Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-04-05, 00:19   Link #61
justsomeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab
No, they are just complaining because they expected a direct Game->Anime conversion which this is not. Therefore, they should stop whining about how it doesn't match the game.
No, we are complaining because this was not funny in any way.
Old 2006-04-05, 05:39   Link #62
Kamion
うぷぷぷ・・・

Send a message via ICQ to Kamion Send a message via MSN to Kamion
That Episode was strange. I mean the "Etna waking up Laharl" part was in the Promo, but in the Episode they changed it completely.
Flonne waking him up, Gordon coming already in the first Episode (even before Etna and Vyers)

I'm kinda disappointed atm :< It wasnt that well done and if they'd adapted the game story I'd have laughed alot more. WHERE'S my nin~ nin~ scene?! q.q
Well, Etna and Prinnies next time. I'm just disappointed that Gordon arrived that early and stuff... Didn't really fit together.
Old 2006-04-05, 09:47   Link #63
KBTKaiser

not even 5 minutes in and there's a Giant Mecha reference.

Double Tomahawk Boomerang, anyone? XD
Old 2006-04-05, 11:36   Link #64
Tsu
Burorororou

Send a message via MSN to Tsu
The first episode, to me, felt kind of like Azumanga Daiou - The very short movie. That is, in the way it tried to take many jokes and events from the original work and tried to squish them all in a short period of time.
I get the feeling they're trying to get a whole lot of things out of the way so they can get the real thing started. I suppose not a bad idea, since they only have 12 episodes to work with, but it did make the first episode kind of...
Well, it's still fun. And it's only the first episode, after all.
The opening sequence could be a bit less cliché, though. There's no need to compete with Karin.
Old 2006-04-05, 13:58   Link #65
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Fortunately for me, I have never played the game. I was still not overwhelmed, though. Funny in places. The two girls were good. Laharl, however, could get very, very old for me if he continues to be a one-note snarly.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2006-04-05, 14:27   Link #66
Conan-san
Cruel Angel's Thesis

I've played up to chapter 2 (just got it monday with FFX) so I understand the sorta urks here, but I'm not too fussed, the last time an anime tried stright up game : anime, it went tits up (Xenosaga: The Animation).

Also, i'll be kind enough to look the other way if they go ahead and use "Dood" in the fansubs.
Old 2006-04-05, 18:36   Link #67
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

Whoever subs it had better use Dood in the fansubs! It'd be a travesty not to.

And I'm kinda glad it didn't stick to the game. I loved the game a lot (own both versions) but if I wanna laugh at the game's jokes I'll play the game again. This is fresh and while the animation and scriptwork is fairly average it has the chance to pick up whereas if it followed the game it'd be a complete and total failure for me.
Old 2006-04-05, 18:57   Link #68
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

AnimeU are subbing it, don't know who else though. I'm looking forward to AnimeU's though, I like their translations (Shuffle for example) and the promo was just too funny. Hoping for good things still. Especially since I've not played the game and therefore have zero preconceived notions of how it should be
Old 2006-04-05, 19:00   Link #69
BluWacky
尻の竜

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan-san
I've played up to chapter 2 (just got it monday with FFX) so I understand the sorta urks here, but I'm not too fussed, the last time an anime tried stright up game : anime, it went tits up (Xenosaga: The Animation).
The Xenosaga animation is nothing like the game, though - that random Realian that appeared in the first episode, and whatever the HELL they did to the Encephalon section of the game...*shudders* Besides, it had a shit budget and was animated by Toei, it was bound to be crap.

I've not played Disgaea, and I've only watched the OP of the anime so I can't comment on it yet.
Old 2006-04-05, 20:36   Link #70
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

I never expected the anime to follow the game chapter by chapter. Still, the huge amount of differences certainly took me by surprise.

Let's just wait and see.
Old 2006-04-05, 22:51   Link #71
ChibiGoku
FightingMagic Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiosity
AnimeU are subbing it, don't know who else though. I'm looking forward to AnimeU's though, I like their translations (Shuffle for example) and the promo was just too funny. Hoping for good things still. Especially since I've not played the game and therefore have zero preconceived notions of how it should be
Kind of sad, but Anime-U had the worst translation between Mine (FM-Osu!) and SD_Project's Promo. We were both kind of even on the translation part area for the Promo. (SD and FM-Osu!) (few line differences, nothing big.)
Old 2006-04-06, 02:30   Link #72
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Spoiler for Random thoughts:

Overall, I'd say that this is an okay episode. Not great, but not too shabby. Of course, that's taking it alone without consideration of its source, which makes it a damned shame that it simply doesn't live up to the game's feel or humour. (It doesn't have to have the same jokes, but should have the same quality.)

I suppose what I was expecting was indeed a straight game-to-anime conversion. Which would have worked (at least in my mind), seeing as the game was already divided into episodes.

I'll be following this anime anyway, unless it goes downhill horribly quickly. It's still an anime that would be okay to recommend as a time-waster, with the caveat that the game is much, much, much better.
Old 2006-04-06, 05:57   Link #73
Conan-san
Cruel Angel's Thesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluWacky
The Xenosaga animation is nothing like the game, though - that random Realian that appeared in the first episode, and whatever the HELL they did to the Encephalon section of the game...*shudders* Besides, it had a shit budget and was animated by Toei, it was bound to be crap..
My Point exactly, it went tits up.

Also, wasn't Flonne sorta wierdingn out at that point (when she was called flat?) or was that somthing else?
Old 2006-04-10, 06:02   Link #74
espeon

Send a message via ICQ to espeon Send a message via MSN to espeon
Such a cool episode I'm so gonna keep geting the subs, thank you AnimeU.
Old 2006-04-10, 07:55   Link #75
bayoab

The opening song is horrendous. (This is lower=worse on the suck scale than suck. ) The ed is equally bad. However, the series itself is amusing despite not being a direct conversion. I can see why the people hate it though.

The subs though are going to make people like it more than they should because they took artistic license.
Old 2006-04-10, 09:23   Link #76
KBTKaiser

Personally, I thought the OP's style was done similar to Disgaea 2, minus the upbeat feel in a way.
Old 2006-04-10, 09:30   Link #77
SinsI

Does anyone know how many volumes of Disgaea manga are out there, is it ongoing?
Old 2006-04-10, 10:04   Link #78
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I've a bad feeling the anime implementation is pretty shallow and "one joke-ish" --- a shame because the character design has potential. Hopefully, the subs aren't taking a "Whats up, Tiger Lily?" approach (aka completely rewriting originally banal dialog). If the dialog sucks, it should be left to suck. About to find out for myself in a few minutes here.
Old 2006-04-10, 11:29   Link #79
tanuki

Feels like the departure from the game and the manga is an attempt to target a younger audience...which does make the anime seem pretty shallow.

Oh well, I'll give it a couple more episodes to see if there is any improvement and then decide whether to continue watching it or drop it.
Old 2006-04-10, 11:58   Link #80
LordStrafe

Hmmm. I like the show, for what it is. But... I have to say, I think I'm a little disappointed w/ AnimeU's translation.
They take a lot of liberties, which I tend to not be fond of. "Bring it, don't sing it"? Ugh... If I wanted to watch an Americanized translation, I'd wait for Viz to sub it...

Which, I guess, is a little harsh to say about AnimeU. I'm sure they work hard on it and everything. I just wish they didn't take so many liberties. That, and the font they use is a little hard to read.
Closed Thread