AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-03-04, 18:51   Link #19941
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Or more like poison him with polonium 210 before it even gets to that point...
Old 2012-03-04, 19:35   Link #19942
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Or more like poison him with polonium 210 before it even gets to that point...
Remember he's a sambo fan, he could have just hit the person twice in the forehead with a kill.

And I think I just found the perfect Bond candidate :

Speeches and patrol boats as Prince Harry marks Queen's Jubilee in the Bahamas (2:56)

Quote:
ROUGH CUT (NO REPORTER NARRATION) STORY: Britain's Prince Harry addressed the Bahamian people on Sunday in a speech in a downtown Nassau square crowded with admirers.

"The Bahamas holds a very special place in Her Majesty's heart. Her love for this realm and you, the Bahamian people, stretches back over decades, right to that first visit in 1966. During the 60 years of my grandmother's reign, The Bahamas has flourished," he said from atop a sun-soaked stage in front of the country's Parliament building. This is Harry's first visit to The Bahamas, an independent nation that is part of the Commonwealth of Nations and recognizes Queen Elizabeth II as head of state. While on stage, Harry received gifts from The Bahamas, including a portrait of himself painted by a local artist. The third in line to the throne, this overseas tour, which also includes stops in Belize, Jamaica and Brazil, is Harry's first time representing the queen abroad. Harry then cut the ribbon to officially open an exhibition of photography depicting his grandmother's royal visits to The Bahamas. After touring the outdoor exhibit amid a sea of photographers, Harry walked through the square to a Royal Bahamian Defence Force boat, where he was met by saluting service members. From the dock, the prince speeded away on board a patrol boat for military exercises around several of The Bahamas' further outlying islands. Prince Harry will depart for Jamaica on Monday and complete his tour in Brazil on March 8. The Diamond Jubilee is being celebrated throughout 2012 to mark the 60th anniversary of Queen Elizabeth's ascension to the throne.
Both of them are certainly ladies men....and from the generic affiliations too.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-03-04, 19:44   Link #19943
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Both of them are certainly ladies men....and from the generic affiliations too.
But isn't Bond from Scotland ?
Old 2012-03-04, 20:04   Link #19944
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The Royal line is royals of Scotland and England after James I.

Also the Queen Mother was a Scottish noble, and thus, if Queen (her daugher Queen Elizabeth II) is Scottish as well, so is her great-grandsons. At least partially.

Also there is Balmoral Castle.

(The Queen still needs to rule for another four years to beat Victoria)
Old 2012-03-05, 02:42   Link #19945
konart

Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Well, "brainwashed" might be not the best word here. The point is - they totaly believe in everyting he says.

Putin says there is no corruption? No corruption it is.
WWII veterans, who have no means of subsistence? No such thing. World through a pink glasses.
The only good thing is that most of the organization was dismissed some time ago, so Putinjugend is not as annoying as it was.

PS: lol, despite all the efforts Putin has less than 50% in St.Petersburg and Moscow.
Old 2012-03-05, 03:12   Link #19946
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by konart View Post
Aaaaand here we go. For another 6 years.

Wouldn't it be 12 years? Considering he can win next election too
Old 2012-03-05, 03:20   Link #19947
konart

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Wouldn't it be 12 years? Considering he can win next election too
Could well be.
Old 2012-03-05, 03:54   Link #19948
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Six for certain, the next six are optional.
Old 2012-03-05, 03:57   Link #19949
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
Dude I am TELLING you Putin would be the most EPIC James Bond villian! He ALWAYS gives off that vibe in these awesome photos!
"Nyet, Tovarisch Bond, I expect you to die."

Old 2012-03-05, 04:14   Link #19950
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Have you wonder if some world leaders and the like do see themselves as awesome bond-like villains.
Old 2012-03-05, 04:29   Link #19951
konart

Yet again...

In Chechnya Putin got 99,76%, while attendance is 99,61%

Real patriots live there.
Old 2012-03-05, 04:29   Link #19952
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Calm weather offers respite after deadly storms
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...81S2AD20120305
Quote:
Calm weather gave dazed residents of storm-wracked U.S. towns a respite on Sunday as they dug out from a chain of tornadoes that cut a swath of destruction from the Midwest to the Gulf of Mexico, killing at least 39 people.
Old 2012-03-05, 06:14   Link #19953
Ridwan

Quote:
Atheist group targets Muslims, Jews with 'myth' billboards in Arabic and Hebrew

(CNN) - The billboard wars between atheists and believers have raged for years now, especially around New York City, and a national atheist group is poised to take the battle a step further with billboards in Muslim and Jewish enclaves bearing messages in Arabic and Hebrew.

American Atheists, a national organization, will unveil the billboards Monday on Broadway in heavily Muslim city of Paterson, New Jersey, and in a heavily Jewish Brooklyn neighborhood, immediately after the Williamsburg Bridge.

"You know it's a myth ... and you have a choice," the billboards say. The Paterson version is in English and Arabic, and the Brooklyn one in English and Hebrew. To the right of the text on the Arabic sign is the word for God, Allah. To the right of the text on the Hebrew sign is the word for God, Yahweh.

