Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2003-12-26, 02:20   Link #1
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Thumbs up Platonic Chain

I know that I am not the only one enjoying this show. I was so hyped yesterday that we just got 3 new episodes of Platonic Chain.

As usual they are rather mind-bending. Here are my comments in spoiler blocks listed by episode to make sure that I don't ruin an episode for anyone. Just peaking at one of these spoilers will completely destroy the episode for you if you haven't seen it yet.

Episode 19:
Spoiler:

Episode 20:
Spoiler:

Episode 21:
Spoiler:

Now there are only 3 more episodes to sub. I can't wait for the rest.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2003-12-26, 04:34   Link #2
sothis

i really like platonic chain. unusual and unique, and charming, in its own way ^_^

i didn't know 17-19 were out. *goes to fetch them*
Old 2003-12-26, 08:36   Link #3
Lain

Well, I ask for original anime, and what do I get? Original anime. Granted, the first few episodes are utterly pointless, but as soon as the Platonic Chain starts to show some backbone...wow!
Old 2003-12-27, 02:36   Link #4
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Yeah. This is one of the most original animes since... well, since Lain.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2003-12-27, 02:50   Link #5
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Is it that good, I gave up watching this series a while ago around ep 10 I got tired of it. hm maybe i should start dl the fansubs again.
Old 2003-12-27, 12:45   Link #6
Relentless
Certifiably insane

Really, I knew it was good (or at least interesting), but does it truely become THAT good? I watched the first 6 or so episodes and liked it a lot. Then, with the brouhaha of groups stopping and joints disbanding, I just downloaded whatever episodes I could get my hands on, hoping that it'll eventually be finished. (I hate when it's doubtful a series will be completed)

From what I saw, it had a unique animated look, the best cell-looking CGI I have seen. The premise sounded quiet corny: bunch of girls hanging out in Tokyo's trendiest district. But the execution with the details and ideas using almost-almost-current, in-the-very-near-future communication technology were fascinating. It reminded me of old science fiction works like Ralph C141+ and Buck Rogers with their videophones and radio wristwatches and shopping with pneumatic tube. Was it sponsored by a cell phone maker or telco? Sometimes it looked like an advert about the novel ways new CT is going to change our lives. GALS! Kotobuki Ran but in the immediate future

Also, I heard that it was entirely made on Wintel machines. Neat, uh?
Old 2003-12-27, 16:54   Link #7
gho
anime fan

Send a message via AIM to gho Send a message via Yahoo to gho
Platonic Chain

I think this is one of the most inovative animes I have ever seem. Not to mention the great CGIs (I wonder if it is from the same creators of URDA), it has one of the best plots ever...

I am really loving it... even though it is quite small...

Please put the subs on the last 3 eps and tell us if anything else is released by that studio...
Old 2003-12-27, 23:50   Link #8
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gho
I think this is one of the most inovative animes I have ever seem. Not to mention the great CGIs (I wonder if it is from the same creators of URDA), it has one of the best plots ever...

I am really loving it... even though it is quite small...

Please put the subs on the last 3 eps and tell us if anything else is released by that studio...
Innovative and amusing, yes.
Great CGI? No.
I mean... the series certainly is interesting and unique, but the cel shading technology they were using was far from beautiful. However, that maybe intentional as I heard it was supposed to be a low budget thing.
Old 2003-12-28, 21:50   Link #9
gho
anime fan

Send a message via AIM to gho Send a message via Yahoo to gho
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas
Great CGI? No.
I mean... the series certainly is interesting and unique, but the cel shading technology they were using was far from beautiful. However, that maybe intentional as I heard it was supposed to be a low budget thing.

I see your point... but what I was saying is that it really looks good for me... I don't care if it even might be in a minimalistic way... maybe more detail would screw the whole concept of the thing... just like in URDA...

I also want to take the opportunity to ask if there is a way to get email notification when the last 3 eps are out...
Old 2003-12-28, 23:11   Link #10
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Quote:
Originally Posted by gho
I see your point... but what I was saying is that it really looks good for me... I don't care if it even might be in a minimalistic way... maybe more detail would screw the whole concept of the thing... just like in URDA...

I also want to take the opportunity to ask if there is a way to get email notification when the last 3 eps are out...
Just keep checking the torrents page you lazy bum ^_~
Old 2003-12-29, 01:08   Link #11
Jasconius
HnK Translator

Send a message via ICQ to Jasconius
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas
Great CGI? No.
Their cel-shading technology is better at capturing the "3d -anime-" look than anything else I've seen before or since. It's still rough, sure, but I really think if it were refined, there could be some awesome-looking 3d anime made with a good budget.
Old 2003-12-29, 12:30   Link #12
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasconius
Their cel-shading technology is better at capturing the "3d -anime-" look than anything else I've seen before or since. It's still rough, sure, but I really think if it were refined, there could be some awesome-looking 3d anime made with a good budget.
Yeah... it's just that half the time, it looked like they simply applied a 4 level quantization to the shades and added lines. Granted, the girls here are more realistic than the ones in Hoshi no Kirby, but Hoshi no Kirby exhibited better shading methods whereas PlaChe exhibited something like a halfway done version of Kirby's. It's rough, but it sorta gets the job done. Oh well, I think it might've looked a little weirder with a really well shaded CGI scene tho ^^;
Old 2003-12-29, 20:41   Link #13
Koshiba

Send a message via AIM to Koshiba Send a message via MSN to Koshiba
I'm a fan of Platonic Chain also. ^^ I thought maybe they stopped this project since there hadn't been any episodes in a while. But it's really great. I like it. ^^
Old 2003-12-30, 00:05   Link #14
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Fortunately A-F is still busy subbing PlaChe.

I understand that Seichi is also busy working on it. They are planning on re-releasing the entire series from the beginning because they aren't happy with how some of the first few episodes were translated. I've heard that Seichi is planning to be encoding every 4 episodes into a single avi with one set of OP and ED.

I have mixed feeling about this approach. On the one hand, it will be nice to be able to watch mega-episodes since they are so short. I swear that PlaChe must have the longest OP+ED to episode length ratio I have ever seen. (1:00 min OP + 3:05 min episode + 2:25 min ED = 6 min 30 sec video) The episode is actually less than half the total length of the video! Their plan to put one set of OP and ED around every 4 episodes will make the OP and ED seem a lot less repetitive.

On the other hand I don't think I like it because it feels like tampering. Fansub groups shouldn't alter anime to make it "better" to their perceptions. If the episode is supposed to be only 47% of the total length, then that is the way that it is supposed to be.

A final consideration is that Seichi claims that the reduction in OP and ED will make it easier to encode the entire series to fit on 2 CDs. While that seems to be a reasonalbe justification, I would like to point out that A-F's encode looks great to me and will also fit on 2 CDs when it is done. (Assuming average episode length there should be no problem!)

Closed Thread