Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-03-11, 09:25   Link #1401
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by leokiko View Post
LOLWUT?

After building up and explaining the technology and how everything works, I thought there would be some awesome battles, but now there is no tension since everything is gonna be fine for everyone?!
No offense but how does tension = awesome battles?

Besides, the plot's not that strong. This series has always been carried by the characters. I'd always find the argument that the series needs danger to be successful quite lacking. You can have decent emotion investment in the characters without them close to dying or contracting terminal illness or other forms of forced dramatization. This and Horizon from last season are one of my favorites in anime as well as Crest/Banner of the Stars back in the days. One thing they have all in comment (besides obviously all sci-fi) is that characters are all fascinating in the sense that you just want to see them on screening "doing stuff"; they don't need to be piercing the heaven or doing orgasmic gattai (though that would be bonuses) and I would still want to watch them.

As a fan of Lagrange as well, I must say Marika still takes the cake for the best heroine of the season. You really don't find characters that are decisive, intelligent, and so bloody handsome nowadays. Throw in some blushing and fuafua faces and you have super fun character that is just extremely likable.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 09:28   Link #1402
leokiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunagisa View Post
No offense but how does tension = awesome battles?

Besides, the plot's not that strong. This series has always been carried by the characters. I'd always find the argument that the series needs danger to be successful quite lacking. You can have decent emotion investment in the characters without them close to dying or contracting terminal illness or other forms of forced dramatization. This and Horizon from last season are one of my favorites in anime as well as Crest/Banner of the Stars back in the days. One thing they have all in comment (besides obviously all sci-fi) is that characters are all fascinating in the sense that you just want to see them on screening "doing stuff"; they don't need to be piercing the heaven or doing orgasmic gattai (though that would be bonuses) and I would still want to watch them.

As a fan of Lagrange as well, I must say Marika still takes the cake for the best heroine of the season. You really don't find characters that are decisive, intelligent, and so bloody handsome nowadays. Throw in some blushing and fuafua faces and you have super fun character that just extremely likable.
In Banner of the Stars, they could die at any time there, and you obviously knows what happened by the end so, tension in battles DOES add up for more awesomeness, SPECIALLY if you like the characters, which is the case here. Also, read the rest of my post, I'm still enjoying this a lot, but not expecting it to get serious any time soon. Just more Marika awesomeness, thank you. Madoka is much less interesting than her.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 12:21   Link #1403
gaiar31

Moretsu Uchuu Kaizoku - Blue Ray Vol.1:

Spoiler:

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2012-03-11 at 13:48. Reason: Remember, this title is LICENSED.
gaiar31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 12:32   Link #1404
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaiar31 View Post

Spoiler:
I really don't see the difference between this scene during airing and on BD because in either version you can still see her pantsu...

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2012-03-11 at 13:49.
Dark Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 13:46   Link #1405
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
I really don't see the difference between this scene during airing and on BD because in either version you can still see her pantsu...
You just have to be looking very closely, or playing it at a very slow speed, because they're onscreen for only a fraction of a second.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 18:16   Link #1406
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Where's did her parfait go?
Old 2012-03-11, 18:33   Link #1407
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

She's a fast eater. Gotta be when you're a pirate, you never know when action will happen.

Endless "Scarf that food" Soul
Old 2012-03-11, 18:37   Link #1408
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

She'd couldn't have scarfed down the cup and spoon as well, could she?
Old 2012-03-11, 18:38   Link #1409
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The gun is big enough to have a place to store it.
Old 2012-03-11, 18:53   Link #1410
00Coyote

As to where she keeps such a big flash/flare gun.

She keeps it where any decently endowed girl keeps dangerous things...
Spoiler:
00Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 19:08   Link #1411
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I was thinking about when she was playing Pirate Captain in the most recent episode.
Old 2012-03-11, 20:05   Link #1412
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
She'd couldn't have scarfed down the cup and spoon as well, could she?
She kept it safe in order to finish it after the fight.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 21:11   Link #1413
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Catching up since I had watched it Saturday night, but then got too busy to post my thoughts on it. It will be interesting to see if there will be any Chiaki-chan or Marika cosplayers around in the conventions this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I could see the SOS-dan playing this off for laughs in a parody.

While Harahi is a given, Yuki playing up the role would be golden. No one would take Mikuru seriously unless she started spraying beams all over the room.
Oh yes, I can also see that. Haruhi would be "give me all your gold or I'll release the Gunda*s". Yuki would say in her normal deadpan manner "I will now be receiving your golden trinkets and pretty shiny carbon trinkets. All the data on this vessel is now under my jurisdiction. Ufu fu fu fu". Although Yuki would probably give Coorie quite a challenge since Yuki is a God-level hacker.

