AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

View Poll Results: Kanon - 2006 - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 54 31.21%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 51 29.48%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 43 24.86%
7 out of 10 : Good 19 10.98%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 2.89%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.58%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-10-07, 02:02   Link #61
suguru
京都 ikitai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post
Well there's also the change with Nayuki not giving Kyuichi a can of coffee during the opening. However I am not really bothered by that. I agree with you about Nayuki being ... somehow on a faster tempo than before.
I actually prefer the Kyoani, faster Nayuki--the Toei version of Nayuki was slow almost to the point of life-is-like-a-box-of-chocolates slow...it's a fine line to walk. I remember people when the Toei version coming out complaining that Nayuki's story got shafted, so I'm looking forward to what Kyoani does with her story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
I hear ya. I live in San Diego myself. Snow is a foreign word in my dictionary.
If it ever did snow in San Diego...aside from being a sign of the coming of the apocalypse, the whole city would probably shut down
Old 2006-10-07, 02:24   Link #62
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diedrupo View Post
Sounds like you just have plain bad taste in anime. The Naruto threads are thattaway
I don't think that's called for.

In the interests of full disclosure, no, I don't really think it's called for either to post in a thread/subforum about a series if you know that you're not going to like the series because of personal taste. But it's never constructive to meet insult with insult.

People have different tastes. I don't think it's a matter of good/bad.
Old 2006-10-07, 02:45   Link #63
Lost

Ah, chin of death, I see. The animation has definitely gotten a huge facelift then.
Old 2006-10-07, 02:52   Link #64
Owaranai Destiny
Nick of Time~

Send a message via AIM to Owaranai Destiny Send a message via MSN to Owaranai Destiny
Looks like the first episode most certainly didn't disappoint, especially since I'm completely new to Kanon. The settings look good, as do the artwork. Well, after one episode, I can't say much yet, but its certainly going on my 'to watch' list with a few others.

Side note: "Uguu", eh? That might get a little stuck in my head for a while. I certainly wasn't ready to see how well the characters were being drawn, to say the least.
Old 2006-10-07, 03:12   Link #65
Kamui4356
Aria Company

A solid first episode, getting a well deserved 8.

KyoAni certainly didn't disappoint when it came to animation. One has to wonder how they manage to turn out such consistantly high quality works.

I have to say, I like how Nayuki and Ayu were portrayed so far. I agree with suguru that Nayuki was too slow in the previous version. As for Ayu, well... let's talk about that later for the sake of the people who aren't familiar with the story.

Anyway, I'm expecting great things from this series, and from the looks of the first episode, it just might live up to them.
Old 2006-10-07, 04:27   Link #66
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
That was beautiful. Animation was superb, and I loved the voice acting - for those who said that Sugita Tomokazu isn't doing a good job at Yuuichi... I point you to the scene where he and Nayaki encounter Kaori and Kitawa. I felt Yuuichi there quite strongly. And again, when he was teasing Ayu about the constant 'Uguu's'.

Points of love:

The advertisement on the side of the bus for Misuzu's favourite drink. I'm hoping there'll be another AIR cameo, though my gut says nothing more overt than that... still, it was highly enjoyed.

Kanon D-dur (Pachelbel). How I laughed when they entered the café, Ayu's long story was explained, and the strains of the Kanon D-dur violin quartet were heard, and then evolved into the orchestra. It made me ever so happy.

Shot of Ayu staring over her shoulder after discovering her wings. Gorgeous.

The snapshot-style crash of Ayu into Yuuichi. Absoloutely loved it.

Overall, episode gets a nine out of ten - loses its point due to the jerky transitions at the start, especially those before the OP theme. The jerk from the train to Yuuichi at on the bench, and then the zoom in and out on Nayuki's face? A bit jarring. Some of the dream transitions following were a bit odd, but the rest of the episode was incredible.

Countdown for next week has started.

-Andiyar
Old 2006-10-07, 05:09   Link #67
katsumi
ghostly member

Not knowing either game nor the Toei Kanon, I absolutely liked this first episode. The animation is really wonderful and I liked the pacing of the first episode. I guess those few hints about the past (Yuuichi doesn't seem to remember too much from his last visit 7 years ago. Oh, and that dream mentioned by the girls' off voice..) just was it, what got me intrigued during the episode, because the rest was more like slice-of-life. Ah, but don't get me wrong, I also like those aspects

And ~uguu really really got me. The backpack scene was just too cute!

Throughout the first episode I always had Kyon in mind when Yuuichi was talking . Well, I guess that was another reason why i liked the first epi

I'm curious about the next episodes and if the animation will stay on this level throughout the whole series. I'm crossing my fingers!!!
Old 2006-10-07, 05:12   Link #68
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by andiyar View Post
The snapshot-style crash of Ayu into Yuuichi. Absoloutely loved it.
it wasnt a crash...yuuichi literally got spearheaded in his gut anyone whos seen the utawarerumono special ep with aruru would find this especially funny

after a few rewatches im in love with ~uguu

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2006-10-07, 05:14   Link #69
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Yea, it makes me extra glad that Kyuichi's not holding anything in... or he'd be heading to the hospital that Nayuki pointed out to him.

