Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-12-30, 12:58   Link #5261
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnieS View Post
China finds the likely tomb of third century general
On a lighter note, it looks like the tomb of Cao Cao (Chinese name of "曹操") who was one of the leaders during the Three Kingdoms era may have been found. It'll be very interesting if this was the real burial site and can help provide more info on the man himself.
WOW thats big news to me being a Three Kingdoms period fan. I am currently on the 2nd Vol of the novel.

If this really is Cao Cao's tomb it could be a huge discovery especially if he was buried with scrolls depicting important events of the era or even his personal thoughts and memories.
Old 2009-12-30, 17:49   Link #5262
mg1942

The FCC needs to move towards A La Carte Cable. I have 200 channels of infomercials, Spanish language, church programs, and tons of other shit that I would never watch but end up paying for.

and...

since i have a DVR it's occurred to me just how much advertising money is getting wasted on us. It's at the point where I don't even know what movies are coming out. Much less what channel a show is on. I imagine once true on demand programming becomes the norm we'll see fewer ads, lower production budgets and/or higher provider bills. But it's a sure bet there'll be lots more tits
Old 2009-12-30, 20:34   Link #5263
LeoXiao
思想工作

English man executed for "drug smuggling" in China

Basically a guy was found with a few kilos of heroin, given a half-hour hearing, and sentenced to death. Despite claiming that he was tricked into carrying the bag, and barring the possibility of his poor mental condition, he was not allowed to present any evidence to defend himself from death. It doesn't help that the judges were laughing at him while he tried to explain himself.
Old 2009-12-30, 22:12   Link #5264
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
there are ways to entertain yourself before tv was invented and that is exactly why tv network are in trouble because people are finding you can live without tv. So losing the tv networks isn't earth shattering, people will adjust.

the economic side is different althought a good trade off is no more political ads.
You'll just get the ads served through sites like Facebook and so on. Smart political strategists will even look to do placements inside games via character lookalikes, IMHO, to get those crowds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post

Basically a guy was found with a few kilos of heroin, given a half-hour hearing, and sentenced to death. Despite claiming that he was tricked into carrying the bag, and barring the possibility of his poor mental condition, he was not allowed to present any evidence to defend himself from death. It doesn't help that the judges were laughing at him while he tried to explain himself.
Drug trafficking in China (and in many Asian countries like Vietnam and Singapore) is a big deal, esp. if you aren't "well-connected" enough to be protected. Even the connections will not help if the case is big and/or embarrassing enough.

Being tricked into carrying the drugs as a "drug mule" isn't really a valid excuse when there is no one to back up his claim, unfortunately, and from the news sources, it does not seem that Akmal Shaikh had anyone like that? It's a Western belief that mental illness should be taken into account in sentencing, but I don't see that being the case in most parts of Asia, however. The chances of a public apology being given are going to be very low.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
Old 2009-12-30, 22:24   Link #5265
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnieS View Post
You'll just get the ads served through sites like Facebook and so on. Smart political strategists will even look to do placements inside games via character lookalikes, IMHO, to get those crowds.

not a problem since i don't belong to any of the networking sites.
Old 2009-12-30, 22:55   Link #5266
FateAnomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post

Being stupid and having mental problems is no excuse really. If it does, those drug smugglers just have to hire mentally handicapped people to do their smuggling work.
Old 2009-12-30, 23:04   Link #5267
Tiberium Wolf

If that person had mental problems the family should have taken his passport in the 1st place. Then he wouldn't be able to travel out. Seriously... everyday ppl go to court and claim mental problems to get away from the punishment.
Old 2009-12-30, 23:30   Link #5268
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
If that person had mental problems the family should have taken his passport in the 1st place. Then he wouldn't be able to travel out. Seriously... everyday ppl go to court and claim mental problems to get away from the punishment.
the issue is not what this one guy was doing IMO, it's that the Chinese judicial system is fucked up to the point that they can put you in prison for two years, give you a death sentence after half an hour, and not even inform you until a day before you die. Maybe the guy wasn't innocent, but when you're talking about a death sentence, I'm pretty sure you need more than 30 minutes to let the guy present evidence.
Old 2009-12-31, 13:07   Link #5269
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Its the age old problem of being responsible for your actions versus "mental health" (brain wiring morphing). Using the "mental state" as a defense leads down the lovely slope of no one actually being responsible for their actions. "I was depressed thanks to chemical imbalances in my head so I ran my car through the mall and over all those people"
"I wanted a new iPod but I couldn't afford one, it made me sad so i robbed a bank"

In order for society to function, some form of rehabilitation and/or isolation is vital... and if it can't be fixed and is a danger - death may be the option. Economics and messaging plays into that. The sentence was intended to show the Chinese public that the system was consistent even if the world had a tiff over it.

