AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Amagami SS

Notices

Old 2010-07-07, 17:57   Link #381
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The character will choose someone at the end of each arc. Its more like a series of short stories set in alternate/parallel universes.

So, for the VN gamers - its exactly like replaying the game but making different choices that lead towards a different end.

If you read the Kimikiss manga adaptation, you'll see exactly how this sort of short story style works. That manga handles it with each volume focusing on one path to one girl and winning her at the end of that volume. Each following volume starts the school year over - there is no "correct" or "only" end.
Spoiler for maybe a bit too revealing of kimikiss:
and it just feels when they do these omnibus adaptations that they tend to not add the internal conflict from other stories which is interesting, I wish they would take the approach of that although somethings may change due to circumstance that overall the feelings that the characters have initially are maintained throughout the omnibus story format.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-07, 18:12   Link #382
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Yeah, saying 'sorry, I like older guys" is not the nicest thing aroung and I would call it downright crushing, but at least she was kind enough to not beat around the bush and shot him down even if it was crushing.
Aw, come on.

"You're more manly than I thought, Tachibana-kun. Surprised me just a bit. Thank you. That made me very happy."

That's a very kind way of sugarcoating the bitter pill:

"But, no dice. I like reliable guys who are older than me."

In other words, it's not even really his fault, or anything. He's just younger than her. Yes, it's a rejection, but definitely no cruel one. Crushing for his dreams, maybe, but that's not Haruka's fault.

The point I'm trying to make is: It's obvious that Haruka intentionally provoked the early confession in order to signal "no" to him BEFORE he's getting into her all too much - not to flatter her own vanity. And that's kindness in itself.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-07, 18:16   Link #383
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

@NoSauz: Aye... but then sometimes I guess the fans *want* "simple fairy tales" rather than the sort of complexity older people prefer (because they know life simply isn't simple)

Aye... the KKPR manga at least acknowledges in a frame or two in each episode that other paths might have been possible, but pretty much squelches them.
Old 2010-07-07, 18:27   Link #384
Mentar
Banned

To be honest, I disagree that the "reset" format turns the romances into "simple fairly tales". I'd say it's rather the other way round. It _enables_ a different kind of problems which are much easier to relate to, and avoids the typical trapfalls of harems.

Harems dictate that the male lead is essentially liked by all competing girls. It also dictates that he can't be too determined to woo one girl, because that would elevate her over the rest. So he needs to spread his interest in a way that all girls have their episodes, and in the end he's supposed to go with the designated match.

First of all, this is exceptionally boring. It's also extremely unrealistic, because normally all those amazing girls wouldn't give insensitive and undependable wishy-washy male leads the time of day. This is a gigantic hurdle of disbelief to cross for viewers like me.

The reset approach allows for "realistic" stories, which the viewer can relate to better. How he can develop an interest or a crush in a girl. How he tries just to get shot down. And - like now - how he will carry on to pursue her. Stuff like that usually cannot happen in harem settings. And so, I find the Amagami SS start very fresh and exciting.
Old 2010-07-07, 19:03   Link #385
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
To be honest, I disagree that the "reset" format turns the romances into "simple fairly tales". I'd say it's rather the other way round. It _enables_ a different kind of problems which are much easier to relate to, and avoids the typical trapfalls of harems.

Harems dictate that the male lead is essentially liked by all competing girls. It also dictates that he can't be too determined to woo one girl, because that would elevate her over the rest. So he needs to spread his interest in a way that all girls have their episodes, and in the end he's supposed to go with the designated match.

First of all, this is exceptionally boring. It's also extremely unrealistic, because normally all those amazing girls wouldn't give insensitive and undependable wishy-washy male leads the time of day. This is a gigantic hurdle of disbelief to cross for viewers like me.

The reset approach allows for "realistic" stories, which the viewer can relate to better. How he can develop an interest or a crush in a girl. How he tries just to get shot down. And - like now - how he will carry on to pursue her. Stuff like that usually cannot happen in harem settings. And so, I find the Amagami SS start very fresh and exciting.
I mean why does it have to be harem or one girl only? That's not how real life works. And in kimikiss various heroines this clearly something hard to reconcile especially with volume one being mao's arc. I'm just saying that if let's say juinichi is basketball player, that he be a basketball player in the next arc too, that they don't change the protag just to fit with the heroine because that itself is hard to believe and instead would warrant more for a show in the style of hatsukoi limited rather omnibus.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-07, 21:47   Link #386
Elvin

[mod edit: removed game discussion]

And I literally shouted "OUCH!" at the end of ep 1. Stuff like that'll send a hikkikomori deeper into their shell.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2010-07-07 at 23:39. Reason: No game discussion
Elvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-07, 23:38   Link #387
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvin View Post
(this IS still part game-thread, right?)
Just to be clear (because many people seem to be making this mistake), this thread is zero-part game thread. The game thread is over there. In this thread, you can only discuss the game in the context of events that have already been presented in the anime, and even then behind spoiler tags. Please consult the Spoiler Policy for more information.
Old 2010-07-08, 00:18   Link #388
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Haruka reminds me so much of Mao...
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-08, 01:48   Link #389
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:

