AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Suisei no Gargantia

Notices

Old 2013-04-11, 19:23   Link #481
LystAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiryuu View Post
I think it's more a matter of unfamiliarity with the concept of restraint. When you've become highly accustomed to fighting an enemy where no level of firepower is truly sufficient and anything short of eradication will only get you killed, you become a little excessive. In his mind this wasn't overkill, it was minimal action to eliminate an enemy; he just forgot that his "enemy" on Earth is also human.
I agree; from what I've seen of the first episode, the battle doctrine Ledo follows is significantly different from the conventional (more familiar) combat the humans on the flooded Earth employ. That doctrine is basically vaporize your enemy before they vaporize/overwhelm you.

Going by what we have seen of the aliens, they're just as capable as the Galactic Alliance at beam spamming (that Blossom fortress is a prime example, it literally one-shots entire fleets.) While individually a Alliance mecha maybe superior, the aliens appear to severely outnumber the Galactic Alliance forces and possess regenerative abilities that necessitate weapons capable of such quick disintegration (and inferring from these two insights, they are also capable of replacing their losses just as quick).

While we may be impressed by how awesome Chamber and Ledo perform in combat, it is easy from my perspective to understand why humanity is losing in the war against the aliens. Notice Chamber doesn't even try to attack the Blossom fortress while in overdrive mode, that infers limits for how each individual mecha (even their ships) can spam, and they were spamming like crazy to keep that Blossom fortress from regenerating.

Going from that, the only way Ledo and Chamber know how to fight is to do what they just did to those pirates. For the Gargantians, that method of fighting is nearly unconscionable; it was more of a massacre than a battle.
LystAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 19:33   Link #482
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastek66 View Post
Ledo - レド
Red - レッド
So it's Ledo then? At least it is spelled that way on the wikipedia article.

I thought this might be a case of Raito/Light but if it really is Ledo that works for me.
Old 2013-04-11, 19:41   Link #483
Cirno
Eye'm the strongest

Yeah, his name is Ledo (レド), not Red (レッド).
Cirno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 22:32   Link #484
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

So who else already plans to vote for Amy in Saimoe?
andyjay729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 22:43   Link #485
Shinhwa
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjay729 View Post
Hmmm not sure.... yet
Shinhwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 22:45   Link #486
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
I feel like they're already hinted at less than light-hearted things, with the seemingly totalitarian/utilitarian society of the protagonist, as an example.

Also, are they using Polish/German/Other eastern european words?
You think Ledo's society are just "totalitarian/utilitarian"? Some /a/nons have been comparing the first half of Ep. 1 to Starship Troopers. And as I said earlier, note how shocked the Gargantians looked when he annihilated the pirates. We all saw how "healing" PP was (low body count, but still a rather depressing ending), so I'd strap yourself in for this one.

But yes, that doesn't mean everyone will die. (At least spare Amy, please Gen?)
andyjay729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 22:48   Link #487
Shinhwa
Banned

Knowing our Urobutcher, he will cause tragedies throughout this series one way or another...
Shinhwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 22:56   Link #488
Cirno
Eye'm the strongest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinhwa View Post
Knowing our Urobutcher, he will cause tragedies throughout this series one way or another...
Quote:
I just hope Amy and Bellows still survived from death before Saimoe.
Cirno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 23:01   Link #489
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Amy will survive. Scarred probably, but survive. Bellows and that mechanic dude are probably prime candidates for termination with extreme prejudice.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 23:33   Link #490
novalysis

Amy shall be given a four episode long death scene.... that is my prediction.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 03:41   Link #491
ginger02

Can't wait to see it in HD later on Sunday. Really loving the relationship between Ledo and Amy.

Quote:
Saimoe?
ginger02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 04:29   Link #492
Tenzen12

International saimoe is internet popularity contest of anime girls.

Anyway I would rather vote for Bellows.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 04:33   Link #493
BoyTitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LystAP View Post
I agree; from what I've seen of the first episode, the battle doctrine Ledo follows is significantly different from the conventional (more familiar) combat the humans on the flooded Earth employ. That doctrine is basically vaporize your enemy before they vaporize/overwhelm you.

Going by what we have seen of the aliens, they're just as capable as the Galactic Alliance at beam spamming (that Blossom fortress is a prime example, it literally one-shots entire fleets.) While individually a Alliance mecha maybe superior, the aliens appear to severely outnumber the Galactic Alliance forces and possess regenerative abilities that necessitate weapons capable of such quick disintegration (and inferring from these two insights, they are also capable of replacing their losses just as quick).

While we may be impressed by how awesome Chamber and Ledo perform in combat, it is easy from my perspective to understand why humanity is losing in the war against the aliens. Notice Chamber doesn't even try to attack the Blossom fortress while in overdrive mode, that infers limits for how each individual mecha (even their ships) can spam, and they were spamming like crazy to keep that Blossom fortress from regenerating.

Going from that, the only way Ledo and Chamber know how to fight is to do what they just did to those pirates. For the Gargantians, that method of fighting is nearly unconscionable; it was more of a massacre than a battle.
Even the U.S. Coast Guard would have sunk the 3 enemy ships and sniped the hostages what do you mean restraint. Then again that's because of paranoia never know if some ones tryna sneak a bomb close etc better to kill with extreme prejudice and be safe.

Honestly this is a series I could do with out a blood bath lets see something different long character development etc not more wasted potential like psycho pass. Oh well this season I got tons of anime to watch and multiple scifi so if one messes up I have another to fall on,Kakumeiki Valvrave was really good better than it looked in the trailers.

Only reason I can see to over react is due to the vast power difference. If this guy we do not know whats to kill us all we are doomed. Tho thats not gona be the reason they bitch oh no this guy killed the people we told him to kill how evil roll eyes -_-.

And for the love of god please let me be wrong do not have the cast yell at him for killing I hate main progs when they are soldiers who don't kill its illogical its stupid and its like getting paciest view crammed down your throat. Kira from seed,Kio asuno from age, The main character in eureka 7 who was such a wimp I couldn't watch the series.

Last edited by BoyTitan; 2013-04-12 at 04:45.
BoyTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 05:29   Link #494
Seiryuu

Considering UB made Madoka Magica, I imagine we can expect some serious surprises, esp. once we've become complacent, but at the least certain central characters should pull through, and maybe even come out with a relatively happy end (like Madoka). I doubt he'll kill Ledo or Amy off (though no big bets on anything), but just about everyone else is fair game. Wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't take all that long before Amy's two girlfriends are dead, maybe by Earth's first encounter with the enemies that made such ruthless efficiency necessary.
If he does kill Amy, may he find an angry mob prepared to subject him to worse.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 05:55   Link #495
duckroll
綺羅星★!

I think one thing that people going UROBUCHI UROBUCHI should probably note is that unlike Madoka and Psycho-pass where Urobuchi was involved in writing just about every episode, Gargantia is a show where he was involved in the concept work with the director and he's supervising the series, but he's not writing every episode. In fact, aside from writing the first episode, it doesn't look like there'll be another Urobuchi episode anytime soon. Episode 2-5 are all written by other people.

Murata is the director, and considering how similar Gargantia and FMA Milos feel, I'll say he's a director with a very clear vision of the sort of tone and visuals he wants from his show.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 06:06   Link #496
kaizerknight01
Extra Superior Otaku

interesting series obliviously Ledo ( ?) was different set of rules of engagement that he operates in ( Well you re fighting giant space creatures etc ... )the definition of Enemy in his mind are too just blast and beam spam every thing [ pretty neat that you can adjust laser/beams between friendly and foes ]

but he and both his unit chamber could have use some restraint .....

Last edited by kaizerknight01; 2013-04-12 at 06:19.
kaizerknight01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 07:02   Link #497
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinhwa View Post
Let's start up a betting pool on who will be killed off by the end of the show.
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 08:00   Link #498
desrtsku
Nympholept

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
I think one thing that people going UROBUCHI UROBUCHI should probably note is that unlike Madoka and Psycho-pass where Urobuchi was involved in writing just about every episode, Gargantia is a show where he was involved in the concept work with the director and he's supervising the series, but he's not writing every episode. In fact, aside from writing the first episode, it doesn't look like there'll be another Urobuchi episode anytime soon. Episode 2-5 are all written by other people.

Murata is the director, and considering how similar Gargantia and FMA Milos feel, I'll say he's a director with a very clear vision of the sort of tone and visuals he wants from his show.
Just in case, I'll quote this to make sure everyone sees this wonderful post.
Old 2013-04-12, 08:04   Link #499
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Hopefully this will be better than Milos, that story was a mess.

At least this is original property though.

Quote:
That sounds similar to the situation Moffat finds himself in with Doctor Who.

He doesn't write every episode but he is still heavily involved (and sometimes even does rewrites).

I am not discounting the director's contribution to the story but I don't think we should discount Urobuchi's role either, even if he doesn't have as large of a hand as his other works he probably still has a very large hand.
Old 2013-04-12, 08:46   Link #500
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaizerknight01 View Post
interesting series obliviously Ledo ( ?) was different set of rules of engagement that he operates in ( Well you re fighting giant space creatures etc ... )the definition of Enemy in his mind are too just blast and beam spam every thing [ pretty neat that you can adjust laser/beams between friendly and foes ]

but he and both his unit chamber could have use some restraint .....
How so?

Tags
action, harem, mecha, post-apocalyptic, sci-fi, urobuchi