AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross

Notices

Old 2008-12-30, 23:40   Link #461
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by March View Post
Yeah, that's an old one. I don't mind Fukuyama's version; it's pretty good. Yoshiki Fukuyama actually isn't that bad a singer. Out of the context of M7, he could actually be pretty good, I'd wager. It's the character of Basara that destroys the whole thing. That, and listening to Planet dance a dozen times every episode
I like all the songs from M7 but good lord they had to over use that one ><

BTW I like Basara its just any slow down or dragging of story makes him 100X worse than he really is >>

Kinda the same with Sheryll she becomes annoying in bad story zones even then shes only 50X annoying :P (yes I did just go there)
ZippyDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-31, 14:34   Link #462
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Oh, you're sooooo dead, ZippyDSM...

Now, I really am having problems understanding all of your problems with M7. I'm not finding it anywhere near that bad...

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-31, 14:48   Link #463
ZippyDSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Oh, you're sooooo dead, ZippyDSM...

Now, I really am having problems understanding all of your problems with M7. I'm not finding it anywhere near that bad...
Meh *draws a map for the torch and pitch fork crowd, with pitcutes of a party,cake and cookies* roast me for all I care :P

As I have said a while ago I enjoyed M7 and its better paced than MF with its character and story dev, its not prefect and dose have story issues but frankly past the aged animation its no better/worse than MF generally speaking. Hell MF might have been better if they gave it a 2 season run and not rushed so damn much...of course this means more domestic goddess/princess eps in SOL vill but at least the core story and charatcers would ahve been a bit more polish.
Old 2008-12-31, 17:40   Link #464
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by March View Post
It's the character of Basara that destroys the whole thing. That, and listening to Planet dance a dozen times every episode

Then you can imagine my utter confusion when I watched Macross 7 in the mid-90s as a person in his late teens. See, my cousin visited from Japan, and was kind enough to bring with him copies of Macross PLUS and the first few episode of Macross 7. So the result was that we watched Macross PLUS and 7 back-to-back.

Now, after 4 episodes of OVA goodness, we proceeded onto 7, thinking that as a sequel, it should do much better in terms of quality. Obviously, what we thought was not true... in fact, the first thought that came to my mind was:

WHAT THE HELL!?!?!

Followed by:

I see that is a VF-22 and VF-19... but... WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO IT!!! NOOOOOOOO!!!

The rest is history...

- Tak (Kawamori betrayed me)

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-31, 17:53   Link #465
ZippyDSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post

Then you can imagine my utter confusion when I watched Macross 7 in the mid-90s as a person in his late teens. See, my cousin visited from Japan, and was kind enough to bring with him copies of Macross PLUS and the first few episode of Macross 7. So the result was that we watched Macross PLUS and 7 back-to-back.

Now, after 4 episodes of OVA goodness, we proceeded onto 7, thinking that as a sequel, it should do much better in terms of quality. Obviously, what we thought was not true... in fact, the first thought that came to my mind was:

WHAT THE HELL!?!?!

Followed by:

I see that is a VF-22 and VF-19... but... WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO IT!!! NOOOOOOOO!!!

The rest is history...

The visaul style sucks mostly due to the animation qaulity, if ti was abit better it might not have looked like a streamlined transformer from Toei land... then again I have seen good style/designs with poor animation qaulity....
Old 2008-12-31, 18:18   Link #466
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer

Well, even though Macross 7 successfully managed to stray from the canonical settings and introduced some unusual characters with virtually no development it still did a good job in some areas. OVA's were quite good actually.

I never really liked Plus as well. Sure, it had amazing aerial fighting scenes but still, I never managed to develop any form of attachment to the characters.

AD 2314 Mobile Suit Gundam 00
~A wakening of the Trailblazer~

Urei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-31, 18:26   Link #467
ZippyDSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urei View Post
Well, even though Macross 7 successfully managed to stray from the canonical settings and introduced some unusual characters with virtually no development it still did a good job in some areas. OVA's were quite good actually.

