AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-08-25, 17:55   Link #34621
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

China already been burn, many times in the pass but it still exist.

The US hasn't been burn yet, would the US still be around its turn to get burn?
Old 2014-08-25, 18:04   Link #34622
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
The US hasn't been burn yet, would the US still be around its turn to get burn?
I dunno, I'd say the Civil War was quite a "burn"
Old 2014-08-25, 18:49   Link #34623
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
I dunno, I'd say the Civil War was quite a "burn"
And the Vietnam and Iraq wars have been quite big burns of their own too.
Old 2014-08-25, 23:18   Link #34624
AnimeFan188

Egypt and UAE Air Force jets behind mysterious airstrikes on Islamist
militias in Libya:

"The mysterious airstrikes that have hit Islamist militias in Tripoli at least
twice during the last week were carried out by Egypt and United Arab Emirates
warplanes.

This is what U.S. officials said, according to the New York Times.

Interestingly, the airstrikes were not coordinated with the U.S.: Washington
was not even informed about the raids, even though some American planes have
operated over Tripoli, supporting the recent evacuation of the US Embassy as
well as performing surveillance missions in the area.

It looks like the aircraft (or most of them) launched from Egyptian airbases
(although Cairo has always denied a direct involvement in Libya) with UAE Air
Force providing aircrews, attack planes and aerial refuelers.

See:

http://theaviationist.com/2014/08/25...tias-in-libya/

&

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/26/wo...irstrikes.html

==========================================

Egypt And The United Arab Emirates Bombed Libya, And Qatar Could Be A
Big Part Of The Reason Why:

"Qatar's larger strategy of supporting Islamists throughout the Middle East has
brought it into conflict with Egypt before. After the Egyptian military overthrew
the Muslim Brotherhood government of former President Mohammed Morsi,
relations between Qatar and Egypt rapidly cooled. Egypt has imprisoned three
journalists from Al Jazeera, a Qatari-funded media company, on trumped-up
terrorism charges.

Saudi Arabia, the UAE, and Bahrain have also taken issue with what they saw as
Qatar's meddling in their internal affairs. The three countries withdrew their
ambassadors from Qatar in March, in an unprecedented move among the countries,
over protest of Qatar's support of Islamist movements.

Bombings carried out by Egypt and the UAE against Islamists in Libya could be
an extension of an anti-Qatari policy aimed at limiting the reach and impact of
Islamist movements throughout the Middle East."

See:

http://www.businessinsider.com/egypt...d-libya-2014-8
Old 2014-08-26, 07:12   Link #34625
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Cops called after fliers fight over seat recline

Quote:
NEW YORK (AP) — Airline passengers have come to expect a tiny escape from the confined space of today's packed planes: the ability to recline their seat a few inches. When one passenger was denied that bit of personal space Sunday, it led to a heated argument and the unscheduled landing of their plane, just halfway to its destination.

The fight started on a United Airlines flight because one passenger was using the Knee Defender, a $21.95 gadget that attaches to a passenger's tray table and prevents the person in front of them from reclining.

The Federal Aviation Administration leaves it up to individual airlines to set rules about the device. United Airlines said it prohibits use of the device, like all major U.S. airlines. Spirit Airlines and Allegiant Air take the reclining mechanisms out of their seats, leaving them permanently upright.

The dispute on United Flight 1462 from Newark, New Jersey to Denver escalated to the point where the airline decided to divert to Chicago's O'Hare International Airport, according to Transportation Security Administration spokesman Ross Feinstein.

Chicago Police and TSA officers met the flight, spoke to the passengers — a man and a woman, both 48 — and "deemed it a customer service issue," Feinstein said. The TSA would not name the passengers.

The plane then continued to Denver without them, arriving 1 hour and 38 minutes late, according to the airline's website.

The Federal Aviation Administration can impose a civil fine of up to $25,000 for passengers who are unruly. In this case, no arrest was made, according to airport spokesman Gregg Cunningham.

The fight started when the male passenger, seated in a middle seat of row 12, used the Knee Defender to stop the woman in front of him from reclining while he was on his laptop, according to a law enforcement official with knowledge of the situation who spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to speak.

A flight attendant asked him to remove the device and he refused. The woman then stood up, turned around and threw a cup of water at him, the official says. That's when United decided to land in Chicago. The two passengers were not allowed to continue to Denver.

Both passengers were sitting in United's Economy Plus section, the part of the plane that has four more inches of legroom than the rest of coach.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2014-08-26, 11:23   Link #34626
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Wait, are your praising a gay man and not crying about Yaoi must not corrupt innocent lolis?

