AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2008-07-31, 13:35   Link #441
Zoe

It seems significant to me that SS is always in the mirror...

In the manga, anyway. For some reason in all his scenes in the anime, they take him out of the mirror and put him with the other people in the room.
Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-31, 13:38   Link #442
lmd_84

@ HiroInazuma - *nods* I've been considering an explanation along similar lines for how Shinigami exists in the world. For fanon purposes (e.g in fanfiction) I tend to think his power and overall influence was greatly reduced following the chaining of Asura, though the only canon basis for this so far is that he simply cannot leave Death City (his physical influence has lessened massively)

The very fact that Death bound the Kishin rather than destroying him outright makes me think that his former ally did Shinigami some serious damage before getting bound under the city.

The 'other dimension' notion would also provide an explanation for the differences between the two gods and the humans; they have access to areas and powers that the Techs and Weapons do not.

Oddly enough, I reckon two things point to this: Shinigami talking to Kid in episode 3 is doing so not through the mirror nor in person, there almost needs to be some other medium here (or at least in my mind, liking as I do to explain...everything); Kid's skateboard, because the way it appears looks like he's pulling it out of somewhere.

But if there is some other dimension - of Death and his eccentric child - in the SE universe the author has spent an awful lot of time without suggesting that's actually the case. I like the idea, but, I'm not sure how right it is...

@Zoe - Yes, I think you're right that him being in the mirror is significant. I'm not too bothered about the anime leaving him out of the mirror, because they don't always do that. We've seen him in it several times.
lmd_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-31, 15:10   Link #443
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

In the manga he's not always in the mirror too since he fights Asura, obv not in a mirror but yeah I agree the mirror is significant.

Ok maybe I should have rephrased the "just a tech" but I was paraphrasing from RC, obv SS isnt just a tech but the mask aspect is interesting. But Imd makes a good point with the pic posted of Asura fighting SS, there doesnt seem to much too him.

We know SS is bound to Shibusen because of Asura, atleast until Asura escaped (right? he's not still bound is he?).

Taking a script from Zombie-Loan, (concerning Kid) Chika and Shito pull out their weapons from their hands just as Kid does with the skate board. They manifest their weapons so it could be Kid is simply doing that instead of pulling out of another place but again this is speculation on my part.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-31, 15:30   Link #444
lmd_84

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
In the manga he's not always in the mirror too since he fights Asura, obv not in a mirror but yeah I agree the mirror is significant.

Ok maybe I should have rephrased the "just a tech" but I was paraphrasing from RC, obv SS isnt just a tech but the mask aspect is interesting. But Imd makes a good point with the pic posted of Asura fighting SS, there doesnt seem to much too him.

We know SS is bound to Shibusen because of Asura, atleast until Asura escaped (right? he's not still bound is he?).
Though Asura being out rather suggests Shinigami would be free, I'm not sure about that. The last time I brought it up (somewhere...could have been here, might not) someone pointed out that if Shinigami had used a lot of strength to bind Asura, even if he was now free from that 'spell' he's not immediately as strong as he was before.

On the other hand, there's the storytelling aspect to consider here. If Shinigami was free to roam around as he wished - thanks to Asura being out - he could possibly track down Arachne and Asura himself. I can't imagine he'd leave the attack on Arachnaphobia's HQ to Medusa and his own students if there was any alternative. Medusa tried to 'destroy the world' and judging by a certain flashback Shinigami has...issues with Arachne (he is so fun when he's being nasty ).

Shinigami being bound serves a plot device to stop that (relatively) simple elimination whilst allowing for more drama and action on the part of the student characters. That said, the fact the mangaka's not clarified SS's status on the seal is itself something of a plothole.
Old 2008-07-31, 16:30   Link #445
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmd_84 View Post
Though Asura being out rather suggests Shinigami would be free, I'm not sure about that. The last time I brought it up (somewhere...could have been here, might not) someone pointed out that if Shinigami had used a lot of strength to bind Asura, even if he was now free from that 'spell' he's not immediately as strong as he was before.

On the other hand, there's the storytelling aspect to consider here. If Shinigami was free to roam around as he wished - thanks to Asura being out - he could possibly track down Arachne and Asura himself. I can't imagine he'd leave the attack on Arachnaphobia's HQ to Medusa and his own students if there was any alternative. Medusa tried to 'destroy the world' and judging by a certain flashback Shinigami has...issues with Arachne (he is so fun when he's being nasty ).

Shinigami being bound serves a plot device to stop that (relatively) simple elimination whilst allowing for more drama and action on the part of the student characters. That said, the fact the mangaka's not clarified SS's status on the seal is itself something of a plothole.
No one's said anything about him being unbound, so I assume he's still bound, especially since as you said it'd make no sense for him not to be taking care of things personally at this point. Not to mention Asura got away specifically because the Shinigami was still bound after Asura's release. Otherwise he would've been chased. Unless there's some bizarre time delay thing.

I get the impression that the Shinigami no longer has a body at all. Sort of like what we see is just a projection that his soul (which is bound to the city itself) can create within itself. This also explains his preferred presence in mirrors; it seems reasonable that creating an illusion is easier than physically manifesting himself.

And, as I've argued in another thread somewhere in here, I believe that whatever Shinigami did to seal Asura required him to sacrifice something permanent, either his body or simply his mobility (possibly requiring him to live in another dimension?). I never got the impression that him being bound to the city was merely an effect his long term maintenance of the seal, which seems to be the more common interpretation.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-01, 05:48   Link #446
lmd_84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
I never got the impression that him being bound to the city was merely an effect his long term maintenance of the seal, which seems to be the more common interpretation.
One thing that strikes me about these alternative explanations: can either be strongly supported by canon? That is to say, are both drawing on the same material and coming to different (but equally plausible) conclusions, or is one more substantial than the other?

Stein does say, IIRC, that Shinigami bound himself to the city, but I can't recall if there is any dialogue supporting that this is (or is not) permanent. Instead, we have for e.g the circumstantial evidence that you brought up about Asura not being chased.

*shrug* I have a tendency to get attached to one particular theory (hence me still considering the seal can be undone and SS freed), but I figure at this point that one could still make an argument either way.
Old 2008-08-03, 09:22   Link #447
kagato3

He is not unbound. Stien stated that even if Asura was released Death would still be bound to the city and the only way to for him to move would be for the city itself to grow legs.
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-14, 10:14   Link #448
orangejuicetang

Rereading, I have a quick question. If medusa was the one who betrayed Arachne to the reaper 800 years ago to the Shinigami, how is it that the Shinigami wasn't able to recognize Medusa present time and hired her as a nurse?

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
orangejuicetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-14, 12:14   Link #449
lmd_84

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangejuicetang View Post
Rereading, I have a quick question. If medusa was the one who betrayed Arachne to the reaper 800 years ago to the Shinigami, how is it that the Shinigami wasn't able to recognize Medusa present time and hired her as a nurse?
Well, either Medusa had changed her appearance, or it could be because, when he was talking to two of the witch students, Spirit told them that he was the one in charge of hiring staff in the school. If that's the case, Shinigami might not have really seen Medusa before she became the nurse.
Old 2008-08-14, 14:47   Link #450
HiroInazuma
Boss of Ecchi Yazuka

Where is the manga?! I haven't seen a chapter in weeks!
HiroInazuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-14, 15:49   Link #451
Zoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiroInazuma View Post
Where is the manga?! I haven't seen a chapter in weeks!
This is a monthly manga series. The latest issue just came out on the 12th.

Edit: Oh my! The newest chapter has made me feel faint!

Edit2: Anybody here speak Russian?

Last edited by Zoe; 2008-08-15 at 00:44.
Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-18, 18:31   Link #452
Excorsism

Talk about severe power-ups from the damned bug.

What are the chances of Kid being killed off permanently? I just don't see him getting out of this dire situation at all.
Old 2008-08-18, 19:33   Link #453
~Kezia~
Scarlet Yukineko

troublesome bug -_-'

if Kidd does die..i wont be able to believe that, Free wont die at least since he is well inmortal and all
Lets just hope Kid doesn't die
~Kezia~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-18, 19:37   Link #454
orangejuicetang

Yay for the new chapter. I was thinking that Free and Kid make a pretty good team, until I saw mosquitto's powerup. Who else here thinks that if nothing else, mosquitto looks awesome? It reminded me of a vampire.

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.

Last edited by orangejuicetang; 2008-08-18 at 20:06.
orangejuicetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-18, 20:59   Link #455
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

I get the feeling that is exactly what he is, the bats and drinking blood thing give it away.

That said; I don't see how they can beat him without Free or Kid stepping this up a lot.

Perhaps we will get to see the true depths of a Shinigami's power?
Old 2008-08-18, 21:30   Link #456
NobodyMan
Trying to be somebody

Send a message via MSN to NobodyMan
Heh, Yeah, I think that Mosquito is actually a vampire as well. I can see him saying something along the lines of this:

Mosquito: Mosquito was the name given to me by Arachne-sama, but back in the day I had another name...

Kid: Another name...?

Mosquto: The name was feared throughout the lands, a name that made the blood run cold. That name was...*dramatic pause*

Kid: ...

Mosquito: Dracula.

To be Continued.

Or something like that.

Sig made by Yumii-chan.
Avi made by Woodburner
NobodyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-18, 21:31   Link #457
ccha

Free and Kid make an awesome team but I guess it ain't enough to defeat Mosquitto. Can't wait to find out about this Eibon guy.
ccha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-18, 23:54   Link #458
HiroInazuma
Boss of Ecchi Yazuka

I can't believe he cut Free in half and cut off Kidd's arm...he must be pissed cos now he is even more unsymmetrical
HiroInazuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-19, 01:15   Link #459
KousaCross
Break the Glass World

Send a message via MSN to KousaCross
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyMan View Post
Heh, Yeah, I think that Mosquito is actually a vampire as well. I can see him saying something along the lines of this:

Mosquito: Mosquito was the name given to me by Arachne-sama, but back in the day I had another name...

Kid: Another name...?

Mosquto: The name was feared throughout the lands, a name that made the blood run cold. That name was...*dramatic pause*

Kid: ...

Mosquito: Dracula.

To be Continued.

Or something like that.
I wouldn't be surprised if he turned out to be Dracula. o.o Soul Eater's had other famous names like Rasputin, Al Capone, and Jack the Ripper. Here comes Dracula! xD
KousaCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-19, 08:22   Link #460
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
I hated the last page of chapt 52... next issue mid october... it feels like i m reading kissxsis all over again :/
D a m i e n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shounen