AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

Old 2011-02-26, 10:29   Link #1001
Polarem
Dango Digitizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamiye View Post
Thank you very much. ^^

Ok I can help you to test the game. ^^

Is there a menu translation for the VP version ?

And thanks a lot for helping me, the game runs perfectly !
You're welcome. There's no menu translation for the VP version (yet), but you can read the translations at http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...34#post2206334 (scroll up for the config menu).

Thanks for offering your help; I'll need a few files from your game (which will also help me make a menu translation). Is it ok if I contact you by email?
Polarem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-26, 12:27   Link #1002
Kamiye
Lolicon ! me ? shut up...

Send a message via MSN to Kamiye
Yes, Its okay ^^
I give it to you in a MP. ^^
Old 2011-03-01, 20:59   Link #1003
Polarem
Dango Digitizer

I ran into a snag with rlBabel, so the fix for save/load menu fonts won't be out as soon as I thought.

Fuko prank menus seem ready to go though, so I'll release that + new game text. Any thoughts/comments on the new layout/font/etc.?

Old 2011-03-02, 00:48   Link #1004
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

My god.

That is so much better than my crappy Japanese reading from the screen using my seen.txt.
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-02, 09:07   Link #1005
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Awesome, Polarem. Simply great work.
Old 2011-03-02, 18:04   Link #1006
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

I must say Polarem, I've been watching from afar on how well this thread has been going, and I must say that you are certainly doing a great job
Old 2011-03-03, 01:53   Link #1007
Jecht2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarem View Post
I ran into a snag with rlBabel, so the fix for save/load menu fonts won't be out as soon as I thought.

Fuko prank menus seem ready to go though, so I'll release that + new game text. Any thoughts/comments on the new layout/font/etc.?

That looks awesome. What did it look like originally?
Jecht2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-04, 13:08   Link #1008
Polarem
Dango Digitizer

Thanks guys XCN has been working hard behind the scenes too; do thank him as well.

To answer your question, Jecht2,

Spoiler for screenshots:

Without further ado, here is the latest preview build of Clannad FV, codenamed Starfish Senses. To use, extract the zipped files into your Clannad installation folder and replace the old ones. Warning: Old saved games are probably incompatible, but your progress (routes, CG, etc.) will be unaffected. Updating is not recommended if you're in the middle of a route; wait till you finish that route.

Features/bugfixes for players
- Decent-looking pranks menu
- Decent-looking pranks level-up banner
- No more perma-muted BGM after getting Fuko Master/Fuko Ninja
- No more missing lines of text
- Some improved translations (but there's a long way to go still)

Known issues
- Fast-forwarding stops at prank menus
- Prank menus aren't marked as a "Return to previous choice" point (but 6 out of 8 come immediately after another selection point. Does anybody mind?)
- Prank menus might have slightly reduced responsiveness for some when you try to bring up the right-click menu

Please help me test it out, and verify that the features work as they should. If you find that the prank menus are too unresponsive, please let me know. Comments, suggestions and requests are welcome.

Next planned update: Translated menus for Clannad VP

Last edited by Polarem; 2012-06-07 at 19:21. Reason: Update link
Old 2011-03-10, 13:04   Link #1009
Polarem
Dango Digitizer

The first batch of translated graphics for Clannad VP is ready! To use, extract the zipped files and replace the corresponding files in the G00 folder of your Clannad installation. Saved games will be unaffected.

EDIT - Link updated: Get the latest patch here

Features for players
- Fully translated right-click menu, in the style of EverSynth's Clannad FV menu

Last edited by Polarem; 2011-04-22 at 07:32. Reason: Redirect to latest download link
Old 2011-03-10, 14:36   Link #1010
Kamiye
Lolicon ! me ? shut up...

