AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fate/ Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Fate/Zero - Episode 19 Rating
Perfect 10 55 43.65%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 39 30.95%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 22 17.46%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 5.56%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.79%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.79%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.79%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-05-12, 15:27   Link #41
Broskander

Kiritsugu is a bastard lol.
Broskander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 15:44   Link #42
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
Less is more
ugh no it isn't

'Less' is probably better than 'too much,' but 'less is more' just makes it sound like the subtler something is, the better it is, the end, no questions asked. Are stories always overwrought and melodramatic if the characters ever show any strong emotion? Do people never give strong displays of emotion in real life? I guess that Lancer's death would have been more powerful if instead of raging during his demise he just frowned and said "This sucks bro," or that the little boy in episode 2 that was brutally murdered by Caster should have (Rather than scream and wailed) sighed and calmly said "This is rather unpleasant old chap, could you kindly desist?"
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 15:55   Link #43
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

I don't think Kiritsugu's cry at the end is overdone at all. Imagine going through the pain of being forced to kill the one you love the most twice. I am glad that they show the emotional side of him. It contrasts well with the cold and almost emotionless man that we have seen for so many episodes. You probably won't see him showing such emotion again in future episodes.

It also highlights how his ideal of saving people is destroying him. A normal human would value those he personally cares for much higher than rest of the human race. But Kiritsugu, because of his ideal, forces himself to put his father and Natalia on the scale to weigh against all people equally. It means he has two scales in his mind, one that is natural and one that he artificially maintains for making the "right" decision, and he always picks the decision that is good for everyone else and bad for him. Eventually the imbalance will break him down mentally.
Kokukirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 16:20   Link #44
Broskander

I liked Kiritsugu screaming, crying and yelling out of despair. It almost looks like he snapped. You could really he had a lot of pent up frustration over what he did to his father. Doing the same thing to his "mother" triggered that reaction. I really like it. It also makes me realize how much Kiritsugu fears Kirei.
Old 2012-05-12, 16:21   Link #45
mAc Chaos
King of Heroes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broskander View Post
I liked Kiritsugu screaming, crying and yelling out of despair. It almost looks like he snapped. You could really he had a lot of pent up frustration over what he did to his father. Doing the same thing to his "mother" triggered that reaction. I really like it. It also makes me realize how much Kiritsugu fears Kirei.
What about that makes you realize he fears Kotomine? I like how they both are basically sizing each other up the entire time.

It's not just his father though, it's also Shirley, and all the other people he's killed along the way for this path of his.
mAc Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 16:22   Link #46
Lumir

What an awesome episode. It gave insight on the masses vs the one/few. In most cases its about saving the masses but the one to do it has to struggle with his/her own feelings to sacrifice someone(s) he knows/ect. This is a common situation in real life, it really tests the person with the choice to make.

Its easy to see in some fiction people getting some super powers or doing something extremely amazing and saving everyone, but that is the super rare situation. They really built kiru's character with these last 2 eps. If saber only knew... but then again its usually like that.
Old 2012-05-12, 16:29   Link #47
Broskander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
What about that makes you realize he fears Kotomine? I like how they both are basically sizing each other up the entire time.

It's not just his father though, it's also Shirley, and all the other people he's killed along the way for this path of his.
Its because of that scene in the castle before Caster/archibald appeared. Kiritsugu displayed a lot of emotion then, something we had not seen before back then. I remember a lot of people felt it was an ooc moment. So I just realized it took quite a lot for Kiritsugu to breakdown in these flashbacks and Kirei's shadow causing him to have that little episode with Iris back then made me think he was genuinely scared.

I dunno if I'm making sense. ~_~
Old 2012-05-12, 16:30   Link #48
Key Board
Carbon

Phantom of Kiritsugu: Mother's Day Special

Nice episode

but upon consideration..

I think Kiritsugu's real desire is not to be a champion of justice

I think he has a huge trauma regarding vampires

It surprises me why he didn't become a vampire hunter instead
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 16:32   Link #49
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Lol, Natalia even uses the same brand of cigarettes as Aozaki Touko (The type we saw Touko giving to Mikiya in Paradox Spiral). Her office is kinda similar too. The first guy we see Kiritsugu shooting has a face similar to Araya Souren.