Dave Silverman, the president of American Atheists, said the signs are intended to reach atheists in the Muslim and Jewish enclaves who may feel isolated because they are surrounded by believers.

"Those communities are designed to keep atheists in the ranks," he says. "If there are atheists in those communities, we are reaching out to them. We are letting them know that we see them, we acknowledge them and they don't have to live that way if they don't want to."

Silverman says the signs advertise the American Atheists' upcoming convention and an atheist rally, called the Reason Rally, in Washington next month.

Atheists have long pointed to surveys that suggest atheists and agnostics make up between 3% and 4% of the U.S. population. That number increases when Americans unaffiliated with any religion are included. The Pew Center's U.S. Religious Landscape Survey found that 16% are unaffiliated, though only a fraction of those are avowed atheists and agnostics.

Silverman acknowledges that the pair of new billboards will likely cause a stir.

"People are going to be upset," he says. "That is not our concern."

"We are not trying to inflame anything," he continued. "We are trying to advertise our existence to atheist in those communities. The objective is not to inflame but rather to advertise the atheist movement in the Muslim and Jewish community."

The billboards will be up for one month and cost American Atheists, based in New Jersey, less than $15,000 each, according to Silverman.

Mohamed Elfilali, executive director of the Islamic Center of Passaic County, laughed when he learned the Arabic billboard would go up in the same town as his office. He says he's surprised that someone is spending money on such a sign.

"It is not the first and won't be the last time people have said things about God or religion," Elfilali says. "I respect people's opinion about God; obviously they are entitled to it. I don't think God is a myth, but that doesn't exclude people to have a different opinion."

But Elfilali bemoaned the billboards as another example of a hyper-polarized world.

"Sadly, there is a need to polarize society as opposed to build bridges," he says. "That is the century that we live in. It is very polarized, very politicized."

The Brooklyn billboard is likely to raise eyebrows among Jews, in part because Orthodox Jews don't write out the name of God, as the billboard does.

"It is an emotional word, there will be an emotional response," said Rabbi Kenneth Brander, dean of Yeshiva University's Center for the Jewish Future. "People will look at it in a bizarre way. People won't understand why someone needed to write that out."

To get around the prohibition, Jews usually use only one Hebrew letter in place of the word. In the Torah scroll, though, the word is found and it is pronounced Adonai, which means "my master."

Rabbi Serge Lippe of the Brooklyn Heights Synagogue was more dismissive than outraged about the billboards.

Rabbi Serge Lippe of the Brooklyn Heights Synagogue had a similar response.

"The great thing about America is we are marketplace for ideas," he says. "People put up awful, inappropriate billboards expressing their ideas and that is embraced."

But Lippe acknowledged that there are a lot of agnostic and atheist Jews. A recent Gallup survey found 53% of Jews identified as nonreligious. Among American Jews, 17% identified as very religious and 30% identified as moderately religious.

"When you have two Jews in the room, you have three opinions," joked Lippe.

American Atheists have used the word "myth" to describe religion and God on billboards before. Last November, the organization went up with a billboard immediately before the New Jersey entrance to the Lincoln tunnel that showed the three wise men heading to Bethlehem and stated "You KNOW it's a Myth. This Season, Celebrate Reason."

At the time, the American Atheists said the billboard was to encourage Atheists to come out of the closet with their beliefs and to dispel the myth that Christianity owns the solstice season.

The Christmas billboard led to a "counter punch" by the Catholic League, a New York-based Catholic advocacy group. The Catholic League put up a competing billboard that said, "You Know It's Real: This Season Celebrate Jesus."

Silverman says his group's billboard campaigns will continue long into the future.

"There will be more billboards," Silverman says. "We are not going to be limiting to Muslims and Jews, we are going to be putting up multiple billboards in multiple communities in order to get atheists to come out of the closet."
You've got to love how enlightened, respectful and utterly non-misionary their method is. I can only hope that someone sufficiently more sensible can and to set an example how to achieve their essentially good intention more tactfully. This case speaks volumes about how ideological zeal alone is far from sufficient to find effective and non-dickish means to achieve a goal. Elfilali is right that we're living in a world plagued by hyper-polarization that glorifies radical dismantling of existing establishments as a romantic and unconditionally positive cause to achieve. Judging from the numerous examples of radical and forceful changes through volatile trajectories have brought to many places around the world, much can be said about how erroneous such a claim evidently is.
Old 2012-03-05, 06:16   Link #19954
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

South Koreans react to North's threats

Quote:
South Koreans are unfazed by North Korea's threat. One day after the North threatened a "sacred war" against the South, residents in Seoul say they don't really care.

(SOUNDBITE) (Korean) 48-YEAR-OLD RESIDENT KIM WON-SOOK SAYING: "I don't expect any war. North Korea threatens us all the time. The North Korean regime has to be concerned with how to maintain their power, so they have no time to think about waging a war. Pyongyang has accused South Korean President Lee Myung-bak and his military leaders of allowing an army unit to hang portraits of former and current North Korean leaders, with the words "Let's kill Kim Jong-un" under them. The South Korean defence ministry said it was unnecessary for the North to make an issue out of the incident.

