AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-05-13, 01:20   Link #81
fullmoon

i watched the trailers on fullmetalalchemist.com, and the only voice you get to hear is al's. they made him sound like some kind of hick. >_<[winces] and hearing that announcer's voice going "FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST!" almost made me sick. it's horrible, what these companies will do to such a great anime... not to mention it's going to be shown on cartoon network...

anyway, i know you should by the dvds to support the makers in japan, so when i get that money i think i'll go on over to japan to buy the japanese dvds.. haha i just don't want my money to go to those funimation b*stards!

i think i'll go into my corner and cry now.
Old 2004-05-13, 01:25   Link #82
ladholyman
Translator for Doremi

Send a message via AIM to ladholyman
Hmmmm, does Cartoon Network actually use the openings? Like on adult swim, they always skip the opening in Inuyasha just to squeeze in one more commercial break. Sigh, sigh, sigh, will this be shown of Adult Swim partly censored or on prime time toonami censored heavily? Either way, I just can't see Funimation (with their "cough" jobs of doing DBZ and Conan) not bothing this up. Why can't they at least subtitle the opening?
Old 2004-05-13, 01:36   Link #83
eminaJC

What's up with all this complaining? Is it really necessary?

First of all, some of you guys seem to be misinformed. Just as Microlith stated, some of you guys seem to be confusing Funimation with 4kids. Funimation dos NOT completely butcher its shows like 4kids does and its dubs are usually not that bad (Yah DBZ was pretty bad but thats ONE show out of the many other shows that Funi has worked on). And if you hate dubs, just like Prince of Chronics and several others have stated, you can buy the dvds. Funimation always releases its shows unedited w/ a japanese language track and subtitles so what would you have to complain about? And if you can't afford dvd's...well, judging from the previews the dubbing doesn't seem to be all that bad (not Al's voice anyway), and most of the blood seems to be unedited so I have a pretty strong feeling that it will be aired on Adult Swim with minimal edits....so don't lose all hope. There will always be some way to access and watch this show...and if for some reason you're not able to watch the show while satisfying your moral and viewing preferences...then you're just gonna have to bear with it...but bitching about how Funi sucks and how they will change all the names and cut out everything and make it into a kiddy show (which would never happen anyway) and emailing Funi w/ hate mail... these kinds of things accomplish absolutely nothing...just relax and figure it out cuz a select few of you are just being ridiculous...

As for me, I was pretty excited when I heard FMA was licensed and I am eagerly anticipating the DVD releases. Sure, I'm disappointed that I won't be able to get my weekly dose of FMA but I'm gonna have to wait patiently until I am able to add this masterpiece to my dvd collection. Besides, I need to free up some space on my PC anyhow.
Old 2004-05-13, 03:49   Link #84
Hao Asakura
Newbie arimasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznpunk97
NOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooOOOOOOOooo OOOOOOOOOooooOOOOoo OOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOooooo....

OOOoooO.... oooOOooo...

i think i'm commit suicide... no more FMA until fall/2004.... i live to watch FMA.

without it, might as well die!

farewell fellow alchemists.... please try not to bring me back to life as it's not worth it... i don't want another homungules running around...
Don't worry man. I'll try to revive you by performing human transmutation when I find any groups who keep subbing it
Old 2004-05-13, 12:06   Link #85
Kouji
StrykerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by eminaJC

First of all, some of you guys seem to be misinformed. Just as Microlith stated, some of you guys seem to be confusing Funimation with 4kids. Funimation dos NOT completely butcher its shows like 4kids does and its dubs are usually not that bad (Yah DBZ was pretty bad but thats ONE show out of the many other shows that Funi has worked on). And if you hate dubs, just like Prince of Chronics and several others have stated, you can buy the dvds. Funimation always releases its shows unedited w/ a japanese language track and subtitles so what would you have to complain about? And if you can't afford dvd's...well, judging from the previews the dubbing doesn't seem to be all that bad (not Al's voice anyway), and most of the blood seems to be unedited so I have a pretty strong feeling that it will be aired on Adult Swim with minimal edits....so don't lose all hope. There will always be some way to access and watch this show...and if for some reason you're not able to watch the show while satisfying your moral and viewing preferences...then you're just gonna have to bear with it...but bitching about how Funi sucks and how they will change all the names and cut out everything and make it into a kiddy show (which would never happen anyway) and emailing Funi w/ hate mail... these kinds of things accomplish absolutely nothing...just relax and figure it out cuz a select few of you are just being ridiculous...