That said.... the Chinese system is simply harsh on crimes it believes to be a threat to society much more than threats to the individual. It also chooses to deem irrelevant the mental state of the perpetrator. This is even when "it works". Recently, they sentenced a world-known activist to many years in prison -- he was a threat to society by their equation (since they equate "society" with the "status quo government"... convenient, no?).

As for the death sentence... the Chinese still have a very tender spot about drugs since the British and Opium Wars.... when the British Empire attempted to undermine/destroy the society by infecting it with rampant drug use.
Old 2009-12-31, 19:41   Link #5270
Haruka_Kitten
The AnimeSuki Pet kitten
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Haruka_Kitten Send a message via Yahoo to Haruka_Kitten
Anyone hear about the news story involving a pram (stroller) being dragged under a Melbourne Train? The baby survived
Old 2009-12-31, 21:02   Link #5271
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Looking back at 2009 major news stories.

Some include, worst snowfall in the UK in Feb,
- Outbreak of swine flu
- Death of MJ
- Missing plane that fell into the sea

A lot of celebs shipped out this year and the bite of recession still sunk it's teeth in as plenty of businesses and jobs were lost.
Technically the decade isn't over until 2010 Dec 31st, but at least for 2009, I think for most, it's a year we're glad to see the back of.

Here's hoping for a calmer, brighter 2010 overall, despite the turmoils and troubles that humanity continue to bring...

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Old 2009-12-31, 21:04   Link #5272
Haruka_Kitten
The AnimeSuki Pet kitten
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Haruka_Kitten Send a message via Yahoo to Haruka_Kitten
Ah, lets not forget the ditching of that plane in the Hudson River. That one was probably all too good *applauds*

And what about the Tiger Woods scandal?
Old 2009-12-31, 21:13   Link #5273
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
I actually didn't hear a single thing about it while in Japan, i think the most read stories are ones hit all over the world on a huge ass scale, so not sure how huge it is outside of America, but it is included in that link for the month of Dec.
(Oh yeah, its January) xD

But i did hear that he's getting shredded by the US press for his affairs, which is a shame, cause his private life is his private life in my opinion.
Not to mention all the people who try to cash from it -.-

I dunno much bout it and prob won't bother to read up, but I doubt they can exempt Tiger from sporting tournys though just cause he can't keep his dick in his pants.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Old 2009-12-31, 21:56   Link #5274
Haruka_Kitten
The AnimeSuki Pet kitten
*IT Support

It comes with being a celebrity, you can't keep it under wraps. That's why i hate hearing about it
Old 2009-12-31, 22:04   Link #5275
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/01/us...er=rss&emc=rss

Isn't fascinating the number of investigations and prosecutions started during the Bush administration that are being dropped by judges over sheer incompetence, poor management, lousy process by the Bush prosecutors. It appears yet more Bush era misdeed prosecutions have been derailed thanks to the Justice Department mishandling during that administration.
Old 2009-12-31, 22:44   Link #5276
mg1942

Newsweek makes predictions for 2010 on...

Technology

Business
World
(US) Politics
Old 2009-12-31, 22:51   Link #5277
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
I dunno much bout it and prob won't bother to read up, but I doubt they can exempt Tiger from sporting tournys though just cause he can't keep his dick in his pants.
I doubt any guy who sees a good-looking girl can. Seriously.

7 CIA Employees Bombed

Brilliant. Another intelligence failure, and 8 spies at once.

My guesses are renegade ISI operators from Pakistan who have their allegiances with the Taliban. Looks like US Intelligence needs to really stop laying on their laurels of Gordevisky and get down to work.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-01-01, 01:31   Link #5278
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I doubt any guy who sees a good-looking girl can. Seriously.
The majority of my female cousins are far more good-looking and well turned-out than my current girlfriend. Does it follow that I must have committed serial incest in conjunction with successive cases of cheating?
Old 2010-01-01, 01:53   Link #5279
Haruka_Kitten
The AnimeSuki Pet kitten
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
The majority of my female cousins are far more good-looking and well turned-out than my current girlfriend. Does it follow that I must have committed serial incest in conjunction with successive cases of cheating?
the other thing i find funny is that everyone denied the allegations. Then the text messages and voice mail surfaced, and everyone and their dog (not literally speaking the dog) came forward and admitted to having an affair with Tiger Woods
Old 2010-01-01, 07:30   Link #5280
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
I never hinted at that. It is your own onus to control your feelings. If you can't stop it from sticking out, at least hide it and refrain from thinking about pinning her down and doing her, or baiting her into doing it with you.

But I am not stopping you from being like Keita Suminoe (Kiss x Sis). It is your call, really.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international