AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-10-18, 19:35   Link #3241
anti-random
We want chicken tonight

Hi guys,
I need to know exactly what a retail employer is looking for in a cover letter and resume when looking over job applications. This is because i have been applying everywhere but still have no response. Please , if you can, provide examples of a cover letter or resume. I know it is a hard industry to get into with no previous experience in that industry but I am thinking everybody didnt have experience when they started so.... I want to know how to enter the industry

Thanks Sephi
anti-random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-19, 12:49   Link #3242
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by anti-random View Post
Hi guys,
I need to know exactly what a retail employer is looking for in a cover letter and resume when looking over job applications. This is because i have been applying everywhere but still have no response. Please , if you can, provide examples of a cover letter or resume. I know it is a hard industry to get into with no previous experience in that industry but I am thinking everybody didnt have experience when they started so.... I want to know how to enter the industry
What kind of position are you applying for? Sales? Operations management? Different roles entail different requirements.

There are plenty of examples of cover letters or resumes out there online, so I'm not sure what more value-add I can provide.

Cover letters
When it comes to cover letters, don't treat it like a lengthier version of a resume (which should preferably be compiled in concise bullet-points). In the first paragraph, give a brief explanation of how you came to learn about the company and the job it is offering.

In the second paragraph, go straight to the point and explain why you think you are a good match for the job. For example, maybe you've set up or run some kind of student business. Or perhaps you have great communication skills, as shown by the way you handled some kind of extra-curricular activity or hobby.

If the third paragraph, give your contact details.

That's it. There is no need to give your academic details or list your other hobbies or extra-curricular activities. That's what the resume is for. Be brief and straight to the point in your cover letter. Think of your best selling point and flog it as best as you can in one or two paragraphs — that's the best way to compose a cover letter.

Resumes
As for resumes, they are fairly standard documents that follow broadly similar templates. Since you're probably looking for your first job, you probably don't have much working experience to highlight. In which case, concentrate on the courses you've taken and the school activities you've participated in. If you've done stuff outside of school, which you think is relevant to a job you're applying for, make sure to include it too.

Note: Never re-use the same resume for every company you apply to. Always try to customise and re-arrange the points to suit the specific requirements of the job you are applying for. For any given company, think: What makes you the best possible candidate for the job? Then make sure to bring up your best qualities to the front of the resume, which ideally shouldn't be more than three A4 pages long. Two A4 pages is preferred.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-20, 02:36   Link #3243
mit7059

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Country A invades Country B for no reason.

The world is angry at Country A.

Country A justifies its invasion: Country B possesses WMD's; therefore Country B is a threat to the world.

Post-hoc rationalization: justifying an action after the fact. In this example, Country A didn't invade Country B because of WMD's, but it justifies its invasion afterward with this reason.

No relation to real world examples intended.
You've actually got it wrong, this is how it goes:

Country A invades Country B under the pretense that Country B possesses WMD's ; therefore Country B is a threat to the world.

Country B has no WMD's

Country A pretends that the talk of WMD's never existed and changes the mission objective to 'freeing Country A's people from an oppressive dictator' therefore justifying the invasion

The WMD's were actually the pre-hoc rationalization, freeing Country A's people was the post-hoc rationalization.

Another example would be a mugger killing a man on the street for his wallet. It later turns out that the victim was a serial killer on his way to his next murder. The post-hoc rationalization would be that it was okay for the mugger to kill the man because it ended up being a good thing that the person is gone, justifying the mugger's actions. But since the mugger didn't know he was doing an service to society he doesn't get credit for it, he's still a muderer.

And no I'm not advocating the outright killing of serial killers etc, we have a legal system for a reason. I'm not Kira.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-20, 20:29   Link #3244
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

A ( strange) question: Recently most if not all the stuff than I buy on amazon.ca using the FREE Super Saver Shipping option is now shipped by UPS when before they where using only the normal mail, am I the only one than it happend ?
Old 2009-10-20, 21:06   Link #3245
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mit7059 View Post
You've actually got it wrong, this is how it goes:
No, I've got it right. What you're getting at is Country America and Country Iraq, circa 2003. The example I used was Country A and Country B; I was intentionally creating a fictional example to demonstrate the logical example with a little joke at America's expense.

