AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-04-06, 16:59   Link #27361
konart

Yey!! Russia is on the list! We made it!
Old 2013-04-06, 17:00   Link #27362
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by konart View Post
I don't think you should be proud of where you're on the list though.

America is at 6, so I guess that makes us pretty average.
Old 2013-04-06, 17:50   Link #27363
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

That's the full list? The lowest ranked is quite past the median though? Does this mean all countries is generally friendly towards foreigners?
Old 2013-04-06, 19:35   Link #27364
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
That's the full list? The lowest ranked is quite past the median though? Does this mean all countries is generally friendly towards foreigners?
Mind, you do have to remember this is measuring how much people SAY they are welcome to foreigners in their country. It's not actually a measurement of how friendly they actually are.

I mean, this list puts France and Japan as about even in terms of their reception to foreign visitors...despite the fact that France quite often tops lists on rudest countries for foreigners, and Japan is regarded as being extremely polite.

Mind, It's even more complex than that. Especially with culture. In Japan, politeness tends to be applied to even people you find boorish, where as many Parisians have no qualms about being quite rough verbally even with people they like. So you can have a Frenchman and a Japanese man with the exact same opinion about foreigners, but they express it differently.
Old 2013-04-06, 20:07   Link #27365
ChainLegacy
廉頗

I found Costa Ricans to be very friendly when I visited. I also thought the Mayans of the Yucatan seemed like a friendly group to outsiders.

Funny that Iceland and New Zealand take the top spots because those are two places I'd really like to visit.
Old 2013-04-06, 20:12   Link #27366
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Visiting New Zealand is also part of my once-in-a-lifetime projects, mind you.

I'm just surprised Japan fell that far back, though.
Old 2013-04-06, 20:22   Link #27367
AnimeFan188

BitTorrent Site IsoHunt Demands Jury Trial:

"The operator of the popular file-sharing service isoHunt is demanding a federal
appeals court grant it a jury trial, two weeks after the court declared it a massive
copyright scofflaw and said it’s on the hook for what could be millions of dollars in
damages payable to Hollywood studios.

A three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled against Gary Fung
and said the Motion Picture Association of America automatically won on the merits
of the case, without a trial. The decision marked the first time a federal appeals
court had ruled against a BitTorrent search engine."

See:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...demands-trial/
Old 2013-04-06, 20:24   Link #27368
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
Visiting New Zealand is also part of my once-in-a-lifetime projects, mind you.

I'm just surprised Japan fell that far back, though.
Heh, if I have the money and time I'd like to travel to any country, really, no matter how unfriendly... as long as I'm not being shot at . Visiting different cultures and areas is one of the most amazing experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
BitTorrent Site IsoHunt Demands Jury Trial:

"The operator of the popular file-sharing service isoHunt is demanding a federal
appeals court grant it a jury trial, two weeks after the court declared it a massive
copyright scofflaw and said it’s on the hook for what could be millions of dollars in
damages payable to Hollywood studios.

A three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled against Gary Fung
and said the Motion Picture Association of America automatically won on the merits
of the case, without a trial. The decision marked the first time a federal appeals
court had ruled against a BitTorrent search engine."

See:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...demands-trial/
That seems very unusual to me; they won without a trial? If a mass shooter that people openly saw commit the act gets a trial, why doesn't a copyright infringement case? Is this more common than I'm aware of? Seems like cronyism at its finest.
Old 2013-04-06, 21:23   Link #27369
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

45? :/ Well, at least we are over the UK, Spain, Egypt, Israel, Japan, Italy, France, Germany, Chile, Colombia, USA, China & Rusia (which are countries I would like to visit)
Old 2013-04-06, 21:28   Link #27370
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogon_bat View Post
45? :/ Well, at least we are over the UK, Spain, Egypt, Israel, Japan, Italy, France, Germany, Chile, Colombia, USA, China & Rusia (which are countries I would like to visit)
DO try to keep in mind though that there's only like, a 6% difference between Mexico and the highest rated country on the list Iceland.
Old 2013-04-06, 22:15   Link #27371
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Kansas set to enact life-starts-"at fertilization" abortion law
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...93501220130406
Old 2013-04-06, 23:27   Link #27372
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Singapore friendly towards foreigners? How did this...............

Oh I forgot. You foreigners have money. No wonder our fellow citizens are so friendly to you.
Really meh? This thing talk cock one lah...

Honestly SG people will say anything to stoke their own ego and a poll where SG is in top 10 for friendliness to foreigners cannot be trusted

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
is Singaporean dont like fellow Singaporean ?
More like don't like anyone not yourself...<_<
Old 2013-04-06, 23:30   Link #27373
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Singapore friendly towards foreigners? How did this...............

