AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-12-09, 01:19   Link #1
sukreih
okusenman!okusenman!

Steel Ball Run

From what I searched there were no SBR threads,so there, I made one. (Plus the Jojo thread was pretty much deserted ..)
To start things off,here's a brief info-
----
Steel Ball Run:Manga by Araki Hirohiko,famous for Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.Currently running in Ultra Jump.
SBR was named Part 7 of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure starting from book 5.(there was no indication as 'Part 7' before that.) Although named Part 7,people who haven't read the previous Jojo series will not have trouble reading it,for SBR is not a continuation of the previous chapters,and has a whole new introduction to the World of Jojo. Since it's intended to be not a part of the original Jojo,I thought it'll be appropriate to have a separate thread.

'Steel Ball Run' is set in the 1800s in America, where constants compete in a big race(named,yes 'Steel Ball Run') across the continent for 50 million dollars. SBR has a Western setting,with cowboys,outlaws and lots and lots of horses.(just saying that cuz I convinved my childhood,non-manga reading friend to read SBR and this future-vet friend just loves horses...)

The main character is Zyro Zeppli,a mysterious man who uses two spinning steel balls as weapons.Johnny Joestar,a once famed jocky who's paralyzed from waist down from an accident due to his own arrogance, notices his legs moved when he touched Zyro's uh..steel balls.(oh gosh this sounds weird) Johnny decides to join the race to unveil the mystery of Zyro's spinning steel balls.(GAH!)

Okay,maybe my thoughts are perverted..but when those two guys are frequently presented in way like...for example this and this,I sometimes reconsider the true genre of this manga...aw,whatever.I was half joking there.Besides,Jojo was metrosexual to begin with(starting from the 80s..). And it's one of the reasons I love Araki Hirohiko!
----

Currently 10 volumes are out, and I'm assuming it will run a lot longer than the previous Jojo chapters(each chapters had about 16,17 volumes.)..doesn't really matter cuz Araki Hirohiko & Jojo simply rulez.
So where do you read SBR? You can buy the manga...for scanlations,the only place I know of is Ignition-one,where they have SBR vol 1~4 scans. In my case I just bought all the dankoubons,but since I see people catching up without buying the books,I think there is a source somewhere.(Japanese Share maybe?) So..anyone?(hehe)

Personally,I think SBR is a must read for those looking for those unique,bizarre and nothing-like-it mangas.Plus,the artwork is awesome,complete with an interesting plot.I really hope SBR will be licensed in NA sometime.Jojo is a very underrated series in the NA,and it definately deserves a lot more attention!! Talking about licensed Jojo manga..what's with Jojo part3 coming out in every 4 months?That's wayyyy to slow..

Last edited by sukreih; 2006-12-09 at 01:29.
Old 2006-12-10, 03:49   Link #2
adue
★諒&あづさ★

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukreih View Post
his legs moved when he touched Zyro's uh..steel balls.(oh gosh this sounds weird) Johnny decides to join the race to unveil the mystery of Zyro's spinning steel balls.(GAH!)

Okay,maybe my thoughts are perverted..but when those two guys are frequently presented in way like...for example this and this
haha, it doesnt sound that perverted in japanese...(tekkyuu) if he called them スティールボールin katakana, or use "tama", it'd be a different story tho..

and those pics, you are talking about their beautiful friendship ;p ??
I'm following this series up to date and battles, plots are living up to my expectations from araki

(but i feel something is a lil messed up recently...but he will round it up awesomely)
Old 2006-12-10, 08:59   Link #3
sukreih
okusenman!okusenman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adue View Post
I'm following this series up to date and battles, plots are living up to my expectations from araki

(but i feel something is a lil messed up recently...but he will round it up awesomely)
I saw this issue of Ultra Jump...
Spoiler:

Quote:
and those pics, you are talking about their beautiful friendship ;p ??
Of course I am
Old 2006-12-12, 05:09   Link #4
adue
★諒&あづさ★

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukreih View Post
Spoiler:
=D
You are keen, I didn't really notice that. Yeah, thats a sweet theory for I dont like how he ends up, now I wanna believe in your theory...
But changing the original settings and getting away with it, is Arakism, too (e.g. Anasui) lol
Closed Thread