AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

Old 2009-03-26, 12:57   Link #101
Sephiroth_760
Anime is lifestyle

Send a message via MSN to Sephiroth_760
thanks

toradora the light novel has only 10 volumes right?

ah, so they left out a few points
because I heard there are things happening in the light novel which I haven't seen in the anime
Sephiroth_760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-26, 13:02   Link #102
Yukinokesshou
ドジ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Teg View Post
Perhaps in this forum, but certainly not in Japan

Chibi Maruko-chan - January 7, 1990 – September 27, 1992 - 142 episodes
Chibi Maruko-chan 2 - January 08, 1995 – ongoing - 704 episodes

The second series has an average rating of 14% (Fuji TV 6pm to 6:30pm)
Yeah, Chibi Maruko-chan is really popular not only in Japan but all across East Asia. It's one of the things I grew up on... watching it with Mum after school, joking about how Maruko-chan's grandfather is similar to mine, even learning origami from a Chibi Maruko-chan-branded book. Ah, good memories, good memories... Maruko-chan, Doraemon and Totoro shaped my childhood

About Taiga being part-Caucasian, her mother looked distinctly non-Japanese in episode 24. Her father's apperance also seems to fit that of the stereotypical western businessman in anime. Otherwise, there are no references in the anime to Taiga's "foreignness", but the novel seems to be more suggestive of that?

I don't think going to a Catholic school carries any connotations of "foreignness". Buddhist, Taoist and atheist parents in Hong Kong send their children to Catholic schools simply because many of them are good schools. I went to one too and mouthed "Thank you for our daily bread, thank you for the fish we eat, blah blah blah, Amen..." whilst thinking "all of this is a load of b**crap".

Besides, a lot of the Japanese exchange students at my university come from Catholic schools (and attend Sophia/Jouchi University back at home), but the way they look, act, eat and think is 100% Japanese.

Last edited by Yukinokesshou; 2009-03-26 at 14:30.
Yukinokesshou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-28, 23:31   Link #103
radioIzzy
stuck in a harem genre
*Artist

The light novel of Toradora has ended, but what is the Toradora Spin-off about? Is it a continuation after the first Toradora?
radioIzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 14:52   Link #104
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth_760 View Post
thanks

toradora the light novel has only 10 volumes right?

ah, so they left out a few points
because I heard there are things happening in the light novel which I haven't seen in the anime
You say "only 10 volumes" like 10 volumes of text is a small thing -- I don't even want to think how many volumes of manga that would translate to (20? 30? 40?).
Compressing 10 volumes into twenty-five 25-minute anime episodes required massive slicing and deletion of hundreds of story points. Given that, it is quite remarkable that the anime hangs together as well as it does - and some of the credit has to go to the strength of the underlying storyline.

The spin-off novel is more of a side-story: "stuff that goes on offscreen from the main novel" focusing on two characters barely noticed in the main series One of them is Sumire's younger sister Sakura. Main characters do make cameo appearances or are referred to.
Here's a synopsis and review (many spoilers, eh?): http://that.animeblogger.net/2008/10...-of-happiness/

Many other questions can be answered by consulting the Wiki on Toradora!
Old 2009-05-28, 00:15   Link #105
finrodess

what is in the letter that taiga left for ryuuji when she left (in the last episode)? is it possible to translate it or is it unreadable even for poeple who know japanese?
finrodess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-28, 07:04   Link #106
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

There's discussion about the letter in the Episode 25 thread starting at page 5.
CaptGloval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-02, 23:37   Link #107
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Quick question, how many specials did Toradora had?
Old 2009-06-03, 16:20   Link #108
Taiga Aisaka

I was wondering... what are the differences in Taiga's personality and mannerisms between the anime and the light novel.
Taiga Aisaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-03, 16:25   Link #109
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiga Aisaka View Post
I was wondering... what are the differences in Taiga's personality and mannerisms between the anime and the light novel.
She's pretty much the exact same.

She acts a lot cuter earlier on though.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-03, 16:54   Link #110
Taiga Aisaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
She's pretty much the exact same.

