Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-04-09, 13:37   Link #21
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamano667
Yes it does look like Rahxemphon ..rip off
Whatever. The mechs may look similar, but in terms of tone and atmosphere, the two shows are totally different. Kenran promises to be a fun, exciting series, and I look forward to seeing the rest of it.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-09, 14:33   Link #22
JediNight
キズランダム

[QUOTE=Fighter Volk]It's Studio BONES. I feel it cannot go wrong. I mean, look at their past works -- RahXephon, Wolf's Rain, Scrapped Princess, and Fullmetal Alchemist -- all of them are somewhere among my favorites!!QUOTE]

They did Scrapped Princess and Full Metal Alchemist? (And someone else mentioned Angelic Layer?) I think maybe they did animation on those series, but they weren't the main production studio like for RahXephon and Wolfs Rain. Bc I remember something about the company that owns the studio that headlined Scrapped Princess going bankrupt or something, and I don't remember Bones being related to that.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-09, 14:45   Link #23
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight
They did Scrapped Princess and Full Metal Alchemist? (And someone else mentioned Angelic Layer?) I think maybe they did animation on those series, but they weren't the main production studio like for RahXephon and Wolfs Rain. Bc I remember something about the company that owns the studio that headlined Scrapped Princess going bankrupt or something, and I don't remember Bones being related to that.
I can't give my word about Scrapped Princess (though I know they were pretty involved) but they're definitely the driving force behind Fullmetal Alchemist. I can't provide any proof at the moment, but I'm pretty sure of that.

Then again, I may be completely wrong.
Fighter Volk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-09, 17:02   Link #24
jennwenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzurial
I know I'll be sticking with this series for one thing only

The whale in the mecha suit!!! OMG cute!
*squeals awwww kawai* Okay must watch! I've found out that many of the same staff that worked on Overman King Gainer are working on this series, which explains the at least visual similarities.
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-09, 17:34   Link #25
jennwenn

Quote:
They also did the Cowboy Bebop and Escaflowne movie. The bankruptcy thing was a sponser of Studio Bones that went bust when they were in the middle of airing Scrapped Princess and Wolf's Rain. It thankfully did not affect those series. (AnimeNation might have something under their old news.)

You are right though that BONES staff don't necessarily write or direct the series they animate. I don't know about production; I've always assumed that animation and production were the same...

I like BONES because they only tend to participate in quality series, but Kenran has gotten middling reviews. Geez I need more time to watch stuff!
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-09, 17:38   Link #26
KamelRed
I put the z0r in w00t.

Out of all the new series coming out, this one looks like the most enjoyable to watch IMO. I always liked underwater mech suit fights.
KamelRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-09, 18:09   Link #27
Za Paper

I think it was the distributor that went bankrupt for Scrapped Princess. Anyway, go to http://www.bones.co.jp/ to see all the works they've done.
Za Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-09, 18:37   Link #28
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennwenn
I like BONES because they only tend to participate in quality series, but Kenran has gotten middling reviews. Geez I need more time to watch stuff!
Good point. But still, the first episode of FMA wasn't the greatest thing in the world, but look what it's turned out to be. I'm sure this will become better than it seems at first glance, and I already like it
Fighter Volk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-09, 23:34   Link #29
FlyByNite

Undersea Gundam

But this is Bones and I loved RahXephon and people call it an EVA rip-off. I think I like RahXephon more then Eva.

So I'm going to give them a few episodes and see what I think about this.
FlyByNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 02:42   Link #30
Secca
nya`
*Artist

First impression, episode 1, hmmmm it's fun to watch, alot of mecha action. I was totally drawn in their pace. ^^
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 15:48   Link #31
SimplyEd
Claytard

Quote:
The whale in the mecha suit!!! OMG cute!

Strange, i thought this is a dolphin^^ But it really is cute nonetheless, awwww^^

I just saw the first episode and i have to say: well done Bones, i'm already hooked up. Man, a whole lot of these new spring shows are pretty well done.

I'm actually very fond of the chara-design, i mean, a few minutes of watching the show and i'm already attracted to that Beth character. I don't know why but lately i'm myteriously drawn to those characters with an inate unlikeable personality...i wonder why that is? At the same time i wonder why some people think the designs are ugly..have you guys ever seen Grappler Baki? That's ugly, believe me^^

Underwater mecha action? I'm game, i've always liked the ocean (even if it's on mars) and i've always liked mechas, so much the better if those two things are combined.

Last but not least, yeah, like it was stated before there are a lot of familiar elements of previous, successful Bones productions in it and i don't really want to restate them, let's just say, that this is a big, fat golden star in my bingo book.
over and out.
SimplyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 17:08   Link #32
chibilin

I've seen the first two episodes and I like it. I like the character designs and the animation. Its a fun series and I find the talking cat to be pretty cool. I haven't seen too many shows with mecha in them but I them so I can't really comment on how good they are. I really dont know how predictable the plot is either. I think they still need to develope why the pirates do what they do etc.
chibilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 17:25   Link #33
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter Volk
Good point. But still, the first episode of FMA wasn't the greatest thing in the world, but look what it's turned out to be. I'm sure this will become better than it seems at first glance, and I already like it
It wasn't? I sure thought it was and it hasen't let me down yet.

But back to the topic on hand, I am downloading episode 2 and hope this series will continue to get interesting.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 19:29   Link #34
Tzurial
in silent opposition

Send a message via AIM to Tzurial Send a message via MSN to Tzurial
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyEd
Strange, i thought this is a dolphin^^ But it really is cute nonetheless, awwww^^
Ah! doubting.. myself.. now I have to go check!!

no, that has gotta be a beluga whale! I will watch this series patiently and wait for it to become the main charcter!!
Tzurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 20:17   Link #35
SimplyEd
Claytard

Quote:
Ah! doubting.. myself.. now I have to go check!!

no, that has gotta be a beluga whale! I will watch this series patiently and wait for it to become the main charcter!!

You know, i just rewatched the first episode and i think you're right, it is a beluga whale..sorry,my bad

Oh, and i'm pretty sure that it will be the future main character..just think about it, a whale in a mecha suit...that's even better than talking, robotic cats without ears
SimplyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 01:43   Link #36
Dinaluban61
Taicho!

Yes, I'm gonna watch this show only because they have a Beluga whale in a suit. But really, this show for some reason reminds me of voltron/cyborg 009/battle for the planets. I dunno bout the story. I really don't dig the animation, looks American-made sometimes. I would say this anime is ok.
Dinaluban61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 11:40   Link #37
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

have seen the first two episodes, and yup I like that... um... creature in that suit

however it bothers me a bit when that cat talks and operates the sub, I mean, I understand that it's set in some "post-galactic war" period so they have quite some high-tech to "uplift" that whale/dolphin/something, but they can even uplift a cat??!! that's some super high tech they've got there, now I won't be surprised if that girl's pet fish suddenly starts to talk and operate RBs in some later episodes
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 12:23   Link #38
ArcHawk
Expand your world...

Saw the first episode...enjoyed it. Will definitely be watching this series. Definitely seems to be of a lighter overall tone than RahXephon. Although first glances can be deceiving. But somehow I don't see this one turning into some philosophical drama like RahXephon or Eva.

And if the first episode is any indication, it will have a nice balance of humor, action, mecha, and human relationship.

Should be a good, fun series even if its not one of the truly great ones of the year.
ArcHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 17:32   Link #39
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

I am not a big fan of mecha-based anime (I've never even seen Macross or Eva, etc)... but this one seems alright for some reason... the first episode was cool and I like the whole underwater thing... gonna keep watchin this one definitely.....
Old 2004-04-11, 17:53   Link #40
Za Paper

Who else thought it was funny when the cat says "Get all nearby BALLZ to the flooded area."
Za Paper is offline   Reply With Quote