Oh I forgot. You foreigners have money. No wonder our fellow citizens are so friendly to you.

Old 2013-04-06, 23:53   Link #27374
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Really meh? This thing talk cock one lah...

Honestly SG people will say anything to stoke their own ego and a poll where SG is in top 10 for friendliness to foreigners cannot be trusted

More like don't like anyone not yourself...<_<
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
You should go out and work around. In fact, in places where it is highly saturated with foreigners, Singaporeans are more glad to find another Singaporean in their ranks.

It has become decadent that they are glad at finding a Malaysian or Indonesian - we used to hate them for stealing the low-end part-time jobs but now they are like good friends to us. Likewise, they see us as allies in an environment with lots of cheap China labour around. The friendliness index is more akin to anyone who isn't a Chinaman or Pinoy. To me, Pinoys are fine, it is just that at managerial level they tend to be assholes; though that is no different from any Asian race at managerial level - giving them power tends to turn them into one .

Politics 101 :
An enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by konart View Post
Stop cheating. If you guys didn't have Russian lolis with parents working for OMON you would have made it at the bottom.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-04-07, 02:21   Link #27375
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
You should go out and work around. In fact, in places where it is highly saturated with foreigners, Singaporeans are more glad to find another Singaporean in their ranks.

It has become decadent that they are glad at finding a Malaysian or Indonesian - we used to hate them for stealing the low-end part-time jobs but now they are like good friends to us. Likewise, they see us as allies in an environment with lots of cheap China labour around. The friendliness index is more akin to anyone who isn't a Chinaman or Pinoy. To me, Pinoys are fine, it is just that at managerial level they tend to be assholes; though that is no different from any Asian race at managerial level - giving them power tends to turn them into one .

Politics 101 :
An enemy of my enemy is my friend.
I'm saying like as in genuine like. Not convenient temporary ally until you get in my way

Which is what SG is full of.
Old 2013-04-07, 02:24   Link #27376
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
I'm saying like as in genuine like. Not convenient temporary ally until you get in my way

Which is what SG is full of.
They are as permanent as long as you are in the same line of work as them; they know what it means by unavoidable clusterfuck from above.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-04-07, 10:13   Link #27377
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Maduro plays up his bus-driver roots for Venezuela campaign¸
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...93603F20130407

Chavez protégé invokes Venezuelan curse on opposition voters
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...93600G20130407
Old 2013-04-07, 10:22   Link #27378
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
That seems very unusual to me; they won without a trial?
The headline is very misleading. There already was a trial. This decision is by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals largely upholding a judgment against Fung made by the Federal District Court for the Central District of California. Read the actual decision for more details.
Old 2013-04-07, 15:46   Link #27379
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Damaged Nuclear Plant in Japan Leaks Toxic Water

Quote:
About 120 tons, or almost 32,000 gallons, of highly contaminated water appeared to have breached the inner protective lining of the pool at the Fukushima Daiichi plant, said the operator, Tokyo Electric Power Company. It was unclear how much of the water had made it through two additional layers of lining to reach soil, but radiation levels outside the pool have risen, a sign that some water is getting out, said the company, known as Tepco.

The leak highlights the daunting challenge of what to do with the huge amounts of contaminated water created by makeshift cooling systems at the plant, after a huge earthquake and tsunami knocked out its regular cooling systems two years ago in the worst nuclear accident since Chernobyl. Since then, Tepco has essentially been pouring water onto the damaged reactor cores and storage ponds to keep them from overheating.

As it is used for cooling, the water becomes so contaminated that it must be safely stored at the plant. Tepco said it was already storing more than a quarter-million tons of radioactive water in hundreds of large silver or blue tanks that seem to fill every available space at the plant, or in underground pools like the leaking one. With the decommissioning of the Fukushima plant likely to take decades, Tepco has said it expects the amount of radioactive water to keep growing, and possibly more than double within three years. The company has said it is building more storage space and new filtering facilities to clean the water.
This seems like an untenable method in even the medium term never mind the "decades" that decommissioning will require.

If 120 tons equals 32,000 gallons, then a quarter-million tons equals over 64,000,000 gallons. Where on earth (no pun intended) do they expect to put the over 100 million gallons of contaminated water the story estimates will have been created in just the next few years?

For those of you not afflicted with English measures, 64 million gallons equals about a quarter billion liters. An English ton, two thousand pounds, is about 0.9 metric ton.
Old 2013-04-07, 16:14   Link #27380
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Why... in the ocean of course.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international