AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hanasaku Iroha

Notices

View Poll Results: Hanasaku Iroha - Episode 12 Rating
Perfect 10 26 36.11%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 28 38.89%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 9 12.50%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 11.11%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.39%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-19, 19:59   Link #41
Jonothon

Poor Ohana, she has been slapped in the face with the mackerel of cold hard truth. She needs someone to talk it over with and there is no one available to her. So they have been leveling up Minko to fill that void I bet. Nako would listen but Minko wouldn’t hesitate to tell Ohana what she honestly thinks. Minko is very direct and I believe she is more emotionally mature of the teen girls on the show.
I had to laugh when Satsuki was flirting with Toohru and his reactions. He is such a dork but is becoming a likeable one.
I thought this was another homerun episode. I’m really getting hooked on this anime.
Old 2011-06-19, 20:17   Link #42
MITSUYA

really terrible subs... are translators/subber Chinese or something? I believe they are definitely non-Japanese. They dont know Japanese at all...
Old 2011-06-19, 21:35   Link #43
KyriaL
You are Reading this!

Somehow i can envision that there is a possibility of Ohana's mom deciding to stay back and work at Kissuiso as a cliffhanger ending in one of the later episodes, if it decides to take the typical drama route.
Old 2011-06-19, 21:42   Link #44
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
MM, my friend were thinking "Hey, Minko's acting kinda mellow lately, did she get laid lately?" Sadly, this didn't turn out the case, but I actually thought it was pretty cute to see the two go out even if Tooru's mind is elsewhere. The fact that I even said something like that proves that this episode was pretty damned good.

Well, it did have me laughing. I loved Ohana's plan to kidnap her own mom; it's like something out of the Boondocks.

And glasses girl wants Ohana out huh? Well, Ohana should be like "GTFO, this is my fucking show. I put up with all those idiots in the inn and you're not gonna stop me" Or at least that's where I feel this will end up going.

Some good backstory with Ohana's mom, great conversation with Tooru.

Rating: 9.5/10 Character building, humor, and Minko feeling terrible. Well, actually I didn't even hate her that much here, so we're in good hands. After all those turnovers and dumb plays in the first half, Hana Saku comes back in full force to start off the 2nd half. Hopefully it will stick.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-06-19, 21:46   Link #45
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Yeah, I knew the mom wasn't so bad after all. Like mother like daughter lol.

Actually, like grandma, like mother, like daughter. These people just cant tell outright what they feel, as their methods of communication are so roundabout. I'm already starting to feel bad for Ohana's kids lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
They continue to troll us back and forth on Kou and Tohru. I still think it's Kou or no-one. Or should I say Kou or Kissuisou?
They're stretching Kou out too much for me to think otherwise. Now with Ohana feeling that she doesn't deserve Ko, I see it's either Ohana working so that she gets to the point where she feels she deserves Ko, or she just drowns herself in work ala her mom. Just can't help shake the feeling that this is the direction this show headed, or at least romance wise.

And I changed my mind, no jumping ship for me. Meganekko girl better as mai waiful So KouXOhana all the way!

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2011-06-19, 22:03   Link #46
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
While everyone is focused on the shipping what excited me most about this episode was the flashback featuring Ohana's mom,I'm looking forward to more of those,as well as the show trying to make her likeable after making people hate her guts.
IIn the end it's still the grandmother/mother/daughter relationship that interests me the most.

Also P.A works are going all out on the staff again,Mari Okada handled the script herself again this week and the episode was storyboarded by the director of TM 8.0
Old 2011-06-19, 22:30   Link #47
Austin1
Work=FUN!!!1ONE

I feel like this is the end of Kou and Ohana. There relationship will never be the same. I would be surprised if they even talk anymore and if they do it will be because Ohana initiates the contact. Ohana said basically "I'll talk to you later" and Ko responded with "Good bye." I feel like that was him saying he won't wait anymore. I hope this is the case because Ko deserves someone better than Ohana.
Old 2011-06-19, 22:45   Link #48
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

If Koichi comes back into the story, I'm kind of hoping he moves all the way to Yunosagi as a live-in worker and student someplace. The feeling I got from this episode was that Ohana seemed to despise herself for taking Koichi's support for granted to help her through tough times. I think she's mistaking his supportive behavior (as one might give a friend or loved one) for what she might see as her own 'insensitive' behavior (dragging people around without thinking of their situation).
Old 2011-06-19, 22:47   Link #49
liro
Super Driver

Being minchi is suffering.

