AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2004-10-10, 11:01   Link #261
justsomeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney2K
The Del Rey volume 3 is due out next week, but some places have released earlier volumes days ahead of the release date- anyone read it yet?

Widya Santoso
Okay, I just picked up Del Rey's Negima volume 3, and read through it. I've noticed several errors and nuances:

1) This time around, Del Rey has translated Negi's spells directly into English, instead of the Latin used in the previous two volumes.
2) Throughout the entire book, Negi's father is referred to as the "Southern Master." This is definitely a major mistake (worthy of issuing a reprint for), since the correct name is "Thousand Master," since he knows a thousand spells, as Negi himself explained in volume 1.
3) On page 48 in 18th Period: A Visit from a Small Helper, Perhaps!?, there is an error within two balloons. Asuna suddenly realizes that Negi's gone; however, instead of saying something to register her surprise and confusion, she says: "What is this, a bath?" Which is exactly what Negi says on page 49.
4) The ermine's name is translated as "Albert Chamomile," and Negi refers to him as "Chamo-kun." Chamo-kun refers to Negi as "big brother." Personally, "big brother" in English sounds rather clumsy compared to the Japanese term "aniki," since Westerners do not distinguish between relative ages of siblings, nor do they refer to dear friends as such. Interestingly enough, Chamo chooses to refer to Asuna with the Japanese term "ane-san." Why the inconsistent use of English and Japanese?
5) No more "mature" sticker. Now "for mature audiences" is printed discretely on the back cover above the age rating.
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-10, 11:19   Link #262
GyroidFanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy
2) Throughout the entire book, Negi's father is referred to as the "Southern Master." This is definitely a major mistake (worthy of issuing a reprint for), since the correct name is "Thousand Master," since he knows a thousand spells, as Negi himself explained in volume 1.
Not to mention the fact England isn't in the south. I hope Del Rey has a good explanation for these mistakes...

Last edited by GyroidFanatic; 2004-10-10 at 12:18.
GyroidFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-10, 12:25   Link #263
USCPharmacist

God Damn? How you go from thousand to southern, and the fact that the name is in English is almost inexcusable.

I found another inexcusable mistake in vol. when Ku Fei says she uses Karate and that she belongs to Chinese Weapon Research Club. God damn stupid translator who know nothing about East Asian culture. First of all everyone who have half the brain reading the manga, even who doesn't know any japanese, can tell that Ku Fei is Chinese and that she use Kung Fu instead of Karate. Second, if the translator know his or her Kanji, will translate the phrase into Chinese martial art not Chinese weapon (did the translator just look up what each kanji means and make up a meaning out of them? wtf !!!)

I am disappoint at Del Rey's rediculusly blaten mistranslation. I thought one or two or even a dozen mistranslation on extremely difficult cultural references are fogivable. I know translation is very tough, especailly with Japanese. But something like "thousand master" and "Chinese Weapon" shows how sloppy Del Rey translator is. For those readers in the US who has no excess to the original they will be deceived to no end by Del Rey "accurate" translation.

I hope the series is still popular, though, so that Del Rey will make more of the books cuz I like the bigger size. It's easier to read. Actually it will be cool if they make a collector edition that is the same size as the megazine.
USCPharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-11, 20:33   Link #264
jarret

Wtf

OK OK whats all this about CD's and what not.. im so confused <_<
jarret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-11, 20:56   Link #265
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCPharmacist
God Damn? How you go from thousand to southern, and the fact that the name is in English is almost inexcusable.

I found another inexcusable mistake in vol. when Ku Fei says she uses Karate and that she belongs to Chinese Weapon Research Club. God damn stupid translator who know nothing about East Asian culture. First of all everyone who have half the brain reading the manga, even who doesn't know any japanese, can tell that Ku Fei is Chinese and that she use Kung Fu instead of Karate. Second, if the translator know his or her Kanji, will translate the phrase into Chinese martial art not Chinese weapon (did the translator just look up what each kanji means and make up a meaning out of them? wtf !!!)

I am disappoint at Del Rey's rediculusly blaten mistranslation. I thought one or two or even a dozen mistranslation on extremely difficult cultural references are fogivable. I know translation is very tough, especailly with Japanese. But something like "thousand master" and "Chinese Weapon" shows how sloppy Del Rey translator is. For those readers in the US who has no excess to the original they will be deceived to no end by Del Rey "accurate" translation.

I hope the series is still popular, though, so that Del Rey will make more of the books cuz I like the bigger size. It's easier to read. Actually it will be cool if they make a collector edition that is the same size as the megazine.

More reasons why more of these American companies should just contract me as a translator.

...not to offend you or anything, but you have several spelling mistakes in the above mentioned statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarret
OK OK whats all this about CD's and what not.. im so confused <_<
Character CDs have been coming out every month this year for "Mahou Sensei Negima." Interestingly, these CDs get high marks on Oricon weekly sales rankings, which is HIGHLY unusual for anime related CDs of such sort.

