AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2008-04-24, 01:51   Link #1
Maxtro

File only works in VLC and nothing else.

A certain group that I'm not going to name that subs certain unnameable shows choose to change their encodes to some weird format. For whatever reason these episodes only work in VLC media player. They play 100% fine for me in VLC but it's just annoying to have to use VLC for only one group. I use media player classic for everything else and it works perfectly fine.

One example of an episode playing in MPC is I have the CCP and CoreAVC I can't figure out what else I'm missing.

Are there any other codecs I'm missing or anything I can do to get it working in MPC?

Please don't use the name of the group or titles.

Edit: Thanks to the help here I learned that upgrading my CoreAVC would solve the problem and it worked

Last edited by Maxtro; 2008-04-24 at 10:33. Reason: Solved
Old 2008-04-24, 02:22   Link #2
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
I think the problem with that was when the file was h264 muxed into avi and you had CoreAVC installed. I solved that issue when I used Windows by letting CCCP do the decoding.

Really, you're better off downloading from another group. People who mux h264 into avi should be stabbed repeatedly with a hot knife.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2008-04-24, 02:34   Link #3
jpwong

I dunno, I have CCCP and CoreAVC installed and it's decoding properly on mplayer2 and MPC through CoreAVC.

Though I'm going to agree than muxing h264 into avi is a terrible idea. It's one of those times where "because we can" shouldn't be used.
Old 2008-04-24, 02:45   Link #4
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxtro View Post
A certain group that I'm not going to name that subs certain unnameable shows choose to change their encodes to some weird format. For whatever reason these episodes only work in VLC media player. They play 100% fine for me in VLC but it's just annoying to have to use VLC for only one group. I use media player classic for everything else and it works perfectly fine.

One example of an episode playing in MPC is I have the CCP and CoreAVC I can't figure out what else I'm missing.

Are there any other codecs I'm missing or anything I can do to get it working in MPC?

Please don't use the name of the group or titles.
I had this exact same problem and I know exactly which group you're talking about. They just recently switched from xvid to h264. And WanderingKnight is completely right. They used the avi container for h264 encoding.

First of all, are you using 1.3.x.x of CoreAVC? That won't work. This will work with the 1.6.5.0 version (I'm not sure about the in-between version), so, well, try and get that.

The second option, assuming that your computer has enough processing power, is to double click on your CCCP settings and check H.264 then click okay. This will let ffdshow play your h264 files for you. Since this group is the only group I know that use h264 with avi, you could uncheck the H.264 option in CCCP Settings after you're done playing that file. Alternatively, you should try to see if using ffdshow instead of CoreAVC for h264 mkv files will affect the performance of the video. If ffdshow doesn't lag you, then just forget about CoreAVC for now unless you want to play some huge resolution h264 files that actually lags, in which case you should uncheck the H.264 option in CCCP Settings.

Last edited by KholdStare; 2008-04-25 at 12:03.
Old 2008-04-24, 06:05   Link #5
Daiz
Pioneer in Fansub 2.0

It's obviously because they used MP3 audio with H.264 in AVI. They should have used Vorbis audio instead and it would have worked perfectly. I really don't know what their encoder was thinking when he decided to not use Vorbis. [/troll]
Old 2008-04-24, 09:51   Link #6
Maxtro

Yeah I agree that whoever decided to use AVI for the H.264 should be stabbed in the back with an exploding kunai.

How interesting. So when I went into CCCP settings and checked H.264 that file played perfectly. But when I open Code Geass R2 (H264) 1280x720 the video lags. Does changing that setting in CCCP disable CoreAVC?

Yup my CoreAVC is 1.3.0.0 maybe I should upgrade Would that fix the problem? I installed it a long time ago and thought I would be done.

Thanks for the help guys.

Edit: Yup upgrading my CoreAVC fixed everything. Then the pretty lines don't show up anymore and Code Geass plays perfectly.

Last edited by Maxtro; 2008-04-24 at 10:07. Reason: Update:
Old 2008-04-24, 10:05   Link #7
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Yeah I agree that whoever decided to use AVI for the H.264 should be stabbed in the back with an exploding kunai.
*nods*

Quote:
How interesting. So when I went into CCCP settings and checked H.264 that file played perfectly. But when I open Code Geass R2 (H264) 1280x720 the video lags. Does changing that setting in CCCP disable CoreAVC?
Yes. It just tells ffdshow to decode H.264. If it is unchecked it will try to use a different decoder, like CoreAVC, providing that you have one on your system. Else it will just give you an error when trying to play back a file about not being able to find a filter.

Quote:
Yup my CoreAVC is 1.3.0.0 maybe I should upgrade Would that fix the problem? I installed it a long time ago and thought I would be done.
I think that there was a certain combination of versions which caused this problem, if not then whoever put that encode together managed to find a fine breaking spot.