Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-02-16, 20:43   Link #241
Loikol
slightly confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebat
Finshed watching ep 16... all of them shouting out at the sea in the end was cheesy, I had to turn to volume down since it was really annoying! Really I don't think I'd ever find myself using up energy to cry out "Mum and Dad" like a nutter!
If you were in such a situation at that age, you would have done the same. And shouting out your concerns, fears, and such things is a good way of relieving such tensions. I didn’t think it was cheesy at all, and I do think it was well acted too. If you stop and think about their situation, such a thing could be really emotional. If this was a more realistic anime, that scene would’ve had more impact.
Loikol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-16, 21:00   Link #242
Firebat
I Love Anime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loikol
If you were in such a situation at that age, you would have done the same. And shouting out your concerns, fears, and such things is a good way of relieving such tensions. I didn’t think it was cheesy at all, and I do think it was well acted too. If you stop and think about their situation, such a thing could be really emotional. If this was a more realistic anime, that scene would’ve had more impact.
No maybe I worded it badly, what I mean is the hearing a whole load of high piched kids is not easy on the ears? Surely you must have found that part a bit annoying.
Firebat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-16, 21:17   Link #243
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

I think the shouting part is quite well done... I like it anyway... and I don't find it high-pitched or anything unbearable...
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-16, 21:58   Link #244
AkihaTohno
Head of the Tohno Family

Send a message via ICQ to AkihaTohno Send a message via AIM to AkihaTohno
Does anyone know what happened to Luna's coat? And Kaoru's vest?

They probably just took it off... but you'd think they'd use them for other things.
AkihaTohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-16, 22:26   Link #245
Kay Hearts
Cute ahiru ^v^ *quack*

I liked this ep much more than last two. By far is one of my fave. I didn´t find it annoying, but perhaps is also a cultural thing. I´m actually a little bit older (just a little xD) than the characters in the series and I would actually do te same if I was in a place I don´t know and don´t know how to go back to the people I know.
Kay Hearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-16, 22:48   Link #246
lavalyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Hearts
I liked this ep much more than last two. By far is one of my fave. I didn´t find it annoying, but perhaps is also a cultural thing. I´m actually a little bit older (just a little xD) than the characters in the series and I would actually do te same if I was in a place I don´t know and don´t know how to go back to the people I know.
Go watch Battle Royale for a disturbing other view of how to go about it

(If there are any comments or suggestions regarding the quality or other things controllable by the fansub group, PM me)

Oh, and Howard still has to die. He may die a faster more merciful death. But still die. I suggest tying him up to a tree and leaving him as a sacrifice to whatever animal happens to be hungry at the time.
lavalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-16, 23:13   Link #247
rcxAsh
Do you Gentoo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavalyn

(If there are any comments or suggestions regarding the quality or other things controllable by the fansub group, PM me)

Oh, and Howard still has to die. He may die a faster more merciful death. But still die. I suggest tying him up to a tree and leaving him as a sacrifice to whatever animal happens to be hungry at the time.
Battle Royale.. my friend was telling me about that when I was telling him about Uninhabited Planet Survive. From what he said, it sounds very disturbing. However, is it licensed or something? I can't find an entry for it on AnimeNfo.com or AniDB.net. Though, I don't know if I'd want to watch it. It sounds... yah... disturbing.

But yah.. my thoughts regarding the big yelling scene, I have two ways of looking at it. 1), Howard was trying to make Shingo feel better by letting him know that he actually felt the same way.. and then the rest of them followed to make them feel better. 2), it's one of those rhetorical cries of desparation. I'm not sure how to describe what I mean.. can't think of any thing to compare it too.

And whoa...
Spoiler:

Oh and, I have a question about the We Suck fansubs. Whenever Luna hears the voice, the subs are written mirrored (same thing happened in what I wrote above in the spoiler). Also, especially in the spoiler, the characters mentioned that they did not understand what was said. So, my question is, is the actual Japanese spoken backwards during that point? Or is it just muffled and difficult to make out?

*sigh*, now I have to wait another week... lol
rcxAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-16, 23:18   Link #248
lavalyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcxAsh
Battle Royale.. my friend was telling me about that when I was telling him about Uninhabited Planet Survive. From what he said, it sounds very disturbing. However, is it licensed or something? I can't find an entry for it on AnimeNfo.com or AniDB.net. Though, I don't know if I'd want to watch it. It sounds... yah... disturbing.
It's a movie. Not licensed in North America. Nor will it for a while. It's rather... disturbing. And violent. We have the same actress in Kill Bill
Spoiler:
Go to your local movie importer... or through YesAsia for the Region 3 (Overseas Edition) Battle Royale DVD. (Edit: I hate vB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcxAsh
Oh and, I have a question about the We Suck fansubs. Whenever Luna hears the voice, the subs are written mirrored (same thing happened in what I wrote above in the spoiler). Also, especially in the spoiler, the characters mentioned that they did not understand what was said. So, my question is, is the actual Japanese spoken backwards during that point? Or is it just muffled and difficult to make out?

*sigh*, now I have to wait another week... lol
The syllables are reversed. The characters themselves don't know, but that doesn't mean viewers can't figure it out.

Last edited by lavalyn; 2004-02-16 at 23:50.
Old 2004-02-16, 23:36   Link #249
teh_suck
AKA Torgen from We Suck
*Fansubber

I'm tired of not posting in this thread.

