Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2013-08-21, 18:49   Link #7121
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
But compare to VN, Western game rarely focus only on romance, and let be honest it's more acceptable from the culture pov for these protagonists to even swing between different heroines
The point is that they're games, and people play games differently. If someone plays dating sims for the aspect of companionship then replaying the game would understandably ruin it.

Just to give you a different take on those games, I'll share how I played them. I haven't played many dating sims, but when I did it wasn't for companionship, it was more to see what would happen. I'd play through giving responses that were honest to myself to see which character I'd end up with, but then I'd replay using different responses to see how the characters would respond and how the storyline would change. Sure, I could form attachments to the characters. I'd hesitate to say that my attachments were any more involved than the attachments that I would feel for characters in non-romance games, though.

I'm not judging anyone who gets very attached to characters in a dating sim, but if you reach the level of attachment that I'm thinking of, then discussing whether it's right to replay the game doesn't go far enough. Shouldn't we discuss whether it's acceptable to even play another dating simulator?

Again, ultimately they are games. There's no right or wrong way to play them.

I suppose the answer to your original question is that the issue isn't a major one among dating sim players (if it's ever been raised before), but it's interesting enough to discuss. Why not request that a moderator split this series of posts off into a new thread for people to discuss it?
Old 2013-08-21, 19:49   Link #7122
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
The point is that they're games, and people play games differently. If someone plays dating sims for the aspect of companionship then replaying the game would understandably ruin it.

Just to give you a different take on those games, I'll share how I played them. I haven't played many dating sims, but when I did it wasn't for companionship, it was more to see what would happen. I'd play through giving responses that were honest to myself to see which character I'd end up with, but then I'd replay using different responses to see how the characters would respond and how the storyline would change. Sure, I could form attachments to the characters. I'd hesitate to say that my attachments were any more involved than the attachments that I would feel for characters in non-romance games, though.

I'm not judging anyone who gets very attached to characters in a dating sim, but if you reach the level of attachment that I'm thinking of, then discussing whether it's right to replay the game doesn't go far enough. Shouldn't we discuss whether it's acceptable to even play another dating simulator?

Again, ultimately they are games. There's no right or wrong way to play them.

I suppose the answer to your original question is that the issue isn't a major one among dating sim players (if it's ever been raised before), but it's interesting enough to discuss. Why not request that a moderator split this series of posts off into a new thread for people to discuss it?
Nah, it should be OK. Don't think we have a lot of people playing LN to spark a long discuss anyway.

You missed a point i mentioned earlier through. I means if the game was set up as western RPG, where you control your own character, then it should not be a problem to try different routes, as essentially it will just like playing different games. Even extreme guy who want to look for an "eternal waifu" , doubt if he will just play one single game (and its sequence) the whole life.

But if the game was set up like a Japanese RPG game, where you control a certain character with a certain history/ background and personality. I will feel it kinda cheap for that guy to passionately propose to one heroine. Then in an alternative universe, propose to another heroine. I means i can't even pretend that he is a different guy each time

But yeah back to my original question. I guess that just mean most of LN player don't find the need to discuss much on these
Old 2013-08-23, 11:55   Link #7123
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
I am sure we all heard these quotes, "there are no stupid dreams" or "there no stupid questions" but how much of those are actually true?
Old 2013-08-23, 16:18   Link #7124
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
I am sure we all heard these quotes, "there are no stupid dreams" or "there no stupid questions" but how much of those are actually true?
Whether something is "stupid" or not is subjective. What truth is there in subjectivity?
Old 2013-08-23, 16:41   Link #7125
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
Quote:
Whether something is "stupid" or not is subjective.
As said, "stupid" is a very subjective word and everyone may see something as "stupid" from his/her own point of view.
Maybe what you were trying to say is that no dream or question is ever "unnecessary" or "without any meaning"?
Haiprbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-23, 22:46   Link #7126
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

I want -- nay, I need, eventually -- a new smartphone. Mine is an old hand-me-down HTC from when smartphones were new and dinosaurs still walked the planet. I'm even currently on a legacy T-Mobile prepaid, no internet plan with it, which is problematic because I get lost all. the. time. and google maps save lives. All my nine lives.

The question though, is, should I get the current Nexus 4 now, or wait for the new Nexus phone?

Note: I'm not prepared to pay top dollars + contract for soon-to-be obsolete Samsung Galaxy S4 or HTC One, or the sadly premium priced Moto X. And yes, Android please.

I also have a conference coming up late September, which means getting online with wi-fi is going to be beneficial at that point, but the current Nexus in the market is already a year old and the new one is rumored for Q4, I'm really torn. I was even contemplating getting a Lumia 520/1 to tide me through, except Windows Phone OS ain't got no apps and subpar google integration...

Truth is, I wanted to justify to myself to getting the Nexus 7 tablet, supposedly Best Android Tablet Evar, but since I can't use it as my phone without some serious hassle, and there's no real work need for it...
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-24, 05:19   Link #7127
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
The question though, is, should I get the current Nexus 4 now, or wait for the new Nexus phone?
Would it be OK if I give you the same pre-canned response I give to people who ask this question about iPhones, iPads, and Macbooks?

