AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2009-05-12, 06:51   Link #19021
Kid Ying
Pon pon pon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
on another matter
i just watch the dubbed version of ep 18
gino is portreyed as a MUCH bigger dick when he tells her that her wish wont come true
kallen is portreyed as wanting to fight him
and suzaku's clearly not letting him face kallen becouse he doesnt think he could handle her

its just the dub, but since it supports what i have been saying since day one about that ep, i figured i would point it out
Well, Gino was not that great to begin with and Kallen got the guren seiten, so i think Suzaku was just being realistic, hehe. If with the Albion, that is a mecha with lower spechs, Suzaku pwned Gino BADLY, Kallen would have killed him for certain in that fight.
Kid Ying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-12, 11:25   Link #19022
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
its just the dub, but since it supports what i have been saying since day one about that ep, i figured i would point it out
Okay, not one to go off topic, but "it's just the dub"? Oh sure, what do a bunch of professional anime licensers know compared to a bunch of otakus. Also, if you don't think that highly of the dub maybe you shouldn't use it to back your claims. You can't just select key bits to support your position just when it's convenient for you.

But yeah, I mean Kallen almost killed Suzaku in that episode, so it's pretty safe to say Gino wouldn't stand a chance.
Nobodyman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-12, 11:33   Link #19023
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodyman9 View Post
Okay, not one to go off topic, but "it's just the dub"? Oh sure, what do a bunch of professional anime licensers know compared to a bunch of otakus. Also, if you don't think that highly of the dub maybe you shouldn't use it to back your claims. You can't just select key bits to support your position just when it's convenient for you.

But yeah, I mean Kallen almost killed Suzaku in that episode, so it's pretty safe to say Gino wouldn't stand a chance.
not really what i was trying to say
there are two main theory about that praticular scene in regards to kallen and suzaku
1)suzaku is saying that he has to be the one to fight kallen becouse SHE wouldnt let him pass the buck to gino anyway (possibly becouse of the refrain thing)
2)suzaku is saying "your not good enough gino" so he has to fight her, which is removes any vendeta from the picture, and makes it seem that kallen ALSO wants to take gino out
the dub seems to support the 2nd option

P.S
its just a dub means "they have been known to be wrong, or to change things becouse they feel like it"
Old 2009-05-12, 11:43   Link #19024
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
not really what i was trying to say
there are two main theory about that praticular scene in regards to kallen and suzaku
1)suzaku is saying that he has to be the one to fight kallen becouse SHE wouldnt let him pass the buck to gino anyway (possibly becouse of the refrain thing)
2)suzaku is saying "your not good enough gino" so he has to fight her, which is removes any vendeta from the picture, and makes it seem that kallen ALSO wants to take gino out
the dub seems to support the 2nd option

P.S
its just a dub means "they have been known to be wrong, or to change things becouse they feel like it"
All right fine. So I guess this proves that Suzaku fought Kallen because Gino wasn't good enough? Whatever. Anyway, fansubs have been known to be wrong as well. But I do sympathize with the fact that they change things because they feel like it (I am a One Piece fan after all)
Old 2009-05-12, 11:46   Link #19025
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

fansubs can be wrong, but they translate the original japanese statements wrong
the dub, on the other hand tends to take libreties with the script and simply make up their own version
thats why i usually dont give it too much importence
Old 2009-05-12, 12:03   Link #19026
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
fansubs can be wrong, but they translate the original japanese statements wrong
the dub, on the other hand tends to take libreties with the script and simply make up their own version
thats why i usually dont give it too much importence
Well, believe it or not, this is an art to dubbing. I mean, it would be simple to translate the script verbatim and then having the VAs just read if off. But no, they have to reword and structure the script in order to make it sound natural and lip synch it properly and convey the right emotions. True, for there are some changes, but for the most the script is left intact and they certainly wouldn't leave out anything that is vitally important to the story (unless it's 4kids). But this is kind of OT, so I guess we can just write this off as a difference of opinion if you wish.
Old 2009-05-12, 14:20   Link #19027
yvj
U Mad?

I'm confused I've looked through the last two pages and I have no idea what Blade and Nobody are arguing about. And since it seems to have riled Nobody up I'd like to find out
Old 2009-05-12, 14:26   Link #19028
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvj View Post
I'm confused I've looked through the last two pages and I have no idea what Blade and Nobody are arguing about. And since it seems to have riled Nobody up I'd like to find out
They're talking about Suzaku's line in dubbed 18 about Kallen not being someone Gino can play around with, implying that Gino is not good enough to handle her, whereas the sub implies that Suzaku thinks Kallen won't let him defer the battle to Gino.

The resulting argument is which one is right.
Old 2009-05-12, 14:31   Link #19029
yvj
U Mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbosfist View Post
They're talking about Suzaku's line in dubbed 18 about Kallen not being someone Gino can play around with, implying that Gino is not good enough to handle her, whereas the sub implies that Suzaku thinks Kallen won't let him defer the battle to Gino.

The resulting argument is which one is right.
Why?

The bottom line is that both implications can been seen as being pretty much on the ball.