Send a message via MSN to Kamiye
Thanks Polarem
Old 2011-03-12, 19:36   Link #1011
shadyone

Location: The Ended World (but seriously, I live in Australia!)
Need help :(

Hello I've just finished installing this and applied the voice patch, but when I started the game, the dialog was still in japanese (the main menu was in english though except for the config page), so then I downloaded the above files from

http://www.mediafire.com/?zb9p5xcv2sju5bc

and extracted it into C:\KEY\CLANNAD folder and then when I start the game it opens up with a black screen and flower cursor only.. and sometimes it says "!" at the bottom. Then I tried the the next one

http://www.mediafire.com/?rdqa3hgb7q96bjd

and now when I start the game it opens up with a black screen and my regular cursor (not a flower)
Heres a screenshot:
Blackscreen
although that shot probably dosen't help that's all the comes up :/ heres a shot of the game folder because I'm not sure if this is supposed to be like this:
Game Folder
shadyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 20:46   Link #1012
Jecht2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyone View Post
Hello I've just finished installing this and applied the voice patch, but when I started the game, the dialog was still in japanese (the main menu was in english though except for the config page), so then I downloaded the above files from

http://www.mediafire.com/?zb9p5xcv2sju5bc

and extracted it into C:\KEY\CLANNAD folder and then when I start the game it opens up with a black screen and flower cursor only.. and sometimes it says "!" at the bottom. Then I tried the the next one

http://www.mediafire.com/?rdqa3hgb7q96bjd

and now when I start the game it opens up with a black screen and my regular cursor (not a flower)
Heres a screenshot:
Blackscreen
although that shot probably dosen't help that's all the comes up :/ heres a shot of the game folder because I'm not sure if this is supposed to be like this:
Game Folder
I could be wrong but I think that you are using the Original Version of Clannad. The files here are used for the Full Voice version.
Jecht2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 21:03   Link #1013
Polarem
Dango Digitizer

Hi shadyone,

There are 3 versions of Clannad:
  • Original version (used with the Voice Patch)
  • "Full Voice" version
  • "Memorial Edition"

You have the original version, but your first download link is the translated dialog for the Full Voice version (that's why you get a black screen) -- that file isn't useful to you.

Your second download link is the translated menus for the original version -- that file IS useful to you.

I haven't produced updated dialogs for the original version yet, but you can get an old copy (1.5 years old). Follow the directions at http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...24#post3504624, and you should be good to go.

Check back here once in a while; I'll post an update soon that fixes some issues like missing dialogue and unexpected muting of BGM.
Old 2011-03-12, 22:02   Link #1014
shadyone

Wait but, I'm positive that I added the voice patch *scratches head* ehh? oh nvm I get it now.
Thank you so much

Solid Beat: Music / techno styled RPG with complex combat requiring you to think carefully about the songs you equip.

Red Souls: A Dark Knight is thrown into chaos as a Demon King destroys his home. Can you save the world from a ever near apocalypse?

Last edited by shadyone; 2011-03-12 at 22:23.
Old 2011-03-13, 10:16   Link #1015
Bluemail
Zero of the roulette

I'm interested in buying the Memorial Edition of Clannad, but as for translations, I haven't found conclusive information of the translation's progress. I assume at least some version has been 100% translated. And all translation patches I've ran into are for either the original or Full Voice version. So, is there a translation patch for the Memorial Edition and how complete is it? If not, is there a way for a patch of another version to work with it, like the Full Voice version patch working with Memorial Edition? They're not much different right?

I haven't really acquaintanced myself with Clannad or Key's other work, just heard it's really good. I'd like to start with the original, even though I heard the anime is pretty loyal to it. I'm kind of torn between buying Clannad or the upcoming Rewrite, especially as the latter has Ryukishi07 writing some scenarios. I'm leaning towards Clannad, because it already has a translation, costs less and stuff. I'm trying to learn Japanese, so I'll read my next VN with dictionaries at hand if I have to, but I'd not like the feeling suffer from my language skills. I also like Clannad's uniform design better than in Rewrite, those pink garments are a bit distracting.
Bluemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-13, 12:16   Link #1016
Polarem
Dango Digitizer

Hi Bluemail, there are currently 2 (maybe 3) obstacles:

1) I'm still looking for a way to get the translation tools to understand on the Memorial Edition's (ME's) game interpreter (the program that reads the data files and displays the story). Till then, no English patch can work on the ME. You're right about the similarity though; most of the Japanese data files are identical between FV and ME, and replacing/transferring a few files converts one version to another (if you ignore the FV's digital manual and player review form)

2) The translation quality is still poor, which spoilt the game experience for me. You said "I'd not like the feeling suffer from my language skills", so this issue will probably affect you too. My current (very rough) estimate for the time required to polish everything is 9 months.