(SOUNDBITE) (Korean) DEFENCE MINISTRY SPOKESMAN KIM MIN-SEOK SAYING: "It's one of the posters located inside a military unit to intensify the mental education for our soldiers against the enemy. So it's not appropriate for the North Korean regime to make an issue out of it, and to have its official broadcaster denounce our country." Footage from North Korea's state-run television KRT showed North Korean soldiers firing at a target that reads "Down with crazy Lee Myung-bak, the traitors and military warmongers". The new threat comes just days after Pyongyang agreed with the United States to suspend major parts of its nuclear programme and allow back international nuclear inspectors.
Marines vs Zerglings. Who will win?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-03-05, 06:47   Link #19955
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

@Aegir:

They probably tired attacking the Christians since they knew they not going to win against them. Those sheeps(at least from atheists' POV) are too damn stubborn to leave their faith.
Old 2012-03-05, 06:52   Link #19956
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

If they really believe in what they're advertising, they should try doing it in a Middle-Eastern country. Granted they'd probably be hunted down and shot, but they might get some pretty interesting results.
Old 2012-03-05, 07:15   Link #19957
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegir View Post
You've got to love how enlightened, respectful and utterly non-misionary their method is. I can only hope that someone sufficiently more sensible can and to set an example how to achieve their essentially good intention more tactfully. This case speaks volumes about how ideological zeal alone is far from sufficient to find effective and non-dickish means to achieve a goal. Elfilali is right that we're living in a world plagued by hyper-polarization that glorifies radical dismantling of existing establishments as a romantic and unconditionally positive cause to achieve. Judging from the numerous examples of radical and forceful changes through volatile trajectories have brought to many places around the world, much can be said about how erroneous such a claim evidently is.
Meh...

They're just billboards. The messages may be the equivalent of a troll but the best approach to trolls is just to ignore them. Haters gonna hate.

Wave of attacks in Iraq:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-17255047

Last edited by Haak; 2012-03-05 at 07:26.
Old 2012-03-05, 07:20   Link #19958
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Meh...

They're just billboards. The messages may be the equivalent of a troll but the best approach to trolls is just to ignore them. Haters gonna hate.
I'm more interested on how those guys avoided trolling the Christians in first place. That was unintentionally funny.
Old 2012-03-05, 07:40   Link #19959
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
If they really believe in what they're advertising, they should try doing it in a Middle-Eastern country. Granted they'd probably be hunted down and shot, but they might get some pretty interesting results.
I have no qualms about them advertising their beliefs since I used to be an atheist myself, though I felt that they shouldn't have done it physically.

If they wanted to draw followers into their atheist club, they should have done "invitations" talk & debate. Not only would they learn more about other religions to counter them, they could gain more respect (which in turn leads to more followers) for being a peaceful ideology.

Old 2012-03-05, 08:06   Link #19960
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegir View Post
I must say, good sir, that I absolutely admire your level of skill in quote-mining, and your apparent talent in highlighting certain portions of the article in order to support your wild, decidedly ad hominem speculations about the motives of the organisation behind this particular billboard campaign.

On the other hand, I must deplore your equally apparent tendency to fail to see other portions of the article, particularly those which does not support your speculations quite as well, such as this;

Quote:
Dave Silverman, the president of American Atheists, said the signs are intended to reach atheists in the Muslim and Jewish enclaves who may feel isolated because they are surrounded by believers.

“Those communities are designed to keep atheists in the ranks,” he says. “If there are atheists in those communities, we are reaching out to them. We are letting them know that we see them, we acknowledge them and they don't have to live that way if they don’t want to.”
How this translates into an attempt at "hyper-polarization that glorifies radical dismantling of existing establishments as a romantic and unconditionally positive cause to achieve" quite escapes me, to be frank. In the light of this contradiction, I will simply take your spell of unsubstantiated ranting as a failure of reading comprehension on your part, up until (and if) you deign to explain how you managed to derive such a contradictory conclusion from the above premises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
As a matter of fact, I do believe some good folks are already on it. The reason you might not have heard quite as much about these people is, yes, you are quite right; they are getting hunted down and shot for it. Which would be quite convenient for you, yes? The religious vigilantes do such a great job of silencing non-believers in those areas through use of terror and force, muting the story of their struggle so effectively that it is the similar, yet more effective and less threatened efforts in the West which takes up more airtime, allowing fine young ladies such as yourself to make such ignorant comments about how campaigners for freedom of thought like the billboard people should set their priorities straight.

In any case, just because there may be more pressing concerns in other lands, doesn't necessarily make local and perhaps less urgent efforts any less worthwhile. As a matter of fact, I do think the billboard people have a good reason for wanting to settle things in their own backyard first, given that a sizable minority of the inhabitants in their backyard are seriously considering such a character as a certain Mr Richard Santorum for the position of executive.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international