AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-06-19, 03:15   Link #1241
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Speaking of 9 gates, that would make for a crazy Naruto-Saki crossover fanfic.

*gets shot*
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-19, 06:01   Link #1242
scr
my sides are in orbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
Speaking of 9 gates, that would make for a crazy Naruto-Saki crossover fanfic.

*gets shot*
*shots Quarkboy*

btw, i watched some Akagi last night. it's... sort of good.

the narrator in Akagi keep on explaining this and that about a lot of things (the seiyuu must have had the highest pay). specifically, the hands of each participants, which participant has advantage, what puts the titular character in pinch, why his comeback in the next scene is awesome, etc, and so on. i'm not wishing for something like that to be in Saki, but it's quite helpful.
If there's a Final Fantasy game that I must put my personal seal of disapproval on, it's Crisis Core. I mean, just look at how this Genesis Rhapsodos dude is raping the canon. It's bad. As in, fanfiction bad.
scr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-19, 08:09   Link #1243
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

^
Really ? Then I think that I can use it to learn things about mahjong ;p

lol, looking at both Miyanaga's sister. . I assumed that every member of Miyanaga family is an awesome mahjong player. Heck, maybe even Saki's father is a pretty skillful player himself, but still lose compared to Saki and Teru

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-19, 08:18   Link #1244
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyvedelta View Post
^
Really ? Then I think that I can use it to learn things about mahjong ;p

lol, looking at both Miyanaga's sister. . I assumed that every member of Miyanaga family is an awesome mahjong player. Heck, maybe even Saki's father is a pretty skillful player himself, but still lose compared to Saki and Teru
Obviously the true person to fear is the mother. We know almost nothing about her at all, and that scares the crap out of me.

The dad at least seemed like a mellow enough fellow. But the mom is probably like the Tiger Woods of mahjong or something (we just never had a chance to mention her yet).
Sam Pinansky
Old 2009-06-19, 10:47   Link #1245
Willen
Aoba Tsukishima

Quote:
Obviously the true person to fear is the mother. We know almost nothing about her at all, and that scares the crap out of me.

The dad at least seemed like a mellow enough fellow. But the mom is probably like the Tiger Woods of mahjong or something (we just never had a chance to mention her yet).
If it's like many other anime, the mother is the one you'd probably regret the most crossing. Even if she doesn't have the mad skills. Examples: Chichi (DBZ), Nodoka Saotome (Ranma 1/2), Makiko Onimaru (Muteki Kanban Musume).
Willen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-19, 11:01   Link #1246
tjalorak
Fax Caelestis

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr View Post
*shots Quarkboy*

btw, i watched some Akagi last night. it's... sort of good.

the narrator in Akagi keep on explaining this and that about a lot of things (the seiyuu must have had the highest pay). specifically, the hands of each participants, which participant has advantage, what puts the titular character in pinch, why his comeback in the next scene is awesome, etc, and so on. i'm not wishing for something like that to be in Saki, but it's quite helpful.
The thing that bugs me about Akagi is the animation style or drawing ... That nose on him is very scary to me.
Old 2009-06-21, 02:04   Link #1247
tjalorak
Fax Caelestis

If anyone is following the manga scanslations, Null released ch. 16-18 now, which brings us up to right before Hisa's match.

Some of the translations have been interesting. Koromo is referred to as the "demon of the nationals" by the security guard. Guess she did make a name for herself there ...
Old 2009-06-21, 13:11   Link #1248
Vash002
Ready to Boast

Haha oh wow, DFLL.

Spoiler for Ep 12:

Magical Mahjong Girl Nodoka next week.
Also, damn you GONZO, it was a very sexy part with Touka...
Vash002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-21, 15:27   Link #1249
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Gonzo...

Spoiler for ep12:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-21, 20:18   Link #1250
scr
my sides are in orbit

Cool

Spoiler for eps 12:

DFLL, indeed
If there's a Final Fantasy game that I must put my personal seal of disapproval on, it's Crisis Core. I mean, just look at how this Genesis Rhapsodos dude is raping the canon. It's bad. As in, fanfiction bad.
scr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-21, 21:05   Link #1251
Farplaner

Wow, what a view the audience got right before Nodoka's match....lol
Farplaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-21, 23:23   Link #1252
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr View Post
What's with the overall spike in the quality of moving animation? Because it's the last episode (of this cour)?
Actually, that's quite likely exactly why. Even if shows are slated for 2 or more cours, the funding and budgeting might well have been split up into each half specifically.

