AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2011-04-04, 16:45   Link #2101
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Coroner's personal experience with identifying the dead at this scale of loss.
http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-b...0110405a2.html
Old 2011-04-04, 19:02   Link #2102
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I don't listen to most debates. I wait for manuscripts or minutes to be released so I read them.

Apparently being partially deaf isn't so bad after all.
Ah, but if you have someone like Uncle Joe who takes down the minutes....

Best to listen and then read.
Old 2011-04-04, 19:07   Link #2103
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

All good orators follow that pattern. Listen to Martin Luther King, jr's speech and you will see the same pattern.
Old 2011-04-04, 20:19   Link #2104
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
Japan tsunami dog rescued after three weeks at sea

Click for video report
Here is a follow up of the rescued dog.

Rescued dog back with owner after drifting at sea for 3 weeks

Other news concerning the aftermath of the disaster that hit last month.

Japan confirms death of 19 foreigners in March 11 quake, tsunami

Closed popular Tokyo hotel to shelter 1,600 evacuees from Sat

Neighborhood watch groups form as theft cases rise in disaster-torn regions

And lastly;
Foreign quake survivors seek multilingual info on relief, nuclear crisis

Although the situation is not the least funny this comment got me laughing.
Quote:
As my friend said to me recently (shes only been here a year) "I can barely order a cup of coffee, but advanced nuclear physics in Japanese - I'm your girl!"
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 21:16   Link #2105
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Japan's Tourism affected:
http://www.kspr.com/la-fi-ct-tokyo-d...0,552766.story

Searching for your car...
http://www.npr.org/2011/04/04/135110...autos-in-japan

Last edited by Vexx; 2011-04-05 at 04:26. Reason: deleted one link to bullshit article
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-05, 02:20   Link #2106
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Esepcially since it's sakura season. Many events have been cancelled, including the FMA live concert that I was meant to be going to in May as well as my own opening ceremony which was to be held in the Tokyo International Forum.

The big public arenas it seems are cancelling various things left, right and centre. I heard from my hairdresser who also lost quite a few foreign clientile that most went back to the US or others cause there was simply no work as an entertainer/singer/artist anymore, no one is playing.
More over, I think more than the nuclear threat or slight shortage of petrol is the electrical cuts.

Sure enough, for a power cut to occur mid event would be pointless and we're meant to be conserving, so methinks hence why a lot of things have been, still are being pulled.

If nothing else, this emotionally depresses people where there's nothing to look forward to, in order to get through the hard times. If everyone is reminded of how hard and how depressing it is all is, how are we meant to be supportive and strong as we are when that aura of joy or hope is diminished over and over.

That's not to say, totally forget about those who are dying or suffering up north, but the rest of us have gotta keep going as well

Eitherway, I lost the only two events that I had my heart set on this year to date, the idea of going for hanami somewhere doesn't even appeal at present, since I know quit a few Japanese friends are at the other side of the country, methinks they're still outta Tokyo anyways. :\

Think I need to lock myself in a karaoke room for like 5hrs, which should be remedy enough...

On a side note, it's amusing seeing the trains and stations with lights off in the daytimes when it's sunny like today.
Technically, living life as such isn't a bad idea to conserve energy all around anyways

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-05, 02:24   Link #2107
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
What Japan's crisis tells us about "peak oil" --
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...aster-peak-oil
The article asks us not to condemn it for apparently turning a great tragedy into a wedge issue...then proceeds to do just that. Ugh.

Spoiler for space:
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-05, 04:25   Link #2108
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
The article asks us not to condemn it for apparently turning a great tragedy into a wedge issue...then proceeds to do just that. Ugh.

Spoiler for space:
Argh... sorry about that... didn't read far enough into the article. Deleted from original post.
Old 2011-04-05, 04:48   Link #2109
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Wow , the medias stopped to tell what's really happening there week ago , only the net are giving the news...

Anyway , "Chinese Syndrom" anyone ? The Corium broke the steel & now it's attacking to the concrete & to finish he'll reach the earth between 2000 - 3000 degrees.
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-05, 05:37   Link #2110
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Argh... sorry about that... didn't read far enough into the article. Deleted from original post.
No, thanks for sharing actually. It's good to have many perspectives even if one disagrees with what an article is saying.

