Notices

View Poll Results: Which way to go?
Just try to like Americanized version and buy that. 23 38.98%
Work hard to learn Japanese and then buy the original manga. 36 61.02%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-05-15, 13:18   Link #21
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I know one that should learn Japanese to read all the tech manuals and background materials he has collected in the last 40 years.
Old 2012-05-15, 15:26   Link #22
Ryuudou

Definitely the Japanese one. It loses the original "touch" when it's localized to the point of names being changed.
Ryuudou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-15, 15:39   Link #23
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I vote for option one.

With what I do with anime, learning Japanese would incredibly help outside of manga. But alas I don't think I can take on another language...
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-15, 15:50   Link #24
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
I would also vote for option 1.

But while doing so I would continue studying Japanese so that I could eventually read the material in the original language. As you are studying the language you could look at the source material and compare it to existing Americanized products - to see how other people have successfully and unsuccessfully labored in the art (and it really is an art btw) of translation can sometimes be helpful in learning a new language.
Old 2012-05-15, 16:56   Link #25
starlol

I can see myself being really broke if i were to buy the japanese version. There's a lot more titles available which also means harder to resist.
You will probably also end up buying gal games and light novels...

For me, I can read Chinese and I'm satisfied with the titles available. I'm not a collector but the less than 20 lightnovel/manga I bought will be a complete waste if I were to understand japanese.
Old 2012-05-15, 17:32   Link #26
Qikz

I'm lucky in the fact I started learning Japanese before I was into Anime and Manga three years ago, so I've kind of been able to help my reading with manga/games which is great.

You shouldn't learn a language unless you enjoy it, infact, if you don't enjoy it you probably won't remember a thing.

in relation to the topic though, read in Japanese as even though sometimes it's still hard to understand certain words (need to look them up, or sometimes try and work out what it is judging by the sentances/kanji). I just prefer that to translations. Don't even get me started on dubs, dubs of anything from any language to another are just so terrible :/

I don't use subs anymore, but I don't so much mind them as they're just translating it in text. Losing the original vocals just annoys me.
Qikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-15, 23:51   Link #27
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I haven't encountered any manga that so localized that it Americanized the names. I'd be on the team that hates that sort of thing.

I started learning Japanese for a lot of reasons -- but I collect the original Japanese manga because I know they'll FINISH the damn thing. I don't have that certainty with english translation book publishers. I have two major english translation series on my self that are and will remain incomplete because the incompetent publishers couldn't manage or didn't have a working business plan.

Last edited by Vexx; 2012-05-16 at 03:40.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-15, 23:58   Link #28
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Localization of that sort I thought had gone out of style.

Though they do localize accents sometimes. Sometimes differently from one publisher to the next (recalling that Azumanga Daioh's manga translation placed Osaka's accent as Brooklyn while the anime placed it as Dixie/Texan, which I liked better as the slow drawl fit her personality and normal Japanese speech pattern better.
Old 2012-05-16, 03:12   Link #29
mystogan
The Lost Lamb

i'll go with the first option and read the english translated mangas, because i really don't have time to learn a whole different language just to read the mangas which are already available in english and there are also many series to watch and read

and i don't think it makes much difference whether you read the mangas in japanese or english as long as it delivers the same meaning and experience
Old 2012-05-16, 04:18   Link #30
tyson123g
Kaizoku-ō Ni Ore Wa Naru

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlol View Post
I can see myself being really broke if i were to buy the japanese version. There's a lot more titles available which also means harder to resist.
You will probably also end up buying gal games and light novels...

For me, I can read Chinese and I'm satisfied with the titles available. I'm not a collector but the less than 20 lightnovel/manga I bought will be a complete waste if I were to understand japanese.
I can understand what you mean..

I did start Japanese because I liked the language itself. And if I were to complete learning Japanese one day, buying other things will become harder to resist as the time would go by. Right now, I atleast dare to choose only those titles, which I really liked. But if I were to get the grasp of reading japanese at least of the manga/light novel level, I would definitely start wanting to buy other titles as well. And I am not sure, how I feel about that.