You sure change since i last been here.
Old 2014-08-26, 11:42   Link #34627
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Cease-fire negotiated in Gaza

The details have yet to be released, though it appears both sides have agreed to end hostilities, and Israel may have agreed to a relaxation of the embargo on goods entering the Gaza Strip.
Quote:
The details of the cease-fire agreement remained unclear, but over the last two days, people familiar with the Cairo-brokered talks said the discussion centered on an easing of both Israeli and Egyptian restrictions on Gazans’ travel and trade, an expansion of the permitted fishing zone off Gaza’s coast, and repairing the vast destruction this summer’s battle has done to the crowded enclave.

Other issues — including Hamas’s demand for a Gaza seaport and airport, Israel’s demand for Gaza’s demilitarization and the return of Israeli soldiers’ remains believed to be in Hamas’s hands — were to be addressed after a month if the truce holds, they said.
However there are reports that rockets have continued to be fired from Gaza into Israel, so we'll have to wait and see whether the agreement is actually implemented on the ground. I suspect Hamas doesn't have full control over the behavior of the militants shooting missiles into Israel. Will Hamas actually hunt down and arrest or kill those who break the cease-fire on its side?

Just a week ago a cease-fire seemed entirely out of reach.
Old 2014-08-26, 11:55   Link #34628
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Wait, are your praising a gay man and not crying about Yaoi must not corrupt innocent lolis?

You sure change since i last been here.
Hey, tolerating them doesn't mean I accept their actions of intimacy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Cease-fire negotiated in Gaza

The details have yet to be released, though it appears both sides have agreed to end hostilities, and Israel may have agreed to a relaxation of the embargo on goods entering the Gaza Strip.

However there are reports that rockets have continued to be fired from Gaza into Israel, so we'll have to wait and see whether the agreement is actually implemented on the ground. I suspect Hamas doesn't have full control over the behavior of the militants shooting missiles into Israel. Will Hamas actually hunt down and arrest or kill those who break the cease-fire on its side?

Just a week ago a cease-fire seemed entirely out of reach.
People are already calling for Netanyahu to be bring to the ICJ to be convicted for war crimes. What about Hamas?

Amnesty Accuses Israel, Hamas Of War Crimes During Gaza Op (VIDEO)

And goody, even UN is being convicted as a war criminal.

U.N. guilty of war crimes with Hamas?

Annnndddd.........natural selection at its finest.

American Rapper Douglas McAuthur McCain Killed Fighting for Isis in Syria

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2014-08-26 at 19:00.
Old 2014-08-27, 15:20   Link #34629
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
In a press release issued March 3, the day he died, the Louisiana State Police said Victor White III apparently shot himself in an Iberia Parish police car. According to the police statement, White had his hands cuffed behind his back when he shot himself in the back.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/investig...oroner-n185016
that is a neat trick, shooting yourself in the chest while having your hand cuff behind your back.
Old 2014-08-27, 15:29   Link #34630
Shyni

Reminds me of this one, although it's not as... physically impossible as the one you posted.
Old 2014-08-27, 15:30   Link #34631
konart

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I'm pretty sure this is old. Back from late 2013 I believe.

Pardoned..,
Old 2014-08-27, 16:29   Link #34632
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by konart View Post
I'm pretty sure this is old. Back from late 2013 I believe.

Pardoned..,
They can't be bothered to invent news anymore so they just recycle old one as it seems

Next exclusive news from UPI: "Nixon announces the withdrawal of a further 35,000 troops from Vietnam"
Old 2014-08-27, 17:14   Link #34633
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Syrian army attacked on multiple fronts, IS claims air base

Quote:
Two competing rebel groups, including Islamic State, have been attacking Syrian forces, with IS reportedly seizing control of the Golan Heights crossing and a military base.

Syrian unrest which has spilled over into Iraq now threatens the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights on Israel's northern frontier. Al Qaeda offshoot group, al Nusra Front has reportedly seized control of the border crossing into Israel from Syrian government troops. But during the fight, a misfired mortar struck and wounded an Israeli soldier. UN observers could be seen patrolling the Golan Heights on Wednesday as Israel returned fire, attacking two Syrian military locations. These weren't the only bases where President Bashar al Assad's forces were attacked. In Tabqa, to the east, fighters from Islamic State claimed they had taken over another installation. The militants posed on top of jets and showed off weapons and ammunition they say they seized from the army. The also reportedly executed their Syrian army prisoners. Tabqa has been the army's last foothold in this militant controlled region of Syria. It's loss would represent a major setback for President Bashar al-Assad whose forces are now battling many enemies on many fronts.
Can those nuts please leave Israel out of this conflict? Are they crazy or what? We don't need another video showing the world of the entire Golani Brigade rolling over the insurgents labelled "Jews massacring Muslims".