I never really liked Plus as well. Sure, it had amazing aerial fighting scenes but still, I never managed to develop any form of attachment to the characters.
I dunno M7 meandered in between story progression but it moved more smoothly than MF IMO still rake up all the flaws from both and they become about even with MF being easier on the eyes.

I didn't get plus it felt contrived and forced, My only complaints about zero is it felt rushed but was solid enough due to time considerations.

Despite my love/hate with M7 its style and designs are well done and a nice mix of both classic SDF and M7.
Old 2008-12-31, 22:32   Link #468
March

Quote:

Then you can imagine my utter confusion when I watched Macross 7 in the mid-90s as a person in his late teens.

*snip*

WHAT THE HELL!?!?!

The rest is history...

LOL! I can well imagine

Just try to look at it in a positive light. Macross 7 was Kawamori's attempt to make us feel like Zentradi: culture shocked and at his mercy
March is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-01, 21:01   Link #469
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
So the result was that we watched Macross PLUS and 7 back-to-back.

. . . .
Oh god, I went through something similar. After all the drama that is Macross Plus, Macross 7 all of a sudden takes flight into hippy territory. What the hell!

I think Macross Zero achieves a better balance between mecha seriousness and sci-fi mysticism ideas. The same goes for Macross Frontier, which instead of simply portraying music as a weapon of cultural shock, totally regards it as some kind of actual power as well.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-01, 22:53   Link #470
ZippyDSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
Oh god, I went through something similar. After all the drama that is Macross Plus, Macross 7 all of a sudden takes flight into hippy territory. What the hell!

I think Macross Zero achieves a better balance between mecha seriousness and sci-fi mysticism ideas. The same goes for Macross Frontier, which instead of simply portraying music as a weapon of cultural shock, totally regards it as some kind of actual power as well.
Did you watch M7 any? They explained it as a power..... sure the whole thing was goofy in its balances...
Old 2009-01-02, 00:41   Link #471
kujoe
from head to heel

I think you misunderstood..? I was talking about the balance between those two concepts of which Macross Zero and Macross Frontier achieve better... at least in my opinion.

The part about music being a weapon of culture shock was referring to the original series, and I was merely pointing out that just like Macross Zero (and M7) Macross Frontier does portray music as having an inherent power of its own as shown in the events of its story.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-11, 03:00   Link #472
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Send a message via ICQ to iamandragon
Beware of eyeburn, else first look at this image:

http://gallery.darkmirage.com/2008_j...G_2962.jpg.php

I seriously need to know what on earth is this!?

If you burned your eyes, yeah, that was my first intention impression.
iamandragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-11, 03:04   Link #473
ZippyDSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamandragon View Post

If you burned your eyes, yeah, that was my first intention impression.
Muscle drag cosplay is new? Thats so 90s!
Old 2009-01-11, 04:13   Link #474
Tak

Quote:

Old, I posted that a long time ago. Hokuto no Ken parody.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-01-11, 09:11   Link #475
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Send a message via ICQ to iamandragon
Quote:
Old, I posted that a long time ago. Hokuto no Ken parody.

- Tak
Yeah I need to know the name of it.
iamandragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-11, 23:04   Link #476
mechabao

Sheryl = Toki
Ranka = Raoh
mechabao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-12, 03:15   Link #477
Natsuki Hyuga
(☞゚∀゚)☞ロンパアアアア!! 

Send a message via MSN to Natsuki Hyuga
Quote:
Yeah I need to know the name of it.
Macross Fist. I do not know if it is a doujin or fanworks compilation. I will guess it is a compilation book from a doujin artist though...

Natsuki Hyuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-13, 17:30   Link #478
everkam

Hey all. Anyone heard about the macross continued?
everkam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-13, 17:36   Link #479
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by everkam View Post
Hey all. Anyone heard about the macross continued?
What and which is this Macross continued you are referring to?

- Tak

Old 2009-01-13, 22:54   Link #480
March

Never heard of it.
March is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
q&a