I'm not sure what happened. Did Ohana friendzone Ko? Did Ko friendzone Ohana? I hope she will end up with Tohru. but now, she still likes Ko.
Old 2011-06-19, 22:49   Link #50
Austin1
Work=FUN!!!1ONE

The reason I am probably glad this ended is it is very similar to a situation in my life. I had a bestfriend who we always talked/hanged out/etc. Told her I liked her..even though I knew she would say no. We pretty much no longer were bestfriends and really would just talk everyone once in a while to catch up. But I did meet a really nice girl afterwards who I dated for awhile..so in my opinion it was better that I ended that relationship.

Liro my interpretation is that Ohana kinda hinted at him that she doesn't want to rely on him anymore. When she said "later" he responded with "goodbye" which in my opinion means he won't wait anymore for her. She even states that this might mean the end of their relationship.
Old 2011-06-19, 22:54   Link #51
HandofFate

oh Ko...

We didn't get much screen-time of him, but it seems like he matured a lot off screen.
Not really sure about the whole Minko thinking Tohru likes Ohana...I guess there may be some random hints to it, but I never gave much value in them, and thought it was for laughs.

In the end, I think Ohana just really needs a man to keep her energy in life.
Old 2011-06-19, 23:09   Link #52
liro
Super Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1 View Post
Liro my interpretation is that Ohana kinda hinted at him that she doesn't want to rely on him anymore. When she said "later" he responded with "goodbye" which in my opinion means he won't wait anymore for her. She even states that this might mean the end of their relationship.
I see. Thanks for the interpretation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
Not really sure about the whole Minko thinking Tohru likes Ohana...I guess there may be some random hints to it, but I never gave much value in them, and thought it was for laughs.
Never underestimate a woman's intuition.

Old 2011-06-19, 23:22   Link #53
Lessing-love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1 View Post
The reason I am probably glad this ended is it is very similar to a situation in my life. I had a bestfriend who we always talked/hanged out/etc. Told her I liked her..even though I knew she would say no. We pretty much no longer were bestfriends and really would just talk everyone once in a while to catch up. But I did meet a really nice girl afterwards who I dated for awhile..so in my opinion it was better that I ended that relationship.

I relate. I once had a Ko to my Ohana. It turned out badly. People got hurt.

Glasses girl may be the only youngish character who's straight forward/has balls when it comes to romance. I have to admit, I liked the fact she could vocalize her interest to Ko and handle rejection without acting all emo; I never liked Nice Girl/Nice Guy behavior.
Old 2011-06-20, 00:57   Link #54
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Interesting episode. Very interesting. This is prolly the first anime I've seen where romance and family matters aren't mutually exclusive i.e. Ohana returning to Tokyo to her mother means also returning to her love interest(?) or vice-versa. It's very realistic in that sense which is what I like about this show.

First off, and what I believe is the emphasis of this ep, was certainly Ohana's relationship with Ko. As others have mentioned, it doesn't appear that Ohana's given up on him whereas Ko has decided to move on from her. However, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the only one to really blame for that is Ohana considering she's had quite a number of chances to respond to his declaration at the beginning of the series, such as last week's meet-up at the bar, and then this week during the phone call. That being said, I wouldn't brand her as the villain, but more like the jester as she's trying to juggle too many things at the same time. Couple that with the fact Ohana's not too much of an expert in dealing or understanding other people, and this is what you get. I'm glad to see that she's getting better at that, and her next step now should be to learn to take things one at a time rather than rushing into things without thinking about knocking other people over, and she's getting there now.

Even tho this understanding is beginning to dawn on her, this doesn't neccessarily mean she will return to Ko (unless she understands this REALLY fast because I have the gut feeling Ko's gonna go out with the bookstore girl pretty soon, and I wouldn't like for Ohana to be that fast). At this point, if there's going to be any romance, I'd rather seen it happen with a new character. Yes, that means not Tohru, but someone else she could encounter at Kissuiso or perhaps at school. However, to me, romance isn't neccessary for Ohana to show how much she's grown and understood from her mistakes with Ko, particularly when this series isn't about romance, but Ohana becoming of age.

There's also the matter of Satsuki. This episode threw me off completely. I have to agree with Roger Rambo about this series being a trollercoaster. I few might remember how outspoken I was about Satsuki and how much she disgusted me as a character. The series did a 180 this week and showed a completely different side of her. I still hate her for the fact that she's incredibly flighty, leaving her family, eloping and abandoning her daughter in the process. That's nothing to do with not knowing how to deal with people, that's just being selfish to the point of no return. Forget not knowing how to deal with people, that's simply not wanting to deal with people at all. Tho she was going to tell Ohana about her return to Tokyo, I honestly have to wonder what was taking her so long.

However, she does seem to have some caring for Ohana after all when she said how awesome it must be to have a mother who'se always wrong. To me, that says Satsuki does recognize her mistakes with Ohana and that she could perhaps do better with her and with other people as well, much the same way Ohana recognized her deficiencies when it comes to Ko as well as handling people in general. Another good thing I have to say about Satsuki is despite how rotten she can act, she is at least quite honest when she has the chance, considering her article on Kissuiso was her honest opinion (tho opinions alone only go so far when making an argument for or against something, especially when backed up by old memories than present facts).

On the side, I really liked Minchi in this ep, and perhaps the last one. I found her really annoying at the beginning of the series but I'm really starting to feel that she's also a girl I'd find worth going out with (had she been real imho). I felt sorry for her "date" with Tohru and how she was essentially a punching bag for Tohru to vent his frustration (albeit unintentionally). Good thing for him that she's a masochist when it comes to him.

Anyways, good turn-about in this ep, really keen to see more development b/n Ohana and Ko as well as the mom(s).
Old 2011-06-20, 01:10   Link #55
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Episode 12

Ohana mama looks like she will cook up a storm in Kissuiso next episode.
Old 2011-06-20, 02:27   Link #56
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post
Episode 12

Ohana mama looks like she will cook up a storm in Kissuiso next episode.
Just in response to your review, I have to say that I also didn't exactly appreciate how Ko simply gave up on Ohana as well when she had also made it pretty clear that she was understanding her wrongdoings. I think there was more than enough ground for him to give her another chance, particularly in light of glasses girl. As likeable as she is, she's too obsessed over the romance angle. Ohana's got much more variety as a character.
Old 2011-06-20, 02:43   Link #57
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

I liked this episode.

And that's pretty much it. Much of what I want to say will most likely an echo of what you fine folks had already said, and I'm not sure what else to add ...

Oh yeah, Satsuki. I sort of expected that the show would try and make her less horrible last week, but I still wait and see if the reasons are good or not, so I'll hold judgment (and discussion) about her until the next episode.

Um, what else ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
IIn the end it's still the grandmother/mother/daughter relationship that interests me the most.
Yes, that's the particular dynamic of the show that really interests me at this point, the generational conflict between these three. I suspect that the show will conclude with all of the three reaching a point of agreement/harmony between them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Also P.A works are going all out on the staff again,Mari Okada handled the script herself again this week and the episode was storyboarded by the director of TM 8.0
Yeah, the script was sort of weird this episode afterall

Anyway, some nice scenes as well, with Ohana crying (not so nice) against a background of the sunset (nice). Some elements return from past episodes (the whole lights bit) and the lighting in general was very nice looking with a very grounded feel (as expected).

Next episode will apparently be done by Masahiro Ando and the one after that Yasuhiro Irie, from what I heard. Should be great, as long Okada keeps her self under check
Old 2011-06-20, 03:38   Link #58
Ghostfriendly

I think Ohana might have misinterpreted Ko's words this ep. She didn't clearly say what she needed help with, or fully explain wanting Ko to come to the hot springs. When he said 'I won't go' it might have meant 'I'll be there when you sort things out' rather than 'I won't go to the hotsprings'. It might turn out to be that kind of conversation where both parties realise much later they got the wrong idea...
Old 2011-06-20, 05:50   Link #59
Bordix

I'd like to think Tohru was trained in harsh conditions when he was still an apprentice, hence his cruel approach on Minchi. He's using the same methods he grew up with. That and the fact he doesn't know how to handle women which Ohana pointed out. I don't think I can disapprove though since the result was satisfactory, he became a hardworking professional chef, although with a douchy attitude but that's what makes him entertaining.

Good episode. I'm just a tad bit disappointed, I would have loved another interaction between Ko and Ohana face-to-face and not just a phone call.
Old 2011-06-20, 07:25   Link #60
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

Loved it. Just as good as last week's. Minchi shone for the first time ever. Will it be able to keep up this streak once the show's back to Kissuiso?

Oh yeah - Tooru looks a lot better with Minchi than Ohana - with Ohana he looks like a lolicon .... unless he gives her a few more years.

Last edited by ID555; 2011-06-20 at 07:40.
Closed Thread