AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-02, 10:51   Link #81
Sannom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazzy Angel
If Roy was not a skilled alchemist then why was he accepted as state alchemist?
The flames. State Alchemist are merely human weapons, so being able to use such a destructive kind of alchemy almost guarantee that you will be taken for the job. Plus Mustang has the particularity to be both a State Alchemist and a member of the military who has really good results : this must exempt him of the annual examination, since he is always monitored by the military.

Roy is a extremely skilled weapon of mass destruction (no kidding, his alchemy is worse than Scar's) but most likely one of the less skilled alchemist over all. Marcoh, Ed, Al, probably Alex too are more skilled than him.
Old 2009-08-02, 11:18   Link #82
Ziziphus
Whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazzy Angel View Post
If Roy was not a skilled alchemist then why was he accepted as state alchemist?
In even if flame is his speciality, it does not mean that he does not know about other fields.

Spoiler for manga:
It's not clearly stated how much he knows about alchemy, so it was just an assumption I made myself.

And I didn't say that Roy was not skilled. He excels at his flame transmutation, and that alone qualified him as a State alchemist (just like Ed's ability to transmute without a circle, they both have impressive alchemy and the millitary didn't need more than that). I just assumed he's not the kind of person who would devote his time to tiring jobs like decoding or researching. Although he may know about other fields, I don't think his knowledge is up to the level of Ed, Al or Marcoh.
Old 2009-08-02, 13:31   Link #83
Haladflire65
*Artist

Since Roy's an officer in the military, unlike Ed, Al and Marcoh, he's intelligent in other ways, like tatics, leadership, planning, etc. He doesn't have much need to research anything, because his alchemy's already top-notch in battle, and he doesn't have any real motivation for research like Ed and Al, for instance.

It's obvious that Mustang's a pretty smart guy, though. How else would he have become Colonel at only age 29?
Old 2009-08-02, 13:46   Link #84
Ziziphus
Whatever

^He's very smart, and talented, yeah. No one denies that. That's the reason why:
Spoiler for manga:

We were just talking about his knowledge of alchemy though. Of course he's able to go very far with alchemy if he wants, but as you said, his alchemy's already top-notch in battle, so he just didn't feel the need to.
Old 2009-08-04, 10:22   Link #85
Krazzy Angel
despair v/s hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziziphus View Post
^He's very smart, and talented, yeah. No one denies that. That's the reason why:
Spoiler for manga:

We were just talking about his knowledge of alchemy though. Of course he's able to go very far with alchemy if he wants, but as you said, his alchemy's already top-notch in battle, so he just didn't feel the need to.
I thought a mentioned that in one of my post in this thread before.

Well one more reason to consider Mustang as a skilled alchemist
Spoiler for manga chapter 60:
Old 2009-08-04, 10:36   Link #86
Sannom

Spoilers :

Spoiler:
Old 2009-08-04, 10:50   Link #87
GaimeGuy

You guys are seriously underrating Roy :/
Old 2009-08-04, 15:03   Link #88
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

Well it's maybe true that Marcoh and Ed are better than him in global knowledge about Alchemy but in alchemy battle, he is clearly better than them. He masters really well his alchemy (which is not the case for Ed and Al)and his military experience make him far more dangerous than Ed or Al. Mustang is maybe not a genius in alchemy but he is cleary a genius soldier.
Old 2009-08-04, 20:33   Link #89
Sannom

Quote:
He masters really well his alchemy (which is not the case for Ed and Al)
Al and Ed controls perfectly their alchemy, but it's different by essence. Theirs is based on transmuting objects and materials, while Mustang's is based on making things go "boum".

Spoilers manga :

Spoiler:
Old 2009-08-04, 20:41   Link #90
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Mustang has to be the attacker of any group, but again, due to the nature of his alchemy, it is best that he fights alone. Friendly fire is on, people.
Old 2009-08-04, 21:30   Link #91
orangejuicetang

Just want to point out but
Spoiler for manga:

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
Old 2009-08-05, 01:10   Link #92
Krazzy Angel
despair v/s hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sannom View Post
Spoilers :

Spoiler:

Eh... when was that said?
Old 2009-08-05, 03:38   Link #93
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangejuicetang View Post
Spoiler for manga:
Spoiler for Manga:
Old 2009-08-05, 03:41   Link #94
Akatsukimember

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangejuicetang View Post
Spoiler for manga:
uh no
Spoiler for Spoiler:
Old 2009-08-05, 09:07   Link #95
orangejuicetang

Okay, my mistake. I misremembered some parts of that chapter.

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
Old 2009-08-07, 12:44   Link #96
Haladflire65
*Artist

IMO, Mustang's most powerful point is his will - man, the guy's unbreakable. No matter how overwhelmingly bad the odds are, he just keeps pushing on... and on... and on... It's what I like about the character. Not unlike Ed and Al...
Old 2009-08-09, 12:37   Link #97
Darklord_bg
Hallowed Redeemer

I think if Roy was any better at alchemy, like Marcoh or Izumi, he would be pretty much the strongest character in the show, which I would not like, since it would make him a Gary Stu. He's pretty amazing as he is right now in terms of pure battle power, precision and battle tactics, so if he was also good at general alchemy as well, he would be pretty much unstoppable. I like it this way with different characters having different strengths and weaknesses since they can complement each other. For instance, Ed's alchemy is nowhere near as destructive as Roy's but it is much more versatile and can be used in variety of different ways - which makes the battles they fight different and unique.
Old 2009-08-09, 12:43   Link #98
Kanish

You know. If he actually put his jacket on, I'd be able to believe this is a guy who can get into a decent fist fight.

What Roy needs is a good fight sometime soon. 'Cause any and all action involving him in the first series has kinda escaped my memory.
Old 2009-08-09, 12:50   Link #99
Vicious108

And what you need is to watch episode 19 sometime soon.
Old 2009-08-09, 13:02   Link #100
Haladflire65
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
And what you need is to watch episode 19 sometime soon.
Hell yes. I've just watched it - in some parts, it looks even better than the manga.