AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Log Horizon

Notices

Old 2013-12-02, 19:59   Link #41
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Wizards
Some people said that the UK + Northern Europe have a heavy Arthurian and Norse flavor take it for what you will.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-02, 20:43   Link #42
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Someone from Spacebattles put this map

How accurate is it?
Probably as accurate as it could come, since this came from the g-doc links at Mamare's wiki =3

Still, there are some inaccuracies though, probably due to outdated info. For example, Taiwan was originally listed under the SEA server but Mamare later changed it to be part of Greater China.

*examines map*

Ahh crap, I forgot the Ruskies in my previous post D=

Signature by liro

Last edited by Estavali; 2013-12-02 at 20:53.
Estavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-05, 19:21   Link #43
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Lol he split Indonesia in half.

I wonder who's the Ancient Down Under? Ocenarius? After all we got Bogans and hippies down here.
Old 2013-12-12, 11:23   Link #44
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masuzu View Post

Shirayukihime created her avatar on the very day of <<The Disaster>>.
I am afraid to ask. But how did she manage with guilds like Hamelin and PKers preying on newbies? She isn't going to have it easy, you know?
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-17, 15:43   Link #45
Scopt1

Vampire Assassin

Log Horizon Character
Name: Tsukino Shun (moon field fast/talented)
Race: Elf
Class: Assassin
Subclass: Vampire
Level: 48
HP: 3951
MP: 3951
Role: Controller
Equipment:
Shadow Armour - allows the use of Stealth and Silent Move skills
Shadow Shortsword - +10% attack speed if behind the enemy
Vampire's Ring - allows an automatic block of 5% for each enemy attack which heals the wearer half of the damage it absorbs
Crossbow - 415-436 damage
Guild: Blood Council
Skills: Assassinate, Sap, Drain, Paralyze, Flit, Flurry, Knife Throw, Vampire Slam, Vampire Grip, Power Blast
Backstory:
He was originally a student of archaeology and psychology at Tokyo University, and had heard of Elder Tale before, but had refused to spend money on the game, with its reportedly clunky controls and dodgy rumours surrounding the makers. However, the Pioneers of the Novasphere update was too attractive for him to ignore. He enrolled in the beta and trained as hard as he could to be able to survive in the finished product. On the day of full release, he made sure that he was the first to log in, but was completely unprepared for being dragged in to the game. Without wasting any time, he traveled to his favourite dungeon and got used to the way of fighting with his own body.
As a result, he is now the most well adapted player in the game. He quickly formed a guild called the Blood Council as a way to govern and guide the less experienced players. New guilds started to appear, and some of those chose the title of council as well, forming the so-called 'Government Sector', with the Blood Council, the High Council and the Black Council being known as the 'Big Three'

Last edited by Scopt1; 2013-12-18 at 05:06. Reason: Added Skills
Scopt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-20, 02:16   Link #46
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
I am afraid to ask. But how did she manage with guilds like Hamelin and PKers preying on newbies? She isn't going to have it easy, you know?
This is her second account. Her osananajimi also got trapped and he's level 90.

This also means that, although her avatar is really weak, she knows her way around.

Before she meets up with him, though...she does run away from and dies at least once to the <<Enemy>>.
Old 2013-12-20, 04:25   Link #47
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

How did she get her hands on, and is able to equip what seems to be high level gear though?
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-20, 04:41   Link #48
HasuMasu
*Artist

The things I listed aren't her starting equipment, but her final equipment.

Kind of like how the cover of Sword Art Online Volume 1 shows Kirito with the <<Black Wyrm Coat>> and <<Elucidator>> instead of <<Short Sword>> and what ever the starting armour is.
Old 2013-12-20, 04:51   Link #49
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Getting to this level gonna take a long way, miss. =3
Old 2013-12-20, 05:04   Link #50
HasuMasu
*Artist

The story itself spans a couple years anyway. There's time.
Old 2013-12-20, 05:13   Link #51
WhiteJoker

Quote:
Getting to this level gonna take a long way, miss. =3
Depends. Minori and company take time because they're being honest about it (and they're learning all of the basic MMO concepts as well) but we know that the Goblin War gives all of them something like 3 levels in a day or two. If Masuzu's character has friends who'd be willing to follow her around, healslave her, and provide gear/consumables, I imagine she could power level substantially faster since, as a former veteran player, she'd already be knowledgeable about things like skill rotation, attack priorities, and good leveling grounds. If she's willing to grind at it, it should go fairly quickly.
WhiteJoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-20, 05:16   Link #52
Lazgrane
Dimension Exploiter

I'm pretty sure it'd just take less than 3 weeks to get to 90 if she go full hardcore
Old 2013-12-20, 05:25   Link #53
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Really? Because even as far as the anime has gone (which, I'll remind you, is several months in now) the raiding guilds have been raiding nearly non-stop since the game started, only taking little breaks when politics interrupt and even at one point used EXP pots to boost their leveling, yet nobody is 91 yet.

Leveling ain't easy in Elder Tale. It takes time. Lots and lots of time. Even more so now that the game is real.
Old 2013-12-20, 05:55   Link #54
HasuMasu
*Artist

I imagine, though, that the experience curve is exponential.

This means that getting to level 20 requires less EXP than getting from 20 to 30.
Old 2013-12-20, 05:57   Link #55
Lazgrane
Dimension Exploiter

I remember minori gang get from 22 - 35 after the goblin arc.

And
http://mamare.net/character/
up to volume 7 william get to 95. That despite he was occupied with bullying delicious.

Just follow a 9x gang to eat spare exp is more than enough

But after all, this is a fic. who care if she just drink a pot and boom, insta lvl 90
Old 2013-12-20, 06:00   Link #56
WhiteJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Really? Because even as far as the anime has gone (which, I'll remind you, is several months in now) the raiding guilds have been raiding nearly non-stop since the game started, only taking little breaks when politics interrupt and even at one point used EXP pots to boost their leveling, yet nobody is 91 yet.

Leveling ain't easy in Elder Tale. It takes time. Lots and lots of time. Even more so now that the game is real.
There are two primary formats for MMO leveling: either EXP to next level follows a linear progression or it follows an exponential progression. The trip to 90 would be very similar in time to the trip from 90 to 91 if Elder Tales uses the exponential growth tree, where as the linear progression simply means that the trip from 30 to 90 would take a lot of grinding. In addition, recall that exp gain from kills is hampered by the prerequisite that you can only gain exp credit if what you kill isn't more than... 3 levels(?) below you if you don't take EXP pots. Presumably killing things below your level also nets you less exp than if you were at level or under, but even if that's not the case keep in mind that the Black Swords, D.D.D. and so forth only know about enemies at level 90 or below, all new content creatures at level 91 and up are unknown and they have no clue where to find them. What they were doing was using EXP pots to raise the pool of creatures they could target but not significantly that they could game the system through usage of over-leveled heal-slaves and stat buffers; effectively they would have to fight each battle without "cheating" due to the relative equality of levels (and the lack of anybody significantly higher leveled around to make things easier). Also note that Hamelin had less than a hundred newbies cranking out EXP pots each day where as the Black Swords, who are the smallest of the big guilds, has around a hundred active members; assuming Hamelin wasn't just providing to the Black Swords, there weren't enough EXP pots to go around for everybody every day (and the EXP pot's effects only last for about an hour). In an MMO using the linear progression, you could be expected to hit the level cap within a month or two of middle ground playing, and under a month if you were hardcoring it. With the exponential progression it would probably take two or three months if you were being hardcore, but it wouldn't take more than six months if you just spent a few hours each day.