I was just a little miffed at what I felt was an article writer abusing the tragedy to advance his/her own cause with tenuous leaps of logic.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-05, 06:57   Link #2111
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

PlayStation Users Giving Big Money To Japan Earthquake Relief

Quote:
As of March 31, PlayStation users worldwide have donated US$1.318 million to the earthquake relief efforts. "While we continue to make every effort to help the recovery of the affected communities in the region," Kazuo Hirai, Sony Computer Entertainment honcho, said in an official release, "I would like to express our gratitude to every single PlayStation user across the world who made a contribution to the effort."

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-05, 10:04   Link #2112
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2011-04-05 at 10:18.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 00:38   Link #2113
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Expats lend a hand under the radar...
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42420250...ster_in_japan/

Japan game companies delayed/stalled, business hurt...
http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-b...0110406ba.html
Old 2011-04-06, 01:28   Link #2114
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Japan game companies delayed/stalled, business hurt...
http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-b...0110406ba.html
Yeah, I'd heard that Disaster Report 4 was canned before. (I really don't know anything about those games though, but that's not the point) I fear that while the victims of the quake and tsunami are holding together quite well, these game company businessman are doing their own version of panicking. Do they think that people will do anything drastic like riot or boycott their games if there's even the slightest hint of tragedy connection? I can completely understand the power shortages hurting game development, but this is going really overboard. It just sounds too much like bean counters going paranoid to me. It's really sickening watching these companies practically panic like this when people who actually suffered from the disaster are doing so well to hold it together.
Old 2011-04-06, 02:50   Link #2115
Green²
It's bacon!

Quote:
"First assessment indicates that one of the IAEA operational criteria for evacuation is exceeded in Iitate village. We advised the counterpart to carefully assess the situation. They indicated that they are already assessing.

-IAEA 30 March 2011 http://www.iaea.org/newscenter/news/...ima300311.html"
The above was from about one week ago. The results of their assessment are now in.
Quote:
"Iitate village to evacuate pregnant women, kids

-NHK World http://www3.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/06_20.html"
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 04:07   Link #2116
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Yeah, I'd heard that Disaster Report 4 was canned before. (I really don't know anything about those games though, but that's not the point) I fear that while the victims of the quake and tsunami are holding together quite well, these game company businessman are doing their own version of panicking. Do they think that people will do anything drastic like riot or boycott their games if there's even the slightest hint of tragedy connection? I can completely understand the power shortages hurting game development, but this is going really overboard. It just sounds too much like bean counters going paranoid to me. It's really sickening watching these companies practically panic like this when people who actually suffered from the disaster are doing so well to hold it together.
Agreed.. I completely understand power, logistics, missing developers, etc. But the "omg, we can't release this because event X just happened" is utterly .... cowardly????? idiotic???

I haven't quite figured this little cultural artifact out because they've done it a number of times (anime, movies, etc) because of coincidence with some real life event and it really fails to make much sense sometimes.
Old 2011-04-06, 04:21   Link #2117
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

It's just posturing. 'We're willing to lose hundreds of millions of yen so we don't make anyone uncomfortable or upset the wa. Look how considerate of others we are! Don't you want to buy other things from a company that's so concerned for society?'
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 04:36   Link #2118
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Special Report: Japan quake reveals cracks in insurance system

Quote:
When it comes to earthquakes, the industry's saving grace has been that consumers just aren't paying attention -- until now, that is. Earthquake insurance is so rare in San Francisco and other places where tectonic plates often slip that even insurers are shocked.
Actually, the real reason is that insurers, despite having quake-plan defined insurances, do not want to offer them. The reason is because if there is one, the claims can immediately wipe out the company's entire capital.

Why? Because earthquakes have a radial AOE : shockwaves travel outwards from a single occurrence zone; unlike hurricanes which will only damage anything in its path. The damage to fixed assets is within zone limits - if the claimant has all of his/her assets within that zone, he/she can effectively bankrupt the entire insurance company in one shot.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 04:53   Link #2119
Green²
It's bacon!

"Argentina is asking Japan to reconsider its decision to pull out of the Copa America football tournament, offering the Asian nation until April 15 to change its mind.

Japan withdrew on Monday from the Copa America — the South American continental championship — with Japan federation president Junji Ogura saying the country needed to attend to the catastrophe at home set off by the March 11 earthquake and tsunami.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/can...?docId=6476651"
Japan should play.
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 09:12   Link #2120
Random32
Also a Lolicon

I think it's understandable that they don't want to release anything. I think a tv channel got criticized for resumig their normal broadcasts too soon.

still, I don't think that anything bad could happen from releasing a game on time...
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disaster, japan, tsunami