In Japan (like in the US government), if you have a certain budget and you DON'T spend it all before the next quarter, the money doesn't carry over to the next, but is instead considered "wasted" and the next quarter's budget is actually lowered.

(I know this all too well from Japanese government research grants)

So they probably blew whatever leftover cash they had on highering some wannabe ghibli in-betweener. At least the good news about it is that it implies the show is being made within its budget and they aren't having to cut corners instead.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2009-06-22, 02:37   Link #1253
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Wow so many chances to win on that bamboo seven but it looks like Hisa threw the other two off from discarding it to keep Hajime from getting it.

Aside from that we also get to see more sides to Koromo and indeed it's not hard to see why she must be pretty lonely and looking for a friend. It seems the thing with her is that if you are treated like a demon you will eventually start wanting to play the part if it's going to be the only thing that is going to get you some attention and people to play with, which is what happened with Hajime's meeting with her. In an case she's definitely socially awkward.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-22, 03:42   Link #1254
tjalorak
Fax Caelestis

Someone on deviantart did this ... but LOL. Priorities. :P

http://con2020tran.deviantart.com/ar...Girl-126429097

Also, found some nice pencil and colored version of Hisa (who is awesome!):

http://gofu-web.deviantart.com/art/Takei-Hisa-126204337

http://pattryk.deviantart.com/art/Ta...sion-126382267
Old 2009-06-22, 06:19   Link #1255
bluezodiac

WOW! Hisa and Mihoko moments! One of those scenes I love indeed!
Can't wait to see more from them.
I agree with scr that Mihoko x Hisa can make a good shoujo romance material.
And also Nodoka's finally up. (Can't wait to see her battle with her mysterious opponents)
And I was surprised by the animation in this episode. (Especially during Touka x Hajime scene and Saki running towards Nodoka to cheer her up)

Looking forward to the future episodes.
I wish I could catch up with the manga though...
bluezodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-22, 10:54   Link #1256
M.Marangio

Ah, gofu recently drew Nodoka and Saki (Yuuki was already posted on http://gofu-web.deviantart.com/ or http://gofu.net-comic.com/ )

And about Hisa:

Last edited by M.Marangio; 2009-06-22 at 10:59. Reason: added links
M.Marangio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-22, 13:10   Link #1257
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I'd hoped it'd go a little better for Koromo, but oh, well. Maybe she'll get other chances.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-22, 16:10   Link #1258
thirdlc

Quote:
Actually, that's quite likely exactly why. Even if shows are slated for 2 or more cours, the funding and budgeting might well have been split up into each half specifically.

In Japan (like in the US government), if you have a certain budget and you DON'T spend it all before the next quarter, the money doesn't carry over to the next, but is instead considered "wasted" and the next quarter's budget is actually lowered.

(I know this all too well from Japanese government research grants)

So they probably blew whatever leftover cash they had on highering some wannabe ghibli in-betweener. At least the good news about it is that it implies the show is being made within its budget and they aren't having to cut corners instead.
Close. Only with putting in much budget, animation can just gets smoother. If you want quality, you have to get talented KEY animators to take part in the episode.And It's they that instruct inbetweeners on how to fill a gap between key frames: what timing and how many inbetween frames is needed, etc. You can forget inbetweeners unless you want to be an animator.

The overall spike in the quality of moving animation? In this ep, hadn't Tanaka Hiroki, an animator who handled Saki jumping down, gone way too far?
thirdlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-23, 02:49   Link #1259
FateAnomaly

Can't wait to see Touka in action. What kind of skills does she have to justify her confidence i wonder.

Anyway, i always though Mihoko close her eyes to hide her 'power". But it seems that she is just embarassed by her mismatched eyes.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-23, 03:42   Link #1260
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
Can't wait to see Touka in action. What kind of skills does she have to justify her confidence i wonder.

Anyway, i always though Mihoko close her eyes to hide her 'power". But it seems that she is just embarassed by her mismatched eyes.
I find it strange logic that someone thinks: "Oh no! My eye color is mismatched, everyone will thing I'm a freak! I'll just keep one eye shut all the time, then!"
Sam Pinansky

Tags
competition, mahjong, seinen