follow in how they progressed and escalated it. It didn't help that I felt like most of the scenes were the characters whining about things. Sure, they had good reasons to whine and I would expect them to be upset about things, but I felt like there was way too much of them being upset.

In retrospect, I felt like all of that was the gimmick of the show. The twists and the sadness and everything "bad" that happened just felt so forced to get sympathy and make the series good.

Quote:
To be honest I don't get everyone's fascination with Yoko, she was pretty stereotypical... Not saying that Nia was very exciting either... actually there were no decent characters in the show. They all had 2D mind if not even 1D.
I'm not a fan of the Yoko character either. Especially towards the end she got a bit irritating for me. Her character was very flat and lacked a lot of interesting facets. Now, Nia on the other hand I actually liked quite a bit. I felt like her character had a lot of dimension when she was introduced and that her personality was fresh. She fit in well with the cast I thought and brought a lot of positive things to the series. I was actually quite sad to see her screen time wane in the latter half because of this. When the end came I felt sad for that character and in retrospect I really wish that they had given her more of a part.
Old 2013-01-09, 21:35   Link #2068
Vanguard

well maybe I shall try out mahou shoujo madoka magica then but the only magical girl that I will ever like is Lina inverse >.<

But I will give it a try then.
Old 2013-01-09, 21:45   Link #2069
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I remember hating TTGL because Kamina always steals the show away from Simon. For me, it's better if Kamina would just be the main character instead of Simon.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2013-01-09, 21:46   Link #2070
CJ_Walker

Hmm. . .it seems that these "which anime do you (negative opinion of) acknowledge as bad" or whatever threads tend to fill up with negativity. Mostly from the observation that people seem to get their feelings hurt when someone "hates" on their anime. Maybe these kinds of threads should not be allowed anymore? It just seems like trouble.

. . . .ok and I dropped K not because of the bishounen/ lack of female cast (which I didn't notice the first ep actually), but because of the trying to hard to look cool/wtf is going on-ness/SWORD OF DAMOCLES ridiculousness in the first ep. All that screamed waste of time to me.

. . .Ahh damn, I hurt more peoples' feelings >_<

but yeah in all seriousness, these threads aren't really community building material. . .just results in circular arguments and HUGE walls of text! Huge.
Old 2013-01-09, 21:51   Link #2071
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

^ I disagree. You have to channel that hate somewhere.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2013-01-09, 22:00   Link #2072
Traece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
^ I disagree. You have to channel that hate somewhere.
I'm going to predict that some of it is will end up channeled towards him for reading too much into dissenting opinions.

Just because we disagree constructively, doesn't mean we hate those people. I've actually seen more people going, "yeah, I actually didn't like that either come to think of it," than anything else.
Old 2013-01-09, 22:35   Link #2073
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
You mean corny?
That too. It's just not convincing...and it annoys me how much they don't tell each other the truth so it leads to an incredibly stupid misunderstanding and ARGGGHH.
Old 2013-01-10, 01:12   Link #2074
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by NK_500 View Post
So hating Madoka Magica is more sinful than hating Ouran High School Club.
Nobody says you have to like it,I can perfectly accept Traece's critism,the tragedy feeling forced is something you hear from people about all of writer Urobuchi's works (phantom of inferno,saya no uta,fate zero...),his style doesn't suit everyone.
Same with Shinbo as a director,not everyone likes his style,it's understandable.

However saying you don't like madoka magica because you don't like cute fanservicy magical girl shows is silly because that's not what madoka is.
Old 2013-01-10, 01:49   Link #2075
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Yeah, Madoka Magica isn't fanservicey at all.

Madoka Magica is one of my five favorite anime shows of all-time, but I can see why some wouldn't like it. I find that just about everybody who likes Madoka Magica either likes Gen Urobuchi's distinctive dark style, and/or they like the characters. If a person doesn't like one or the other, or both, then they probably won't like PMMM.

The challenge with the characters is that you really need to read a lot into almost every scene and piece of dialogue, because its an ensemble cast divided between five major characters over just one cour.

And one thing that helps for me is that I just love the character designs. Awesome, awesome character designs (by which I basically mean the various magical girl outfits). It's quintessential magical girl, but it also has a real edge to it. I'm glad that there's no wands or tiaras in this. It's bow and arrow, swords, spears, muskets, and handguns. I honestly think that the weaponry alone was a tip-off to how the series would be darker than must.
Old 2013-01-10, 01:50   Link #2076
Write
Banned

Sword Art Online

I didn't hate it but it's seriously overrated.
Old 2013-01-10, 03:02   Link #2077
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I find that just about everybody who likes Madoka Magica either likes Gen Urobuchi's distinctive dark style, and/or they like the characters. If a person doesn't like one or the other, or both, then they probably won't like PMMM.
I like PMMM not because of Urobuchi’s dark style or the characters in particular, but due to the anime’s twist to Magical Girl genre that I already has some experience (from Minky Momo, Magic Knight, Cardcaptor Sakura, and some episodes of Sailormoon, Tokyo Mew Mew and Pretty Cure ). Well, I guess PMMM's dark atmosphere really can't be helped coz when you want to "deconstruct" the "cheerful and lovely" concept of magical girl, you automatically have to make it with a darker tone.

Sadly, I haven’t seen Nanoha yet. Don’t know why I always miss it even though a friend of mine define it as “magical girls with artillery” which kinda interest me.
Old 2013-01-10, 04:08   Link #2078
Coldlight
Sayaka★Magica

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
However saying you don't like madoka magica because you don't like cute fanservicy magical girl shows is silly because that's not what madoka is.
The problem with him is that he's already judging it without having even seen it in the first place. I have no problems with people like Traece who has seen it and has his reasons to feel the way he does about it. Watched it and didn't like it? That's perfectly fine with me.

But this guy? He sees some people defending PMMM, and decides to "stay away from it" just for that fact. Not because of something he found disagreeable in the show, but because of an external factor unrelated to the show. That's not fair. Go figure.
Old 2013-01-10, 04:39   Link #2079
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Yeah, Madoka Magica isn't fanservicey at all.
Sorry... The animation is woah... not cute...
Old 2013-01-10, 04:58   Link #2080
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Sorry... The animation is woah... not cute...
I'm on the opposite site, the visuals are weird to begin with, but the animation was excellent and it works.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
Closed Thread