Old 2014-08-27, 22:04   Link #34634
hawkeyesvn
The old ace of Arlington

Maybe this is actually what they want: to divert Israel forces from Gaza ?. IS and other Islam forces' battle plan seem kinda weird to me, they're trying to hit every possible targets. Unless they have a massive joint-force and a proper commanding chain, their attack shouldn't last more than 2 months.
Old 2014-08-27, 23:00   Link #34635
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

But clashing with Israel, even with a small victory can gain them massive support from Islamic public both within Middle East and outside. Simply due to hatred/backslash toward Israel recent reputation and the war on Gaza.

It's a tight rope that IS are walking on through. With each battle they bring toward Israel, the more supports and manpower they will gain from Islamic world. However inflicting too much damage on Israel and they may involve the Israel and US involvements and ended up have to fight too many fronts.

This development could get dangerous. Just like how they have been avoiding US involvement by attacking Syria(which the US refuse to cooperate with), avoid Syrian involvement by attacking the Syrian rebel, or avoid Iranian/ Saudi involvement by attacking Iraq. It might sound stupid for them to fight in so many fronts. But that exactly the reason why each nations states thought they can use IS to weaken their rivals, but during that time allowing them to grow in strength and military number instead.

In some way similar to German in WW2. The UK and France allowing them to take over their ally, Poland , thinking they will clash with USSR and weaken both in the process . However they have NAP with USSR and blitz through France instead, while USSR keep a close eyes thinking Hitler will be happy with conquer Eastern Europe.

Last edited by risingstar3110; 2014-08-27 at 23:20.
Old 2014-08-28, 11:22   Link #34636
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYouSaber View Post
As someone who took part in that demonstration, maybe I could answer your questions.

1. I personally was too young then, but I agree with your view that you can fault them as being cynical. That however, doesn't mean that we shouldn't be asking for democracy now.

2. I, being an idiot, hopes that by coming out, we can voice our frustrations and urge for a real democracy. I agree that it's a very, very difficult task, but I would rather try than doing nothing. Plus, I watch too much anime, and I think most anime MCs tried to fight battles against tremendous odds.

3. I did think about it, and it's very unlikely. However, if it did come to this, it would be mutually-assured destruction. I am sure the Chinese government would come off much worse. For starters, it would end all hopes of reunification of Taiwan by peaceful means because the people would no way swallow Communist rule. It would lead to finger-pointing amongst party officials and faction in-fighting. They also have to care about international reputation, and if they cracked down on its people, I think that makes their claim that they are a "peaceful rising power" much less believable to other nations right?

4. We are not expecting international sanctions after a mere demonstration protest, so yes, I expected only words. But if the Chinese government were to do another Tiananmen V2 in Hong Kong, I have no doubt there would be serious economic sanctions, and that isn't a price that China right now can suffer.
Quote:
KIEV, Ukraine — Russian forces in two armored columns captured a key southeastern coastal town near the Russian border Thursday after Ukrainian forces retreated in the face of superior firepower, a Ukrainian military spokesman said.
The two Russian columns, including tanks and armored fighting vehicles, entered the town of Novoazovsk on the Sea of Azov after a battle in which Ukrainian army positions came under fire from Grad rockets launched from Russian territory, according to the spokesman, Col. Andriy Lysenko.
“Our border servicemen and guardsmen retreated as they did not have heavy equipment,” Lysenko said in a statement.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...0e4_story.html
what is going in Ukraine right now is basically a Full Scale invasion and the western worlds reaction...nothing

what type of sanction do you or anyone would think the western government would be willing to impose on China if China takes away HK self gov and goes direct governing form Beijing?

Democracy activist in Hk needs to paid very close attention to Ukraine. If the western gov isn't willing to stand up to a replay of Prague invasion then what make any of them think the Western Gov will stand up for them.
Old 2014-08-28, 11:37   Link #34637
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
If the western gov isn't willing to stand up to a replay of Prague invasion then what make any of them think the Western Gov will stand up for them.
And, what, exactly did Western governments do in 1956 (Hungary), 1968 (Czechoslovakia), or 2008 (Georgia)? As far as I know, other than complaining, Western governments did little or nothing to change events in any of these cases.