3) The Memorial Edition introduced a "Japan only" lock that stops non-Japanese versions of WinXP from running the game. Changing your locale doesn't help. However, due to a programming bug, the lock fails on Vista/Win7. This MIGHT affect Rewrite too -- ask around before you buy if you have WinXP.

====================
I have only played+watched Kanon and Clannad myself, but I can vouch for Key's skills in weaving stories. I'm sure you'll have a great read no matter which product you choose!

I'm inclined to play a VN before watching its anime too. For Kanon and Clannad, the animes are loyal in merging all routes into one coherent story, which I felt improved the presentation of each story... and after going through the "true end" with the on-screen characters, playing through the alternate routes again felt odd to me.
Old 2011-03-13, 12:47   Link #1017
Bluemail
Zero of the roulette

Thanks for replying!
Quote:
Hi Bluemail, there are currently 2 (maybe 3) obstacles:

1) I'm still looking for a way to get the translation tools to understand on the Memorial Edition's (ME's) game interpreter (the program that reads the data files and displays the story). Till then, no English patch can work on the ME. You're right about the similarity though; most of the Japanese data files are identical between FV and ME, and replacing/transferring a few files converts one version to another (if you ignore the FV's digital manual and player review form)
I was afraid this was the case, but I trust some version will be out before long. If not, I'll try to ask for instructions how to do it.
Quote:
2) The translation quality is still poor, which spoilt the game experience for me. You said "I'd not like the feeling suffer from my language skills", so this issue will probably affect you too. My current (very rough) estimate for the time required to polish everything is 9 months.
It's not like some grammar errors matters to me, it's more about the manual translation process taking more time and prolonging the reading to a point it becomes a bit dull. So the problem is more on my end than the translation people. It's nice of you to do some polishing, I can clearly see the difference of the menus in the pics above. Maybe I could wait those 9 or so months before getting Clannad and waste my time translating Rewrite for myself.
There is a method mixing machine translation and rikaichan which I find promising, so I could use that to read Rewrite, and maybe wait for Clannad to get a satisfying patch.
Quote:
3) The Memorial Edition introduced a "Japan only" lock that stops non-Japanese versions of WinXP from running the game. Changing your locale doesn't help. However, due to a programming bug, the lock fails on Vista/Win7. This MIGHT affect Rewrite too -- ask around before you buy if you have WinXP.
I have a Windows 7, so okay on that part... But I tried launching the "Chihaya Rolling" stress test of Rewrite's new game engine, and it DOES nag to me about the game being Japan Only. So at least that didn't have the bug or whatever. The real product should probably have the bug fixed, so I'm kind of afraid I won't be able to play it even if I buy it (which is irritating) if I can't find that patch taking care of the OS problem I heard someone talk about. Does a patch like that exist?
Quote:
I have only played+watched Kanon and Clannad myself, but I can vouch for Key's skills in weaving stories. I'm sure you'll have a great read no matter which product you choose!
That doesn't help me choose, does it?
Well technically I could get Clannad anytime afterwards, while now they have pre-orders for first press edition Rewrite. It is a bit expensive though, and I don't even know what extras it contains. And I fear they might release a better version later again (well, might happen with Clannad too, but Memorial Edition was 2010 already). I am however prepared to pay the same amount for the shipment whichever I choose, as I am going to order some manga volumes along with Clannad if I choose it. Or maybe I should buy both! Goodbye savings...

I'm also interested in other VNs after being struck hard by the atmospheric story of Umineko. Something with a mystery would be nice I guess, so I'd like to try those of Infinity series (Ever17 for example) or Chaos;Head (its anime was badly butchered, wasn't it?). Another VN I heard was good was Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo. The problem is, I can't find PC versions of them anywhere, at least something that ships them to Europe. With somewhat of a reasonable price. Anyone knows an online site where I could buy other VNs for PC? For I don't have a PSP, Playstation or Xbox, and they can't have translation patches can they?

EDIT: I think I heard somewhere that an official English patch for Clannad is in the plans. I might have read it wrong but does anyone have deeper knowledge?