I do suppose the KyoAni Empire though would certainly look at the latest Order of the Lotus member Chiaki-chan, Master of the Parfait, as a threat. Certainly the Order looks to be the dominant power in moe wars, doesn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
If Chiaki gets a spinoff, its not the first time a HanaKana character hijacked a series from the main character. I support this motion with monies!

And good that this episode came along, I was starting to run out of inspiration to write Traders!
A lot of the time, the most popular character isn't the main character. Yuki Nagato is more popular than Haruhi for instance, and way more popular among Japanese fans than Kyon is(Lucky Star referenced this). I wouldn't compare Marika with Kirino either(you are refering to how Kuroneko is more popular than her, right?). Although HanaKana characters seem to be quite popular across fandoms(Tenshi/Kanade, Kuroneko, Charlotte, Koboto, Nadeko).

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassingby View Post
^ Kunka kunka

And Vol 8 appears to be delayed until April, to make way for Vampire Hunter D and other novels. It will be published together with Space Battleship Yamamoto Yohko 10 and Bubblegum Crisis
Light novel delays are never fun. I am still hoping that Baka Tsuki will be able to translate, but they seem busy with other projects(I suppose the KyoAni hype factor is why they're going to translate the Hyouka series. I still have my doubts about it coming anywhere close to other KyoAni works that aren't Nichijou in terms of sales.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Coyote View Post
So, I'm rewatching this series from the start, and one thing that has always bothered me is...

The mighty Pirate Captain Kato Gonzaemon, died of food poisoning.

Just how BAD of a doctor is Misa?
Her doctor skills at least have to be better than her driving. At least I hope so, she can't be the Mouretsuverse equivalent of Dr. Nick Riviera(from the Simpsons)
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 21:37   Link #1414
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Coyote View Post
So, I'm rewatching this series from the start, and one thing that has always bothered me is...

The mighty Pirate Captain Kato Gonzaemon, died of food poisoning.

Just how BAD of a doctor is Misa?
Or the captain was literally poisoned. It's not like there's a universal antidote for poisoning.
Old 2012-03-11, 21:51   Link #1415
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Someone should totally broadcast Chiaki's act over the galaxy....
Old 2012-03-12, 00:00   Link #1416
Shimapan
Try me! <3

Chiaki doing the pirating was just so much win, and she*'s really enjoying herself, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Though, won't some people wonder why "Captain Marika" looks different ("a redhead?") next time she happens to raid one of the same liners Chiaki just did?
I doubt very much Marika pirates the same liners again and again... those are always different ones.
I really can't imagine something like, "Hello Liner X, welcome to your monthly raid by Marika!" XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaiar31 View Post

Spoiler:
Your point being? You could already see them in the TV version. Or can you admire them for a longer time now?

Now if there are any pantsu added in other episodes, now that would be a sight to behold!
It could be they just had the cast iron skirts in the TV version just so they have a sales argument for the Brulay, where you'll see properly moving skirts and pantsu!
Old 2012-03-12, 04:03   Link #1417
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Yes, Marika is waaaaaaaaaay better than Kirino, that's why I was more ambivalent of Chiaki hijacking Pirates than Kuroneko hijacking Imoutos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Someone should totally broadcast Chiaki's act over the galaxy....
Plot idea!

*pursues, steals and hijacks this idea, LIKE A PIRATE*
Old 2012-03-12, 14:59   Link #1418
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
And Marika as Han Solo? I dunno how to take that.
Yeah, not sure how to take that either. At least there is a little chance of her being turned into a block of carbonite. Obviously, Gruelle would be Leia but then who would be Luke? And just who would be Lando?

At least one thing that Marika has in common with Han is that they both shot first.

Certainly though, next week's episode should be interesting with the introduction of Grunhilde, and it looks like the Bentenmaru has found the "ghost ship".
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-12, 15:15   Link #1419
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

if Marika was Solo....

Well....would Chiaki be Lando? She did look like she was having fun playing a con on that Cruise Liner. Or Mimi. She her seems cheerful, but might be a scoundrel with the dirt she's digging on people. Mimi seems more the gambler, con man type than Chiaki. But Chiaki is the pirate.

(Does that make Chiaki, Chewbacca? If she's actually loyal to Marika? No Life Debt yet....naw.)

I can guess Grunhilde for Luke.

But only if it is Marika as Solo. She doesn't seem like Solo...she's not cocky enough, nor does she have the sarcasm thing going yet.
Old 2012-03-12, 18:33   Link #1420
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

She's not bickering with Gruier, or Grunhilde either.

I suppose Marika is Wedge.

Tags
light novel adaptation, science fiction, seinen, yuri