AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-06-26, 06:13   Link #41
wao
OK.

I was also kind of hurt when you said Violinist of Hameln was the worst anime ever. Hehe...

I'm another person who hates the manga but likes the anime. I've read what's scanslated of the manga and I can't stand Hameln's character. It is NOT funny at all. In fact, for me I'd rather not have the funniness. It emphasizes on the silliness of the show and the dark backstory of Hameln and so on lose their appeal and their quality when spoiled by the humour.

I really did like the anime a lot. I liked it for all its depression - and it wasn't that depressing until the second season. When Flute and Hameln were still travelling along, it was peaceful and nice, and particularly the absolutely great last episode when
Spoiler:
. I swear... the ending was just so good, but I couldn't go to sleep after that (I finished watching it at night, you see...)

It did have its problems though, I agree. Some were
1. The still frames - okay, some of them were good, but some were REALLY unnecessary and quite annoying...
2. Animation - at times it was really nice, but other times they really skimped on it. Studio Deen seems to have tried out some new technology in this anime, for example the waves in one of the last few episodes... very pretty.
3. Not explaining hte backstory - Okay, I REALLY wanted to know more about
Spoiler:
. Because of this some decisions and comments were very confusing.
4. Flute. Goddamn it, she's so annoying. :P Especially how quickly her heart changed in the last episode. Oi oi oi!

However because of the poor budget these all make sense. I can't really blame Studio Deen for this... It was worth it if they had to spend it on the classical music. Really. The soundtrack has great pieces in there... I like some of the non-classical music too; like that song Birdie sings is very touching...

What was quite impressive was how they really wangled the show when the manga had Sizer herself traveeling with the people (as shown in the movie as well). I mean... it makes some things in the anime completely messed up...
Old 2004-07-06, 22:50   Link #42
Wolfgang

I love the movie, it's hilarious.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-01, 20:31   Link #43
Elanor Pam
Lurker Extraordinaire

*revives this thread!!*

As someone who has watched the TV series, movies and has detailed sources for the manga till vol. 23, I feel forced to step in and clarify stuff.

First: my feelings about the anime are ambiguous. I love romance, drama and tragedy, but still I had to force myself to watch the series, feeling like I was walking in really cold water. The plot was good, but it was too much angst for me to swallow at once. My fault, not the series'. Still, I hated the main's characterization, principally Flute, who is such a great character in the manga, but some other characters did remain faithful to the source. The artwork is wonderful. No comments on the animation. Music = superb.

I personally find the manga better.

For the love of all that you find sacred, DO NOT judge the manga by the first 6 volumes at abildsoe.com. That's barely the tip of the 37 volumes long iceberg. I've read a few people say they don't like Manga-Hamel because he's so funny he's not funny at all. You see, Hamel does try too hard to be an absolute ass and keep everyone away from him.

Spoiler for volumes 13, 14 and 15:

And despite having taken much more shit than Anime-Hamel, Manga-Hamel is a lot more active than the former, who's way too passive in front of the "destiny" dumped on him. (Note: I don't believe in destiny. I think that's another reason why I like the manga better: Hamel didn't give shit to what the Mazoku wanted from him, he just hated their guts.)

The manga only starts kicking major butt by vol. 9, but on the other side there's a lot of stuff in the first volumes that is necessary for later understanding of the characters. I think Watanabe Michiaki had a great sense of comic timing and pace - he could break a very serious scene with a joke and then go back to it, giving us a break without actually losing the tension. (...am I making sense?)

The Sizer plot is also infinitely better in the manga (I think it was too melodramatic in the anime, and Sizer wasn't as tortured as in the manga), without mentioning Lute's plot--- oh GOD, Lute. Read the manga from chapter 100 onwards and you'll scoff, snort and laugh at anime chapter 2.

Spoiler for Lutestuff (how he dies, etc):

Most people also seem to dislike Flute in the anime. I do too. It's like the animators/screenwriters thought she wasn't a good female lead for being too boyish and braver and emotionally stronger and more mature than the hero. And for facing much stronger enemies to defend her beliefs. Screenwriters, just because Flute doesn't take crap from people doesn't mean she's not a sweet girl. I use the Flute Method to help my sister when she has a depression-induced sob attack.

