AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-03-24, 04:32   Link #21
Ilpalazzo-sama

So is this some sort of Azumanga and School Rumble mix with more craziness and with ecchi?
Ilpalazzo-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-24, 04:45   Link #22
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilpalazzo-sama
So is this some sort of Azumanga and School Rumble mix with more craziness and with ecchi?
No. The idea for Joshi Kousei is that it is based on the way girls actually act in an all girl's school when there are no men around. Hint: expect tampon jokes and raunchy behavior.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-24, 05:00   Link #23
Ilpalazzo-sama

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
No. The idea for Joshi Kousei is that it is based on the way girls actually act in an all girl's school when there are no men around. Hint: expect tampon jokes and raunchy behavior.
I see...thanks for the explanation.
Old 2006-03-24, 05:35   Link #24
Simon
気持ち悪い

ANN's summary of the manga is a pretty good intro:

Quote:
Eriko, along with pals Yuma and Ayano, tests into an exclusive all-girls high school. Her dream of attending a school full of beautiful, clean, and classy role-model girls is soon shattered, as the reality of an all-girl school sets in. Rumor goes, with an absence boys in the school, an atmosphere of laxness sets in, slowly eroding the girls' regard for culture and become a creature far scarier than boys.
When you consider that it's set in a school called "Mountain Blossom Girls' College", you start to get an idea of how Oshima-san's sense of humour works

(Also, the manga subtitle Baka Gundan roughly translates as "Idiot Brigade".)

And while I'm posting, Futabasha have released more details about the fan book that's out next week.

Last edited by Simon; 2006-03-24 at 20:24. Reason: Translation fix. Baka!
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-24, 05:56   Link #25
NeoSam

Thanks Simon for the info about the Joshi Kousei fan book:

I mentioned it in the first post (I'll be replacing it with a better pic later on).
Old 2006-03-24, 16:56   Link #26
DaFool
Resident devil

Perhaps the difference is that it's not a Catholic all-girls school. I live not too far from such a prestigious school, the same school that my mother had went to. The real life version (complete with girl-girl crushes, intrigues) is much closer to Marimite, though less light-hearted. But as far as refinement and class goes, the strict nuns made sure the girls sleep early, wake up early, and eat with knife / fork / napkin / holding a teacup delicately etc.

So does this manga really mirror the author's experience?
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-30, 21:36   Link #27
NeoSam

The bonus episode 0 has been fansubbed can't wait to watch this
Old 2006-03-31, 00:18   Link #28
DrewGSR

Bleh, too many panty shots... I'm ok with some here and there but its like wow. they are liek forcing it in. Anyways from the ep 0, it can have potential to be funny but hopefully the panty shots and stuff will cut down in the series.
DrewGSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-31, 02:19   Link #29
paTKany
Aasu Ⅷ

Send a message via MSN to paTKany
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewGSR
Bleh, too many panty shots...
Expect more. Especially if Genco/Geneon include the famous (or infamous?) "sex diet" manga chapter into the anime as well. (and I hope they'll do it... )
paTKany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-31, 02:47   Link #30
gumbaloom
Live-eviL Staffer

Send a message via AIM to gumbaloom Send a message via Yahoo to gumbaloom
Care to give a spoiler tag about this "sex diet" chapter?

-gumbaloom
gumbaloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-31, 04:26   Link #31
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Just watched episode 0. Holy crap, that was reeaaaally bad... I loved it.

This looks like it's going to be my "guilty pleasure" anime for this season.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-31, 08:20   Link #32
Ilpalazzo-sama

Gee. Panties. Panties. Oh, and panties. Way too much panties. Fanservice is okay for me until a certain point but this goes way, way too far. I could not even finish episode 0.
Old 2006-03-31, 12:10   Link #33
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

I third the "too many panties to watch". I usually don't like fanservice, I can live with it but this was a bit much, so I'll probably not be watching the show.

On the other hand I managed to finish ep 0. It will probably be fun for those who like fanservice and ecchiness in every turn I suppose.

Of course, then some will ask, how the hell do I put up with Koi Koi 7? Well... who knows. Shinsen made me do it, and one translator's idiotic reason for dropping it, I suppose

But seriously, I don't think KK7 had so much fanservice in so little time, with so much screentime for each shot. It was panties overload.
Old 2006-03-31, 15:07   Link #34
Furudanuki

I'm probably going to give this one a pass as well. Too many new series are starting up for me to burn up viewing time on something this marginal. As noted by others, there was a LOT of fanservice. That's not always a horrible thing in and of itself, but in this case the fanservice wasn't even especially interesting: if you are going to do ecchi, at least do it well. I will confess that in between all of the panty shots there was some funny material in episode 0, but the problem is that almost all of the humor was of the "funny once" variety. I can see this getting stale very quickly.
Furudanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-31, 15:22   Link #35
Scribble
Sloth

Send a message via MSN to Scribble
I was kind of disappointed by the whole panty shot fiasco, but I don't think I'll be putting it in the same category as, say, MOE's anime or Girls Bravo, since this has potential to be quite funny.

I just don't like the whole forced fanservice part >_>
Scribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-31, 16:01   Link #36
kari-no-sugata

I'd be surprised if the series itself is as much a "panty carnival" as "ep 0". But I haven't seen the manga (and poking around a bit, can't find it online either - raw would be fine) so I don't know how it compares. I think it has a lot of potential though.
kari-no-sugata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-31, 16:07   Link #37
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Well it had its nice moments but if you're doing a promo or something, or an introductory episode, you're supposed to show what the anime is about. Well, if the spirit of this show is fanservice/ecchi until you puke, I'll pass But that's me not liking this type of show, it doesn't mean the show is bad for people who watch series of this genre.
Old 2006-03-31, 16:39   Link #38
Xess
Go Suzuka!

Haha, ecchi/fanservice until you puke is one the reasons we're doing this show. But on a more serious note, the manga doesn't appear to have very many panty shots. It's just more about life in an all girls' school, the 'beneath the beneath' stuff like what that promo on the website says and how the girls torture the male teachers and such. I'm quite it's not going to be a girl's bravo kinda show though.
Xess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-31, 16:48   Link #39
Kensuke

Hah, I will give this two or three episodes, "ep. 0" make me feel dirty, it was funny enough so I will continue watching, so far.

I don't mind fanservice, I just hope that there will be more than just that in the actual series.
Kensuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-31, 18:32   Link #40
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xess
Haha, ecchi/fanservice until you puke is one the reasons we're doing this show. But on a more serious note, the manga doesn't appear to have very many panty shots.
Yeah, I agree that ep 0 had way too much sabisu, but the manga is much, much better (and funnier). I'd encourage people to give the anime a chance despite what they've seen so far - if it can stick closer to the manga's sense of humour then it has a lot of potential. Hopefully the promo is just low-brow marketing...

Tags
comedy, seinen