I'm quite aware where the WMD idea fits in within the real life timeline. I didn't want to make an explicit comparison to avoid politicizing this silly little happy thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru
A ( strange) question: Recently most if not all the stuff than I buy on amazon.ca using the FREE Super Saver Shipping option is now shipped by UPS when before they where using only the normal mail, am I the only one than it happend ?
I've only started using Amazon relatively recently, but I always get UPS deliveries...I think.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-21, 14:37   Link #3246
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Does anyone feel that in America there seems to be a double standard when it comes to racism? And especially towards Asian? For example I do find that lot of white Americans say lot of racist things to Asian more than to a black Americans or Latinos. The thing is that when they do racist stuff towards Asians, such as asking question about eating dog, question like do you know kung fu, or trying to some random kung fu movements, they don't think it is offensive. But those actions are quite annoying and in a way offensive to others.
Old 2009-10-21, 19:29   Link #3247
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
Does anyone feel that in America there seems to be a double standard when it comes to racism? And especially towards Asian?
No. In my own personal experience, I still find massive amounts of immigrants from Eastern Europe and China who are extremely racist toward blacks, though.
Old 2009-10-21, 22:15   Link #3248
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
No. In my own personal experience, I still find massive amounts of immigrants from Eastern Europe and China who are extremely racist toward blacks, though.
Blazing Saddles (a Mel Brooks film) parodied this quite well... a satirical jab at the idea that "the only thing all the immigrants/races agree on is that they don't want the blacks in their neighborhood" (except it was the Irish ).
Old 2009-10-22, 01:19   Link #3249
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Recently in my school there was a incident with some sorority asking to take a picture in the Asian Cultural Center. And from what I heard they asked to take the picture with an Asian with them stretching their eyes (or something like that I am not entirely sure what the exact detail was). Anyhow the incidents just made me think that they would never go to the African American center or Latino center and make a racist remark. So it just seems that people think it is more ok to make fun of Asians compare to other races.
As for racism towards black I would actually agree with you, back in Korea I remember my cousin was trying to wear more hip-hop style and my aunt said something like"don't do that, that is something those black kids will do".
Old 2009-10-22, 14:45   Link #3250
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
It is true, I can confirm it cause there is quite some racism here but it is not as bad as in some areas
We don't have drive-by's or black people getting beat up at night for being black (in some it si actually them beating you up)
but the people here are cautious about black people and would rather avoid them all instead of confront them (and I agree on the avoiding terms)
Don't get me wrong, there are many good black folks out there and a lot that I know but in Europe it is usually the black community that comes illegally and sell stuff on the streets, steal your money, rip you off and make out like rabbits
That is what mostly happens in countries like Spain, Italy and France where you have many tourists
In the East European side you don't see many black immigrants.. I don't really know why.. it is either too cold or merely the fact that if you mess around in Eastern Europe that you will be found dead in a ditch due to the mafia.. really Russia heck even Sweden can be scary at this point
Their reputation is so well known for their bad behavior that it is understandable that Eastern Europe is rather racist about it, East is very known for the fact that they stand their ground and if you mess with them then you are basically written dead, you do not want an angry Russian
London is almost the same thing, I was there this summer and a friend who lives in downtown London had a nice conversation to me about it and our hotel was in a bad neighborhood also which makes it all the more visualizing, the immigrants hardly work, they sell rip off wares and pickpocket tourists. At night people get mugged regularly (standard police sirens came by the hotel about 6 times a night) stabbed etc. but what they hate the most about it is that a single mom with kids hardly gets any government support whereas the people who do nothing are given a house and a monthly sum of money to get around with for doing nothing.
In Europe the stereotype black person is not the hip hop shouting youth that we see in America but it is the ripping off dealer you see at a street corner selling look alike Gucci bags that runs from the police and robs you if you're not careful. Also if something happens to anyone of their friends you can expect cars to be set on fire etc. just look at Paris it is a fine example, the incident was that in the outer neighborhoods of Paris, where a lot of black immigrants live and where you have a lot of crime and gangs, someone was killed when he ignored a police check and tried to run, what happened afterward is a yes/no blame game some say the police hit him with a vehicle and the police says he lost control over it. In the end there were massive riots by the people there and this incident gives the rest of Europe a bad view on what these people do and think. It added to a lot of hating and dislike
but again there are good black folks out there too, remember that =)
The country I live is not so bad, we have other groups that we worry about and we don't have that many tourists here
but in the larger cities there is a vast reputation about black people ripping others off
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-23, 18:25   Link #3251
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
Recently in my school there was a incident with some sorority asking to take a picture in the Asian Cultural Center. And from what I heard they asked to take the picture with an Asian with them stretching their eyes (or something like that I am not entirely sure what the exact detail was). Anyhow the incidents just made me think that they would never go to the African American center or Latino center and make a racist remark. So it just seems that people think it is more ok to make fun of Asians compare to other races.
There's a difference between mimicking someone physically and saying racially insulting things. Some people don't find the physical aspect to be insulting (although I suppose some people don't find racial slurs to be insulting, either). Just recently a public outcry was kicked up when some tribute to Michael Jackson was done in blackface (non-blacks painting their visible skin black in a clear mimicry that is supposed to represent blacks). You have to figure, that was a high-profile thing - didn't someone think it would offend people? But since it happened, apparently the people behind it figured that it wouldn't be offensive to anyone.

