AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shin Sekai Yori

Notices

View Poll Results: Shin Sekai Yori - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 10 13.51%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 20 27.03%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 18.92%
7 out of 10 : Good 15 20.27%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 8.11%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 6 8.11%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 2.70%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.35%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-10-26, 15:24   Link #1
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Shin Sekai Yori - Episode 5 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Shin Sekai Yori, Episode 5.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2012-10-26, 23:16   Link #2
Utsuro no Hako

Wow, we finally got some fanservice here with full frontal nudity and no lightbeams.

Spoiler:
Old 2012-10-26, 23:24   Link #3
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Enjoyed the ep, but lots of questions:
-- what was that long tube? part of the queen? an attack?
-- why did Satoru go back toward where they came from, rather than in any other direction? Or did he?
-- did the Tarantula bakanezumi have poison gas?
-- how did Satoru know the gas would explode? Or did he?

Things like that, as well as "when will the kids realize they can use their powers?" Or can they? And "where are the others?"

Interesting to see Saki and Satoru each having their moments/areas of independence, intelligence, and action. Also interesting to see Saki as the first one to decide not to do what she now knows they have been trained to do (in this case, have sex when under emotional pressure).
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2012-10-26, 23:57   Link #4
whitecloud

IS it me...or did saki do something? even though she didnt go all the way?
Old 2012-10-27, 00:17   Link #5
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecloud View Post
IS it me...or did saki do something? even though she didnt go all the way?
She didn't do anything. You can clearly see Satoru still has his pants on when Saki stops.
Old 2012-10-27, 00:22   Link #6
Dr. Casey

So Satoru was cockblocked by an ancient monster librarian? Poor guy.

And... this episode has tarantulas in it? Not sure if want. I hate spiders.
Old 2012-10-27, 00:54   Link #7
Haru-kun

Can I ask, what in the world was going on? Did they have a time skip or something? Can they still use their powers?
Old 2012-10-27, 01:14   Link #8
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
...And... this episode has tarantulas in it? Not sure if want. I hate spiders.
No. That's the name given to a dangerous tribe of rat-people. I think it's better to watch the episode before reading this thread, which will not use spoilers for things in the episode.

@Haru-kun: In the previous episode, the priest figure had a ceremony to remove their powers from them until they could be judged for going further than they were supposed to. We have speculated it was just auto-suggestion, but we don't know yet because we haven't seen any of them try to use their powers. No time-skip.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2012-10-27, 01:37   Link #9
Haru-kun

Quote:
In the previous episode, the priest figure had a ceremony to remove their powers from them until they could be judged for going further than they were supposed to. We have speculated it was just auto-suggestion, but we don't know yet because we haven't seen any of them try to use their powers. No time-skip.[/
So it was just my imagination that somehow, they were drawn a bit older and mature...
Old 2012-10-27, 02:05   Link #10
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haru-kun View Post
So it was just my imagination that somehow, they were drawn a bit older and mature...
My understanding is there's a time-skip from parts of earlier eps, where they were 12. But they have been 14 in both the last two episodes. I do think the drawing is different overall in this episode, so perhaps any differences are just a matter of different animation directors for the two eps (they are different).
Old 2012-10-27, 02:11   Link #11
Elestia

Did something happen to the budget? All of a sudden it's nothing but close-up shots and static imagery.
Old 2012-10-27, 02:17   Link #12
HosannaExcelsis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elestia View Post
Did something happen to the budget? All of a sudden it's nothing but close-up shots and static imagery.
It's just the idiosyncratic style of the episode director (Shigeyasu Yamauchi).
Old 2012-10-27, 02:18   Link #13
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
My understanding is there's a time-skip from parts of earlier eps, where they were 12. But they have been 14 in both the last two episodes. I do think the drawing is different overall in this episode, so perhaps any differences are just a matter of different animation directors for the two eps (they are different).
Wait... what. I never noticed a two year timeskip. >_>
Old 2012-10-27, 02:21   Link #14
Kazu-kun

Quote:
My understanding is there's a time-skip from parts of earlier eps, where they were 12. But they have been 14 in both the last two episodes.
No they're still 12. [mod edit: removed hint at future content]

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-11-02 at 16:37.
Old 2012-10-27, 02:30   Link #15
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haru-kun View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elestia View Post
Not your imagination that they were drawn a bit differently,most likely due to this episode being directed by by Shigeyasu Yamauchi who likes to go oldschool and I guess the director of the show let him do it,the designs will probably be back to normal next week.Oh and he loves extreme close ups and toying with the color scheme so there's your reason for that too.

Funny the difference a bit more nose and lips makes:

Images
last week
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Images
this week
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2012-10-27, 03:11   Link #16
Forsaken_Infinity

I won't lie, I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. Satoru being a boss and Saki being awesome in her own right and constant thrills and what not.

But yeah, I was also wondering if or not there was a timeskip and what in the world was going on thanks to the visual difference from the episodes before but more importantly thanks to the huge difference in Saki's treatment of Satoru. I was almost convinced it was at least a couple years after and that the explosion either threw them into the future or that they just skipped the two years in between during which the kids went rogue and learned to hunt and live etc. but that didn't really fit and Satoru was still talking about permisssion and what not so ugh... basically, mind=blown until I read the posts in this thread. That's quite the change from last week really. I loved it though. Hope there's one more episode down the line that's done in this style. Wouldn't mind if its a pivotal one as well.

My only question now is, did the monk with them die?
Old 2012-10-27, 03:22   Link #17
Blaat

"I'm not a monkey" neither are Bonobo, they're part of the Homininae subfamily just like humans.

Honestly though I think I would have enjoyed this episode more if it weren't for the weird art direction by Shigeyasu Yamauchi. His direction worked in Casshern and in that single episode of Mawaru Penguindrum but here it was just too distracting and I couldn't get into the episode.

It's shame because the content of the episode wasn't bad at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
My only question now is, did the monk with them die?
The blood on the razor bones, the flying mask and he disappeared after the explosion kind of hinted that he's dead.
Old 2012-10-27, 03:46   Link #18
Elestia

I wasn't too particular pleased with the direction either. The amount of close up shots really made it disorienting to watch. Half the time I couldn't even tell what was really going on with the chase sequences.
Old 2012-10-27, 04:01   Link #19
kpk10
Banned

Quote:
Interesting to see Saki and Satoru each having their moments/areas of independence, intelligence, and action.

Yeah, Shun usually think he's in control and does everything. That's why I don't like him.

Satoru and Saki are better without him.
Old 2012-10-27, 04:09   Link #20
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Yeah, can't say I was a big fan of the art direction going into this one. I mean, yeah things have gotten serious, but I barely recognized Satoru until Saki called his name.

I will say that Saki and Satoru are a good pair when they aren't arguing. Both pretty capable and able to think on their feet when the situation requires it. Unfortunately they have to keep lying about their abilities or else they will literally be worthless to anyone who has the choice to keep them alive. While I wasn't sure about the art, I did like these two in action.

Makes me wonder how well off the others are. Plus is it a group of 3 or is one poor sap left wandering on their own?

Sucks for the monk, barely even gets a death scene. Here's there one moment and I suspect razor bladed the next. That will teach him to kill libraries.