I will say this. I've never fully trusted a dub since I laid eyes upon Cardcaptor Sakura.
Old 2009-05-12, 14:38   Link #19030
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
Why?

The bottom line is that both implications can been seen as being pretty much on the ball.

I will say this. I've never fully trusted a dub since I laid eyes upon Cardcaptor Sakura.
Well, granted the reasons behind Suzaku's statement differ, but at the end of the day he pretty much is saying "Back off Gino. This bitch is mine." Not that it was a very poignant line or anything.
Old 2009-05-12, 14:43   Link #19031
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

the difference is
1)is suzaku facing kallen becouse he doesnt have a choice (she would attack him) ?
2)or is he doing it by choice becouse he doesnt believe gino can do it ?
it matters becouse it sets kallen's mindframe as well
is she "payback time suzaku" or is she "move over so i can kill the blond guy"
which is another nice dog-shit bullet between the eyes of a certain ship

and the dub REALLY makes gino come off as a dick both eps 18 with his "dream wont come true" line
and 17, where he calls her a hybrid, which almost sounds like he means being half eleven means being only half human
Old 2009-05-12, 14:50   Link #19032
yvj
U Mad?

Quote:
the difference is
1)is suzaku facing kallen becouse he doesnt have a choice (she would attack him) ?

and the dub REALLY makes gino come off as a dick both eps 18 with his "dream wont come true" line
and 17, where he calls her a hybrid, which almost sounds like he means being half eleven means being only half human
I see, I see. I get it now.

Still we don't really need more bullets into the Kagino corpse so nothing really hangs in the balance in between these two arguments.

Personally though due to past experience I usually trust the subs over the dubs.
Old 2009-05-12, 14:52   Link #19033
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

Quote:
the difference is

Both are technically true. If Kallen fought Gino, Suzaku would try to fight Zero, and Kallen would kill him. Suzaku's also too confident in his own superiority (notice how he mentions in Turn 6 that Kallen beat Orange, not that she is a match for Suzaku himself), so he doesn't believe Gino is up to it, which is why he gets his ass kicked instead of listening to Lloyd and Cecile.

Gino comes off as a dick no matter how you translate it, because he's telling her that she chose wrong and she'd be better off as a Britannian, then crushing her dreams when she indirectly denies him.
Old 2009-05-12, 14:54   Link #19034
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

trust me on this
MUCH BIGGER DICK in the dubs
Old 2009-05-12, 15:03   Link #19035
incorrupts
Banned

Send a message via MSN to incorrupts
Quote:
trust me on this
MUCH BIGGER DICK in the dubs

Do not generalize. Yes, dubs can be "gtfo, i can do better" at times, but some others, are good-quality ones. Geass, falls in the second category.

About Gino, no matter dub/translation w/e, the guy was a prick on that moment, that is obvious to any eye. Thus, i always wanted Kallen to smash his pretty face back on that epi, but alas.
incorrupts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-12, 15:14   Link #19036
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

even more like it in ep 17
he really sounds like an ass
"hey look, i understand that your a britannian eleven halfbreed right ?"
"if you chose the name stadfeld instead of kouzuki you could very well have a good life"
"you could even become a knight of rounds if you have such ambitions"
"is this going somewhere"
"what i mean is, wouldnt you like to come over to our side kallen" (with that annoying smile on)

i swear that it sounds even more annoying then it did before
i dont know if this is ignorance or condecention, or a mix of both maybe
Old 2009-05-12, 20:24   Link #19037
incorrupts
Banned

Lol, i just have to post this, but have any of you guys joined LJ?

http://community.livejournal.com/fan...45.html#cutid1

109, 116, 138. Honest, what? lol //i get a feeling, that all of those people are from here.
Old 2009-05-12, 20:53   Link #19038
yvj
U Mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by incorrupts View Post
Lol, i just have to post this, but have any of you guys joined LJ?

http://community.livejournal.com/fan...45.html#cutid1

109, 116, 138. Honest, what? lol //i get a feeling, that all of those people are from here.
Spoiler for Epicness:
Old 2009-05-12, 20:56   Link #19039
incorrupts
Banned

Quote:
Spoiler for Epicness:

What i do not get, is why they posted on the fandom secrets comm, since it is supposed to be "fandom-secret." Everyone knows, that Kalulu is mostly being hated, same with Kallen fans that are being labeled as aggressive. Oh wait, yeah, it is not supposed to be the same posters from here, it is ~~LJ~~

Well, imma reply, especially to 116 {Mary Sue what? lol} and 138, lol.
Old 2009-05-12, 21:03   Link #19040
yvj
U Mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by incorrupts View Post

What i do not get, is why they posted on the fandom secrets comm, since it is supposed to be "fandom-secret." Everyone knows, that Kalulu is mostly being hated, same with Kallen fans that are being labeled as aggressive. Oh wait, yeah, it is not supposed to be the same posters from here, it is ~~LJ~~

Well, imma reply, especially to 116 {Mary Sue what? lol} and 138, lol.
LOL some secret XD. The only reason its posted on that is so no one can trace who wrote it and they do it anonymously.

I can't tell you how much I laughed at this. You can feel the pain from the posts