Great episode. It was truly heartbreaking seeing Kiritsugu cry for Shirley when he killed Natalia (though slightly ruined by the fact that his face looked a little like Caster).
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 16:34   Link #50
Broskander

Actually I liked the slight demented look Kiritsugu had.
Old 2012-05-12, 16:37   Link #51
mAc Chaos
King of Heroes

Yeah that was on purpose. He was going nuts.
mAc Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 16:57   Link #52
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broskander View Post
Actually I liked the slight demented look Kiritsugu had.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
Yeah that was on purpose. He was going nuts.
Yeah I got that but still. Caster's insanity was more manical which is the only thing I could associate those eyes with.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 17:14   Link #53
HandofFate

damn, these two flashback episodes were great. Really gives a lot of development on the character behind Kiritsugu.

Did Natalia know Kiritsugu was gonna shoot down the plane and knew the conversation was basically their farewell?
Old 2012-05-12, 17:15   Link #54
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
damn, these two flashback episodes were great. Really gives a lot of development on the character behind Kiritsugu.

Did Natalia know Kiritsugu was gonna shoot down the plane and knew the conversation was basically their farewell?
No she didn't. She thought Kiritsugu was still at the hotel.
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 17:24   Link #55
Broskander

I think she sort of saw it coming. I think she smiled realizing she was right about him being able to shoot without remorse/personal feelings/whatever.
Old 2012-05-12, 17:28   Link #56
Awrya
U mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_alfa View Post
No she didn't. She thought Kiritsugu was still at the hotel.
She didn't exactly knew, but suspected he may not be at the airport waiting to pick her up, she did smile when she was about to die.
During one mission with the adult&kid who were gunned down, Natalia stopped Kiritsugu from running after them, at that point she knew he would prioritize other people's well-being over his own.
She also said that he can rationally make decisions ignoring emotions (like shooting his father when he was still a kid).
Old 2012-05-12, 17:28   Link #57
Jaden

The direction in this episode was superb. Overall these flashbacks have been so much more impactful in the anime than in the novels. What I don't like is Kiritsugu's voice actor. Anyone can do an emotionless character, but Kiritsugu is sometimes supposed to be showing his unique brand of despair and madness, and I'm just not feeling it from this guy.
Old 2012-05-12, 17:42   Link #58
Broskander

I agree about Kiritsugu's VA.

I wish we could get some extra flashback episodes for other characters, but not at the expense of the grail war =\

Still pissed with Kiritsugu for killing Natalia. She was awesome.
Old 2012-05-12, 17:54   Link #59
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I think UFOtable's mistake was to put Kiritsugu's origin story that late in the series, when they could have been used as "breather" episodes in both seasons. Putting them the way they did have broken the flow of the story for me. Thanksfully, we are back into the action in the next ep.
Agreed, I actually hadn't realized he was the main character until this second season (originally I thought the show was the kind with multiple central characters but no real "main" character), also would have liked these two episodes to have moved a little quicker (just because I wanted to see how he fell in with the Enzinbern's) but oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X10A_Freedom View Post
I found it amusing how she compared the big Airbus to a Cessna. :P Assuming she was able to land (being no ordinary person, she'll likely do it without crashing), what would have happened was for her to grab an emergency rope (standard equipment) and climb out of the open-able cockpit window, onto the ground. A pressurised aircraft like the A300 is seal-tight and the cockpit door seemed to be able to keep the insects out as well. What would have been done was Natalia to using her connections to keep the feds out, and quarantine the aircraft until the bugs are all dead from natural causes...or hook up a ground air-conditioning unit and do a fumigation.
I actually thought that's what they were going for at first, have her break open a window, jump out, blow up the plane behind her and just walk away, guess she didn't prepare any explosives or sky-diving equipment for that contingency.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 17:58   Link #60
Alaya
Counter Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvianWing View Post
I feel like they should have put the flashback arc in an OVA or package them together with DVD release or something, along with that Tohsaka Rin episode. It's just too jarring with the presentation, not to mention that Kitsurugi just really isn't exactly my favorite character. Really glad we're going back on track now.
Well, ufotable put it where the it is in the novel so there's no complain about that.

For the episode, I think my signature said it best. I guess with his backstory done I can finally complete it.
Spoiler for Kiritsugu's description:

Madoka: This was the tale of magical girls whose wishes are pure and by them are driven to despair.
Alaya is offline   Reply With Quote