She acts a lot cuter earlier on though.
I've only read the first few chapters of the light novel and I noticed she didn't actually punch him when he bumps into her. It was her sheer presence that knocked him off his feet. I was wondering if she's really not as physically violent, because when I scanned various chapters I saw her being more verbally nasty than physical.
Old 2009-06-03, 17:41   Link #111
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiga Aisaka View Post
I've only read the first few chapters of the light novel and I noticed she didn't actually punch him when he bumps into her. It was her sheer presence that knocked him off his feet. I was wondering if she's really not as physically violent, because when I scanned various chapters I saw her being more verbally nasty than physical.
She is slightly less violent, yeah.

She still tries to kill him with the wooden katana though.
Old 2009-06-03, 18:58   Link #112
typhonsentra

Funny, I found her to be harsher in the novels. One of the best examples was the first half of volume 4, they cut out all her physicals assaults on Ryuuji in the anime version.
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-03, 19:15   Link #113
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
Funny, I found her to be harsher in the novels. One of the best examples was the first half of volume 4, they cut out all her physicals assaults on Ryuuji in the anime version.
Harsher in some parts, softer in others.
Old 2009-06-04, 14:46   Link #114
Taiga Aisaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
I didn't get to that part, I knew about the bokken part but not anything else. I did see her verbally rip him a new one though...

What did she do in that?

Oh and also, Minori seems awfully attached to Taiga in the anime..is she just as attached or even moreso attached to her in the novels?

Last edited by Taiga Aisaka; 2009-06-05 at 18:57.
Old 2009-07-02, 05:35   Link #115
kamehameha

a couple questions..

is there going to be a season 2?

did kawashimi also like/love ryujii because he recognized her as a kid, instead of an adult?

it would've been fun to see the teacher finally get a guy, haha..or to see a solution to haruto's sidekick and the girl he liked/fought with.

was ryujiis dad dead, or did he just run away?
kamehameha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-02, 12:42   Link #116
KitsuneNineTails
赤い狐

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamehameha View Post
a couple questions..

is there going to be a season 2?

did kawashimi also like/love ryujii because he recognized her as a kid, instead of an adult?

it would've been fun to see the teacher finally get a guy, haha..or to see a solution to haruto's sidekick and the girl he liked/fought with.

was ryujiis dad dead, or did he just run away?
* I don't know about a season 2, but it would seem awkward since the first season wrapped everything up so well.

* Ami loved all her friends in her own way, I'm sure, and she definitely had some feelings for Ryuuji from the various hints. She definitely is very lonely at various points in the series, because people never get to see her real self, although Ryuuji saw through her from the beginning, as he said at the end. So, yes, I'm sure that meant a lot to her, to actually have someone who genuinely liked her real self.

* Is there a single female anime teacher anywhere that actually has a stable relationship? Azumanga, Toradora, K-On, Lucky Star, ... all the female teachers that get real roles are in "Christmas Cake" territory and realize it.

* Noto and Kihara are shown pretty much getting together after their big fight. Or at least heading in that general direction.

* I think they implied (in the anime at least) that he just ditched them and returned to his life of a yakuza, although he could very well have died already, considering the relative "safety" of such a profession.
KitsuneNineTails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-02, 14:21   Link #117
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitsuneNineTails View Post
* I think they implied (in the anime at least) that he just ditched them and returned to his life of a yakuza, although he could very well have died already, considering the relative "safety" of such a profession.
Didn't Yasuko say at one point that Ryuuji's dad was in heaven or something? Well it mighta been a combination of ditching and dying... though Yasuko doesn't appear to have any hard feelings towards him.
Old 2009-07-04, 11:22   Link #118
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

In the anime, at the beginning Yasuko has been telling Ryuuji that his dad is dead, but at the end she admits to him that his dad actually just ditched them. I think in the light novel, the dad has been dead all throughout.
CaptGloval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-12, 18:52   Link #119
MechaUshio
Maximum Risky

Send a message via MSN to MechaUshio
Yoooo guys, just one question. Where can one buy DVDs? i can't find it anywhere. Please and thanks!
MechaUshio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-13, 02:21   Link #120
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaUshio View Post
Yoooo guys, just one question. Where can one buy DVDs? i can't find it anywhere. Please and thanks!
Not all of the 8 DVDs have been released yet but they can be found at places like cdJapan. Search for "tora dora" under "video".

These are the Japanese releses of course, if you mean where can you find Toradora with English subs or dubs then you can't, it hasn't yet been licensed.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
q&a