Last edited by Bluemail; 2011-03-13 at 14:11.
Bluemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-13, 21:02   Link #1018
shadyone

Ooooh official english patch *drool* I hope they do make it :3 for now enjoy a nice little joke
Face-table: WHEN FACEPALM IS NOT ENOUGH!

Solid Beat: Music / techno styled RPG with complex combat requiring you to think carefully about the songs you equip.

Red Souls: A Dark Knight is thrown into chaos as a Demon King destroys his home. Can you save the world from a ever near apocalypse?
Old 2011-03-14, 09:08   Link #1019
Polarem
Dango Digitizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemail View Post
I was afraid this was the case, but I trust some version will be out before long. If not, I'll try to ask for instructions how to do it.
Do you know any technically-inclined people in the VN community? I'd be glad to get any leads you have... I've placed a call for help at http://forums.novelnews.net/forumdisplay.php?f=55, but I don't know if I'll get any replies (my last call went unanswered). If I can't find any info, I might start hacking it myself... but that will probably take a few more months on top of the translation-polishing.

Quote:
Maybe I could wait those 9 or so months before getting Clannad and waste my time translating Rewrite for myself.
Good way to improve your Japanese, possibly?

Quote:
There is a method mixing machine translation and rikaichan which I find promising, so I could use that to read Rewrite, and maybe wait for Clannad to get a satisfying patch.
I'm most intrigued; what method is that?

Quote:
I have a Windows 7, so okay on that part... But I tried launching the "Chihaya Rolling" stress test of Rewrite's new game engine, and it DOES nag to me about the game being Japan Only. So at least that didn't have the bug or whatever. The real product should probably have the bug fixed, so I'm kind of afraid I won't be able to play it even if I buy it (which is irritating) if I can't find that patch taking care of the OS problem I heard someone talk about. Does a patch like that exist?
For Clannad ME, clicking "cancel" on Vista/Win7 lets you proceed even though it complains that you're not in Japan. Were you able to do the same for the stress test?

Such a patch involves hacking the game engine to make it skip the Japan-region check. They're quite common (not just for VNs, but usually for piracy purposes), but I don't know if any exists for Rewrite.

Quote:
That doesn't help me choose, does it?
Well technically I could get Clannad anytime afterwards, while now they have pre-orders for first press edition Rewrite. It is a bit expensive though, and I don't even know what extras it contains. And I fear they might release a better version later again (well, might happen with Clannad too, but Memorial Edition was 2010 already).
Hehe, guess not. I don't think I'm qualified to sway your choice though. The folks at http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=64557 might be able to tell you (or help you speculate) what the first edition will contain.

To put things in perspective, original Clannad came out in 2004, then Full Voice in 2008, then Memorial Edition in 2010. The "better version" came in the form of Full Voice, with voice acting and higher-res graphics, 4 years after the initial release. There's no visible improvement for players from Full Voice to Memorial edition... just that those who bought the Key 10th Memorial Box got a boxful of VNs + memorabilia for an awesome price.

Quote:
I'm also interested in other VNs after being struck hard by the atmospheric story of Umineko. Something with a mystery would be nice I guess, so I'd like to try those of Infinity series (Ever17 for example) or Chaos;Head (its anime was badly butchered, wasn't it?). Another VN I heard was good was Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo. The problem is, I can't find PC versions of them anywhere, at least something that ships them to Europe. With somewhat of a reasonable price. Anyone knows an online site where I could buy other VNs for PC? For I don't have a PSP, Playstation or Xbox, and they can't have translation patches can they?
Mmm... Ever17 is awesome! Sadly it's been out of print for ages, and the copies on eBay are extortionately-priced. It's getting a remake though; there's an attempt to get Aksys to localize it.

I bought Clannad from JBox; they seem to have a few other titles, including Remember11 (another mysterious Infinity title) which has an English patch available. For free VNs, try True Remembrance which has some good surprises, or Narcissu (1 and 2) for something to get you thinking about life, death and God.

Quote:
EDIT: I think I heard somewhere that an official English patch for Clannad is in the plans. I might have read it wrong but does anyone have deeper knowledge?
Whoa, where did you hear that from? O_O
Old 2011-03-14, 09:09   Link #1020
Polarem
Dango Digitizer

Facepalms hurt less than facetables

Tags
bishoujo, game patch, key, pc game, translation