What it comes down to is this: there's always going to be something newer and better coming out. If you can afford to wait, then keep waiting. Newer is almost always better, and even if it isn't (or if it doesn't appeal to you) it drives the cost of the previous generation down. Thus it's win-win to wait... if you can wait. But having a phone in your hand right now, even if it's a generation old, beats not having one at all. The iPhone 4 and 4S (three and two years old, respectively) are still relevant today; I believe the Android phone you're talking about is newer than they are, so I doubt it'll be obsolete any time soon.

You've put up with the inconvenience of your current phone for this long; if you think it can last until the rumored release dates or afterward, then stay the course. Otherwise, I'd suggest upgrading now and not worrying about it. Even if you feel burned by the purchase, you'll be upgrading in a short 2-3 years again anyway!
Old 2013-08-24, 05:33   Link #7128
Skane
Anime Snark

That reminds me of the time I upgraded my phone to the Samsung Galaxy Ace (the first one, and still using now). My previous phone was a basic Nokia phone with no mp3 player, a LCD screen (no colour), no touchpad, etc... I only went to upgrade because I received a $50 android voucher from my phone service provider, so I thought it might be a good time as any.

My Nokia was apparently soooo outdated, the poor sales assistant couldn't find it in the drop-down menu and had to call a technician over the phone to manually insert it into the database. Also, because I hadn't done any upgrades at all since the dawn of my subscription, I accumulated so much loyalty points that I got the Android phone for free, without using the voucher...

The whole story was pretty hilarious. Cheers.
Old 2013-08-24, 05:53   Link #7129
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Addendum: if you upgrade on Skane's upgrade schedule, then wait for the new phone to be released.
Old 2013-08-24, 07:25   Link #7130
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
I want -- nay, I need, eventually -- a new smartphone. Mine is an old hand-me-down HTC from when smartphones were new and dinosaurs still walked the planet. I'm even currently on a legacy T-Mobile prepaid, no internet plan with it, which is problematic because I get lost all. the. time. and google maps save lives. All my nine lives.

Note: I'm not prepared to pay top dollars + contract for soon-to-be obsolete Samsung Galaxy S4 or HTC One, or the sadly premium priced Moto X. And yes, Android please.

I also have a conference coming up late September, which means getting online with wi-fi is going to be beneficial at that point, but the current Nexus in the market is already a year old and the new one is rumored for Q4, I'm really torn. I was even contemplating getting a Lumia 520/1 to tide me through, except Windows Phone OS ain't got no apps and subpar google integration...

Truth is, I wanted to justify to myself to getting the Nexus 7 tablet, supposedly Best Android Tablet Evar, but since I can't use it as my phone without some serious hassle, and there's no real work need for it...
I was wondering the same thing you are about two months back but turns out that I'm not regretting my purchase at all. I'd say go for it, the phone is a bargain on the spec/price analysis even without lte (I'm in Europe so for me it's basically irrelevant since hspda coverage is pretty good mostly everywhere). The only issue I have with the Nexus 4 is the size: it's just slightly too big for my hands. I thought the HTC One mini was going to be THE phone but they removed way too much features for it to be relevant for me.

Also when it comes to Nexus phones they tend to be supported for quite some time so there's no worry about being left out on software upgrades.

On the nexus 7: typing this post on my 2012 model right now. One of the best devices I've ever had and the new one seems to fix every major fault this one has so yeah, I wholeheartedly recommend one. Btw if you want something like the n7 that's also a phone Asus has the Fonepad: a 7" tablet that makes calls. I find it a bit silly to use as a phone but I can see the use case for people who want to use Bluetooth headsets and pair it to their car.
Old 2013-08-24, 13:00   Link #7131
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Would it be OK if I give you the same pre-canned response I give to people who ask this question about iPhones, iPads, and Macbooks?
Sure.

You're right -- if I can really wait, I might just as well wait. I buy a gadget so rarely (anything, really -- my car's also a hand-me-down beater nobody should be driving in) and I keep them for years, so I really, really want to minimize "starting point" obsolescence and enjoy it long term.

The substantial argument I had against that natural starving-student impulse is that I would find it very useful to have an actual effective wi-fi "smart" device to rely on during a professional conference I have to go to in late September, though I expect (hope?) that there will be enough free wi-fi spots around San Diego downtown that I would be able to get by. I *will* get lost, most likely more than once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
The whole story was pretty hilarious. Cheers.
I was genuinely interested in getting the Lumia 520/1, actually, but the Windows platform is a no-go. I'm staying with this one long term and the bets are on Android and iOS for platform longevity/maximizing "app" value.

And my first ever phone was one of those legendary invincible Nokia that survived the terror that was a young teenager's careless usage essentially intact. It was with grave sadness -- and moving to a new country -- that I finally left it behind. Also, Snakes!

If only Nokia gets serious about making Android phones (the next-next Nexus? lol).

