AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-03-24, 05:29   Link #1
CelestiaLegends

A One Piece Rant

I think one of the main reasons One Piece is so popular is because it touches something deep inside a person, and that it's ok to dream. One Piece also makes me wonder what I'm doing, because in my life I'm doing absolutely nothing, I have dreams, but I just sit here and let time pass, and One Piece makes that painfully clear.

I don't think I'd be the only one to say so, but I do look up to Luffy. I feel like one of the unknowing charectors in the anime, shocked first by his strength, then by his spirit.

I don't think it's just an anime either. People might say it's only possible because it's fictional, but I wouldn't aggree to that, because even though the charector doesn't exist, the spirit certainly does, in the author at least, and problably most of the people who helped make One Piece, or else how could this phenemenon as a whole be possible?

Anyway, like I said, this is a rant :P I'm writing this as I'm listening to the opening and ending songs, so I'm in a One Piece-ey state, but say what you think
Old 2004-03-24, 07:39   Link #2
JecKeL
Captain JecKeL

Send a message via AIM to JecKeL

...lol
Old 2004-03-24, 10:27   Link #3
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

a lot of anime does this... the basic message in these types of shows is to aim really high and work hard to get that lofty goal.......... hokage, pirate king, shaman king, the greatest tennis/basketball/chef/fighter/swordsman/janitor ever, etc...

but I wouldn't take it as far by saying that I look up to Luffy...... afterall, he's just a bunch of animated lines with color...
Old 2004-03-25, 05:54   Link #4
Yujinbito

I've only seen one episode of One Piece, but it's interesting that it's affected you in this way. I'm glad that it has. That's what I like about anime, that when a fan tells you what their favorite show is, you know that it's their favorite because they really identified with something in it and the experience of watching it really meant something to them.

Of course, there IS a fair amount of irony in the common anime messages: 'follow your dreams' 'work hard' 'you can do it if you really try' because, well, how are you ever going to get anything done - much less work hard at it to do really good - if you're watching anime all the time?
Old 2004-03-25, 14:24   Link #5
Dual247

certainly a lot of anime touched me in some way or form. but i guess that's what the people who made the series wanted. they needed that kinda of response from fans in order to create a masterpiece. or else, it'll just fall flat. that is definiitely true of most american cartoons of the past. it just felt emotionless at times. like some action here and there and that's the episode, no emotional core whatsoever. of course i can't judge that on all american animations, the same way i can't say that all animes are great that way. but those that do bring out the great and powerful scenes are those that deserve great praise in my book.

one piece definitely are one of the best i've seen. throughout the series, nearly every arc provided scenes with lasting impressions in my mind. not many shows does that for you. its great that OP is gaining more and more audience each day, but at the same time, its a ashame that many never gave OP a second look due to their first look at the animation.
Old 2004-03-31, 10:25   Link #6
Time_Break

I agree completely. I've never seen a show that got to me the same way as One Piece has. Everything about it seems to hit just the right note, and it has more heart and soul than any other show I've ever seen. Anyone who watches it just to see pirates fight is really missing out on what the show really has going for it.
Old 2004-04-01, 04:00   Link #7
raspberihevn

Send a message via AIM to raspberihevn
Wow... I don't feel that way about One Piece at all. I watch it for the pure enjoyment of it and that itself satisfies and contents me.

What attracted me the most is Luffy's voice. His laughter and enthusiasm makes me giggle and want him to pursue his dream. It is his purity and naiveness that draws me into this story more and more.
Old 2004-04-01, 04:11   Link #8
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da

luffy inspired you?

the only anime characters that impressed me where kenshin and vash the stampede
Old 2004-04-01, 18:19   Link #9
luniz

I found Stellvia of the Universe and even Hikaru No Go much more inspiring along the "do something with your life" line...I mean as cool as being a pirate would be (I guess) saving mankind would probably be even better...
Old 2004-04-01, 18:23   Link #10
Avi
HeNta| ArmY WinG-Comman.

Send a message via MSN to Avi Send a message via Yahoo to Avi
ive seen alot of anime that give inspiration and much more... And i completely agree on how One Piece makes you think about "They're going thru all that, and we are jus sitting our asses here watching this" .. i feel it touches alot of people about Dreams and Inspiration One Reason why i love it
Old 2004-04-03, 22:10   Link #11
Evilbunny
Cave guardian

interesting
The only character that i ever looked up to was Rock Lee from Naruto. Damn what a hard worker.
Old 2006-02-19, 00:06   Link #12
manga wanderer

one piece is kindof homy in a way
Old 2006-02-19, 12:47   Link #13
nindo

Send a message via MSN to nindo
Luffy is the most awesome character in shounen anime/manga history! (imo)
Old 2014-02-23, 00:48   Link #14
Kvothe_Auri

Hmmm I can totally understand how it is such a wonderful and inspiring anime. I often cry when something sad happens in the show but I don't think you should be looking up to characters in an anime. It can be inspiring but you should have a real role model.
Old 2014-02-23, 08:39   Link #15
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvothe_Auri View Post
Hmmm I can totally understand how it is such a wonderful and inspiring anime. I often cry when something sad happens in the show but I don't think you should be looking up to characters in an anime. It can be inspiring but you should have a real role model.
Or maybe you should just be yourself generally and only absorb a bit from multiple people, so you are not just a bad copy of someone else

Also you just performed Necromancy on an 8 year old thread.
Old 2014-02-24, 02:08   Link #16
Rainbowman

Question: Why is this thread a rant? Aren't rants usually comments of hate?
Old 2014-02-24, 10:28   Link #17
noktown

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post

Also you just performed Necromancy on an 8 year old thread.
10 years old at this point
Old 2014-02-24, 12:38   Link #18
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by noktown View Post
10 years old at this point
I was refering to the last post, not the creation of the thread. But you are right, that this thread is 10 years old.
Old 2014-02-24, 13:21   Link #19
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
Why does it matter how old this thread is? You can still talk about the topic just fine.
Old 2014-02-24, 13:25   Link #20
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGoten View Post
Why does it matter how old this thread is? You can still talk about the topic just fine.
Depends on the way you restart the thread. If you are bringing up something new about the topic of the thread, then it is fine. However the way Kvothe_Auri worded it, it seems like answering to the posters from 8-10 years ago, which seems kind of pointless, because it is outdated and most of these people are not around anymore anyway.