AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-07-26, 02:34   Link #1
tbl
Affably Evil

Anime/Manga where guns beat magic, swords, martial arts, etc.

I'm looking for the type of anime or a manga series where an assault rifle will beat an incredibly trained swordsman, magician or martial artist.

As cool as it is to see someone slice a bullet in half, or dodge it at point blank range, sometimes I get tired of suspending my disbelief and just want to see the realistic outcome of a simple gunshot wound to the head.
Destroy. Destroy. Destroy. Slowly, completely, gently beyond comparison, cruelly to the point of numbness, I'll violate your life. That's right. The instant I rip off your limbs, tear open your rib and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you scream in agony, chewing through your eyes as I ignore your pleas for mercy and spreading your brains on the ground like butter! I am sane, well more or less

Old 2008-07-26, 02:39   Link #2
9mmx19

If anything I would say most animes have stuff beating guns. The one gun heavy anime that comes to mind is Black Lagoon.
Old 2008-07-26, 03:10   Link #3
jedinat

Like this, huh?

I can't really think of anything that highlights the contrast, unfortunately. Guns are no fun ^^
Old 2008-07-26, 05:39   Link #4
Jmanamj

Trigun?

I guess inhuman speed used to dodge bullets counts towards magic...

If you really want to see some good gun action go for a live action show, you don't see it often in Anime.
Old 2008-07-26, 06:17   Link #5
Arkuatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmx19 View Post
If anything I would say most animes have stuff beating guns. The one gun heavy anime that comes to mind is Black Lagoon.
That and Black Cat
Old 2008-07-26, 06:39   Link #6
tbl
Affably Evil

I'm not looking for an anime or manga that centres around guns per se, just a series where common sense prevails. I couldn't have been the only ones who thought the characters in Harry Potter were stupid not to you "muggle" weapons against there enemies. The odds would be drastically increased for the side you decided to obtain a few RPG's, grenades, assault rifles, etc. I couldn't have been the only one who wanted to see Voldemort gunned downed by an M4A1 carbine.

The Dresden Files books would be somewhat of a good example.
Destroy. Destroy. Destroy. Slowly, completely, gently beyond comparison, cruelly to the point of numbness, I'll violate your life. That's right. The instant I rip off your limbs, tear open your rib and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you scream in agony, chewing through your eyes as I ignore your pleas for mercy and spreading your brains on the ground like butter! I am sane, well more or less

Old 2008-07-26, 07:16   Link #7
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

Black Lagoon is what ur looking for... Everyone has a gun in this series lol...
Old 2008-07-26, 07:25   Link #8
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

hello people, in Black Lagoon, people chop bullets in half with swords.
Old 2008-07-26, 09:14   Link #9
Stargaze
Lost in the starry sky...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus ex Digital Boy View Post
hello people, in Black Lagoon, people chop bullets in half with swords.
Yep, I was like, Black Lagoon? What? Can't be that realistic. But aside from a guy who can chop bullets in half, children with elephant guns, it is somewhat a more realistic anime than others. This also depends on how realistic you want really Most animes are unrealistic, that is what makes anime anime. I could suggest a few that is realistic on the gun part but there may still be other unrealistic references.

I'll suggest:
Dectective Conan
Death Note
Soul Link
Blassreiter

Yes, yes they don't have too much reference to guns and they are all unrealistic in different aspects, some even more absurd than simply dodging bullets. But I'm fairly sure the guns in these anime work the way you want them too

Is this what you want?
Old 2008-07-26, 11:45   Link #10
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Does Gundam and Macross count?

I know in the epic fights, gundams usually take out their melee weapons, but most of the time they use guns. Macross is a gunfest, that should fit your taste.

Gunslinger Girl comes to mind as well.
Old 2008-07-26, 12:06   Link #11
Bad wolf
Pacifist War Lord

Send a message via AIM to Bad wolf Send a message via MSN to Bad wolf Send a message via Yahoo to Bad wolf
ghost in the shell.
Cowboy bebop
Full metal panic
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Thats all I can think of that haven't been mentioned.
Old 2008-07-26, 23:44   Link #12
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

I am not sure ( I did not watch the show, only read the tread) but Golgo13 might be something you should watch.
Old 2008-07-27, 00:49   Link #13
Monkey D. Luffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbl View Post
I'm not looking for an anime or manga that centres around guns per se, just a series where common sense prevails. I couldn't have been the only ones who thought the characters in Harry Potter were stupid not to you "muggle" weapons against there enemies. The odds would be drastically increased for the side you decided to obtain a few RPG's, grenades, assault rifles, etc. I couldn't have been the only one who wanted to see Voldemort gunned downed by an M4A1 carbine.

The Dresden Files books would be somewhat of a good example.
lol Good one.

I recommend Blue Gender, Jin Roh and Crying Freeman, you might have already seen them but these come to mind with what you said. Yeah somebody could nitpick and dissect what's realistic or not about them, but these series are good and have a good sense of common sense to them.
Old 2008-07-28, 17:05   Link #14
Practical joke
...completely lost it...

Hellsing: mostly it's overpowered main character, but among all his powers he still uses a gun

and I totally agree on bringing up Black Lagoon

It might not be a fantasy setting, but Monster is worth watching, it's a long show, sometimes very slow-going, but it's all worth it, Great show, a must see.

EDIT: Devil May Cry and Wolf's Rain came to mind
Old 2008-07-28, 17:39   Link #15
Niji

Just suggested Noir somewhere, might work in this thread, as well. The guns work the way, they were intended to. At least if my memory does not play me a trick...
Old 2008-07-28, 17:44   Link #16
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638
If we're talking military tanks and stuff, you can put Zero no Tsukaima on the waiting list, even though there's not much of that.
Closed Thread