Spoiler for bombshell of a spoiler:

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Last edited by xris; 2006-10-07 at 11:51. Reason: Please make sure you clearly mark game spoilers!
Old 2006-10-07, 05:32   Link #70
Owaranai Destiny
Nick of Time~

Send a message via AIM to Owaranai Destiny Send a message via MSN to Owaranai Destiny
Quote:
Yea, it makes me extra glad that Kyuichi's not holding anything in... or he'd be heading to the hospital that Nayuki pointed out to him.

Spoiler for bombshell of a spoiler:
Some spoiler. Oh well, this degree of spoiling is good for us first-timers for Kanon. Thanks for the information.

Speaking of spoilers, I also liked how the previews don't show much, but separated clips of what will happen in the next episode. Quite a nice arrangment.
Old 2006-10-07, 06:00   Link #71
The Sphinx

Quote:
I noticed something a little similar there...

The same paver pattern is also used in the Fumoffu OP.
Old 2006-10-07, 08:23   Link #72
Kisuke06
I see...

I just watched the first episode. It was very good, the feeling of winter is amazing, KyoAni just rock.
Old 2006-10-07, 08:31   Link #73
luckyovermind
hungry~

KyoAni is excellent at bringing back memories, I was even shocked a little when I hear "2 steps forward" again.

Ah, the good old days...

The "Uguu" wasn't as good as it used to be though ... I think ... I'm not sure ... couldn't remember clearly ...
Old 2006-10-07, 09:31   Link #74
DanielSong39

Watched the first episode, and I must admit that I'm a bit... underwhelmed. It wasn't bad per say, but it failed to leave a mark. I'm feeling a case of deja vu - both from AIR and from Suzumiya Haruhi. Some remarks:

- Stunning graphics.

Excellect attention to detail. Once again, the animators at Kyoto Animations outdo themselves. This is like watching AIR on steriods. With that said...

- Characters.

Well, looks like we have AIR on steroids once again, but not in a good way. The Toei version may have been inferior technically but managed to generate distinctive, entertaining characters. KyoAni does not. Kyuichi seems like a one-trick pony who can't display any emotion other than cool sarcasm. Nayuki is incredibly generic. And while Ayu is less annoying, she, too, can't seem to break out of the shell. If this was done with the intent with creating subtle characterizations - I missed it.

Plotting/screenplay.

Could be better. This work seems to share a critical flaw with Suzumiya Haruhi - too much monologuing. They could use the advice given by my grade-school teacher: "show, not tell."

Music.

I feel this episode could've used more music; it would've been nice if they used imagery and music to convey certain moods instead of relying on Kyuichi's monologues.

Overall.

While far from poor, it was unable to generate more than a "meh" reaction from me, despite the eye candy. It was not unlike watching a summer blockbuster: plenty of great special effects, but what else does it have? It's certainly watchable but not as fun to watch as say, the first episode Canvas 2, which had decidedly inferior visuals but at least drew me in with a promising story. Still too early to give up on the show, but it looks unlikely that it will go beyond the "mediocre-to-good" category.
Old 2006-10-07, 10:29   Link #75
radister
Back and Alive! i think!?

wacthed the frist ep a few hours ago, and loved it!
brings back so much memorys of the orignal
i think the chracters look alot better this time around and i also think the background are great.
the music is top of the line for me and as for the entire first ep i found it amazing.
only thing im not to sure about is....
nope, i can't disagree with anything.

Uguu, spin spin ayu!!
i also love the ED music
Old 2006-10-07, 10:41   Link #76
Incoan
Jinuar Mumbir

Send a message via ICQ to Incoan Send a message via MSN to Incoan
As someone who knows nearly nothing about Kanon, the episode left me with a wide smile on my face. That alone makes me look forward to the future episodes.

BTW The scene where Yuuchi is dragging Ayu makes me remember of that constantly abused bunny girl Mikuru from SHnY.
Old 2006-10-07, 10:47   Link #77
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incoan View Post
BTW The scene where Yuuchi is dragging Ayu makes me remember of that constantly abused bunny girl Mikuru from SHnY.
*shock* made me think that ayu = young mikuru

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2006-10-07, 10:59   Link #78
musouka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diedrupo View Post
Sounds like you just have plain bad taste in anime. The Naruto threads are thattaway
Whoa, wait, what?

::sigh:: This is what I hate about anime adaptations of Key stuff; everyone thinks they're beyond even reasonable criticism. As I said in my earlier post, it might be too soon to make judgements on the entire series, but it's not particularly insulting to point out that the female characters thus far don't even remotely act like how fifteen/sixteen year old girls would act. I swear, take ten years away from Key's girls and then you have their real ages...
Old 2006-10-07, 11:32   Link #79
Darklightz
Wagering his life...

Incredible.All the good story and cuteness of the original combined with the great animation and sound of today.Seeing Nayuki go after the fox and Ayu spinning around to see her wings was just so funny!
I loved every bit of it and am looking forward to the next epsiodes

I also loved how they allowed us a quick peek at characters like Saiyuri and Shiori,who later become significant characters in the story
Old 2006-10-07, 11:48   Link #80
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Ayu's "uguu" is stuck in my head. Everytime I'm thinking of something..the word "uguu" pops out
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Closed Thread