And yeah, great story. And yes, I am on your upgrade schedule. XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
The only issue I have with the Nexus 4 is the size: it's just slightly too big for my hands. I thought the HTC One mini was going to be THE phone but they removed way too much features for it to be relevant for me.
Mm, same reason I'm not interested in the One Mini. Size-wise, I'd probably actually prefer the Mini as well.

I imagine I would be quite happy with the Nexus 4 as it currently is, but it's...so...close...to the new release (historically speaking). Oh the agony of indecision.

Quote:
On the nexus 7: typing this post on my 2012 model right now. One of the best devices I've ever had and the new one seems to fix every major fault this one has so yeah, I wholeheartedly recommend one.
The problem is, I never had a tablet all my life and I can't see integrating such a device to my daily usage in a way that would justify gadget bloat.

But it's super-attractive all the same. Dat price and dat features.

_____

Thank you everyone for the inputs and different viewpoints. I'll think on it -- plenty of time -- and maybe I'll come to a decision, but it is good to hear what people think.
Old 2013-08-24, 13:07   Link #7132
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

I dont think there is new nexus this year

i mean no new rumor indicates so. even if it is it just chip change

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-24, 13:10   Link #7133
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
The substantial argument I had against that natural starving-student impulse is that I would find it very useful to have an actual effective wi-fi "smart" device to rely on during a professional conference I have to go to in late September, though I expect (hope?) that there will be enough free wi-fi spots around San Diego downtown that I would be able to get by. I *will* get lost, most likely more than once.
If you upgrade very infrequently, then waiting makes the most sense. Having the "smart" capabilities of a "smartphone" is incredibly convenient, but it's not a requirement. I view the phone capabilities as a requirement, though, but your current phone is still working. I hate to think that you'll be getting lost, but... get lost one last time, and then upgrade

Quote:
The problem is, I never had a tablet all my life and I can't see integrating such a device to my daily usage in a way that would justify gadget bloat.
I was the same way. I figured that between a laptop and a smartphone, there was no point in a tablet. And yet my iPad Mini is probably my most-used device during the workweek... but I'd say that I have a legitimate usage for it now, whereas a year ago it might have been one of those "nice to have but not necessary" types of devices. I can't bring my computer around, and I can't create hand-written notes on my phone. Reading long articles is also painful and somewhat slow on the phone. (If I weren't entrenched in the iOS ecosystem I'd probably be using a Samsung Galaxy Note, but alas, I keep fumbling by with the capacitive styluses that are available...)

Maybe a purchase to think about in the future, post-student status
Old 2013-08-25, 02:20   Link #7134
HasuMasu
*Artist

Nokia 1616 represent, I can't stand touch-screens.
Old 2013-08-28, 03:27   Link #7135
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:

Google just dropped the price by 100 bucks. One the one hand it probably means that there may be some news of a replacement soon, on the other hand it's insanely cheap now for what is a bloody fantastic piece of kit.
Old 2013-08-28, 18:58   Link #7136
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

I just noticed.

Google, stop reading my forum posts. I understand the NSA already does that, but, come on. Don't you have any respect for...priva-...$200...Nexus...

*OK Google Now*

If anyone asks in court, they didn't give me a choice.
Old 2013-09-01, 01:12   Link #7137
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Not quite a question, but always felt that Irenicus is my other twin who is living half the globe away. As it's not my first time here in agreement with him either over certain issues or found similarity in our background circumstance....

Either way, sorry mate not trying to creep you out here. Have a dinosaur LG phone on prepaid here also, and past few weeks were pushed on by family to get a new phone. Have to agree with them because.... well.. i now need half screaming to get message across using this one. And suddenly, Nexus drop in price sounds like a really good deal instead. Still try to sort my mind on whether this is really essential need, or consumerism plot trying to break my firm resolution against them!!

Last edited by risingstar3110; 2013-09-01 at 01:31.
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-01, 10:14   Link #7138
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

A quick reminder of the thread guidelines:

Quote:
Rules for this thread:

1.- Only purposeful questions may be posted here. If anyone posts a pointless silly question it will be deleted and the poster may earn a warning and/or infraction.

2.- Only serious answers are allowed. Don't try to mock or insult anyone posting a question with your answers.

3.- No long discussion shall be tolerated here. This is a place for people to find answers.
Please do not try to use this thread looking for counselling or moral support.

Questions such as "Can I do this?", or "Should I do that?" do not have a clear answer and pretty much anyone checking the thread regulary can reply to.
Old 2013-09-03, 14:48   Link #7139
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
One of the main reasons why Mindy is Animaniacs annoying because she is curious who asks a lot question usually involving 'Why'. On a serious note, how do you defend against the 5 Whys? Does the Socratic Method work as a teaching tool?
Old 2013-09-04, 06:23   Link #7140
Joyce_Steele
Banned

What is the real difference between hime and oujo? Both mean "princess" in English but some of my friends said "hime" is for Japanese princesses and "oujo" is for non-Japanese princesses, especially Western ones. Is this true?
Joyce_Steele is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, q&a, serious