AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-05-11, 20:30   Link #801
potchip

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones View Post
Since that is all I have to go on that's what I'll use. I hope you manage to understand that fact. Besides the summaries are made by people who actually read the novel and I don't think they would have omitted anything important storywise.
Sorry to jump in but to add to what Chaos2Frozen IMO for this novel the 'story' so to speak is not very important - or at least not something that's my main interest. Summary tells the story/plot mostly.

What sets this series apart are the various observations from Tatsuya, and other main character's perspective on people/society/surroundings in monologues. Typically a novel adpots a perspective and sticks to it, this one is strictly third person but uses the monologue to switch perspectives between characters and tried to give voice to all of them. It can give a sense of depth, However, what I didn't like, as alluded in my earlier post is the repetitive nature of author's technique - that keeps pressing the same buttons. It's effective but not particularly crafty.
Old 2012-05-11, 21:56   Link #802
Kunagisa

Volume 108 goes on sale 2017 January 10th.

Spoiler for size:
Old 2012-05-11, 21:58   Link #803
bludvein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunagisa View Post

Spoiler for size:
.....that's not volume 108. Think about it. We only have 5 volumes out.
Old 2012-05-11, 21:58   Link #804
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:

Spoiler for size:

At least they're being optimistic... But not even Kamachi.exe can pull off over 60 volumes in 5 years

...Or can he/it ?

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2012-05-11 at 22:10.
Old 2012-05-11, 21:59   Link #805
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You

Does that mean Sunrise will this one next. Nice. I only read the manga version. *goes off to read the LN*
Old 2012-05-11, 22:03   Link #806
tsunade666

If Sunrise do this. Miyuki will really give me heart problems. HNG!!!
Old 2012-05-11, 22:03   Link #807
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by orpheus2 View Post
Does that mean Sunrise will this one next. Nice. I only read the manga version. *goes off to read the LN*
Won't be surprising; the illustrator for the series is the same person that designed the Code Geass Anime characters.
Old 2012-05-11, 22:08   Link #808
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvein View Post
.....that's not volume 108. Think about it. We only have 5 volumes out.
I messed up lol, that's 2047 ;__;, either way it's just a joke from Accel World.

Kawahara and Satou must be good buddies to allow this sort of ads haha.
Old 2012-05-11, 22:10   Link #809
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
I messed up lol, that's 2047 ;__;, either way it's just a joke from Accel World.

Kawahara and Satou must be good buddies to allow this sort of ads haha.

Ah, 2047 makes more sense... Assuming the guy's still alive in 35 years.

Booking Writing is a health hazardous job after all.
Old 2012-05-12, 00:02   Link #810
larethian

Quote:

Spoiler for size:
LMAO @ Accel World
Is this a foreshadowing for us? www
Btw, which studio is this?
Old 2012-05-12, 00:21   Link #811
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
Accel World is done by Sunrise.

Which makes sense as I was saying, the Illustrator for this series worked on the Animation character designs for Code Geass.
Old 2012-05-12, 01:40   Link #812
Hiyohiyo

She played a very minor role in Code Geass. Clamp did the designs for Geass, as if anyone couldn't tell just by looking ;P

But going back on topic, given what his writing style "reveals" about the author's nature, I'm curious if the reason Mahouka hasn't been scheduled to be animated yet is simply because things aren't up to his standard.
Old 2012-05-12, 01:54   Link #813
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiyohiyo View Post
She played a very minor role in Code Geass. Clamp did the designs for Geass, as if anyone couldn't tell just by looking ;P

That's why I said the 'Animation character designs', then again I'm not sure if there's the right term either...Hmmm... Basically the characters here have the same feel as Code Geass in the show, not the CLAMP illustration- just look at the facial designs, particularly the eyes.
Old 2012-05-12, 03:24   Link #814
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
LMAO @ Accel World
Is this a foreshadowing for us? www
Like Chaos said, it's by Sunrise studio 8. I'm pretty sure this will get an anime somewhere down the road (unless there's something stupid behind the scene); I mean they are giving two manga serialization for the title, so they are definitely promoting the material. Latest volume had 83,644 copies sold with the last available numbers, so it is definitely selling decently. I don't think this would be a Sunrise work though with that movie they're working on (and hopefully Horizon s2 sold like crazy so we'll just keep getting new seasons from Studio 8 ); tbh this looks like something up JC's alley (I have 0 fact to back up this baseless claim) or
Spoiler for dun dun dun:
Old 2012-05-12, 03:54   Link #815
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Lol, could've fooled me given how that's what almost everybody here talks about
People see what they want to see

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Lol, there's a BIG difference between reading the summaries and reading the actual novel.

Sure you'll get the main idea, but not the finer points that tends to get omitted because well, it's a summary.

There's why no matter how ridiculously difficult it is, I'm pushing myself to go through the Chinese translation rather than the summaries first.
And there's difference between translation, no matter how good it is, and the source material since said finer points might not exactly translatable (trying to urge Chaos to learn Japanese :P).
Old 2012-05-12, 04:04   Link #816
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroishinigami View Post
And there's difference between translation, no matter how good it is, and the source material since said finer points might not exactly translatable (trying to urge Chaos to learn Japanese :P).
How much different can it be from Japanese to Chinese? They practically use the same characters 1 out of every 5 words

(And I only understand every 3rd word in Chinese...So I guess that means I would only 'perfectly' understand 1/15 of the story?)
Old 2012-05-12, 04:08   Link #817
Mentar
Banned

Uuuuuu...

Mahouka done by Sunrise with a Sunrise style budget, that would be _awesome_ ^_^

Larethian, any news on whether or not your efforts to get a proper group to scanlate Mahouka Koukou no Yuutousei were successful?

EDIT: (Reason behind my question: I might feel compelled to call in a couple of favors from my fansubbing times to prep a layman scanlation if no reputable group feels like doing it)

Last edited by Mentar; 2012-05-12 at 05:29.
Old 2012-05-12, 04:23   Link #818
Flere821
Lurker

I should wander around the AS forums a bit more lol... didn't even knew this thread existed for this series ^^;

Chinese translators have started Vol5 (Summer Vacation), they've done Ch1 so far. I'll probably lurking around here from now on too

EDIT: I'm bad with translating names, so don't mind me if I mix some of them up I'm too used to reading this in Chinese...
Old 2012-05-12, 04:37   Link #819
Seitsuki
Onee!

My Chinese is worse than my Japanese.. which isn't that great anyway. A definite sign that something's wrong..
Old 2012-05-12, 05:06   Link #820
whsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
My Chinese is worse than my Japanese.. which isn't that great anyway. A definite sign that something's wrong..
Well, Chinese as a whole is considered a more difficult language. Now, if you learned Chinese earlier and longer than Japanese, then yeah, there might be something wrong.

@kuroishinigami

Assuming the translator is competent, there should be minimal difference between the Chinese and Japanese version (as in within a 3%-5% margin of error). As someone noted before, about 1/5th of the characters are Chinese though they occasionally have different meanings. More importantly though, Chinese and Japanese are closely related, meaning that there is minimal syntax, diction, and sentence structure changes. By comparison, Japanese -> English or Chinese -> English requires a complete reordering and often times a whole new rewriting of the original text to capture the original text's meaning.

Now, if the translator isn't so good, then we may have more errors. But that holds true for any type of translations.
Closed Thread

Tags
action, fantasy, harem, incest, mahouka, rettousei, school life, shounen, siblings