Raiel is really weird in the anime, but I think he kind of forgave Hamel way too quickly in the manga. On the other side, I wish he was less of a psycho in the series. Oh well. :/

Trom doesn't play much in the anime, compared to the manga, where he really is one of the Five hopes.

And the Five Hopes stuff... well, it makes much more sense in the manga.

Spoiler for 5 HOPES:

Uff... now I'm getting kinda tired of writing, so I'm going to stop here. I'd like to know what you think of this analysis. And pardon any grammar/spelling mistakes, english is my second language and I'm sleepy.

And anime-Pandora sucks. Period.
Elanor Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-05, 20:22   Link #44
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

I've never watched the anime, though I've watched the movie. I've read abildsoe's translation (excellent, I might add) of the manga, and I WANT MORE!!!!

Well, the translators are a husband-wife couple who had a kid during the time the manga stopped being translated so it's pretty obvious where their priorities should lie so you can't really blame them.
Newprimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-05, 21:19   Link #45
EV|RockLee
Rock Lee PWNz

Send a message via AIM to EV|RockLee Send a message via MSN to EV|RockLee
IMO, the anime's take on the story is somewhat superior than the manga, although i absolutely LOVE the manga. However, the manga's flaw is it's animation..if still-frames can be called such
EV|RockLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-06, 01:37   Link #46
Ruisu
勇気ある者

Send a message via AIM to Ruisu
Meh...

I don't see why people judge the whole thing on just the manga or the anime. I won't go into the details too much since I don't believe in the spoiler bar (you either spoil or don't, no third option here).

Personally, yes the anime had its...faults, one of them (and the most common) being the "lack" of animation. I found it interesting since it gave the whole thing that storybook feel. The music factor is what pretty much redeems the whole series (Tanaka Kouhei, thank you again for yet another brilliant score), and the pieces from the classical repertoire also helped (as mentioned earlier, most of the budget probably went to acquire the licenses, including rental for the actual music, since that also costs an arm and then some...). I don't know much about acting and portryal of emotion, but I thought Ueda Yuuji's Hamel was as convincing as it gets for the type of character he was in the anime (a bit unlike Ueda-san's usual roles, but meh). The same can be said about the rest of the cast (though I REALLY miss Yokoyama Chisa as Flute >.>)

As far as the manga is concerned, you have to understand that it can be considered a dark comedy of sorts, and you can't really expect Hamel to be the hero all the time. I mean this thing is 37 volumes long, so him being the "anti-hero" is perfectly justified. The drama and angst are there, and I've always been a sucker for good comic timing, and this is as good as it gets (outside of a few select korean movies...). Anyway, my two cents.

Last edited by Ruisu; 2004-12-06 at 01:38. Reason: THERE'S AN "R" IN REPERTOIRE! T_T
Ruisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-06, 04:28   Link #47
Ayu-ayu
a.k.a. Akari_House

I attended a panel Imagawa did at an AnimeExpo not long after Hameln. Interestingly, he also complained about the budget they had to work under and how they had to take this extreme stylisitic approach in order to effectively tell the story the way he and the staff wanted with the little money they had for the production.

Halfway through, they realised the anime was evolving too differently stylisticly from the manga, so rather than step too much on the manga artist's toes redoing things differently on the same storyline, they decided to just veer the story in an entirely original direction instead. Originally they planned to do a much longer story arc, but the series was cut way short, so Imagawa came up with the tragic ending as the best way to wrap up as many loose threads as they could in the time they had left.

It sounded like Imagawa was both frustrated and proud of the series he helped shape, and it was a good vehicle for his love of combining anime and classical music (see Giant Robo...).
Ayu-ayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-06, 14:40   Link #48
Ialdaboth

I haven't seen the movie or all of the manga yet, nor do I plan to.