I wouldn't go with 3 weeks largely because travel time is substantially greater then in game and until the conclusion of the current anime arc happens questing for experience would be limited to grinding and in most MMOs you get far more exp for questing than for grinding (which could be another contributing factor to the slow progression of the battle guilds). Taking current MMOs, assuming that the level progression is the easier linear format, grinding by just killing mobs to get to the next level would take me an average of two to four hours depending on how quickly I'd get bored. Magnify that by the need to actually fight each battle instead of just clicking a few buttons, along with travel time, along with the mental strain being substantially greater, and I wouldn't be surprised if in game grinding time is magnified two or three fold. By contrast, if I had a series of quest lines to follow, it'd take an hour for a level if I was playing legitimately, and if I had a friend along who'd just keep me topped up so I'd never need to rest, and applied end game buffs so I could deal three times my normal damage, I could get a level every 20-30 minutes if I was rushing. The numbers wouldn't be as dramatic with an exponential progression but it would still be extremely noticeable.
WhiteJoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-20, 06:04   Link #57
HasuMasu
*Artist

At any rate, this isn't really a problem as far as <<Shirayukihime>> is concerned.

One of the things I wanted to show were that the rules have changed. Before the <<Disaster>>, your numerical stats were your absolute limit. Fighting with your body adds a whole new dimension.

I made <<Shirayukihime>> level 1 on purpose to show the new meta-game: your own sword skills and the help of your friends.
Old 2013-12-20, 06:40   Link #58
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteJoker View Post
I wouldn't go with 3 weeks largely because travel time is substantially greater then in game and until the conclusion of the current anime arc happens questing for experience would be limited to grinding and in most MMOs you get far more exp for questing than for grinding (which could be another contributing factor to the slow progression of the battle guilds). Taking current MMOs, assuming that the level progression is the easier linear format, grinding by just killing mobs to get to the next level would take me an average of two to four hours depending on how quickly I'd get bored. Magnify that by the need to actually fight each battle instead of just clicking a few buttons, along with travel time, along with the mental strain being substantially greater, and I wouldn't be surprised if in game grinding time is magnified two or three fold. By contrast, if I had a series of quest lines to follow, it'd take an hour for a level if I was playing legitimately, and if I had a friend along who'd just keep me topped up so I'd never need to rest, and applied end game buffs so I could deal three times my normal damage, I could get a level every 20-30 minutes if I was rushing. The numbers wouldn't be as dramatic with an exponential progression but it would still be extremely noticeable.
The authors experience seems to be mostly based on the old type of MMO's, where leveling through grinding was the main way to level. Given that the players are doing just that: Leveling through grinding, it stands to reason that this is the same in Elder Tale.

Really, Elder Tale as a whole seems to be more akin to the old type of MMO's. XP loss upon death, items drop on death, skill leveling requires raiding, even mobs many levels below you are a potential threat, soloing is only feasible for skilled players, all stuff that you don't really see much in modern day MMO's. Not surprising I suppose, given that this is a 20 year old game and all...

Anyway, Touhya and Minori have been training like crazy for a full month in just this episode alone, and yet they haven't dinged to cap at all. So leveling takes a long time, even for the lower levels.

Spoilery stuff might provide a few more handles for how long it might take to level:

Spoiler for novel spoilers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masuzu View Post
One of the things I wanted to show were that the rules have changed. Before the <<Disaster>>, your numerical stats were your absolute limit. Fighting with your body adds a whole new dimension.

I made <<Shirayukihime>> level 1 on purpose to show the new meta-game: your own sword skills and the help of your friends.
Numbers also still matter a ton. Sure, you might be a master swordman who could dance circles around an amateur, but if your weapon only does 1HP damage per blow due to your opponents superior stats, you're still at a huge disadvantage. We must also remember to add to this that players gain automatic skill with their weapons, so this gap isn't nearly as large as it would be in the real world.

I see what you're trying to do, but this isn't SAO. Having Shirayukihime kill higher leveled players or raid bosses purely because of real life sword skills kind of clashes with the setting. In Log Horizon, your level, stats and the skill of choosing the timing of which ability to use when matter more than your real life sword skills. While real-life sword skills would certainly help, I wouldn't call them an advantage so huge you can ignore levels.

The teamwork part still works though (Shiroe wouldn't exist if not for that after all), so I'd say focus on that instead.
Old 2013-12-20, 06:47   Link #59
Lazgrane
Dimension Exploiter

nah, that sound more like accel world to me.
Old 2013-12-20, 06:49   Link #60
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazgrane View Post
nah, that sound more like accel world to me.
Which part? The teamwork?

Tags
original content