I pretty much agree with you that classical harem are mostly disasters... I should have clarified I have more success with those that "select two/three" and create a bit of complexity with a triangle (e.g. Canvas 2) but I also like those that select a path and stick to it (e.g. Lamune). Three or Four episodes would allow for much more depth so I wonder if they can provide some texture in two episodes.
Old 2010-07-08, 02:54   Link #390
gonzo562

we need more fan art of Haruka and Kaoru in this thread

I just love Haruka's eyes and Kaorus hair
gonzo562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-08, 03:25   Link #391
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
Haruka reminds me so much of Mao...
Now that's what i like to hear.
Old 2010-07-08, 03:38   Link #392
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo562 View Post
I just love Haruka's eyes and Kaorus hair
You want to combine those two details together?

(I'm not firing up photoshop to find out! Someone else do the dirty deed)
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-08, 03:47   Link #393
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron View Post
You want to combine those two details together?
Kaoru has pretty attractive eyes in the original game art, though not so much in the anime. Still a shame that they're not really doing much with her sexy messy hair, though there's always her arc where we could see improvements!
Old 2010-07-08, 04:01   Link #394
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:

Not to mention that overly complicated or long lasting love traingles are rather unrealistic as well, normally love triangles get solves fast enough if people are not too retarded and have a head on their shoulders. The overly complicated and long lasting love triangles are much more common in melodrama's than real life.

This way amagami may give a more realistic feeling than 'fairy dream' tale or 'fairy melodrama tale' with love triangles and the stuff.

I think it may be a good approach but it also depends on how well they use those 4 episodes to let us discover the characters.

Kimikiss manga was bit bad in that term that some girls felt like they were not fully revealed because of too short space they had and sometimes the events were too tightly crammed in to be really effective.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-08, 04:04   Link #395
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I pretty much agree with you that classical harem are mostly disasters... I should have clarified I have more success with those that "select two/three" and create a bit of complexity with a triangle (e.g. Canvas 2) but I also like those that select a path and stick to it (e.g. Lamune). Three or Four episodes would allow for much more depth so I wonder if they can provide some texture in two episodes.
Why two episodes? For Amagami, we'll get at least 4 episodes for each girl...

I see what you mean, but the two-or-three scenario is a different kind of creature. It also suffers from the inexplicable-popularity syndrome, and all too often I find myself rooting for the underdog ... it will be a welcome change to break the curse of rooting for the losing girl aswell.

Let's wait and see how the show deals with it, but so far I'm _very_ optimistic.
Old 2010-07-08, 04:16   Link #396
lionel23

Quote:

I really like your explanation on this, pretty much sums up what I was thinking, each girl gets her own, independent, self-contained story and to me that's more believable than the main guy - in one 'setting' - just jumping between the 6 girls all at once. I tell you I'm really looking forward to Tsukasa Ayatsuji's story the most, I just can't wait!

And the other nice thing is all the famous voice actresses in this, I love Haruka's eyes and man, hearing Hinagiku's voice as her character just sends goosebumps down my arms, heh.
lionel23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-08, 04:31   Link #397
Mentar
Banned

In a way I find it funny how much Shizuka Itou's voice gets associated with Hinagiku

But it's true - from the range of voices she can offer, she rarely picks the "true Hinagiku" one. It's pretty cute to have her giggle and flirt around with it. Definitely helped me enjoy the start quite a bit! Hayate, look what you're missing!
Old 2010-07-08, 04:40   Link #398
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Not to mention that overly complicated or long lasting love traingles are rather unrealistic as well, normally love triangles get solves fast enough if people are not too retarded and have a head on their shoulders. The overly complicated and long lasting love triangles are much more common in melodrama's than real life.
Agreed.

Quote:
I think it may be a good approach but it also depends on how well they use those 4 episodes to let us discover the characters.

Kimikiss manga was bit bad in that term that some girls felt like they were not fully revealed because of too short space they had and sometimes the events were too tightly crammed in to be really effective.
I very much agree, but I'm a bit surprised that you see it like this too (I thought it was just me). Because as far as I heard, the Kimikiss mangas were fairly popular, but I couldn't warm up to them all too much.

For Haruka, it was a good start. I think we already got a good grip on her character and style. Now I'm curious about her backstory - I don't think that her "dependable older boys" line was only a shrugoff, but true. We've got to know the beaming-happy Haruka. Now I'm curious what made her look so crestfallen in the preview.
Old 2010-07-08, 04:41   Link #399
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Well, I have a feeling that the arcs won't stay contained through all the episodes (do they ever?), so we'll see.

I still want a typically underdog pairing to win out this time. COME ON TOMBOY!
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-08, 11:08   Link #400
greedyisgood
easy mode

Too bad they should have made this into harem series.

Tags
romance, seinen, shounen