Caucasians may seem insensitive because they don't really have anything directed at them. Any one of their physical features can arguably be found in another race, and they were the dominant (aggressive) race for a very long time. Partly as a result, they don't know what it feels like to be mocked for appearance nor do they know what racial slurs are like on the receiving end. (I know there are a few terms, but they can't compare to the array for other races.)

Either way, that one event shouldn't seem representative of all Americans. Heck, wasn't there some big to-do this past summer because the Spanish soccer team (or some other European sports team) took a group photo where they were all stretching their eyes as if to mock Asians? It's stupid behavior but it isn't really widespread.

Americans do hold some racist views of Asians, of course, in the form of stereotypes - there's a widespread belief that all Asians are geniuses and great at math and science (among with some other stereotypes). I wouldn't be surprised if that's more widespread than the USA, though.
Old 2009-10-24, 03:45   Link #3252
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Americans do hold some racist views of Asians, of course, in the form of stereotypes - there's a widespread belief that all Asians are geniuses and great at math and science (among with some other stereotypes). I wouldn't be surprised if that's more widespread than the USA, though.
Dehumanizing as stereotypes may be, I think that if "math and science genius" is supposed to be an insult, your culture's got bigger problems than racism.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-28, 01:34   Link #3253
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
One of my political science professors sometimes arranges video conferences between her students and students in Russia. When discussing her most recent one in class, she said that she didn't think her students really understood why she warned Russians can be racist until they started asking about Chinese immigration to Canada. Based on the comments made by a number of students who attended, I'm curious as to what exactly was said - and also whether there were any Asian students in attendence, since the make up a huge portion of the student body here.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-28, 07:20   Link #3254
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Dehumanizing as stereotypes may be, I think that if "math and science genius" is supposed to be an insult, your culture's got bigger problems than racism.
Racism isn't just about insults. In many ways, such a stereotype devalues individual accomplishments. "Oh, of course you can do that, you're Asian." Or, conversely, it can make them feel inadequate: "Why can't you do that, aren't you Asian?" The point is merely that you're not treating them as an individual, and thus not as a person. This is a bit of a problem.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-29, 01:01   Link #3255
Oppius
Banned

Which one of these will come sooner? Doomsday or the last episode of Bleach, One Piece, Naruto and Sazae-san?
Oppius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-29, 04:29   Link #3256
mit7059

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oppius View Post
Which one of these will come sooner? Doomsday or the last episode of Bleach, One Piece, Naruto and Sazae-san?
Considering that doomsday is only a little over 2 years away I'm inclined to say doomsday.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=76919

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-29, 17:46   Link #3257
Mr.Raw
Permanent Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Mr.Raw Send a message via MSN to Mr.Raw
Quote:
Originally Posted by mit7059 View Post
Considering that doomsday is only a little over 2 years away I'm inclined to say doomsday.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=76919
I have to disagree with you on that one...they recalculated doomsday...it will be in 2256 (If I can remember it)

Random info:
Signature: Desert Punk

Mr.Raw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-30, 19:24   Link #3258
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
I always believed doomsday would be at 2087, the day that the mutant spider crabs will invade Earth
D: I always believed this as a kid and even now I have high hopes for it
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-31, 02:43   Link #3259
shawnjeezie

Anybody know some good free GIF image editers? im also looking for any free jpeg/jpg image editers if possible. I can't afford abobe photoshop and macromedia flash. its all too expensive. maybe if i could get free downloads for older versions of stuff? Anything that can help. I'm quite the artist when i have the free time or im not duelling, watching anime on the internet, or playing some video game.
shawnjeezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-31, 05:08   Link #3260
JRendell
Manga Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnjeezie View Post
Anybody know some good free GIF image editers? im also looking for any free jpeg/jpg image editers if possible. I can't afford abobe photoshop and macromedia flash. its all too expensive. maybe if i could get free downloads for older versions of stuff? Anything that can help. I'm quite the artist when i have the free time or im not duelling, watching anime on the internet, or playing some video game.
GIMP. If you're looking for a free product that can just about, and I mean just about, stand up to Photoshop, then that is your program. I have a real hard time using it, but thats because I'm so used to Photoshop.

Linky to GIMP.org
JRendell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, q&a, serious