AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-05-22, 10:06   Link #341
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Xbox_ONE_functions.mp4
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 10:22   Link #342
Witch of Uncertainty

[
Witch of Uncertainty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 10:29   Link #343
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Send a message via MSN to Tong
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
The Occulus Rift and EVR would like to have a word with you
Virtual reality? Looks and sounds great! But I'm more of a traditional kind who preffers a screen and the old good controller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I would like 60 FPS for every game please.

Even those that don't need it! Like Atelier! Give Atelier 60 FPS !
While 60fps is good, 120fps would even be better!
Try playing in a True 120hz display... can't ever go back to 60hz again.

Now THAT would be truly revolutionary.
Old 2013-05-22, 11:01   Link #344
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Several comments have been deleted and anyone that insists on posting (insulting) about other posters will receive a warning and/or infraction.
Old 2013-05-22, 11:05   Link #345
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Because the Xbox is going to be a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a gaming rig.... like duh. Why buy this $400 thing instead of this $1600 pc!!
You must be one of those people who fall for those scammers at Bestbuy and Alien or Dell and believe everything they say you need when it comes to computers.

I can build a high end PC with 3 monitors for less than $1200 and this PC will last for years or even decades.

On my own PC I built a long time ago I watch movies, TV shows, downloads, do work, play games and it's been running with me for almost 5-8 years and still kicking and it can play games like Crysis 3 no problem. I'll be using it a lot more than an Xbox so it pays off in the end.

The only time I watch on my big screen TV is when I buy Blu-ray movies for my PS3 which I barely use for gaming.

To me it PC seems a heck of a lot cheaper because I can already do everything on it anyways. It's more efficient because computers are almost a necessity now a days and very efficient. Xboxs, PS3s, etc. are NOT necessary to have in the household and you can live without them. Try living WITHOUT a PC in this day and age.

Which brings to my point about this Xbox 1, the PS3 does quite a bit but to me I barely even use it so why would I go for the Xbox 1? Surely I cannot be the only one.

When I go to Bestbuy there's this talk about Smart TV's that can hook onto the internet but why? If you have a PS3 or something why do you need to pay extra for a TV that does the same or when it's easier to go through a computer? A lot of these things are simply overlapping with each other I think it's getting out of hand. As a result it's driving the costs of these appliances up when they can just keep it simple and focus on what really matters.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 11:21   Link #346
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
You must be one of those people who fall for those scammers at Bestbuy and Alien or Dell and believe everything they say you need when it comes to computers.

I can build a high end PC with 3 monitors for less than $1200 and this PC will last for years or even decades.
A GTX TITAN alone costs 999$, and it will be obsolete long before a decade.
Overpriced? Then spend 700$ in a proper SLI setup, multi-display setups demands high performance afterall. A decent CPU? There goes more 300$. Now, you could half-convince me if you somehow get the rest of the components for 200$

I think you're understimating how fast technology advances.
Old 2013-05-22, 11:25   Link #347
Destined_Fate

Well, do note that most people have no idea how to build a PC and don't even use google for advice on parts. They also don't have the time for it and prefer to just buy it and have it come in all together in one piece with no real set up needed other than plugging things in.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 11:30   Link #348
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post

While I agree with the general sentiment of your statement, IMO your number is a bit off, unless what you consider "high end" is very different from mine.

First, your 3 monitors will have to be budget TN panel screens, not what I'd consider high end or even consistent, and even then it'll still eat up at least 1/4 to 1/3 of your budget, probably more.

This leave you with little room for SSDs or the higher end GPUs, not to mention a good CPU/Mobo/PSU. Not to say you can't build a decent performer from the roughly 7-800 or so you have left, but it'll be a decidedly mid-range rig at most. My old Bloomfield (920) rig is still trucking after almost 4 years, but only because I've updated the GPU, and even with it OC'd to 4.0Ghz on water, I have no illusions about it being able to remain serviceable for another 6 years for gaming purposes.

