AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2010-10-15, 12:11   Link #4821
Sonozaki Futagotachi
Translation Group

Thanks for the additional information, Yuhime. We think we've seen this issue before, so here's what I'd like you to do:

1) Go to the Ep6 patch folder - where you put the onscripter-en.exe - and make a file called "ons.cfg" containing the following word:
Quote:
debug
2) Run onscripter-en.exe and play the game until it crashes on the first letter, as usual.
3) Several folders should have popped up as the program started; one will be named "ONScripter-EN", another "Umineko6". Take the contents of those 2 folders and email them to UncleMion@gmail.com so that I can try replicating the issue.

Here's a possible fix for you (at least until I can make corrections to onscripter-en):
4) Rename the "Umineko6" folder that popped up to "Umineko6-old".
5) Run onscripter-en.exe again. Umineko will start up like a fresh install, with no game saves and none of the episodes unlocked.
6) Start a playthrough and see if the text displays correctly.

If it works, go ahead & remove the "ons.cfg" file, or at least change its contents to this:
Quote:
#debug
Good luck,
Uncle Mion
Sonozaki Futagotachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-15, 12:51   Link #4822
Yuhime
Someone who needs help~ ♥

Send a message via MSN to Yuhime
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonozaki Futagotachi View Post
Run onscripter-en.exe and play the game until it crashes on the first letter, as usual.
Ah, I forgot... The window doesn't crash! BGM plays, ME continues, but the right-click-menu and everything else doesn't work. I made a screen:

Spoiler for Screen:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonozaki Futagotachi View Post
Several folders should have popped up as the program started; one will be named "ONScripter-EN", another "Umineko6"
No folders popped up... =[
Yuhime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-15, 13:01   Link #4823
Digi-Dragon

Oh, that's fantastic! I mean, I've already bought EP7, but this means EP8 won't have any shipping rate. I can also get friends to buy it more easily -- without the long wait or the extra costs, it'll entice more people.

Thanks so much Witch Hunt.
Digi-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-15, 13:21   Link #4824

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuhime View Post
No folders popped up... =[
Yuhime: Are you sure you created the ons.cfg in the proper directory?

If yes, try running the umineko executable through the command prompt like this:

Code:
start / run / cmd
e:
cd "Games\Umineko\Episode 6"
cd "[WH] Umineko Chiru English"
"Umineko no Naku Koro ni EP6.exe" --debug
where e: is the drive and "Games\Umineko\Episode 6" is the directory where your EP6 is installed.

That way, the game should definitely pop up the explorer windows Mion mentioned.
Message is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-15, 18:07   Link #4825
The Creator
Golden Emperor

I really want to congratulate you guys.

I would be awesome if Alchemist would contact you so that people could buy the japanese version of the game, and download a patch that translates it. Having a localized version would rule too, but at least being able to download a patch, and moreover a patch translated by you, would be fucking sweet.

Congrats again!
The Creator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-15, 21:36   Link #4826
PrincessFawna

Hello, I'm completely new to Umineko no Naku Koro ni, and I seriously just discovered it about two days ago. I'm really interested in it, though, and I don't understand how I could get the visual novels.
Would someone explain for me please? (Like about where I can get the japanese version, then I assume that I'd use your translation patch and all...but I've never done something like this before, so can someone help me please?)
PrincessFawna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-15, 22:04   Link #4827
Judoh
Mystery buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFawna View Post
Hello, I'm completely new to Umineko no Naku Koro ni, and I seriously just discovered it about two days ago. I'm really interested in it, though, and I don't understand how I could get the visual novels.
Would someone explain for me please? (Like about where I can get the japanese version, then I assume that I'd use your translation patch and all...but I've never done something like this before, so can someone help me please?)
Check out Chronotrig's post above. You can now purchase and download them online from Hobibox. Before you had to go to go an import website like Ami ami or Himeya shop to get them in the mail.

well to save time just go to this link here. It's a pretty cool deal!

http://witch-hunt.com/stage.html

Last edited by Judoh; 2010-10-16 at 15:54.
Judoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-15, 22:29   Link #4828
Zero Sora

Oh sweet! Downloading with no shipping costs. But uh... I live in Australia Hopefully the downloading opens up to Australia by the time Ep 8 is out. Actually by the time the patch for Ep 8 is out. I'll have to refrain from buying Ep 8 until that time.

[Edit]
Nice to see the Witch Hunt website has updated with some % now. Hopefully that'll quiet a few people for awhile.
Zero Sora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 02:02   Link #4829

Judoh: If you want to help support Witch Hunt, please point people at the 'getting started' page, instead of linking directly to the HOBIBOX catalog. If people buy the game through the Witch Hunt website, WH get a small amount of money through affiliation. (As chronotrig stated in his post.)