For that matter, what did the Soviets do when the US helped topple left-leaning governments in Latin America? I don't recall their coming to the aid of Chile's Salvador Allende in 1973 or Jacobo Arbenz in Guatemala in 1954, to name just two.
Old 2014-08-28, 11:54   Link #34638
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
And, what, exactly did Western governments do in 1956 (Hungary), 1968 (Czechoslovakia), or 2008 (Georgia)? As far as I know, other than complaining, Western governments did little or nothing to change events in any of these cases.

For that matter, what did the Soviets do when the US helped topple left-leaning governments in Latin America? I don't recall their coming to the aid of Chile's Salvador Allende in 1973 or Jacobo Arbenz in Guatemala in 1954, to name just two.
i am not complainting. i am pointing out that the democracy activist in HK can expect hot air as support form western gov.

Basically the response form western gov if China goes Tienanmen on the Democracy activist in HK is hot air and maybe some symbolic sanction.
Old 2014-08-28, 13:59   Link #34639
LoveYouSaber

Quote:
what is going in Ukraine right now is basically a Full Scale invasion and the western worlds reaction...nothing

what type of sanction do you or anyone would think the western government would be willing to impose on China if China takes away HK self gov and goes direct governing form Beijing?

Democracy activist in Hk needs to paid very close attention to Ukraine. If the western gov isn't willing to stand up to a replay of Prague invasion then what make any of them think the Western Gov will stand up for them.
I was just checking around, and was surprised you would quote my post which I think was back in early July , but anyway, since I got quoted, and the most recent events in Hong Kong are related to this:

If China, did as you say, suddenly take away HK self-gov and goes direct governing, I think it would be shocking to world opinion at least, and then people and world leaders are going to question whether any agreements with China or promises from China is likely to be upheld, when it goes back even on its own people. Again it's going to promote the Chinese threat image, which China seems keen to avoid.

I think credibility is something that is important and China isn't going to risk it, because if you think from the opposite view, if China had nothing to lose by tearing up pledges, they would be directly governing Hong Kong right away.

Ditto for China going Tiananmen on the democracy activity in Hong Kong - even if the Western countries don't go full scale sanctions, it would give extra impetus to the China threat image. And I think in the past, post-Tiananmen, the US believed that doing business with China and helping it turn into a market economy, would make it more liberal in the long-run. If another Tiananmen happened, that line of thinking would be totally discredited (not that it's not being challenged now already!), and I think you would see a difference in strategy and attitude towards China.

So yeah, in a sense you have a point that the Western countries may not be willing to apply serious economic sanctions, but there's still the tremendous negative effects that would come from a V2 Tiananmen, that I think the Chinese government would think twice before doing it.

...and I haven't even brought up what would happen in Hong Kong, if there was a Tiananmen here, and in China.
Old 2014-08-28, 14:16   Link #34640
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYouSaber View Post
If China, did as you say, suddenly take away HK self-gov and goes direct governing, I think it would be shocking to world opinion at least, and then people and world leaders are going to question whether any agreements with China or promises from China is likely to be upheld, when it goes back even on its own people. Again it's going to promote the Chinese threat image, which China seems keen to avoid.
if China is interest in avoiding this image they won't be saber rattling in the South Sea.

Quote:
I think credibility is something that is important and China isn't going to risk it, because if you think from the opposite view, if China had nothing to lose by tearing up pledges, they would be directly governing Hong Kong right away.

Ditto for China going Tiananmen on the democracy activity in Hong Kong - even if the Western countries don't go full scale sanctions, it would give extra impetus to the China threat image. And I think in the past, post-Tiananmen, the US believed that doing business with China and helping it turn into a market economy, would make it more liberal in the long-run. If another Tiananmen happened, that line of thinking would be totally discredited (not that it's not being challenged now already!), and I think you would see a difference in strategy and attitude towards China.
that line has already been totally discredited.

I haven't heard anyone in the US sprout this line in at least a decade. I have read numerous article about why the prediction that China moving to a more capitalistic system didn't liberalize the government.

Quote:
So yeah, in a sense you have a point that the Western countries may not be willing to apply serious economic sanctions, but there's still the tremendous negative effects that would come from a V2 Tiananmen, that I think the Chinese government would think twice before doing it.

...and I haven't even brought up what would happen in Hong Kong, if there was a Tiananmen here, and in China.
sure they would think twice but would still go ahead if they are confident the Western government won't do much beyond a few symbolic sanction and whole lot of hot air.

Bottom line is i think you guys are playing with fire. Xi has been anything but predictable.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international