As for me, I was pretty excited when I heard FMA was licensed and I am eagerly anticipating the DVD releases. Sure, I'm disappointed that I won't be able to get my weekly dose of FMA but I'm gonna have to wait patiently until I am able to add this masterpiece to my dvd collection. Besides, I need to free up some space on my PC anyhow.
Any idiot would make quick assumptions like that. Thinking that they give up already when they've only heard one voice over. Geez, you guys give'em a break. As if you can do any better (which you can't). To make these quick assumptions, you'd be either, and I'd hate to say this but this what you guys're if you make this kind of quick assumptions;

1 - A player hater that doesn't respect those companies that have work their butt off just to bring the anime out in the U.S

2 - You can't just be satisfied, all you just do is whine like little children. When you see things like this, you just get in your little "world of worlds" and start acting like little kids whining.
Old 2004-05-13, 12:12   Link #86
Rhythmic
I <3 Hina-chan!

I guess I will never understand the subnazis.

I don't find much wrong with most dubs, sure some are bad thats a given. But, there has been really good dub jobs as well. heck Cowboy Bebop dub to me was lightyears better imo (the jp va's sounded too generic for me)

I say, before everybody gets crazy wait and see if its actually bad first.
Old 2004-05-13, 12:28   Link #87
Kouji
StrykerX

Well, like the previous person said. FUNi doesn't have any connection with 4Kids. They do their animes different. Like with this, you probably can expect the japanese theme to be intact with this U.S version, like the names of people and locations would probably be intact.
Old 2004-05-13, 21:16   Link #88
The Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
Heh, I reckon it would be at least cool also if some or each of the characters in the dubbed FMA; posesses different kinds of voice acting.

Like..

Edward Elric = Standard US accent (hoarse)
Alphonse Elric = Standard US accent (childish)
Winry Rockbell = German accent
Riza Hawkeye = Some feminine James Bondish accent
Roy Mustang = British (English) accent
Lust = Russian accent (purrrr...)
Envy = Standard US accent
Greed = Australian accent
Gluttony = Someone else can suggest one for this :/
Scar = A very hoarse accent. Maybe Scottish? or Middle-eastern type of English? :P

And the list goes on..
...Curse you. Now I've got British Roy, Russian Lust, and Scottish Scar in my great big List of Expectations That Will Probably Never Be Fufilled. Just... gah.

Oh, and Alex Louis Armstrong seems like the type to have a British Lord-ish accent. Don't ask me why. O_o
Old 2004-05-13, 22:39   Link #89
Sakura-chan
A complex "maybe"

Send a message via AIM to Sakura-chan Send a message via MSN to Sakura-chan
The world certanly will live. Yes, it will, no matter how damn surprising that is. I'm not sure if all the FMA fans right now can stand seeing 8 year old kids yelling "In the name of fair trade, I'll punish you!!111oneeleven1" and trying to transmute stuff. Expect a couple of suicides with suicide notes that sound something like"Blame FUNi for my death, they FUBARed FMA"
... Or not.
Old 2004-05-23, 00:06   Link #90
Ral
Idea!

From the Adult Swim message boards

Fullmetal Alchemist

Adding to a month of anime premieres, Adult Swim will debut Fullmetal Alchemist in its Saturday Action block on Saturday, October 23. (Please note the date could change.)

Widely acclaimed and very popular in Japan, Fullmetal Alchemist is the story of two brothers, Edward and Alphonse Elric, who live in a world where Alchemy can be used to transmute objects from one thing to another. Though prodigies of the art, they quickly learn the limits of their power when they attempt to resurrect their mother, costing Edward an arm and a leg and taking the entire body of the younger brother Al, who Ed is only able to save by binding his soul to an antique suit of armor. Now, outfitted with new metal limbs, Ed sets out with his brother on a quest to find the Philosopher's Stone, the only thing that can return their bodies to their original forms. An intense story tempered by lightheartedness, Fullmetal Alchemist manages to be comedic one minute and poignant the next.

Trailers for the series can be found at Funimation’s www.FullMetalAlchemist.com.

Old 2004-05-23, 05:53   Link #91
weyoun6
Romanji is evil

Send a message via ICQ to weyoun6
Don't Panic!

Everything will be fine.

There will never ever be anything subtitled on american tv since americans are dumb and cannot read basic english, and the rest of america has the attention span of a gnat and cannot stand to read anything.

I am sure the dub will be decent - I mean they did a stand up job on fruits basket. So yes, I hope they FURUBA FMA.

If you dont want to watch the dub, well just sit on your hands until the DVD is released. Gosh, do you guys have no patience?
Old 2004-05-23, 13:13   Link #92
Joe Dalton

Im currently suffering waiting on the next subs... damned cancelation!!!!

Im damned proud of not having the patience either... muhaha

*shudders at the words player haters*
Old 2004-05-31, 17:36   Link #93
Gravi-T
Rockin' Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmoon
i watched the trailers on fullmetalalchemist.com, and the only voice you get to hear is al's. they made him sound like some kind of hick. >_<[winces] and hearing that announcer's voice going "FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST!" almost made me sick.
Hey! They actually removed that opening from the site! See for yourself!
http://www.fullmetalalchemist.com

I wonder why. Maybe they decided a last minute change in Al's voice? That little boy wasn't good enough? :O
Old 2004-05-31, 21:36   Link #94
Psyonara
Freelance Gif Apprentice

Excellent news Ral!!!

w00t!

FMA may not be doomed to toonami...

and for your information you sub nazis,

DBZ lacks a good plot... funi can't help that.

In fact, the VA's for it (with the exception of the kid voices) were pretty good.

The VA's for the japanese version sucked. majorly. Goku sounded like a girl on helium. 'nuff said.
Old 2004-05-31, 21:47   Link #95
Yoda117
Galley Slave

Send a message via ICQ to Yoda117 Send a message via AIM to Yoda117 Send a message via Yahoo to Yoda117
My problem with Funimation is the fact that they are located in Tx and therefore do NOT have to use SAG/AFTRA actors. While this does save costs, it comes with the price of using VAs that aren't as capable at times (and I think a few good example have already been used in this and other posts).

When you use non-union actors you usually end up with less experienced and who do not have the benefit of the type of training that most union actors have undergone to get to the level where they are (at least most of them... you find stinkers in every group)...

I know that this will probably irritate a lot of people, but that's my opinion.
Old 2004-06-07, 22:45   Link #96
Kouji
StrykerX

Sure, it may have it's ups and downs. But who knows, maybe we might get the same treatment like FUNi's Shaman King. Because FUNi opted to have Shaman King with both a dub and japanese track. The same thing could probably happen to this anime as well when it gets to DVD.
Old 2004-08-05, 04:23   Link #97
Sesshy
ANBU Elite

Send a message via AIM to Sesshy
Hey, last Saturday, I went to Otakon and saw L'Arc~en~Ciel in concert. (they do the second opening for FMA) As you've probably heard, FUNi's using this opening in their american release of FMA, so they took this opportunity to show off their new dub. (unfortunately for me ><) Before the concert, they showed the first episode dubbed on these huge projection screens in the arena that the concert took place in, and I must say... out of all the sick and disgusting things I've seen in my life, I've not seen any quite as this. The issue wasn't with editing, actually, I don't think there were really any edits in it, (the first ep does have some gory stuff) and they actually took the liberty of throwing a few random interpreted swear words in like "bastard" and such. No, the real problem was the VOICES, as should be expected anyways. I cannot begin to describe how STUPID Ed sounded when he reacted to the first short comment. Oh my god, it was horrid. ;-; And they got the resonance of Al's voice within his armor ALL wrong, not to mention his voice, period. <_< Yeah, when he said "brother," I covered my ears and screamed. Viewing that single episode has left me traumatized for life. Of course, the L'Arc~en~Ciel concert more than made up for it. ^^ Heh, Hyde's engrish was hilariously amusing. In the middle of the concert, he randomly blurted out "I am Evangelion. I am Evangelion... gone BERSERK!" And of course, the crowd went berserk at that moment, it was awesome. So anyways, will the world end? I think the answer to that question is more than obvious at this point. Drop me a line if you've got any more questions.
Old 2004-09-13, 19:54   Link #98
Sakura Haruno
Beauty and Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninraven
There are some dubs I watch because i like them better than the japanese. Ranma 1/2, Cowboy Bebop, Rurouni Kenshin, Trigun and FLCL for example.

I think it's all about what you watch first and get to used to. All of those i mentioned above, i watched the dub first, and just can't get used to the sub voices.

Since all of use have gotten used to FMA's voices, it will be hard for us to hear anything else.

It's not about "american voice acting can never show the emotion the japanese does", that's totally false.

When you hear the new voices, they will be compared to the old voices. Unless the japanese va's learn english, the characters will never sound the same. So that's unfair.

So basically, you get used to what you hear for the longest first. Theres always some exceptions, but whatever.
that is VERY true.
Old 2004-09-16, 06:31   Link #99
-RK-
WoW addict

Send a message via AIM to -RK- Send a message via MSN to -RK- Send a message via Yahoo to -RK-
Quote:
Originally Posted by eminaJC

Wow someone with some sense in this thread. FMA will be just fine and whether or not you like the VA you will most likely watch FMA anyways. Why? Cuz you like it. I dont know where people get off saying that japanese VA's show more emotion in animes. To be honest I dont think there is near enough emotion in Triguns sub. It was very dull to me yet the english dub was emotion left and right.

Did anyone care to remember that if you remove some gore-filled subject matter that FMA wont make much sense? It wont be butchered much, if at all. I wasnt happy with the license but as long as i can see the rest of it I dont care. Also if you dont like the dubs just do what many have already suggested and buy the dvd. Kids these days...
Old 2004-09-16, 11:26   Link #100
crazyXsunshine

rather than ed's voice, what about the hilariousness of gluttony's voice?

no one can really match that, i think

but FMA dubs COULD be worse.
Closed Thread