AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-02-10, 15:41   Link #1
Kudryavka

How are Adaptation Anime Made?

I've been wondering for a while, seeing how the vast, vast majority of anime coming out nowadays are adapted from some source material or another. So, how are they made? How is the decision made to make xxx series into an anime? And what people does it go through, etc.?

note: This is not a discussion on how animation is done. This will simply cover the journey from comic/book source material, to the final greenlight into an anime series.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 15:52   Link #2
Shyni

You're asking about how studios decide which stories to adapt from, right? I'm guessing profit potential is pretty important, due to the costs of making an anime. But that's really obvious.
Shyni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 15:53   Link #3
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Just speculation, but the animation studios probably take the initiative here the majority of the time. I'd say if there's a manga or novel that's very popular or has the potential to sell units, then the studio contacts the publisher of the series of interest and offers to do an animated adaptation of the work. Negotiations follow, and if the publishers and/or original author accept the terms and vice-versa, then the collaboration is set to begin and an animated adaptation is green-lighted.

I could be wrong about the original author having any influence over the decision though. Perhaps sometimes once an author is serialized the publishers gain complete control over any business decisions to be made with the property.
Old 2013-02-10, 16:09   Link #4
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyni View Post
You're asking about how studios decide which stories to adapt from, right? I'm guessing profit potential is pretty important, due to the costs of making an anime. But that's really obvious.
Yes, that's right.

And yeah, profits obviously. But not why, I'm wondering how they are made.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 16:22   Link #5
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
Just speculation, but the animation studios probably take the initiative here the majority of the time.
While some studios can, people tend to forget the existence of production companies such as aniplex or warner or Starchild who can initiate plenty of productions

Here's an interview of the president of aniplex by ANN:

TL;DR…

Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
I could be wrong about the original author having any influence over the decision though. Perhaps sometimes once an author is serialized the publishers gain complete control over any business decisions to be made with the property.
That reminds me of this story:

TL;DR…

Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-02-10, 16:28   Link #6
james0246

Just arm-chairing the ideas:

Quote:
So, how are they made?
The same as any other major decision: money. That is the deciding factor that controls everything.

Quote:
How is the decision made to make xxx series into an anime?
Popularity and belief that the new production will result in increased sales for the manga (and the anime will do well).

Quote:
And what people does it go through, etc.?
Publishers, agents, screenwriters and other middle men. Then the studio would have their own people go over the details. The author would probably be one of the last people to know about the adaptation, and their involvement would only depend on their popularity.

edit: ninja'd (and thoroughly defeated) by totoum .
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 21:16   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2012-03-05

This is the first part of a three-part series by ANN's Justin Sevakis on "The Anime Economy." It's a pretty good starting point.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote