AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2013-07-17, 01:09   Link #1761
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

pillar? more like a cork.

He friggin' uncorked the Earth like a bottle of wine.
Old 2013-07-17, 18:09   Link #1762
Nighty40

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Butcher View Post
Not that I don't like Alibaba. Just that Mor is getting sidelined pretty hard lately >.>.

I like them both equally myself.
yeah it's been forever since we've last seen Mor. Some even think that she'll never appear again but it would be nice too see the three main characters back together again.
Nighty40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-17, 18:21   Link #1763
The Butcher
Butchered Taste

Not really a fan of Aladdin myself. I don't mind his panel time being sacrificed for the others >.>.

I was surprised when his arc turned into the best arc of the series.

Last edited by The Butcher; 2013-07-17 at 18:31.
The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-18, 12:45   Link #1764
CBredbeard
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Butcher View Post
Not really a fan of Aladdin myself. I don't mind his panel time being sacrificed for the others >.>.

I was surprised when his arc turned into the best arc of the series.
I didn't realize how much I disliked Aladdin until he ruined the best arc in the series.

Morgiana will return as a a full-blooded adult Fanalist. All of her feats of strength in the past will be completely overshadowed. And she'll be friend zoned even harder than before by Alibaba.
CBredbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-18, 13:09   Link #1765
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBredbeard View Post
And she'll be friend zoned even harder than before by Alibaba.
I want to believe she'll manage to draw his attention for once. Am I too optimistic?
Old 2013-07-18, 13:54   Link #1766
J4n1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
I want to believe she'll manage to draw his attention for once. Am I too optimistic?
Probably.
I hope Mor finally gets Alibaba, i don't believe she will (for few dozen chapters atleast after she comes back), but i do hope.
J4n1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-18, 13:55   Link #1767
Nighty40

Quote:
I want to believe that too. but at the same time this isn't a romance story (sure it doesn't mean that no one will get together but the chances are slim)
Nighty40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-18, 14:01   Link #1768
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighty40 View Post
I want to believe that too. but at the same time this isn't a romance story
Well, I just said "draw his attention", like making him blush or something. I don't really expect a lot more than that for the same reason you mentioned.
Old 2013-07-19, 08:46   Link #1769
CBredbeard
Banned

Quote:
Maybe if she puts on 20 pounds in choice places while also being a bit taller than him? Though a dramatic change like that in a character's design would upset readers.

He said in the very beginning he thought she was cute, but then she threw him into a pillar and damn near broke his back. Obviously he's forgiven her for that, but they've never connected. Even as friends, the impression is that he allows her to tag along because it's what she wants to do and she can take care of herself.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2013-07-29 at 02:15. Reason: Do not link to that site here!
Old 2013-07-19, 09:02   Link #1770
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

He's just had that little tiff with her big brother and now the little sister is calling him 'her good friend' in front of everyone. It's more of embarrassment and self-consciousness than anything else. Besides, he called to her first when flying up to her, there would be no reason for him to act like a jerkass in that moment, especially when surrounded by her family.

If he would have smiled or anything like that, Kouen might have tried to kill him for 'being smug' just because his little sister said something good about him.
Old 2013-07-19, 09:06   Link #1771
J4n1

I don't think Alibaba is being a jerk, he's nervous of being called a friend by Kougyokou in front of whatshisface, emperor something or the other (can't remember names).
As, let's face it, whatshisface is kinda his enemy, atleast potentially, and leads the empire that tried to destroy his homeland.
Rather awkward way to meat the family and all that.

Also, don't know if we ever really got to know Alibaba's type in women, he did call Mor beautiful (or was it cute?) when she decided to make an effort to look good and wear something else than a burlap sack (though he did not recognize her, and i don't blame him).
So it's not that he is opposed dating, or incompatible with, Mor, it's that it has never occurred to him that it might be an option.
So once Mor somehow manages to beat (possibly literally) the idea of possible romance with her into Alibaba's thick skull, we might get somewhere.
Old 2013-07-19, 09:35   Link #1772
BladeEntity
Anything's Possible
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4n1 View Post
I don't think Alibaba is being a jerk, he's nervous of being called a friend by Kougyokou in front of whatshisface, emperor something or the other (can't remember names).
As, let's face it, whatshisface is kinda his enemy, atleast potentially, and leads the empire that tried to destroy his homeland.
Rather awkward way to meat the family and all that.

Also, don't know if we ever really got to know Alibaba's type in women, he did call Mor beautiful (or was it cute?) when she decided to make an effort to look good and wear something else than a burlap sack (though he did not recognize her, and i don't blame him).
So it's not that he is opposed dating, or incompatible with, Mor, it's that it has never occurred to him that it might be an option.
So once Mor somehow manages to beat (possibly literally) the idea of possible romance with her into Alibaba's thick skull, we might get somewhere.
She's possibly doing it by making girls like Elizabeth and Mary take care of him when he goes to pubs. To beat the idea of strong women into him...

Mor what a brilliant plan.
Old 2013-07-19, 10:11   Link #1773
CBredbeard
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest35 View Post
He's just had that little tiff with her big brother and now the little sister is calling him 'her good friend' in front of everyone. It's more of embarrassment and self-consciousness than anything else. Besides, he called to her first when flying up to her, there would be no reason for him to act like a jerkass in that moment, especially when surrounded by her family.

If he would have smiled or anything like that, Kouen might have tried to kill him for 'being smug' just because his little sister said something good about him.
Except at no point does Alibaba convey that he's actually glad to see her and Kouen isn't even shown to acknowledge their connection. Kouha is surprised they know each other, but the only one shown to react to Kougyokou calling Alibaba friend is...Alibaba. And his expression is a sour one.

Alibaba has called Morgiana beautiful when she danced at the festival. He also called all the other dancers and waitresses beautiful.

He said she looked cool wearing the manifers.

He said she was like a hero of legend while being held by her, but he thought he was dreaming.

So he does pay her compliments and acknowledge her, but he does that with everyone. The only ones that seem to be the least bit special to Alibaba in the manga are Aladdin (his new BBF), Sinbad (his hero), and Cassim (his old BBF). Morgiana is like the 3rd wheel in the party.

P.S. Another encounter with a "woman" like Elizabeth and Mary would probably ruin Alibaba forever. Although he might be able to get some back if Aladdin were subjected to their delicate treatments, since that little punk got away with so much by pulling the little kid act. He's older now so he should have to deal with some humiliations.
Old 2013-07-19, 10:44   Link #1774
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Except at no point does Alibaba convey that he's actually glad to see her and Kouen isn't even shown to acknowledge their connection. Kouha is surprised they know each other, but the only one shown to react to Kougyokou calling Alibaba friend is...Alibaba. And his expression is a sour one.
It doesn't look like a sour expression to me. He's just embarrassed. That's why he doesn't say he's glad to see her or anything and changes the subject right away.
Old 2013-07-19, 11:11   Link #1775
CBredbeard
Banned

Quote:
It doesn't look like a sour expression to me. He's just embarrassed. That's why he doesn't say he's glad to see her or anything and changes the subject right away.
I disagree. I think he'd have a slight blush or a small if nervous smile if he were embarrassed. A frown and a sweat drop don't strictly convey personal embarrassment. Sweat drops are especially used to show when a character sees another character do or say something stupid or inappropriate.

And while Kouha may have created tension in the previous panel by calling Alibaba an enemy, Kougyokou calling him friend would relieve some of that tension. Like "Finally a friendly face" Unless you want to think that Kougyokou's approval hurts Alibaba's standing.

At any rate, Kougyokou's reunion with her one friend on the entire planet being ruined because of all the jerks around her sucks. Although she didn't seem to notice making her all the more bittersweet.
Old 2013-07-19, 11:42   Link #1776
J4n1

Quote:
I disagree. I think he'd have a slight blush or a small if nervous smile if he were embarrassed. A frown and a sweat drop don't strictly convey personal embarrassment. Sweat drops are especially used to show when a character sees another character do or say something stupid or inappropriate.

