AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2020-11-17, 10:57   Link #1
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Question Why is military moe taken so seriously?

Having just finished watching the Hai-Furi: The Movie and revisiting Girls und Panzer: Das Finale, it suddenly struck me that discussions surrounding anime of this sort are considerably more peaceable than they had been in both show's heydays. This does lead me to my question, which has been on my mind for quite some time: why to military moe anime in particular seem to bring about the most heated discussions. I have two examples that immediately come to mind: whether or not Miho's decision in Girls und Panzer to rescue her classmates in a sinking tank was justified, and whether or not the outcomes seen in Hai-Furi's first episode was "realistic" or not based on the armaments that a Kagerou-class destroyer historically carried. In both cases, discussions paid far too much attention to minor design choices that were intended as exposition.

I wonder why some paid the individuals behind the two discussions in question so much attention even when they had a history of being clearly wrong; while they occasionally pulled some technical facts off Wikipedia, they never adequately backed themselves up. In any case, it is a little baffling to me that people would listen to people who asked them to take their word for it because either they were allegedly "a 20-something, very intelligent, overachieving Korean-Japanese female who was a distant relative of the present Emperor of Japan, graduated from both Tokyo and Yonsei Universities, works in a fortune 500 company owned by her parents and had a net worth of 10 million dollars" (appeal to authority) or constantly told others to "read the source themselves" (burden of proof).

I'll reiterate that I am glad things now are much calmer, but I'm still wondering why the genre gets the most heated discussions: is there something about the genre, and certain figures in discussions, that make people take military moe so seriously?
Old 2020-11-17, 11:36   Link #2
0cean
Transfer Adventurer

Doesn't it just attract military otaku nitpicking details?
Old 2020-11-17, 17:18   Link #3
DarkShame2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0cean View Post
Doesn't it just attract military otaku nitpicking details?
or a younger demographic , maybe.
Old 2020-11-19, 13:21   Link #4
ArrowSmith

Dunno, I find the idea of cute girls doing 'tankery' utterly obnoxious and hilarious at the same time.

Heavy Object was a better show in this regard. I don't understand why that show got so much hate.
ArrowSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-20, 18:04   Link #5
RichardFromMarple

It makes me think of this.

https://v1.escapistmagazine.com/news...ion-of-Mascots
RichardFromMarple is offline   Reply With Quote