But I would like to say that I loved the anime series in spite of all its flaws. Among dramatic anime, it's funny to see how something as colored as that ranks pretty high, with no less than an entire cast of over-angsting characters and a last episode worthy of a whole can of prozac (and I ain't complaining ^^). It's not because the anime is different from the original manga that it should be *bad*.

Megumi Ogata as Sizer, in particular, was unbelievely good. One of her very best performance imho.
Ialdaboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-13, 12:39   Link #49
Lost Souls

Well after reading this thread i just HAD to watch this

To be honest i loved it. Its darkness and depression just fitted so well. I agree still frames were over used, but hey it was still a great series one i'll watch again. I've read a few chapters of the manga, and didnt find it appealing so gave it up.

Everyone's taste is different though, my hubby hates Mai HiME while i like it, i hate Memories off but he likes it and so on. Doesnt mean that the shows are crap, just that we have different tastes.

I'd love to see an OVA be made of Flute opening the box again to be with Hameln, that would be an awsome OVA, especialy if she was able to recover his soul and turn him huiman (which is what i was expecting in the end to be honest). The ending took me by complete suprise, reminded me so much of KGNE and Kono Mini, the bitter sweet ending where 'good' is victorious but no one is really happy over it.

I will say the movie was terrible compared with the series. Okay less still frame, but it was so cartoony it was rediculas, i had to turn it off after 10 minutes or i would of thrown a fit, even hubby hated it and its rare we agree on anime
Lost Souls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-04, 03:50   Link #50
Eugene
Barnarna Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshzilla
Slow down there. Do you know how expensive it is to purchase classical music for a tv show?
I have two words for you sir...

PUBLIC DOMAIN

...most all the music that was used in this anime technically falls under public domain so there wern't any roalty expenses that had to be paid... the only expenses were likely to a studio to record the music and an orchestra to play the stuff...

More on Public Domain here: http://www.unc.edu/~unclng/public-d.htm

I think the simple situation with this anime is a super tight buget... they didn't have the money to pay for all the work that goes into "tweening" animation cels n' all... so many scenes were left as static "slide show" frames.

I used to read this comic back when I was in High School... never read the first book untill now... started picking it up from Kinnokunia in Seattle, Wa back in 92 when issue #2 came out... followed it up to issue #6... funny that that's where the translations seem to have stopped too.

I knew there was an anime made about this but I haven't gotten a chance to see it until now (actually I did get a peek of one episode a few years ago.. but still...). It's odd how much different the cartoon is from the manga. I miss alot of the crude jokes and the insane selfish greedy bastard aspect of Hamel's personality.

Oh well.. still fun to watch... and see my old favorite comic... er... "slightly" animated...
Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-13, 20:03   Link #51
Godaiger
Crossover Yuusha Godaiger

Quote:
I enjoyed editing the manga, too bad it was canceled though.

http://www.abildsoe.com/manga/ <== this place has up to vol 6
I know this is late but Viola!!! I bring to you :

http://www.scythegp.org/hameln01.html

Has some volumes scanslated and on Torrents

And: http://passioncrane.blogspot.com/200...of-hameln.html

Has volumes 1 to 16 so far

Last edited by Godaiger; 2006-09-13 at 20:36.
Godaiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-13, 20:12   Link #52
Mgz
Madlax fanboyz

Send a message via Yahoo to Mgz
holy batman thread bump! :O

damn that makes me curious about the anime/manga ...hmm gonna check it out I guess
Mgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-14, 00:42   Link #53
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Well, I can understand how people hate the animation. I liked it but wished that it had more of a budget and was better animated. The classical music used was wonderful. I really cried at the end of the series.
Old 2007-05-06, 13:40   Link #54
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

if you give the Anime half a chance it will surprise you it might be a full blown 2.0 or 3.0 but its good enough to stand on its own,and yes I know its almsot a 180 from the manga.
ZippyDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-06, 14:00   Link #55
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Anyone ever watch the old Mighty Thor cartoons where they would just zoom in on a still of his fist whenever he was punching a bad guy.....yeah, Violinist of Hameling is kind of worse in terms of animation. Even Super Bestial Machine God Dancougar had way more frames of animation and it aired in the 80s. I get a kick out of it though.