And while Kouha may have created tension in the previous panel by calling Alibaba an enemy, Kougyokou calling him friend would relieve some of that tension. Like "Finally a friendly face" Unless you want to think that Kougyokou's approval hurts Alibaba's standing.

At any rate, Kougyokou's reunion with her one friend on the entire planet being ruined because of all the jerks around her sucks. Although she didn't seem to notice making her all the more bittersweet.
To me, Alibaba looks just nervous, and maybe slightly awkward.
Sucks, but hopefully Kougyokou and Alibaba can get a less front and center time to catch up on what they've been doing.
Old 2013-07-19, 12:01   Link #1777
CBredbeard
Banned

Quote:
To me, Alibaba looks just nervous, and maybe slightly awkward.
Sucks, but hopefully Kougyokou and Alibaba can get a less front and center time to catch up on what they've been doing.
When the shield goes down, rather than a group attack where everyone uses the last of their strength to knock the dark spot over, I hope instead it swallows them, and we have a mini-dungeon arc.

I'd like the manga to re-establish that Djinn Equip on the body is something that can only be used for a few minutes at a time and is not the absolute best strategy for winning a fight, let alone a war. What's more, I'd like there to be some hope that a Djinn user simply can't blitzkrieg a dungeon and that they actually have to beat it on the dungeon's terms.

Something like that happening would also allow group and character dynamics to play out. If they're forced into a dungeon like environment, they may have to split up and we'd see the personal strengths of individuals show through.

It also leaves open the possibility of Mogamett being the final boss, because he went out like he was nothing and deserved a more personal confrontation, especially with Aladdin who's meddling has caused all kinds of grief for people. Grief he hasn't had to answer for. Having the villain call Aladdin out on his poor judgement and bias would be great.
Old 2013-07-19, 13:45   Link #1778
J4n1

Yeah, drawing back on the djinn equips for a bit would be nice, as well as more dungeon arcs.

Not sure if i'd want more Mogamett though, and not sure if you could really claim Aladdin as having horrible bias as such, naive maybe, but not really biased.
Old 2013-07-19, 14:09   Link #1779
CBredbeard
Banned

Quote:
Not sure if i'd want more Mogamett though, and not sure if you could really claim Aladdin as having horrible bias as such, naive maybe, but not really biased.
Aladdin does have a bias. He thinks the magicians grief and their lives are important enough to risk the world and fight a war on their behalf. If he really wanted to avoid a worst case scenario, he would have struck at the furnace directly and ignored the war. He would have let the people in the 5th level die and he would have let the city fall. And even when there was a ceasefire, rather than go after the furnace, he negotiates Reim's withdrawal without any concessions from Magnostadt.

He wouldn't have faulted Reim for the conflict, since they are the ones reacting to Magnostadt's aggression. He would have found fault in the magicians' pride, as was the lesson he learned from the Kouga. Given the choice to hang on to the past and their pride or survival and joining Kou, the correct choice was the latter. (There was alot of symbolic value in having Granny's staff being destroyed when Aladdin chose to defend the mages' pride, but that symbolism has pretty much gone to waste.)

I wouldn't really fault Aladdin for developing a loyalty towards Magnostadt after living there for a year and being exposed to their achievements and nationalism...expect he's not honest about it. He chastises Scherazade for focusing on one country (she rolls over and takes it instead of pointing out his rather heavy handed performance in the war. Nor does she mention that Reim is one of the dominant powers on the planet and may well succeed in conquering the world by virtue of her guidance). He also ignores the people Magnostadt has hurt, instead thinking the only ones that matter are the magicians and how they feel. Where's his concern for their victims?
Old 2013-07-19, 15:00   Link #1780
Awrya
U mad?

Just a thought after the latest chapters, the rukh of someone who has fallen into depravity doesn't return to the great flow, what if it joins the black rukh from whatever place that thing comes from?
If so, do you think it's possible for Mogamett to help destroy the medium from within?

Tags
fantasy, licensed, manga, shounen