Quote:
I suggest tying him up to a tree and leaving him as a sacrifice to whatever animal happens to be hungry at the time.
I suggest The Pink Dinosaur!

Anyways, for the content portion, a spoiler tag for those who haven't seen up to 16:
Spoiler:

Now, for a bonus spoiler, future episode titles from the NHK page for the show:
Spoiler:

Oh, and for the backwards dialogue, I suspect that what the characters hear is not backwards Japanese, but we hear it that way so we can deduce what's really being said, since we don't have Luna's benefit of getting a simultaneous emotional response. Also, I think it's like many shows wherein the actors speak Japanese because the audience speaks Japanese, not because the characters actually speak it in the world of the show. Thus, the characters talking about how the voice is actually speaking backwards would break that pattern.
teh_suck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-17, 00:46   Link #250
Kay Hearts
Cute ahiru ^v^ *quack*

Quote:

well, the difference is that in this show they will not be killed by a watch-like-collar and the only modern weapon they had is already out of energy I know, I know, what about the spears? xDDD....anyways here no one is being urged to be the last one standing in order to survive :P
Kay Hearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-17, 02:22   Link #251
sothis

god, seriously... why doesnt luna or anyone bitchslap him? he so deserves it >_<

i really do think howard is up there with the most hated character ever
sothis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-17, 11:31   Link #252
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

I do wonder how the translators manage to decipher what the voice says... do they play it in a faster/slower speed or something? I can't make out a single word of it... granted my Japanese hearing is bad, but still I think I should be able to make out some words especially it's now subbed...
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-17, 11:47   Link #253
lavalyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
I do wonder how the translators manage to decipher what the voice says... do they play it in a faster/slower speed or something? I can't make out a single word of it... granted my Japanese hearing is bad, but still I think I should be able to make out some words especially it's now subbed...
Well, the translator noticed the syllables are reversed. So the word chocolate would sound like et-kol-cho. I think. Torgen will have to back me up... I'm just the encoder ;D

It involves a not small amount of backtracking, that's for sure.
Old 2004-02-20, 10:19   Link #254
teh_suck
AKA Torgen from We Suck
*Fansubber

Another advance episode title:
Spoiler:
teh_suck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-23, 17:50   Link #255
takuan

Send a message via AIM to takuan
I started watching this pretty recently and I've finally caught up with the rest of you. The anime has a really uplifting feel to it - how a group of kids with very distinct personalities are going to learn to come together to make the best of their unfortunate situation.

I like all the characters actually - I mean they annoy me at times and some more than others, but I like that they're a bit more multidimensional than the average, if a bit exaggerated. I really like that all the characters have a lot of faults. Yes, Howard is a jerk, but he's not simply "the jerk" We've seen that he can be nice, he just chooses not to for reason they allude to - that just makes him a bit more human. And I think it's actually more realistic that he continues to be a jerk, even after his backstory. I feel similarly toward the other characters, I just picked Howard to explain since there seems to be a lot of people who hate him. I could do a little blurb about each character, but I won't as I'm sure that would bore you all to death. ^^;

As for speculations on why Luna is the only one to hear the voice, I don't think it's likely that Luna is an alien. I had also thought (as someone had mentioned earlier) that perhaps Luna can hear the voice because she was the first to have contact with the water in the Lake. It seems like the water allows some sort of telepathy between different beings. I'm not sure if it was like this to begin with, or if it's because of the aliens' influence. Either way, I think that the alien might be capable of not only telepathy but also the ability to read thoughts or memories that the other being is recalling - much in the same way that Luna was able to.

The other thought I had (based off of the spoiler titles for future episodes) was:
Spoiler:
takuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-23, 18:00   Link #256
CelestiaLegends

I watched Battle Royal a long time ago :P but I don't remember any uhh...crotch stabbing. What does this have to do with UPS anyway? :P

*waits for next episode* ^_^
CelestiaLegends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-23, 21:46   Link #257
lavalyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelestiaLegends
I watched Battle Royal a long time ago :P but I don't remember any uhh...crotch stabbing. What does this have to do with UPS anyway? :P
UPS is a happy Let Us Cling Together way of going about survival. Battle Royale, well, isn't. And the stabbing occurs near the temple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelestiaLegends
*waits for next episode* ^_^
Same here.

Edit: I'm glad this thread is still sometimes read.
Old 2004-02-25, 06:49   Link #258
kvi

Wow this is an interesting story so far! Um, does Howard remind anyone of Dr. Smith from the old Lost in Space tv series? Dr. Smith stranded everyone in the serious and causes alot of trouble. I keep expecting Howard to say "Oh the pain, the pain of it all", but I guess Papa will do.lol. They still haven't done the backstories on Howard and Kaoru yet so that will be interesting. If they are going to pair up it'll most likely be.

Luna - Kaoru
Sharla - Bell
Howard - Menori (lol)
Shingo - chako?

Luna and Bell would be interesting, but it's more than likely not going to happen.
If they did try to populate the planet, how many generations would it be before the gene pool gets a little stagnant.
kvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-25, 21:05   Link #259
7hor
Full Metal Physicist

I think those are going to be the pairs if they do (but not Shing :P) but I doubt they will go there. Ya never know though.
7hor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-25, 21:13   Link #260
kvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7hor
I think those are going to be the pairs if they do (but not Shing :P) but I doubt they will go there. Ya never know though.
Heh, it's either that are he becomes that crazy guy that really loves his animals
kvi is offline   Reply With Quote