AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Science & Technology

Notices

Old 2012-12-05, 09:46   Link #1481
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuras View Post
Not as much dodging bullets and shells as rockets and RPG's. They're fast, but you can still see them coming if you're looking at the right place at the right time. A tank can't move sideways to dodge a rocket. Though I can see a hover tank would be able to.
I understand a future tank would beat a future mecha, but the mere definition of a tank ensures limits as to what it can do, and I again point to some of the things a mech could potentially do as opposed to a tank.
The only viable mech barring some miracle tech breakthrough are powered armour suits
Old 2012-12-06, 23:33   Link #1482
freshoutofthepan

Not sure if anyone has seen this yet, but:
Quantum Stealth; The Invisible Military Becomes A Reality

CNN Interview here.

Apparently it's a camo that utilizes bending of light to render the person "invisible". Not sure how much of it is true, but they claim it works. It's also one of the camos adopted in Black Ops 2.
freshoutofthepan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-07, 00:00   Link #1483
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I remember there was a material that could bend light around an object, but it was a stationary kind of thing. They were talking about using it near industrial districts so the urbanites would see the hills beyond without seeing the factories at all.
Old 2012-12-07, 00:00   Link #1484
kyp275
Meh

eh....

"it works, for realz, we're not gonna tell you how, not even a hint, just trust us! those are totally not photoshops because we said so!"

yea... I'm skeptical, at best.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-07, 00:16   Link #1485
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Active Stealth, like in Full Metal Panic would be a game changer for a lot of things. But can it prevent the detection of heat?

Imagine a new model Stealth fighter with both active and passive stealth. Not only might it not show up on radar at all, but you wouldn't see it either. But the effect of it being there will still be noticable I think. Noise, heat, contrails if they aren't careful. But you have to be looking for those things, before it puts a missile in your communications bunker.

Somehow I can already imagine the Israelis with something like that. The only way to prove it was them would be from the remains of the ordinance used.
Old 2012-12-07, 00:38   Link #1486
freshoutofthepan

Well, theoretically, it MIGHT be possible to create a material such that it refracts light all the way around the material and through the other side, like water running over a rock. And if it's possible with the visible spectrum, it should also be possible with radio/IR waves as well I guess. But this seems like quite a big jump, so I still have my doubts about this..
freshoutofthepan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-07, 00:46   Link #1487
kyp275
Meh

according to the site, it blocks IR as well, though tbh the way they're putting it, you'd think it can block a supernova explosion too.

The more I read it, the more it looks like hot air to me.

Quote:
Scenario 4: One of the most vulnerable times for a submarine is when it comes to periscope depth to look around to verify the enemy, ships or aircraft are not loitering in the area, before the submarine surfaces or fires on the enemy. The periscope can only be hidden with painted camouflage to a certain degree. With Quantum Stealth; the entire submarine can stay hidden near the surface as well as the periscope above the surface which also cannot be seen.
I'm not even gonna go into the apparently magical cloth that also works underwater and is durable enough be used on the outer hulls of a sub, but I'd love to see how that could in any way shape or form eliminate periscope wake.

Oh I know, magic.

Quote:
Scenario 6: A group of Canadian Battle Tanks in Quantum Stealth engage an enemy group of tanks, the only indication to the enemy of the Canadian Tanks location is the direction of the noise of the tanks engines and the sound of their guns firing. As the enemy looks through their targeting scopes to fire back, there is no indication on any sensor to where the Canadian tanks are located, nor can the enemy see the other Canadian tanks which are moving to flank them from the side and behind.
Even if their material can mask against direct IR detection, how are they going to "contain" the heat? even with exhaust cooling etc., eventually the heat would have to go "somewhere", unless of course, magic.

also, I'd love to see how that material is supposed to hide the tracks

Quote:
Do I care that people remain skeptical? Nope, the people that need to know that it works have seen it and verified it and their opinions are the only ones that matter.
Then why did you make an amateur website talking about how great it is while stressing how the "US Military" is super interested in your work but you can't really talk about it. Actual secret projects are, you know, secret.
Old 2012-12-07, 01:12   Link #1488
Traece
:cool:

I feel that it needs to be said that this technology has been making the news for over a year now. For a relatable source, Cracked.com is one such place it's appeared. It's been on a few news outlets for science as well, I recall.