Holy smokes I think this thread is one of the oldest on the forum.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-06, 14:14   Link #56
ZippyDSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Anyone ever watch the old Mighty Thor cartoons where they would just zoom in on a still of his fist whenever he was punching a bad guy.....yeah, Violinist of Hameling is kind of worse in terms of animation. Even Super Bestial Machine God Dancougar had way more frames of animation and it aired in the 80s. I get a kick out of it though.

Holy smokes I think this thread is one of the oldest on the forum.
I don't judge animation by animation but by story and charatcers and plot all in all its a not a bad "OLD" anime.

I don't kid when I say old the animation style is 60s/70s it might be weak but it dosent drip of cheese like Tekkaman Blade and some other 70's style anime.
Old 2007-05-06, 14:22   Link #57
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyDSM View Post
I don't judge animation by animation but by story and charatcers and plot all in all its a not a bad "OLD" anime.

I don't kid when I say old the animation style is 60s/70s it might be weak but it dosent drip of cheese like Tekkaman Blade and some other 70's style anime.
I assure you, my thoughts on a series (Plot/Characters) and animation remain completely seperate entities. I also happen to like Tekkaman Blade even if it can be a bit angsty at times with D-Boy.

Also are we talking about Dancouga or Violinst of Hamelin when you say old anime.

Oh and To me old anime is 70's-mid 80's. Any further back is what I refer to as the "Foundations" of anime such as Tetsujin-28 Go and Tetsuwan Atom. Violinist is 90's so it doesn't really qualify as old to me either. Old to me is before I was born, which is the mid-80's.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-06, 14:55   Link #58
ZippyDSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
I assure you, my thoughts on a series (Plot/Characters) and animation remain completely seperate entities. I also happen to like Tekkaman Blade even if it can be a bit angsty at times with D-Boy.

Also are we talking about Dancouga or Violinst of Hamelin when you say old anime.

Oh and To me old anime is 70's-mid 80's. Any further back is what I refer to as the "Foundations" of anime such as Tetsujin-28 Go and Tetsuwan Atom. Violinist is 90's so it doesn't really qualify as old to me either. Old to me is before I was born, which is the mid-80's.
lets just say out of all the things I have a limit to I cant take "cheese" well,specifically "70/80s" chease Tekkaman is good and all but it fires up my cheese alarms I was surprised that the US dub was less cheesy it was done before the mandatory mad Americanizing cencorbots got a hold of domestic anime too...whats worse is its infecting the japanese I miss simple TV anime nudity god Ranma would never have made it to TV uncensored now adays...

While VOH was made in the 90s it has every bit of the 70s/80s animation style ,its almost watching panels shift than animation but I found it "quaint" so it didn't really effect me I also read the manga after it so I saw it truly as a old style OVA , its still a fun tragic uberly low budget anime but it will still have a few nuts that like it *L*
Old 2007-05-06, 16:32   Link #59
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

I actually like the anime, the series. The movie was a bit of a disapointment, but i loved the Anime. The ending was just so damned good i had to watch the last 3 eps 5 times in a row to get my fill

This is one of the few manga conversions i dont pick over and complain about. Sure its not faithful, but there's just xsomething about it. I also loved the music for it, ive been searching for the OST's but no joy yet

I wouldnt call it s**t, since everyone has different tastes. I found Gundam Seed Destiny painful and terrible, but i know others who loved it. We cant all have the same tastes and likes, where's the fun in that

Given when it was made, and the number of episodes it has, content etc. This is one of a few shows (one of 7 in fact) that gets a 10/10 from me.

Edit: In case anyone is interested, the manga IS still being translated, slowly but surely. Once a month or so a new chapter turns up on lurk
Tiamat's Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-06, 16:38   Link #60
ZippyDSM

Taliesin
Ya this is one of the few animes I can think off that did its own thing without completely destroying itself.

BTW I hate Gundam Seed :X
I loved 08 the most and it was only 12 eps WIng was ok..barely ,the old Gundam is not to bad...