Edit: Link is http://witch-hunt.com/stage.html

Last edited by Message; 2010-10-16 at 05:36.
Message is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 04:41   Link #4830
Judoh
Mystery buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Message View Post
Judoh: If you want to help support Witch Hunt, please point people at the 'getting started' page, instead of linking directly to the HOBIBOX catalog. If people buy the game through the Witch Hunt website, WH get a small amount of money through affiliation. (As chronotrig stated in his post.)
So you mean to say that by going to the witch hunt site's getting started page and clicking on the link to hobibox on the download page witch hunt gets money from the internet traffic? I guess maybe I misunderstood what Chronotrig meant when he said affiliate then. But I will do that next time since you asked.
Judoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 06:36   Link #4831
UnknownBeast

Wait what. Support W-H? W-H is starting to need money?

If you guys need anything, just open a donation box okay?

Cause I'm still ordering a physical copy so I can't help you guys that way.
UnknownBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 10:45   Link #4832
einhorn303

Out of curiosity, how quickly will Hobibox's site be updates with new episodes? Like after Episode 8 goes on sale at Comiket, how quickly will the download version for EP 8 be available? Or is that undecided for now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Sora View Post
Oh sweet! Downloading with no shipping costs. But uh... I live in Australia Hopefully the downloading opens up to Australia by the time Ep 8 is out.
You can also import a physical copy from Japan at sites like:

http://www.amiami.jp/shop/?set=english
http://www.paletweb.com/
http://www.himeyashop.com/

No region restrictions that way.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 10:49   Link #4833
RamzaOwns
GUN道奥義 「賢者の舞」

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
Out of curiosity, how quickly will Hobibox's site be updates with new episodes? Like after Episode 8 goes on sale at Comiket, how quickly will the download version for EP 8 be available? Or is that undecided for now?

You can also import a physical copy from Japan at sites like:

http://www.amiami.jp/shop/?set=english
http://www.paletweb.com/
http://www.himeyashop.com/

No region restrictions that way.
Probably won't be until the patch for EP8 comes out
Quote:
Please note that, even though the most recent installment of Umineko Chiru is "Episode 7", this site only offers Episodes for which an English translation patch exists -- "Episode 6" currently.
RamzaOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 11:32   Link #4834
PrincessFawna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judoh View Post
Check out Chronotrig's post above. You can now purchase and download them online from Hobibox. Before you had to go to go an import website like Ami ami or Himeya shop to get them in the mail.

well to save time just go to this link here. It's a pretty cool deal!

http://secure.hobibox.net/umineko/catalog.php
Thank you so much!
Old 2010-10-16, 12:18   Link #4835
PrincessFawna

Sorry, I have another question. Will this download work for my computer? Can it harm my computer? Do I have to do something to make it work/safe?
Old 2010-10-16, 12:22   Link #4836
Digi-Dragon

I've downloading games before from legal websites, and I don't think it will. As for making it work...well, in the past you've had to change your locale to Japan, though I'm not sure about that here. You can download it, I know for sure, but someone who's more well-versed in it will have to help you from there.
Digi-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 13:49   Link #4837
chronotrig

The download version itself is just a simple extractor, so it's more or less impossible for it to mess up your system.

There is no need to switch to Japanese locale for any purchased Episode if you use the installers, and if you get the download version, you can even use the installer-free method without switching locales. (Though you must be in Japanese locale to play the game in Japanese)

As I said in the first post, new Episodes will be added as soon as they are translated, and new regions will be added if the download version goes smoothly.
Hobibox is doing something that is rarely if ever done. It's no surprise that they're being a bit cautious at first.

www.witch-hunt.com Theory page
chronotrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 14:02   Link #4838
assirra

How is it possible that its still region locked?
Isnt that the whole point of having it downloadable that everyone can access it? :P
Well i will buy it from an importer if its not for europe i guess.
assirra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 14:26   Link #4839
PrincessFawna

Okay, thank you. I think I've figured it out now.
Thanks again~
Old 2010-10-16, 14:32   Link #4840
Sonozaki Futagotachi
Translation Group

It isn't exactly region-locked, but NScripter, the engine that runs the original Japanese game (which is what you're buying), depends on Windows Japanese system fonts; also, it can't open files with Japanese characters in the filename unless the locale is set to Japanese. This limitation is present in all versions of the original game, DVD or download.

The English patch comes with its own font, and the program that runs it (ONScripter-EN) can open Japanese filenames even without Japanese Windows locale, so you're able to play the game on Windows machines even without Japanese language support or locale ^^

Uncle Mion

Edit: Ah, I see assirra was probably referring to the fact that you can only visit the download site from US addresses... as chronotrig said earlier, new regions will be added if the download version goes smoothly, so let's try to make this experiment a success.

Last edited by Sonozaki Futagotachi; 2010-10-16 at 14:41. Reason: confusion
Sonozaki Futagotachi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
translation