Official Starchild website for "Mahou Sensei Negima: Mahora Gakuen Chuutoubu 2-A" character CDs:
http://www.starchild.co.jp/special/negima/release.html

and before you ask, no I'm not going to translate the webpage for you.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-11, 22:32   Link #266
jarret

ooh

ooh i get it.. well sorta.. i mean whats on the CD's that make them so good? is it liken a negima anime that i missed soemhow?
Old 2004-10-11, 22:51   Link #267
LynnieS

Quote:
ooh i get it.. well sorta.. i mean whats on the CD's that make them so good? is it liken a negima anime that i missed soemhow?
Usually, the monthly CD includes a song (karoke and vocal) and a couple of voice samples from the actor for that month's character; four tracks are par for the course. First run's CDs come with the cards that people had posted images in earlier posts as well.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-12, 00:22   Link #268
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Mainly:

A. Because "Mahou Sensei Negima" itself is a very popular manga (interestingly, the fanbase is both male and female)

B. Otaku sub-culture of buying things with limited edition goodies (in this case: pactio cards)

C. Seiyuus

Out of which "normal" people buy this for reason A, while otakus like me buy them because of reasons B & C.
Old 2004-10-12, 00:44   Link #269
sarcasteak
WAHA~

The songs aren't that bad for some of them, but I also believe you get this Mahora student ID if you collect them all...many fans apparently find this to be very appealing. ^_^
sarcasteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-12, 01:52   Link #270
TrueKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
Because "Mahou Sensei Negima" itself is a very popular manga (interestingly, the fanbase is both male and female)
I dont get it. Why is it Harem mangas like these are even popular among female fans? Just like Ichigo 100 % (from my thin knowledge). They even previously hated Love Hina series. What, is it because the Harry Potter theme that's currently popular in Japan?
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-12, 02:12   Link #271
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueKnight
I dont get it. Why is it Harem mangas like these are even popular among female fans? Just like Ichigo 100 % (from my thin knowledge). They even previously hated Love Hina series. What, is it because the Harry Potter theme that's currently popular in Japan?
Because Negi is too darn cute!!
Old 2004-10-12, 21:28   Link #272
jarret

>_<

ooh.. ic. so in other words, its an attempt to get money, with something that adds nothing to the series itself..
Old 2004-10-14, 02:00   Link #273
USCPharmacist

That's what I get when I don't use spell check and try to type it late at night. Being non native speaker of English doesn't help.....well attending public American high school doesn't help either j/k.

BTW do you guys prefer Negima to become a serious fighting series, or serious romantic comedy better? Mr. A is treading a fine line by doing both in Negima. Personally I would like to see him pulls it off because no one has done it before, at least not to this extreme. On the other hand, I think it will be very difficult to have Negi "stayed in" school when the battles become serious. What do you guys think?

Spoiler:

Thousand "do" master vs. The Southern master ?
Old 2004-10-14, 08:40   Link #274
Divine Majin

Del Ray's translators and adaptors for Negima are getting worse and worse. I'd say sack them all and hire the meow team to do the translations.

The Tsubasa translations are way better though.
Divine Majin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-14, 22:52   Link #275
USCPharmacist

Something like Southern Master is inexcusable. Anyone doing a 5 mins search on any, I meant ANY fan site will have the correct name. Del Rey just confirm American to be the stupidest people on Earth. I, being an American, am ashame. I meant no matter how hard the Japanese language is, there is just no way anyone who is actually paying some attention would make a mistake like this. Did they hire some monkeys at the editors? Please Mr. Douglas Varenas, do your homework!!! Southern Master.....God

Volume 4 will be out in February. Hopefully they will proofread their works much more carefully. I don't want to see "Northern Master" this time around.
Old 2004-10-15, 01:29   Link #276
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCPharmacist
Something like Southern Master is inexcusable. Anyone doing a 5 mins search on any, I meant ANY fan site will have the correct name. Del Rey just confirm American to be the stupidest people on Earth. I, being an American, am ashame. I meant no matter how hard the Japanese language is, there is just no way anyone who is actually paying some attention would make a mistake like this. Did they hire some monkeys at the editors? Please Mr. Douglas Varenas, do your homework!!! Southern Master.....God

Volume 4 will be out in February. Hopefully they will proofread their works much more carefully. I don't want to see "Northern Master" this time around.

Or worse, instead of it being an honest mistake or just laziness, they intentionally did it to make the manga seem more "suitable" for American audiences.

Chinese Weapons Research? Are they trying to show off their support for the War on Terror or something? What are they on!?!?!

Seriously, Southern Master? I can now see Nagi talking in a southern drawl or something in the dubbed anime if it comes around.

Eh, don't mind me
Old 2004-10-15, 16:57   Link #277
Sydney2K

Send a message via ICQ to Sydney2K Send a message via AIM to Sydney2K Send a message via MSN to Sydney2K Send a message via Yahoo to Sydney2K
Negima Ahead forum

Sarcasteak,

what happened to the Negima Ahead forum? It seems to be down, I can't log into it.

Widya Santoso
Sydney2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-15, 20:14   Link #278
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney2K
Sarcasteak,

what happened to the Negima Ahead forum? It seems to be down, I can't log into it.
I think it died because of how konayuki quit scanslating (it was afterall created to distribute their scanslation). Check this forum instead for future scans by a different team, though I think this team will take even longer each chapter... >_<
Old 2004-10-16, 12:41   Link #279
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
[/QUOTE]
Quote:
[USCPharmacist]spoiler for anyone who hasn't read 69th hours yet
Ok,im at a loss here, may i ask where might i get chapter 62 plus and more?
Meow recently (like 2 weeks ago that is) just releashed chapter 61, intresting enough its quite intresting after chapter 40s or so.. but where might i get these later scans?

A link or so would be helpful
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-16, 13:10   Link #280
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai
Ok,im at a loss here, may i ask where might i get chapter 62 plus and more?
Meow recently (like 2 weeks ago that is) just releashed chapter 61, intresting enough its quite intresting after chapter 40s or so.. but where might i get these later scans?
Most of us (with the spoilers) don't read English scanslations; some reads raws while I personally read Chinese scanslation which is up to the latest chapter 70.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai
A link or so would be helpful
See my post above yours. ^_^;;

Tags
action, fantasy