The most likely use of this technology will be infantry warfare. Ground vehicles, ships, and planes are all vulnerable to a myriad of different weapons but also have the capabilities to defend themselves, hence why we still use all of that stuff. Infantry is vulnerable to basically everything, and we humans simply aren't built to withstand the weapons we've produced for the specific purpose of killing humans and things we've built to kill humans. Even a mostly invisible soldier is a huge leap in saving lives from any threat that requires a direct line of sight such as armor, other infantry, and all sorts of other threats.

While a lot of you are spot on about issues related to large-scale objects and their ability to diffuse high quantities of heat effectively, those issues could technically be mitigated with some sort of cooling system prior to exhaust. Even if the exhaust was vented at a higher-than-average temperature to be visibly seen it would still be rather difficult to find in many environments.

As far as submarines go... Submarines are already capable of becoming basically invisible to all means in a specifically located layer of water below the surface. Sure, this technology could, in theory, protect them from being discovered at the surface. The issue is that this isn't WWII, and if a submarine doesn't want to be found it wont be.

If I've said anything incorrect, please be sure to let me know.
Old 2012-12-07, 01:36   Link #1489
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Dec 5 (Wed): Almost 40 years to the day after the Apollo 17 crew snapped the famed "blue marble" image of Earth floating in space on Dec 7, 1972, Nasa has unveiled "black marble" video views of the planet by night.

NASA, THE TELEGRAPH, THE BALTIMORE SUN
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-07, 05:20   Link #1490
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 19:35   Link #1491
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The problem with bending light around an object is basic -- you can't see shit if you're inside - just a spherical mirror if you bring your own light.
Old 2012-12-08, 23:25   Link #1492
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The problem with bending light around an object is basic -- you can't see shit if you're inside - just a spherical mirror if you bring your own light.
Not quite I think. With the development of nano-sized cameras and possibly VR-HUD, those things could act like giant presidential cars and still function - albeit the images and sounds are streamed and not real time.

P.S I know you and your colleagues already had a breakthrough in that area long time ago. Share please for the sake of science.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-09, 02:33   Link #1493
Asuras
Dictadere~!

The only major invisibility breakthrough I've heard of was years ago when they managed to bend light around an apple from one angle. Which is to say completely useless considering the same effect could be achieved by using a camouflage blanket according to your situation. :P
Asuras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-09, 11:32   Link #1494
kyp275
Meh

TBH, it would've been more convincing if the guy had just said "we can't show it what it looks like in action because it works too well!".

or "you see your facebook profile photo? I was actually right behind you!"
Old 2012-12-09, 19:31   Link #1495
AnimeFan188

Billion-Ton Comet May Have Missed Earth by a Few Hundred Kilometers in 1883:

"A reanalysis of historical observations suggest Earth narrowly avoided an
extinction event just over a hundred years ago."

See:

http://www.technologyreview.com/view...eters-in-1883/
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-09, 19:48   Link #1496
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I find it shocking that despite all of my interest in things like this, I never really considered this.

The nice thing about humans is that if we were to completely cover them in this invisible material and leave only small holes for their eyes, you would still have a 99+% invisible person. Spotting and engaging a tiny little disc of white and brown/blue/green from a distance would basically make you superhuman.

Also, there's this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oculus_Rift
Old 2012-12-10, 00:04   Link #1497
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Break through against Leukemia.

This method is still in its experimental stage, but the impact it can potentially have in the future at fighting disease is exponential. I was all excited reading through the article.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-10, 01:54   Link #1498
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Reprogrammed virus used to cure... This, can only end well.

(seriously though, this sounds incredible.)
Old 2012-12-10, 02:39   Link #1499
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Just one step bigger from the vaccine, no?

But actually, this is kind of genetic modification-lite, at least in effect; not quite modifying the genes themselves, but the body and its immune system and more importantly how they work. Very, very promising.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-10, 02:55   Link #1500
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
The question is will it be available to all? Cause a lot of these people are poor.

This can cure everybody but not everyone could have it. That's a painful fact.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote