AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Psycho-Pass

Notices

Old 2013-03-30, 14:40   Link #1521
Kirarakim

Not that this endears me to the ending anymore (because I think I series should stand on its own regardless of a sequel) but some people might like this news:

Quote:
Psycho-Pass director Naoyoshi Shiotani mentioned at a directors panel at Sakura-Con on Saturday that that if the show gets enough support, there could be a second season.
It is also confirmed for home video release in the US by Funimation

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...-video-release
Old 2013-03-30, 14:46   Link #1522
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
To be fair, the ending being the way it is does make more sense if they were hoping for a 2nd season all along.
Old 2013-03-30, 15:21   Link #1523
Reticia

Yay ! Maybe 2nd season !
Old 2013-03-30, 15:56   Link #1524
cyth
Banned

Well, sales look pretty good, so 2nd season is probably already a done deal, but uhh. Would rather have it if they just let it go and Urobuchi moves on to something new.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-30, 18:06   Link #1525
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
Well, sales look pretty good, so 2nd season is probably already a done deal, but uhh. Would rather have it if they just let it go and Urobuchi moves on to something new.
Sales are good but not anything amazing.

Although if the plan was to make a sequel from the beginning perhaps they are good enough.
Old 2013-03-30, 22:18   Link #1526
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Part of the interview in Sakura-Con (ANN):

Quote:
Q: In a recent Japanese manga interview, Motohiro-san and Shiotani-san stated that Psycho-Pass was "anti-moe." What kind of tactics did you employ during production to get that?

Shiotani: So, to really boil it down, and this is an extreme example. This isn't in anyway exactly how we thought of it. To veer from moe we took the heroine and the hero, and to start we DIDN'T have Akane take her clothes off, and had Shinya take all of his clothes off. I don't know statistics, but there are quite a few female viewers.

In a conversation with Motohiro-san, we said we just wanted to pack it with as much testosterone and man-on-man drama, so to speak. But the viewers who are supporting the show, the most seem to be female.

Motohiro: I requested the anti-moe approach. That is because, we as children, as boys, we loved the high-tension, the man-dramas of Gundam and Patlabor. Those kind of dramas with the man-on-man action. So we wanted to create something with that kind of tension and excitement. I think most of you right now, but BL is very popular in Japan. So people who love BL, also got attached to the show. But Shiotani wanted to do anti-BL.

Shiotani: So, I think a lot of the fights that go, are men just going at each other. It really kind of spawned a different kind of...imagination and thinking. That was not really the intent.
Old 2013-03-31, 08:39   Link #1527
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Sales are good but not anything amazing.

Although if the plan was to make a sequel from the beginning perhaps they are good enough.
Well here's another update from sakura-con

Quote:
Update: Psycho-Pass director Naoyoshi Shiotani mentioned at a directors panel at Sakura-Con on Saturday that that if the show gets enough support, there could be a second season.
Wonder how much popularity in north america will affect the decision.
Old 2013-03-31, 09:43   Link #1528
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Well here's another update from sakura-con

Wonder how much popularity in north america will affect the decision.
I posted that a few posts above yours

I think Psycho Pass will do well for Funimation but will it be a huge hit over here (especially if it doesn't get TV exposure) that I am not sure about.
Old 2013-04-02, 01:44   Link #1529
ttdestroy
Hardcore meets Casual

As a fan I'd love a 2nd season, but I feel it's ambiguous end was one of the best parts. I don't need to see the Sibyl system go bad, what would be the point of that storyline?
ttdestroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-02, 07:24   Link #1530
Crontica

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post
Part of the interview in Sakura-Con (ANN):

Quote:
Q: In a recent Japanese manga interview, Motohiro-san and Shiotani-san stated that Psycho-Pass was "anti-moe." What kind of tactics did you employ during production to get that?

Shiotani: So, to really boil it down, and this is an extreme example. This isn't in anyway exactly how we thought of it. To veer from moe we took the heroine and the hero, and to start we DIDN'T have Akane take her clothes off, and had Shinya take all of his clothes off. I don't know statistics, but there are quite a few female viewers.

In a conversation with Motohiro-san, we said we just wanted to pack it with as much testosterone and man-on-man drama, so to speak. But the viewers who are supporting the show, the most seem to be female.

Motohiro: I requested the anti-moe approach. That is because, we as children, as boys, we loved the high-tension, the man-dramas of Gundam and Patlabor. Those kind of dramas with the man-on-man action. So we wanted to create something with that kind of tension and excitement. I think most of you right now, but BL is very popular in Japan. So people who love BL, also got attached to the show. But Shiotani wanted to do anti-BL.

Shiotani: So, I think a lot of the fights that go, are men just going at each other. It really kind of spawned a different kind of...imagination and thinking. That was not really the intent.
... *Blink*
Old 2013-04-02, 10:29   Link #1531
Triple_R
*Author

Crontica, what do you find odd about those interview quotes?

They're right - There's very little fanservice in this show. Hints of potential romance between Akane and Kougami are few and far between. The most we get is her checking out his well-sculpted upper body after he was doing a workout. And there's nothing like that from Kougami's side (We don't see him checking out her in a swimsuit, say).

People act like the mere fact that Akane is reasonably attractive means that the "no moe" stuff was a pack of lies. No, Akane is reasonably attractive because most girls are from a male perspective.

And the interview quotes are also right about how this series focused on testosterone-fueled man-on-man darama. Just look at the way the two Kougami vs. Makishima fights are carefully framed and masterfully delivered. Kougami vs. the Cyborg Hunter is another example of a sort of manly combat that Psycho-Pass clearly takes some pride in.
Old 2013-04-02, 11:35   Link #1532
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
People act like the mere fact that Akane is reasonably attractive means that the "no moe" stuff was a pack of lies. No, Akane is reasonably attractive because most girls are from a male perspective.
Moe isn't only about physical appearance. Even if it were, I definitely think Akane looks more moe than any other character in the show. Shion and Yayoi are attractive. Akane is cute and moe as hell. She has those giant puppy eyes and looks more childish than the other female characters in the show (and look at that haircut). Let's not mention her facials expressions and her interactions with her jellyfish thing and her friends...

She's 100% moe in my book. Of course it's entirely subjective. There were plenty of people who thought Gino was moe, too.

I don't think they really understand what the essence of moe is. They just seem to equate it with fanservice and decided to counter it with manservice, which ended up attracting the fujoshi crowd. Not that it's a problem. They probably ended up selling more discs thanks to that.
Old 2013-04-02, 12:18   Link #1533
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Moe isn't only about physical appearance.
Of course it's not. That's part of my point.

Akane's large eyes is to emphasize her youth. The fact she's a rookie, a newcomer. She looks "more childish" than the other major female characters in the show because she is younger than the other major female characters in the show.

It's not that Psycho-Pass' producers use "moe" too strictly, it's that some of us use it so broadly that its impossible to pin down any more. Some basically use it for "likable character". Well of course they're not going to be "anti-likeable characters".

But they were anti-moe in the sense that...

1) This is a male-dominated cast.

2) There is minimal fanservice.

3) There is no ~Uguuu, Wafu!, girls glomping people, "I-It's not like I-I actually l-like you or anything, Kougami!", or anything of the sort.
Old 2013-04-02, 12:29   Link #1534
Crontica

Quote:
Crontica, what do you find odd about those interview quotes?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If this is indeed the correct translation i can't tell if they're doing this intentionally or they are doing this intentionally, that ain't even subtext anymore mate.
Old 2013-04-02, 12:57   Link #1535
Triple_R
*Author

Many men love watching pro wrestling. Many men love reading Batman vs. The Joker. Many men love the sight of a strong, resilient, alpha male main protagonist go toe-to-toe with a good match in the form of a strong, crafty, alpha male antagonist. Loads of men love this stuff. I myself do.

That's what they're talking about here. They're talking about appealing to male viewers through testosterone-filled conflict between cool alpha males. Think "Fist of the North Star", or, more recently, "Jojo's Bizarre Adventure". They weren't aiming for fujoshis, but they gained some fujoshi fans anyway.
Old 2013-04-02, 13:41   Link #1536
Crontica

Quote:
Many men love watching pro wrestling. Many men love reading Batman vs. The Joker. Many men love the sight of a strong, resilient, alpha male main protagonist go toe-to-toe with a good match in the form of a strong, crafty, alpha male antagonist. Loads of men love this stuff. I myself do.

That's what they're talking about here. They're talking about appealing to male viewers through testosterone-filled conflict between cool alpha males. Think "Fist of the North Star", or, more recently, "Jojo's Bizarre Adventure". They weren't aiming for fujoshis, but they gained some fujoshi fans anyway.
Shouldn't they have called it intense male rivalry instead? I myself love batman versus the joker teamed shows but there haven't been any types of shows like that as of late, heck i rarely found any in the mecha themes back in 2008.
Old 2013-04-02, 13:48   Link #1537
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crontica View Post
Shouldn't they have called it intense male rivalry instead?
I admit, that's a better way of putting it than "man-on-man action".
Old 2013-04-02, 17:59   Link #1538
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
It's not that Psycho-Pass' producers use "moe" too strictly, it's that some of us use it so broadly that its impossible to pin down any more. Some basically use it for "likable character". Well of course they're not going to be "anti-likeable characters".

But they were anti-moe in the sense that...

1) This is a male-dominated cast.

2) There is minimal fanservice.

3) There is no ~Uguuu, Wafu!, girls glomping people, "I-It's not like I-I actually l-like you or anything, Kougami!", or anything of the sort.
But the definition is broad. The example they gave and the fact Akane ended up being very moe (and not just because she was likable) leads me to think their idea of what moe is is warped. They were going for anti-fanservice/ecchi rather than anti-moe. The two can overlap but they're not the same thing at all. I'm sure you can agree Tamayura is a very moe show, yet it has none of that. Similarly, shows that have plenty of fanservice can have no moe characters.

Now, he did say that was an extreme example, so they probably put more thought into this. Still, that example was plain bad. He could have come up with something better.

Going back to Akane for a second, if they really wanted no moe in their show, casting the most moe seiyuu in the business for the role is a puzzling decision (they could have at least told her to use her less moe voice)

I get that they were trying to go against the trend of harem/cute girls doing cute things shows, and they succeeded. However, anti-moe is a strong term. They just made a non moe-oriented show.
Old 2013-04-02, 18:13   Link #1539
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
But the definition is broad. The example they gave and the fact Akane ended up being very moe (and not just because she was likable) leads me to think their idea of what moe is is warped. They were going for anti-fanservice/ecchi rather than anti-moe. The two can overlap but they're not the same thing at all. I'm sure you can agree Tamayura is a very moe show, yet it has none of that. Similarly, shows that have plenty of fanservice can have no moe characters.

Now, he did say that was an extreme example, so they probably put more thought into this. Still, that example was plain bad. He could have come up with something better.

Going back to Akane for a second, if they really wanted no moe in their show, casting the most moe seiyuu in the business for the role is a puzzling decision (they could have at least told her to use her less moe voice)

I get that they were trying to go against the trend of harem/cute girls doing cute things shows, and they succeeded. However, anti-moe is a strong term. They just made a non moe-oriented show.
Right. I largely agree with all of that, especially what I bolded. I think they used "anti-moe" as shorthand for that. Admittedly, it's not the most accurate way of putting it, but I get their meaning. And yes, I think they also wanted to get some 'good controversy' out of it.
Old 2013-04-03, 09:52   Link #1540
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
I admit, that's a better way of putting it than "man-on-man action".
But that wouldn't have been nearly as funny sounding!

I dunno. Maybe they overstated this being an anti-moe show, but it's not exactly a moe show IMHO.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, psychological, science fiction, thriller