Quote:
Xboxs, PS3s, etc. are NOT necessary to have in the household and you can live without them. Try living WITHOUT a PC in this day and age.
Not really relevant as consoles are gaming oriented, PC isn't. I buy consoles because there are games on there I want to play, my PC is never part of the equation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong View Post
Overpriced? Then spend 700$ in a proper SLI setup, multi-display setups demands high performance afterall. A decent CPU? There goes more 300$. Now, you could half-convince me if you somehow get the rest of the components for 200$

Well, a Titan is just overkill, that thing doesn't begin to pretend to be something remotely cost-effective

TBH, if you're going to spend only $700 on a SLI, I'd rather just go for the $500 single card solution, more consistent performance across titles and less issues, not to mention the reduced heat.

But yea, pretty much what you said there, don't forget how much a quality PSU costs, too many people skimps on those only to have it come back and bite them in the ass later.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 11:51   Link #349
problemedchild
ô_ô

PC games tend to go online a lot more often than console games though. It's not too rare to snag an entire bundles of games from a Steam sale for less than $20. So depending on how how often you do buy games, it's possible that PC gaming can be cheaper than console gaming.

Secondly, this isn't the early 2000's where PCs go obsolete in the span of one year. A several year old PC can still play many current releases with no real issues. Hell, my E6600 and 460 GTX was able to run Saints Row 3 with no issues at all on high quality. While I do understand that someone seeking to play Crysis 3 will likely need to upgrade, not all games are as processing intensive as Crysis 3.

I'll likely end up getting both the PS4 and Xbox One whiling keeping my PC as my primary gaming rig, which console I buy first will depend on which exclusive catches my eye first.
problemedchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 12:16   Link #350
GDB

Quote:

Why does "high end" have to mean "the best"? You can easily make something high end that isn't the TOP end, and it won't cost you your kidney.

Granted it'd still be more expensive than a gaming console, by far, but it isn't as if you have to get the most expensive thing available.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 12:17   Link #351
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

I read people here talking about $400 xbox one, but according to a good insider source mentioned earlier this thread, the standalone price will be $500. That or a I think it was #300 plus mandatory two year xbox live gold subscription plus $10 a month for a year I think. Either way, the xbox one is not cheap, relatively speaking.

Also the kinect will be contributing to those prices, but the ps4 will be shipping with the PS eye by default as well I believe.
Old 2013-05-22, 12:30   Link #352
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:

You can buy a $300 GPU that'll last you a good 4-5 years while still looking better than the consoles. Even if you need to upgrade you really just need to swap the GPU down the line.

Why are you including the cost of monitors into the equation. You might as well add the price of a HDTV to the console then.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 12:32   Link #353
Freeter
beyond

I'm curious to see what impact the branding may have on potential sales. Plus, eBay scammers are going to have a field day trolling early buyers
Old 2013-05-22, 12:50   Link #354
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Part of the reason it isn't that expensive to buy a gaming PC these days, is that very few games out there actually take full advantage of PC's capabilities. Far too many recent games are ported from console, which means most of them can be run on 5 year old PCs, though not on the highest resolution.

Extreme high end PCs for games exist. But you can count games that need such hardware with one hand.
Old 2013-05-22, 12:59   Link #355
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
While I agree with the general sentiment of your statement, IMO your number is a bit off, unless what you consider "high end" is very different from mine.

First, your 3 monitors will have to be budget TN panel screens, not what I'd consider high end or even consistent, and even then it'll still eat up at least 1/4 to 1/3 of your budget, probably more.

This leave you with little room for SSDs or the higher end GPUs, not to mention a good CPU/Mobo/PSU. Not to say you can't build a decent performer from the roughly 7-800 or so you have left, but it'll be a decidedly mid-range rig at most. My old Bloomfield (920) rig is still trucking after almost 4 years, but only because I've updated the GPU, and even with it OC'd to 4.0Ghz on water, I have no illusions about it being able to remain serviceable for another 6 years for gaming purposes.
My definition of high end is best bang for buck.

The fact is is that this was for someone else and not me. I do not need 3 monitors but it doesn't change the fact that it's not that expensive when you look around. It's no more different than say going to Walmart or Bestbuy to find a good priced TV.

As others have pointed out, technology becomes obselete very quickly as newer ones are always coming out so there's very little reason to spend over $150 for a new GPU card. There are always deals lying around that you can take advantage of.

I mean do you really need to spend $5000 on a GPU card? No you don't because as VCV pointed out most games will never reach that level. Plus do you need to keep everything on Ultra? No you don't as most wouldn't even notice the difference.

Quote:
Not really relevant as consoles are gaming oriented, PC isn't. I buy consoles because there are games on there I want to play, my PC is never part of the equation.
Exactly but as you see they are trying to make them to do everything including the kitchen sink.

Quote:

I think you're understimating how fast technology advances
Like I said you don't need to spend that much on a GPU unless you have tons of money to spend and very picky. I'm not as I'm content with most settings on normal.

For me, as long as the game runs decent that's good enough for me.

I had a back projector TV for almost 10 years and I only upgraded to an LCD HD 50 mainly because the projector TV broke. That's my point, why do you need to keep upgrading? As long as you find that middle point the games will still run fine. Likewise I'll keep using this computer which played Tomb Raider and Far Cry 3 with zero issues until it finally breaks down and it's still going strong for over 5+ years.

For example, the iPhone 4, do you really need to upgrade to an iPhone 5 right now?

Quote:
Part of the reason it isn't that expensive to buy a gaming PC these days, is that very few games out there actually take full advantage of PC's capabilities. Far too many recent games are ported from console, which means most of them can be run on 5 year old PCs, though not on the highest resolution.

Extreme high end PCs for games exist. But you can count games that need such hardware with one hand.
In the end the computer pays itself off because you're not going to just be using it for gaming. You'll be using it for work, watching shows, chatting, etc.

Plus the fact that you have to pay a subscription fee to use the Xbox online really gets on my nerves. *Note* I dont' have an Xbox.
Old 2013-05-22, 13:10   Link #356
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Why does "high end" have to mean "the best"? You can easily make something high end that isn't the TOP end, and it won't cost you your kidney.

Granted it'd still be more expensive than a gaming console, by far, but it isn't as if you have to get the most expensive thing available.
Well you see, that's not even the *Best* setup you can get.

And personally, I think if you're not going to upgrade for better, either from a console or older PC, then it's just not worth spending on a PC.

I've never heard of anyone "upgrading" to mid/low-range parts... If so, then either the system was very old and defective, or the guy's still playing ancient games.

Playing on MAX Settings at decent framerates is the PC Dream, and eventually everyone goes for it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
You can buy a $300 GPU that'll last you a good 4-5 years while still looking better than the consoles. Even if you need to upgrade you really just need to swap the GPU down the line.

Why are you including the cost of monitors into the equation. You might as well add the price of a HDTV to the console then.
I didn't take Displays in consideration, but there's no way to play on 3 displays with decent frames. Multi-display is enthusiastic material by default.

But you're right, a single 660Ti is enough to max most games... if not bottlenecked
Old 2013-05-22, 13:17   Link #357
Dirty_Harry

PCs with mid-range gpu in medium settings >>>> virtually any console game in graphics. Be obsolete or not is relative here.
Dirty_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 13:19   Link #358
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Quote:
I've never heard of anyone "upgrading" to mid/low-range parts... If so, then either the system was very old and defective, or the guy's still playing ancient games.
For the record I never said anything about upgrading.

I said building a new rig with current tech. You can find a decent GPU card in the $175 range and it'll play the newest games on high standards with little issues. They're expensive but they get cheaper as the months go on.

Quote:
Playing on MAX Settings at decent framerates is the PC Dream, and eventually everyone goes for it

I didn't take Displays in consideration, but there's no way to play on 3 displays with decent frames. Multi-display is enthusiastic material by default.
Says the guy that says that max settings at decent framerates is the PC Dream....everybody always wants the best but you can NEVER get the best because the best of today will be dinosaur by tomorrow.
Old 2013-05-22, 13:24   Link #359
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Apparently now Indie developers won't be able to self-publish on the One like they could with the 360 XBLA.

Just keep on failing Microsoft. A gaming industry with only Sony and Nintendo as the main console competitors sounds pretty awesome to me right now, and it's looking more and more likely.~
Old 2013-05-22, 13:26   Link #360
Destined_Fate

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/05/22/xb...blig-channels/

Well there's at least this. Wonder how it will turn out.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote