AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-07-21, 07:21   Link #41
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

It's dragon quest... anyone who has a DS (which is about everyone) and have some interest in japanese rpgs is going to buy it. Good or bad though, i ll leave it to you people Hopefully i ll be able to get my hand on this...

sigh~ so little time and so many games to play, still trying to finish my digital devil survivor
Old 2009-07-21, 10:04   Link #42
Shadow Kira01

Considering that it is made from Square-Enix and that it is the latest piece to the series of Dragon Quest, one of the most popular ones and that most DQ-fans had waited a long time for the release and that the game itself has quite an awesome customization feature and content, there is no doubt that the amount of sales within the first couple of days can only be expected.

Square-Enix made two popular series: Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest.
Tri-Ace and Square-Enix together made two popular series: Star Ocean and Valkyrie Profile.
Atlus made two popular series: Shin Megami Tensei and Growlanser.

However, out of these 6 popular series, Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest seems to have the most fans. And the fact that the DS is the most common handheld in Japan, not mentioning that the similar situation abroad, it is only to be expected that DQIX ended up on a DS as opposed to consoles. To be honest, however.. Out of these 6 popular series, the one I am least interested in is Dragon Quest. Nonetheless, DQIX does look fairly interesting..
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-22, 17:59   Link #43
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro
Of course, if they speed up development we could see X a lot sooner, making the Wii a viable platform.
What do you mean? You mean if the development is fast, it means that the Wii is viable (for development)? Or that the Wii is only viable if it has Dragon Quest X?

Both of those are poor points to make, though. The Wii is known to be very easy to develop for, just like the GameCube is, and there's no denying that the Wii has its share of great games.
Old 2009-07-23, 05:03   Link #44
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

What I'm saying is, that if the development time of X takes as long as the previous installments, then X will be released in 2013/2014.

By that time it's not unlikely we'll see the Xbox "720", PS4 etc. And it's not unlikely Nintendo will have put out an upgrade to the Wii as well.

If they develop X faster though, it could be released in 2011/2012 during the current generation of games consoles.

A little off-topic - here are some guesses as to when the next generation of consoles will arrive:
NES (1983) - SNES (1990) - N64 (1996) - GC (2001) - Wii (2006) - "Wii HD" (2011/2012) (5-7 years between consoles)
PS1 (1994) - PS2 (2000) - PS3 (2006) - "PS4" (2012) (Exactly 6 years between consoles)
Xbox (2001) - Xbox 360 (2006) - "Xbox 720" (2011/2012) (5 years between consoles)

Then again, if they don't mind releasing X on a previous generation console, we could still see it on the Wii. After all, FFXII also came out just before the PS3 release.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-23, 11:35   Link #45
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

It looks unlikely that we're going to get a new generation of consoles in the normal life span.
  • Nintendo's Wii sells like mad, has even more potential now for innovative games with the MotionPlus and is affordable to develop for.
  • Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Sony's PlayStation 3 have loads of power, and cost a small fortune to developer for.
A newer console would lose the Wii's most important advantage (which is also the DS' advantage), and would cause the newer HD consoles to only have developers that are bilionnaires.

And, of course, there's the recession.
Old 2009-07-23, 13:38   Link #46
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Guess i could ask my question here.

Before this game, which DQ would you guys recommend to play on the DS?
Old 2009-07-24, 02:37   Link #47
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
It looks unlikely that we're going to get a new generation of consoles in the normal life span.
  • Nintendo's Wii sells like mad, has even more potential now for innovative games with the MotionPlus and is affordable to develop for.
  • Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Sony's PlayStation 3 have loads of power, and cost a small fortune to developer for.
A newer console would lose the Wii's most important advantage (which is also the DS' advantage), and would cause the newer HD consoles to only have developers that are bilionnaires.

And, of course, there's the recession.
Yes, it's reasonble to think some consoles are going to last longer this generation. Both Nintendo and Microsoft didn't do so well in the previous generation, so it was only natural they released a follow-up system after only 5 years. As they're doing better this generation they'll obviously won't replace them as soon. Furthermore Sony has said they plan a 10 year lifespan for the PS3 (which doesn't mean the PS4 may or may not arrive at some point of that lifespan).

Basing the need for a follow-up system on current sales figures is a bit early - for Wii/PS3 we're only at the mid-way point of the lifespan I predicted.

I also think that the follow-up to the Wii may not necessarily be a major revolution. It could be the same thing with DS vs DSi, ie: the "Wii HD" would output HD (obviously) and be a bit more powerful, but in all likelihood will be fully backwards compatible with older games.

Still, I still think its' likely the first of the next generation consoles will arrive by 2012/2013.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post

I've only got IV myself, which is okay, but everywhere I read everyone seems to say V is best on DS.

Last edited by GHDpro; 2009-07-24 at 02:47.
Old 2009-07-24, 04:11   Link #48
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
I've only got IV myself, which is okay, but everywhere I read everyone seems to say V is best on DS.
Thanks a lot. I shall give both games a try tonight, and see what i think.
Old 2009-07-24, 18:23   Link #49
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro
I also think that the follow-up to the Wii may not necessarily be a major revolution. It could be the same thing with DS vs DSi, ie: the "Wii HD" would output HD (obviously) and be a bit more powerful, but in all likelihood will be fully backwards compatible with older games.
So, you mean the "Wii HD" would up-scale games? TVs can already do that, and up-scaling is not always as good as the original resolution.

If it would introduce "Wii HD" games, then it's like a new console that is backwards compatible with the older games. The DSi didn't really introduce DSi-exclusive games, except for the online store.

If they make a second edition, it'd likely be with the MotionPlus integrated in a backwards compatible way.
Old 2009-07-25, 05:31   Link #50
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Here's a preview on how the Wii HD could potentially display games:
http://www.destructoid.com/hd-wii-em...t-138610.phtml

IMHO, that's better than other kinds of upscaling. Of course whether the Wii HD will have that kind of capabilities remains to be seen.

Some more related articles:
http://www.whattheyplay.com/blog/200...i-due-by-2011/
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6209105.html
Old 2009-07-25, 11:26   Link #51
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

So it's a video mode change. I did read that the Wii can technically display HD, but it's not powerful enough to do it decently.
Old 2009-08-01, 11:28   Link #52
Kamion
うぷぷぷ・・・

Send a message via ICQ to Kamion Send a message via MSN to Kamion
Quote:

Definitely play V and if you have a PS1/2 (or an US PS3) get Dragon Quest VII. You could also play VIII on the PS2. Having played both VII and VIII will get you acquainted with IX's mechanics so much easier

IX is awesome by the way. Anyone who can read japanese should give the game a go. I'm having a blast. Can't wait until my exams are over so I can finally finish it.
Kamion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-17, 07:05   Link #53
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Just bumping the thread to say the game is released in the US now, so i'm sure there's already a few of you out there who're playing it, and i'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

It's being released in this coming Friday, so i'll be picking it up on release.
Old 2010-07-19, 16:31   Link #54
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Kira01 View Post
Considering that it is made from Square-Enix and that it is the latest piece to the series of Dragon Quest, one of the most popular ones and that most DQ-fans had waited a long time for the release and that the game itself has quite an awesome customization feature and content, there is no doubt that the amount of sales within the first couple of days can only be expected.

Square-Enix made two popular series: Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest.
Tri-Ace and Square-Enix together made two popular series: Star Ocean and Valkyrie Profile.
Atlus made two popular series: Shin Megami Tensei and Growlanser.

However, out of these 6 popular series, Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest seems to have the most fans. And the fact that the DS is the most common handheld in Japan, not mentioning that the similar situation abroad, it is only to be expected that DQIX ended up on a DS as opposed to consoles. To be honest, however.. Out of these 6 popular series, the one I am least interested in is Dragon Quest. Nonetheless, DQIX does look fairly interesting..
DQ is an old-fashioned game with old fashioned sensibilities. Part of that problem is that its fans are resisting dramatic updates that was done to FF, so it is difficult to make it match the HD gaming scene. Hell, most of the old monsters are still here, and all the weapons and armour still look EXACTLY the same! Going full hand-held is a good idea in that the design is suited for smaller screens instead of HD, and that as an old-school grinding-game the ability to play in your spare time without being at home, really helps.

With 3DS coming out soon, the next DQ would likely be on 3DS instead of the ageing wii, though there will likely be another spin off on the wii like the DQ Sword.
Old 2010-07-19, 17:46   Link #55
yongshun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
DQ is an old-fashioned game with old fashioned sensibilities. Part of that problem is that its fans are resisting dramatic updates that was done to FF, so it is difficult to make it match the HD gaming scene. Hell, most of the old monsters are still here, and all the weapons and armour still look EXACTLY the same! Going full hand-held is a good idea in that the design is suited for smaller screens instead of HD, and that as an old-school grinding-game the ability to play in your spare time without being at home, really helps.

With 3DS coming out soon, the next DQ would likely be on 3DS instead of the ageing wii, though there will likely be another spin off on the wii like the DQ Sword.
Dragon Quest X is already announced for the Wii, two years ago.

Head or Gut?
yongshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-19, 21:14   Link #56
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yongshun View Post
Dragon Quest X is already announced for the Wii, two years ago.
Ah, sorry. Missed the news. Still, I am surprised at that. Perhaps there will be a DQX spin-off game on the 3DS that will interface with the wii game for bonus content?
Old 2010-07-20, 11:12   Link #57
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Surprised? Have you missed the massive installed user base that the Wii offers? It's only natural.
Old 2010-07-20, 19:44   Link #58
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
Surprised? Have you missed the massive installed user base that the Wii offers? It's only natural.
It's not that, it's just that wii got the DQ Sword game and I assume the trend will continue. But I guess they had trouble fitting everything they want into a cartridge. The fact that DQIX has room for only one save file is a example of how restrictive it was.
Old 2011-04-16, 04:50   Link #59
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Have many of you hear played the game? Finally picked up a copy yesterday after buying the 3DS on release date. Gonna sit down today and play some hours.
Old 2011-04-16, 17:11   Link #60
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Have many of you hear played the game? Finally picked up a copy yesterday after buying the 3DS on release date. Gonna sit down today and play some hours.
I've played, played and played....and then played some more, not as much as Pokemon SS or I think even White now but yea I think my 2nd most played game on the DS(I've actually only owned a DS since last year on my Bday)

Great game all around and def one of my more favorite RPGs, liked it alot more than Golden Sun so far but then I never got into GS yet cause of Pokemon White

I love the class system for this game, can have great fun with it but at same time seems like it takes forever to lvl up.

Tags
nintendo ds, rpg, square enix