And as someone pointed out, with english publishers, there is always that one fear that they would not complete the series and stop in mid - between and this will really ruin things for people who were waiting. Like what happened with TokyoPop, since it went down, it also went down with some of my favorite titles, which luckily I hadn't started to buy but was on verge of doing that.

What you said about the manga/light novel going to waste, I did not understand. Why would something you bought, go to waste? You can always continue from where the english versions have ended and buy the remaining in japanese, right? Or would that look weird on shelves at home?
Old 2012-05-16, 11:35   Link #31
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Just a note, original japanese manga with its fine paper and high resolution ink and quality jackets run 500-800 yen (<$10). Even after markup for shipping, this is still often cheaper than the english language equivalent (I've seen the EL equivalent manga priced $11.99-$12.99) which often uses cheapest grade crap paper and smudges the artwork.
Old 2012-05-16, 19:47   Link #32
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Just a note, original japanese manga with its fine paper and high resolution ink and quality jackets run 500-800 yen (<$10).
Shoujo ones are cheaper though: 380-400 yen.
Old 2012-05-16, 20:40   Link #33
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

I actually learnt Japanese from light novels and eroge and I'm always of the view that language should never be a barrier to what you want to enjoy.

If by all means learning the language enables you to do what you want, then go ahead.

Eventually, what started as a means to a hobby becomes a key for many other things on the wider scale since language has not just one use.

About costs....I dunno about your place, but here, Japanese original manga can cost around 5 bucks less than US ones.
Old 2012-05-16, 22:38   Link #34
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

I'd say work hard and learn Japanese.
Though I never really worked hard to learn it. But from a bystander's side, I'd say learn it. If not for reading manga, but to learn a new language that could help you in life.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-18, 06:35   Link #35
tyson123g
Kaizoku-ō Ni Ore Wa Naru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
About costs....I dunno about your place, but here, Japanese original manga can cost around 5 bucks less than US ones.
Well, if I buy in bulk, then probably the total cost is lesser.
Old 2012-05-18, 11:37   Link #36
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

That may be true....

I think official English ones cost more due to translation fees? And of course attempts to jack up prices....
Old 2012-05-18, 17:02   Link #37
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Fansubs and scans are the choice you missed and the most popular, even if one knows some japanese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
That may be true....

I think official English ones cost more due to translation fees? And of course attempts to jack up prices....
More like sustain a doomed business model. A distributor pays a bloated network of unproductive employees in order to offer the same service half a dozen teenagers do on their free time for a couple of decades already.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-18, 21:49   Link #38
Dawnstorm

Here's what I might do if I were actually learning Japanese:

Buy the original, then read a scanlation, and whenever I feel like it compare and see what they did (as well as I can). This would help me get used to kanji and the kanas in a fun way and might also further my learning. It's partly how I learnt English (only with books).
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-19, 16:21   Link #39
Pink Cow
This is my title.

I must have been lucky with all the manga I bought, because they weren't Americanized and weren't as bad as you guys say. Because of that experience, I'd rather buy the English. I may be self-studying the language but it will take me years to be able to reach that point where I'm able to read and understand a manga book.

自由を愛しちゃう女の子だけ
Instagram
Pink Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-19, 16:31   Link #40
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
I'm sure learning to speak and understand Japanese is more "rewarding" than waiting for it to come in English. Like in school and to this day, before an episode got subbed I would watch it raw and attempt to guess right on the words the characters are saying, then check the subbed version to see what I got right and wrong. Normally I'm good at guessing what characters will say or act because of the scenery and actions that are shown.

I'm currently learning the language, it's hard but it's also fun, I'm still need to get out of procrastination phase and actually read the book a friend bought for me.

So in speaking, yes, I think learning the language and buying the original content is better considering that Japan have so many things that I'm interested in and North America I'm sure will never get them. Maybe I'm wrong and they will, but for now my views are slightly pessimistic.

Those are my honest thoughts...for now.

Last edited by Kirito; 2012-05-22 at 14:18.
Kirito is offline   Reply With Quote