AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2012-01-15, 16:31   Link #41
warita
Dai-Youkai

Those flat faced slaves ROFL

this is really cute and amusing. Also, I feel relaxed after watching this.
warita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 18:22   Link #42
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
I have only one thing to say:

Only the Japanese would think up something so absurd and funny like this!

OMG.

I have to stop and catch my breath from lol'ing so hard....

8.5/10 vote from me. REALLY funny.
Old 2012-01-16, 13:49   Link #43
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Only the Japanese would think up something so absurd and funny like this!
I think it's a clever little twist on the "character from less advanced world gets thrown into modern society" trope that is quite common in fiction. Here he only gets to experience brief moments and bring that knowledge back. That makes it very interesting, because you get to see how he tries to apply that knowledge in a much less technologically advanced era.

Just picked this up on a whim, I never even heard anything about this prior to its release. To think I almost missed it.

Lucius is a great main character. I love his overly serious expressions and strange tone of voice. Looks like a lot of fun, too bad it'll only be three episodes, but I appreciate the effort nonetheless.

I couldn't turn this show down when it offers such a rich soundtrack of classical music anyway, I'm a complete sucker for that. I recognized Dies Irae, Ride of the Valkyrie, Swan Lake, Grieg's Morning Mood and Waltz of the Flowers, I believe.
Old 2012-01-17, 02:36   Link #44
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

It's indeed funny, byt there's a thing that bugs me.

What's with those caps for milk bottles? How did the romans put them in, and wouldn't they have better solutions than something that requires a tool they don't have? Like plugging it closed with a wood cylinder, for example.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-19, 17:28   Link #45
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Spoiler for episode 2 (or 3+4):
Old 2012-01-19, 17:36   Link #46
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It's a shame - among the most interesting Winter series, one is 3 episodes and another is 3 minutes...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-20, 14:38   Link #47
ookamigirl

I really had fun watching new episodes ^^
Who would have known this would be among MY top anime this season!
That Lucius sure was interesting to watch LOL

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-20, 14:59   Link #48
Dop
Mmmm....

People put off this show by the animation don't know what they're missing, the latest episodes were hilarious.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-20, 18:09   Link #49
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

This one needs more attention, dammit. Then who knows the production team might consider making more.

Now, I need to buy the manga.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-21, 02:48   Link #50
brocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
It's a shame - among the most interesting Winter series, one is 3 episodes and another is 3 minutes...
What's the 3 min one? You can't just begin to namedrop something only to stop halfway yo lol

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-21, 03:23   Link #51
Kenn
Stomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
What's the 3 min one? You can't just begin to namedrop something only to stop halfway yo lol
That'd be this. Recorder to Randoseru.

http://k625.blogspot.com/ - Kenn's blog of random everythings
Kenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-21, 07:08   Link #52
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Poor Lucius. That can't be what he signed up for.
Old 2012-01-21, 11:28   Link #53
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
Indeed, Recorder to Randoseru...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-21, 12:14   Link #54
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Poor Lucius. That can't be what he signed up for.
Ah well, at least he found a way to keep his b***hole clean.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 01:00   Link #55
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

This show it's own damn series. ASAP.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 06:21   Link #56
warita
Dai-Youkai

The first two episodes were really good.... but the one with the toilet took it a little too far. I dont think Lucious would know what purpose the toilet serves or how to read pictograms on the control buttons or even know that one needs to press the button, since in Rome they didnt have any machines with control buttons. This somehow distroyed the feeling of realism from the first 2 episodes where Lucius acted semi normal by being caught off guard and merily observing and taking mental notes of what he could understand. The toilet scene seemed very unnatural to me.

I have shown this anime to my bf, because i thought he would love it just like me, but surprisingly he was slightly annoyed by the fact, that the creators of Termae romae make it sound like the romans coppied everything from the japanese. I contra argued, that it is a comedy show and also, the japanese make fun of themselves by having Lucius call them flat faced slaves or the ugly design look they gave the japanese people in this anime. However, this dissipated a little in episode 3 and 4 and now they have Lucius only admire them. Not a smart move in my opinion.

But I am really curious about the real action movies. I am going to watch those for sure!!!!
Old 2012-01-22, 13:20   Link #57
Undertaker

pictograms isn't that hard to figure out is it? it even commented that the picture show "something" happen with butt. Besides for all see know those might not be buttons but touch sensitive pads which isn't unusual in Japan.

Hate to say this, but their public restrooms (in building, not park) are extremely nice and touch or sensor type button isn't unusual.

As for Lucious's admiration, it only natural that when face with technologically more advanced nation not to mention we are talking about a nation that is almost 2000 years in future.

As for the anime making everything sound like th roman copied everything, it only applied if those advances Lucius brought back were indeed found in ancient Roman Empire. So far, none of the stuff in the shows I knew are anything originated from Romans.

Besides, the mangaka that created this, Mari Yamazaki, is married to an Italian, a grandson to a pottery master and herself is from a musical family with both of her parents performing in Orchestra and has lived and traveled there frequently since she was a kid and her manga works were all having to deal with Italian cultures, so I doubt this series is about national elitism.

Also in the original manga, between every chapters there are detailed explanation on the difference of the bathing culture between the two, as well as the trips she took or times spend over in Europe.
Old 2012-01-22, 14:41   Link #58
warita
Dai-Youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
pictograms isn't that hard to figure out is it? it even commented that the picture show "something" happen with butt. Besides for all see know those might not be buttons but touch sensitive pads which isn't unusual in Japan.
You seem to be forgetting, that our ability to recognize pictograms comes from our lifetime exposure to them. A person who has never had contact with abstract pictograms would not be able to read it. It is possible though he would touch the button out of curiosity and trigger the toilett function accidently and discovering this way, what the buttons are for. But it didnt happen that way, did it?

Also I never said that Romans had all the things Lucius copies from the modern japanese era. It is just a little annoying that they make it sound like the japanese know it all better: lookie here and learn from us. You know what would solve this problem? If the information flow was not so onesided. As in, if the japanese could learn something from Lucius... then this would be perfect!!!

Anyways, thanks for the extra info about the creator of the manga..... i can see where her interest in italian culture comes from.
Old 2012-01-22, 14:45   Link #59
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warita View Post
You seem to be forgetting, that our ability to recognize pictograms comes from our lifetime exposure to them. A person who has never had contact with abstract pictograms would not be able to read it. It is possible though he would touch the button out of curiosity and trigger the toilett function accidently and discovering this way, what the buttons are for. But it didnt happen that way, did it?

Also I never said that Romans had all the things Lucius copies from the modern japanese era. It is just a little annoying that they make it sound like the japanese know it all better: lookie here and learn from us. You know what would solve this problem? If the information flow was not so onesided. As in, if the japanese could learn something from Lucius... then this would be perfect!!!
He arrives naked and doesn't speak the language. What's he going to teach them in the few minutes he's there?

Besides, we're comparing modern Japan with ancient Rome. So, again, what do they have to learn? Auguries? Shieldwalls?
Old 2012-01-22, 14:48   Link #60
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by warita View Post
It is just a little annoying that they make it sound like the japanese know it all better: lookie here and learn from us. You know what would solve this problem? If the information flow was not so onesided. As in, if the japanese could learn something from Lucius... then this would be perfect!!!
That sort of goes against what Lucius would have done. He was trying to make up new ideas when he gets dumped in the future, and as such it's his priority to get as much information out of his circumstances rather than try to teach others. Basically, the situation itself goes against any attempt by Lucius to teach others.

More importantly, Lucius would be speaking Latin. I doubt anyone short of people over at the Vatican would truly understand what he is saying.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, seinen