AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you like Love Triangles?
If done right yes... 86 58.11%
Yes! 17 11.49%
No 34 22.97%
I usually don't care about them. 11 7.43%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-08-14, 16:32   Link #61
cicido
I'm so moe I kill myself
*Artist

Love triangle sucks and becomes extremely frustrating when you know that the side you cheer for is definetely going to lose. Especially with one of those really obvious ones where you can tell because one of the girls get 80% screen time while the other girl gets hardly any.
cicido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-21, 16:53   Link #62
Intranetusa
Pedites Extraordinarii

School Days = how love triangles end when the main character is an idiot

True Tears, ef - Tale of Memories = examples of how love triangles 'should' end if the protagonist has a brain
Intranetusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-21, 17:12   Link #63
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
Love triangles are too boring and extremely limited...

How about something else instead of a love triangle...Like a square? Pentagon?
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-21, 17:20   Link #64
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Shin'ichiro of True Tears had a brain?
I always thought it was Noe's brother who was the stronger male character.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightViper88 View Post
Or a harem?
qtipbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-21, 17:26   Link #65
ApostleOfGod
^.^

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92
Trip man, he had a crush on his sister. I don't care how strong of a man you are.... That's just wrong. Lol

As for love triangles, they provide good entertainment. But if the triangle gets too intimate, one just might end up getting crushed like a can under a foot. Kiminozo is a heartbreaking example.

So if done right, then proper. If not, then... Meh, thanks for the ride?

One is to live life as if nothing is a miracle.

The other way is to live life as though everything is a miracle.
ApostleOfGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-21, 19:24   Link #66
Intranetusa
Pedites Extraordinarii

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post
He had a brain because he was able to peacefully resolve the situation at the end...resulting in the 'best case scenario' for all the characters.

It didn't end in some character becoming horribly depressed or a love triangle bloodbath...cough *school days* couch...

And as ApostleOfGod said, Noe's bro had a crush on her... And he was kinda 'cruel' to the other female protagonist.

So Shin'ichro was probably the 'best' male character in True Tears.
Intranetusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-25, 11:44   Link #67
stelok
I My Me Strawberry Eggs

Send a message via ICQ to stelok Send a message via AIM to stelok Send a message via MSN to stelok Send a message via Yahoo to stelok
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightViper88 View Post
Love triangles are too boring and extremely limited...

Ah, yes that's what Mitsune commented about Keitaro's relations with the girls in the Love Hina manga.

Let's see Keitaro's relationships with 3 of the girls (Naru, Shinobu and Motoko) form a love square;1 guy an 3 girls= 4 sides

Keitaro's relationships with 4of the girls (Naru, Mutsumi, Shinobu, Motoko) form a pentagon 1 guy and 4 girls= 5 sides.
stelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-25, 13:50   Link #68
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelok View Post
Ah, yes that's what Mitsune commented about Keitaro's relations with the girls in the Love Hina manga.

Let's see Keitaro's relationships with 3 of the girls (Naru, Shinobu and Motoko) form a love square;1 guy an 3 girls= 4 sides

Keitaro's relationships with 4of the girls (Naru, Mutsumi, Shinobu, Motoko) form a pentagon 1 guy and 4 girls= 5 sides.
Really? I used to be a die-hard Love Hina fan, but I don't remember her making that kind of comment...

When I made that post, I was making a reference to episode 11 of Shuffle!; When Kareha was talking to Mayumi about Mayumi being in the middle of a love "triangle? square? pentagon?"
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-26, 16:40   Link #69
Noe
HARDCORE Fate addict™

Send a message via AIM to Noe Send a message via MSN to Noe
The love triangles in Honey and Clover? YES!

Otherwise, NN love triangles.

ALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!
#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net to revere, share, and cherish Fate Testarossa Harlaown.
My blog
Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-28, 08:59   Link #70
Veronin
Fun things are (not) fun.

Hell no. Most of the time I just want the one clinging on to piss off.
Old 2008-08-28, 11:13   Link #71
Narzia
┐(-。ー')┌

No, they're boring, frustrating in so many ways, sometimes predictable (which is why they're even more frustrating) and only prolong the inevitable. It's overused and uncreative.

I. hate. them.
Narzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-16, 19:25   Link #72
stelok
I My Me Strawberry Eggs

Send a message via ICQ to stelok Send a message via AIM to stelok Send a message via MSN to stelok Send a message via Yahoo to stelok
When it comes to triangles, there is but one girl/guy for whom you'd root to defeat his/her rival and win over the person he/she loves.
stelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-16, 19:30   Link #73
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
I'm not a real fan of Love Triangle coz one will obviously be victorious while the other suffers....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-16, 19:32   Link #74
Kyuu
=^^=

Too many "love triangle" stories. It's so ridiculously cliche -- and it's gotten stupid.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-16, 19:42   Link #75
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
A well-executed love triangle is a beautiful thing, and an excellent work of drama. I'll take it over almost any "straight-up" romance (i.e. a romance between two characters where there's no direct competition involved).

However, nothing can sink a show more quickly or decisively than a bad love triangle, imo. A bad love triangle (presuming it centers around key characters, and not just secondary ones) is like a cancer plaguing a narrative, as everything gets dragged down by it.

So there's probably no narrative device that needs to be used more carefully than the love triangle does, imo. To me, probably the key element to a good love triangle is that it has to be genuinely competitive. There has to be some real doubt as to what final pairing will emerge out of the love triangle. Otherwise, it can seem like an exercise in pointlessness, which makes any ANGST arising out of it seem that much more annoying or displeasing, in my experience.
Old 2012-09-16, 23:55   Link #76
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Just like Triple R said: it depends on the execution. Examples:

Good love triangle: SDF Macross
They execute the love triangle between Hikaru x Minmei & Hikaru x Misa very well with good chemistry & interaction. The competition is pretty much balanced we don’t know who Hikaru will end up with until the final episode (not to mention that both heroines are good characters).

Bad love triangle: Inuyasha
We can say that the feelings between the characters (Kikyo, Inuyasha, Kagome) are genuine, but the characters & the execution make it stupid. Kikyo changed from loving Inuyasha into hating him coz she was tricked by Naraku. Still, even though she learned the truth (after back from the dead) she’s still being EMO towards Inuyasha and makes him feel guilty throughout the series, making Inuyasha’s indecisive-ness justified. Don’t get me started on Kagome, she always treated Inuyasha roughly by planting his face on the ground with that “command spell” of hers whenever she got jealous or tsun-tsun or for no reason at all! I know it’s meant for comedy but it’s very annoying.
Old 2012-09-17, 00:03   Link #77
Coldlight
Sayaka★Magica

No. I'm tired of love triangles. Maybe I'd like to see something like a group of friends turning into multiple parallel main/side couples for a change.
Old 2012-09-17, 00:04   Link #78
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
I don't mind them, but the majority of the outcome of it is generally the first girl winning. They do make the romantic flow of romance anime interesting depending on the characters and the natural flow of the story and genre itself.
Old 2012-09-17, 00:58   Link #79
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

I really dislike love triangles, it's just the majority of them, are poor execution.

Some series, I like...
Ichigo 100% has a love triangle (or square or pentagon?), but drama wasn't the main focus, if you compare it to "Good Ending". Everything in GE has drama to drive the plot. While in Ichigo 100%, the protagonist has a goal in mind, other than chasing girls.

A favorite love triangle I like, would be "Rumbling Hearts", its complicated situation and its plot, is not mindless like KNIM (don't google it).
Old 2012-09-17, 02:28   Link #80
Eragon
Still Alive

Hate love triangles just as much as harem. Too stupid and obvious most of the time. The fact that the lead female in most of them more than often pisses me off doesn't help either(yes, I'm looking at you H..Kagome)

Last edited by Eragon; 2012-09-17 at 03:05.
Eragon is offline   Reply With Quote